February Weight Watchers - The Skinny Valentines! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh Shannon, a gain when you've done well on program all week just plain stinks. I'm sorry but I bet if you stick with it this week, that next week you'll get a pleasant "surprise." It's still demoralizing though and if you need to vent more, please do.

Ami, you got any dumplings left over?? We're getting a ton of snow today and dumplings sound so good. I may have to go out and get some ingredients. And I feel like you do about the soy and meat. I do use fake meat for some things because I want to reduce the meat we eat for both nutrition and the environment and well, the animals. But ethically raised and correctly fed meat can be a good thing too!

Nina, you hit goal!?!? Wow!! Congrats!!! : : That is fabulous!!! So, you think another 5 pounds will really be your goal? You can do that easy-peasy since you've already hit a goal once.

Thanks for the recipe, Tiger! That looks delicious.

I WI in an hour and a half. I've got to start getting around and go about my day. The kids have "gym day" with our homeschool group today too. And I've got to get my CSA share. Brrrr driving today...

Have a great day OP everyone!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Hi, everyone! I fell off the wagon a bit late last month, but I'm still down 4 pounds since Christmas. I'm in this for the long haul.

I have a question about healthy oils--do nuts count? I often eat oatmeal with seasalt and almonds or walnuts. Yum!
#63 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. I tried flaxseed oil on my oatmeal this morning. An hour later and I still feel like I was to puke. Blech.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#64 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
<<I know that we can only count 5 zero point servings of food a day. Any more and then we are supposed to start counting how much the calories add up. Correct me if I'm wrong!>>

The limit of 5 zero point foods per day is for things like sugar free jello, FF cool whip, WASA crackers, etc. Zero point vegies aren't counted in the limit.

The reason for this is that any food eaten in a small enough quantity is a zero point food. It would be possible to really play games with the program without the limit. And all those foods have calories.

But you can eat all the vegies you want. They never add up to more than zero.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#65 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

But you can eat all the vegies you want. They never add up to more than zero.
Oh my, I think you just made my day, Linda! :::

I've got three dumplings left over, but you'll have to fight ds over them, lol. It's amazing, really, because he won't eat very much, but with this soup, he has downed BOWLS, as in like a grown man bowls, lol. And he's only 17 mos! Snow, ugh.: If you decide to make dumplings using my 'recipe' (mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter & stir in 'milk'), they get pretty big, Like palm sized BIG. Mmmmm. lol

Way to go Nina! I didn't know that about Lindt chocolate, now I'm going to have to get some. Mmmm, one point, good dark chocolate.

Annettemarie, I'm sorry the flaxseed doesn't like you. It doesn't like me either, if it makes you feel better. Have you thought about walnut oil? I've never had it, but it's supposed to taste 'walnut-y'. If not, grapeseed oil is really good for you & has a really neutral flavor. It's also not as delicate as flaxseed oil.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#66 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPeace View Post
I have a question about healthy oils--do nuts count? I often eat oatmeal with seasalt and almonds or walnuts. Yum!
no, the requirement is for pourable oil. Nuts are really good for you and are a great way to use points, but the requirement is to make sure you get the minimum amount your body needs, and it is hard to measure exactly how much oil you are getting if you can't pour it.

#67 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM

With regard to the veggies -- I use eTools (which automatically figures points for food) and if you eat enough vegetables, they do start to add up. For example, one or two cups is salad is 0. However if you eat four cups (which I can do), it's 1 point.

If you're not using eTools, I'm not sure how you'd handle this. I think the lesson here is moderation in all things.
#68 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65 View Post
With regard to the veggies -- I use eTools (which automatically figures points for food) and if you eat enough vegetables, they do start to add up. For example, one or two cups is salad is 0. However if you eat four cups (which I can do), it's 1 point.

If you're not using eTools, I'm not sure how you'd handle this. I think the lesson here is moderation in all things.
Is eTools the website through WW? I'm surprised that salad is adding up to points. I thought that the 0 pt veggies were truly unlimited & always zero, hmmm?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#69 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM

I know it happens with baby carrots. You can eat a few and their free, but eat a bag and you're paying with points.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#70 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
Is eTools the website through WW? I'm surprised that salad is adding up to points. I thought that the 0 pt veggies were truly unlimited & always zero, hmmm?
My leader says to count zero point vegies as zero regardless of quantity. She has yet to meet any one for whom over eating vegies is keeping them from losing weight. None of us is doing this because we were eating too much broccoli! (At my meeting there are several life time member and a couple of people who've lost over 100 pounds. They all say the same thing.)

But technically, you're right. If you eat enough of the same vegie, it can calculate as a point because the fiber caps out at 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I know it happens with baby carrots. You can eat a few and their free, but eat a bag and you're paying with points.
Carrots aren't a true zero point vegie because 1 cup of cooked carrots equals 1 pt. It is starchier than the zero point vegies. 10 baby carrots is zero, but with more, there is a point.

You do get the most of your points by eating a wide variety of foods rather than stuffing yourself with one thing. Which makes sense, because it is more satisfying to eat a wider vareity so we are less likely to over eat.

#71 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM

I thought someone here said you do have to count the points for healthy oils, but on the WW site it says:
Quote:
You don't have to count POINTS values for the 2 teaspoons of healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, and flaxseed oil) that you need for good nutrition each day (see the Good Health Guidelines).
http://www.weightwatchers.com/plan/i...nguide_10.aspx
(You may not be able to see that if you aren't a member; I don't know)

#72 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! My first WI, I was down 1.2 pounds. I wanted a big loss my first week but I'm 5 years older than the last time I did this and dropped 7 pounds my first week. My body has changed a bit. And plus, you never know what's going to happen next week. I also did have a mini chocolate binge after WI. I used to do this every week my first time through WW but we lived in a town that had a "Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company." The lady behind the counter used to get such a kick out of asking me how my weekly weigh in went. The first time I stopped, I almost inhaled a pound of sea foam.

Anyway, that's how I use my weekly point allowance. I need one session where I don't keep track and I can eat whatever god-awful thing I want. I had Zingers, a Heath bar, and some Coke. I wrote it down and I'm ready to be back on program.
Fine. I had a Cadbury egg too. You caught me!

Annette, that's really interesting. Thank you!

What was everyone's topic in their meetings this week so far? We discussed liquids as part of the GHG and how the requirement has changed from 64 ounces of plain water everyday from a few years ago. It always amazes me to see how many people don't like plain water.

I count veggies when I go over the serving limit too.

And welcome back, Chasing!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#73 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 PM

I don't know the official answer to the oils but I will be watching for it.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#74 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Evening munchies - well, there's always just going to bed really, really early. I have a 7 a.m. shift and a 2yo to nurse down, so that helps. I also keep a Lindt 70% dark chocolate bar in the cupboard - a square is only 1 point, what's wrong with a little chocolate? It actually helps me because I think "Do I really want to burn 4 pts eating this muffin, when I could be having chocolate?"

I did my WI today and I lost 2lbs and I am at 125!!!! Goal weight :

I am going to re-set my goal to 120 lbs. I am 5'3 and very fine boned and I still feel there is more to lose. I am getting my circuit training program redesigned and I will get my body composition checked by my trainer then.
wow WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#75 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Ugh Shannon, a gain when you've done well on program all week just plain stinks. I'm sorry but I bet if you stick with it this week, that next week you'll get a pleasant "surprise." It's still demoralizing though and if you need to vent more, please do. !
Aww thanks, Jennifer.
I have been at this same weight for 2 months now. i was doing so well and then I was on/off over Xmas and moving and now Ive been back on track for 2 weeks but the same weight. And every time one of my kids is sick that means I cant go to the gym and leave them at the kids club. I did go for a walk last night in our neighborhood and when I went to our preschool meeting, I didnt eat ANY of the food they had out, which included chocolate, chicken wings, mini quiches, cookies, chips and dip, etc!

I think last week my problem was PORTION. Sure the soup I made was very healthy but estimating how much I put in the bowl and how many points it was isnt going to cut it.

Ive been snacking on special K bars, FF popcorn, and healthy choice fudge bars. Getting my vegetables in soup or cooked in omelets. And I need to start doing the pourable oil. And I never count like, ok Ive had my 5 veggies, I need another dairy, etc. I just eat what I want. Its hard for me to follow the GHG. Its almost too much structure for me, when I already have to think and plan my meals based on points.

And I will tell you, the idea of .25 a lb being a stick of butter, and if you only lose that much, picture a stick of butter coming off of your hips -- this has stuck with me all week! If I lose a lb thats a box of butter! I am going to share this with my group.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#76 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM

<<You don't have to count POINTS values for the 2 teaspoons of healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, and flaxseed oil) that you need for good nutrition each day (see the Good Health Guidelines). >>

If you are doing the Simply Filling Plan, then you don't count points for the 2 oils. On Simply Filling, you only eat filling foods (plus your 35 WP and any AP). You don't have daily points. (It is what they used to call "core")

If you are doing Momentum (using daily points and eating what you want) then you count the points for the oils.

#77 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM

I need to be back in here. I was on WW last year from March to Sept and lost 30lbs. I quit in Sept because of budget problems and just signed back up again Jan 17. I've gained back 14lbs in just 3 months!!! I was so freaking shocked. Anyway, I do ww online only. I'm hoping to be lose 30 by my 30th birthday which is in August. I also struggle with fitted whole foods into the ww plan, because I'm really trying hard not to get sucked in to diet foods full of chemicals and other artificial crap.

Evening munchies: I don't battle with that, it's usually after school (work at a school) until dinner time. I've been trying to up my protien and fiber intake, and drinking a ton of water. The first two weeks were hard but this is my third week and my body seems to be getting used to it.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#78 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Do any of you weigh your food? Has it helped with your portion sizes? What type of scale do you use? (aka the cheapo plastic ones in the 'kitchen' area, a postal scale, etc?). If you love your scale, mind giving me a link/idea of where to buy it?

I try to go by the 'visual' sizes chart, but seriously, I've had flattened chicken, long, super skinny fishies, etc that are hard to gauge accurately(if it's half as thick as a deck of cards, but more circle than square, and ''looks'' to be 'two' decks widthwise, is it really ONE serving of protein?, etc). I think I'm just going to suck it up and get a scale.Thing is, I don't know which ones are good, and I don't want to throw away good money on a bad scale.

Thanks!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#79 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
<<You don't have to count POINTS values for the 2 teaspoons of healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, and flaxseed oil) that you need for good nutrition each day (see the Good Health Guidelines). >>

If you are doing the Simply Filling Plan, then you don't count points for the 2 oils. On Simply Filling, you only eat filling foods (plus your 35 WP and any AP). You don't have daily points. (It is what they used to call "core")

If you are doing Momentum (using daily points and eating what you want) then you count the points for the oils.
Thanks for that!

One thing that's driving me nuts is they don't really explain the oils on the website besides "these oils are good. eat them". Maybe it's clearer if you go to the meetings.

#80 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Annette, the oil is a relatively new thing to WW and they are probably still figuring out how to figure it out for the best results for the most people. WW is always learning and changing and flexing a bit. It's one of the things I like about it and one of the things that drives me nuts.

Shannon, anytime! I'm with you on the portion thing too. I think I'm actually going to buy the WW measuring cups next time I'm there. Then again, Ami's scale idea is probably pretty good too. The butter stick thing came to me one day when I came home from WI and had only lost .25 pounds (it was my PMS week!). I pulled out a stick of butter and thought it looked gross. You know how a little butter is yummy on toast but too much is disgusting? I thought about my body shedding a stick of butter and felt better about the loss.

Welcome back, Hey! We'll get that 14 pounds back off you. :

Alright. I've got a date with the Stairmaster. Tomorrow morning is 1 1/2 hours of Bikram yoga. I really, really hope I like it.

#81 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM

OK, I'm obsessing about the oils because it seems really mean to make me count points for something that tasted disgusting and made me burpy all day.

#82 of 777 Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Annette, the juvenile delinquent in me is glad it's only coming out as burps.
But if you burp enough, does that make APs?

#83 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
OK, I'm obsessing about the oils because it seems really mean to make me count points for something that tasted disgusting and made me burpy all day.
It sounds like what you did today really didn't work for you at all. Do you like the taste of olive oil? One easy way to have oil is on a salad. I like a nice tossed salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and some fresh ground pepper. Another very natural way to eat oil is to stir fry some vegies in it.

I know you tried flex oil today. That isn't a type that I've ever tried. I use olive oil when I want the flavor, and Smart Balance (which is a blend) when I don't want any taste.

And I'm so sorry that you were burpy all day!

#84 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 AM

I had a very emotionally hard day today. I am an emotional eater.
I didn't go over points but I made a lot of really poor choices early on in the day.
Any ideas that I can use so I wont turn to food. This is a huge one for me because years ago, I would actually starve myself during stress or emotional times. I lost tons of weight, and really I didn't need to lose any weight so it was very unhealthy. It really messed up my metabolism and my health.
I try to journal my feelings and I try to face head on anything that comes up and gives me the urge to eat and smother my feelings/stress.
Sometimes that just doesn't work though. So any ideas?
#85 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hazel, got a friend you can onload on? That always helps me. If not, want one?

I've got Bikram yoga in an hour. I hope I love this!!!

How is everyone else doing today?

#86 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM

I've haven't checked in since yesterday afternoon, and I've missed a lot of conversation!

Congrats to Nina for getting goal!

I had WI and my meeting last night and was down 1.2. I was very pleasantly surprised since I didn't have a very good week between blowing it at the brunch buffet on Sunday and being sick so not able to exercise as much. But I will take it, and make sure to stay OP this week!

Last weeks meeting was about goal setting, and I didn't set any goals for last week, but decided to set one for this week. This week, I am going to focus on all the GHG and make sure that I can check off all the little boxes on the bottom of the tracker every day. So far today I used one oil when cooking an egg for breakfast and I am drinking a big latte right now which will count for both my dairy servings. I'm planning to have fruit with all my snacks today and veggies with lunch and dinner. And I need to get another oil in with either lunch or dinner today. Water is a pretty easy one for me on weekdays. I have a 26oz water bottle on my desk that gets filled up 2 or 3 times during the work day plus whatever I drink at home.

I'm finally feeling better, so I am going to get back to working out tomorrow. I thought about going to the gym today, but I decided that sleep was more important! (I get up early to go to the gym or use the treadmilll at home, so I wanted the extra hour sleep to hopefully fight off this cold for good instead - it worked I am feeling almost 100% this morning.)
#87 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM

-1.8 when I weighed in today. :

ETA: Total loss of 12.2 since January 5.
#88 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Natasha and AKWife!! Natasha, water is the easy one for me too because I love hot tea. And after Bikram ypga today, I'll have NO problems getting the water in.

Holy $#@~$#@, that is the hardest I have ever physically worked in my life. I feel great but I'd really, really like a 5 hour nap, sans children. I also have ZERO appetite right now. I'm hoping to feel a bit better after my bath since it's lunch time. But I needed to come here after that class to record my minutes in the challenge.
I want credit for that workout!!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

#89 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Holy $#@~$#@, that is the hardest I have ever physically worked in my life. I feel great but I'd really, really like a 5 hour nap, sans children. I also have ZERO appetite right now. I'm hoping to feel a bit better after my bath since it's lunch time.
When I was doing Bikram, I found that what I ate and drank the day before had a huge impact on how my body handled the 90 minutes. It's a very powerful form of yoga, I wish I had a studio closer!!! I have yoga envy.

I'm so happy for everyone with their WIs. Mine wasn't so good today. I gained little. Here are my stats:

starting weight: 205
lowest weight: 142.2
today's weight: 143.6

I really can't complain. It's my TOM which always throws my body off and last night's dinner was high in sodium, but still. I do so many things right, it's nice to watch the numbers go down. May be next week.

#90 of 777 Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Can I ask a n00b question? How do you budget out your points? Like, around how many do you use for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, for snacks? Do you try to use more at the beginning of the day? Do you save them for dinner?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page