February Weight Watchers - The Skinny Valentines! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question about oils
Is anyone using coconut oil as their 2 tsp/day? I'm realizing that not including oil daily is the only place where I'm not following the ghg. If I cook something that needs oil I will use evoo, but when I'm not cooking something in oil, I usually just skip it all together : I know the oil is supposed to be pourable oil, so that is why I was wondering, because it is pourable if the temp is warm enough. I stumbled accoss this thread today

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1007064

and it really got me thinking, about how not including healthy oils, is not good for me. I have a hard time ,mentally using 2 whole points on fat. Then again I have all those flex points left over each week. Plus reading that thread made me want to add CO to my diet. So for lunch today I had spaghetti squash with 2 tsp of coconut oil & chopped chicken breast on top. Boy was it good! Take a look at that thread if you have a minute. But do you think that in my case adding CO is better than no oil?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#122 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I plugged into the recipe builder 8 cups of water and 1/4 cup of raw sugar (and I find it hilarious that 1/4 of sugar seems almost too sweet to me now; I could actually do less). I get 8 servings in a pitcher and it's telling me 0 points. But the sugar is 3.5 points, and I can easily drink a pitcher a day (did I mention I am tea addicted? )

Do I could each serving at 0 points, or claim the 3.5 points in one lump?
The official WW line is that if a food is eaten at least 4 hours apart, then you calculate the points a fresh. For example, if you a zero point amount of sugar in your tea, and then 4 hours later have another zero point amount of sugar in tea, you have another zero. However, if you have them closer than that, then you need to add the amounts of sugar up and see if it equals a point.

If you decide to space them out, remember there is a limit of 5 zero point foods per day, and then you gotta count the points.

You might need to play around with it a bit and see how it works for your body.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#123 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
Question about oils
But do you think that in my case adding CO is better than no oil?
Yes. I think that oil is super important for our health and that the FF craze has left many of us with weight issues without enough of it. It also makes us prettier and more youthful looking!

If coconut oil makes you happy, then use it! Who knows, may be WW will add it to the list next year.

#124 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM

I just had the yummiest snack.
Low fat vanilla yogurt with a cup of Kashi GoLean. YUM. 4 pts.
#125 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
The official WW line is that if a food is eaten at least 4 hours apart, then you calculate the points a fresh. For example, if you a zero point amount of sugar in your tea, and then 4 hours later have another zero point amount of sugar in tea, you have another zero. However, if you have them closer than that, then you need to add the amounts of sugar up and see if it equals a point.

If you decide to space them out, remember there is a limit of 5 zero point foods per day, and then you gotta count the points.

You might need to play around with it a bit and see how it works for your body.
Good to know-- thank you!

I'll probably end up taking away some of the sugar and counting those points. I really missed my sugar in my tea!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#126 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM

I am so impressed with all of you exercising mamas!

I was just this school year able to take a 3x/week hi-lo cardio class at the Y which I adore (my oldest is now in school all day, and my younger is three years old and loves babysitting at the Y). I haven't exercised this regularly since I was in junior high and I am crazy about our teacher, who is 55 years old and in great shape (but not scary -- very relatable). I just requested two hours with a personal trainer to put together a weight routine as well.

My good news is ... I lost 2.6 pounds this week! I have lost 5% of my body weight, hooray! I could really feel it this week. And the trick was ... eating more. Doesn't that beat all? Thanks to everyone for your good advice and encouragement.
#127 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

JessasMilkMama, thanks for sharing your gym daycare experience! I think I'll try that from now on. I'm hoping that once he sees all the other kids, he'll forget all about me & go play.

AnnetteMarie, if you drink the entire pitcher in a day, I'd list the points at the end of the day. I'd do this because I find that I have serious issues about fudging if I let little things slip. Like not counting the sugar points might cause me to not be as careful about measuring them each time I made a new pitcher. If you are really accountable for everything else, it's probably ok to just 'count' them in the 5 zero-point servings a day thing.

CookiePie I'd use it for your 2 tsp/day requirement. Coconut oil is healthy, even if it isn't pourable. I think the pourable requirement is there because many people don't really OD on olive oil or canola oil, kwim? It's also much easier to measure than a solid fat. I like butter, so that's what I use for cooking. I use EVOO for cold things, where it won't get heated.

emmasmommy, like Linda said, you don't have to use BMI with a doctor's note. I'm really muscular, so even at 160 (I'm 5'2'') my body fat % was pretty low. If I were at the lower range for my weight, I wouldn't look that great. BMI is a guideline, not an absolute.

Linda you are the veritable fount of WW Knowledge! I vote we make you WW Team Leader of this thread!!:

Nina I'm sorry the online program is giving you problems. Computers can be so illogical at times, lol! If you're losing weight with 24pts, stick to it. Are you dropping points to lose weight faster or just to try it out?

Exercise

I'm pretty sedentary. Yesterday was my first day back at the gym in 2.5 yrs. It was awesome!!! I LOVE IT. I also am not as out of shape as I thought I would be. I can't run for 30 min straight like I used to, but I can still run!
My plan is to go 5-6x a week. 3 of those days I'll do the couch to 5k program, then try to get weights in. The other 2-3 days I'll do bike or elliptical for an hour, plus weights. So far I'm good in the cardio department, but not the weights. Anyone have a good strength training program they'd like to share?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#128 of 777 Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have to force myself to exercise. I hate it!!

The nice thing about having kids for me is that they want to be outside all the time in warmer weather. We often pack up the jogging stroller for a day and can spend 7-8 hours walking around and adventuring. They want to walk and run now too but when they were littler, oh I could walk for HOURS in peace and quiet. It's a lot more stopping and starting now but it's still a lot of fun. We take our nature bible and GO!
And then there's walking to the parks and spending the day there...

Ok, I'm hungry for spring now!

I have committed to going to Bikram every other day for 10 days and then I'll re-evaluate.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#129 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom;13136721[B
Linda[/B] you are the veritable fount of WW Knowledge! I vote we make you WW Team Leader of this thread!!:
: No, I gained a pound last week! We need someone in charge who actually lost!

#130 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'll probably end up taking away some of the sugar and counting those points. I really missed my sugar in my tea!
I thought of something else. Since it basically works out to 1/2 point per glass, you could just count it that way and do half points. It might be a way to be fair with yourself -- counting what you consume but not over charging yourself.

#131 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That works for me!

I had a victory moment tonight. I had a co-op planning meeting and made sure to pack myself a snack (10 carrot sticks, a laughing cow cheese, and a 1-point Curves bar, 2 points total for the snack). I'm glad I did, because holy cow, it was Cookie Fest '09!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#132 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
CookiePie I'd use it for your 2 tsp/day requirement. Coconut oil is healthy, even if it isn't pourable. I think the pourable requirement is there because many people don't really OD on olive oil or canola oil, kwim? It's also much easier to measure than a solid fat. I like butter, so that's what I use for cooking. I use EVOO for cold things, where it won't get heated.

Linda you are the veritable fount of WW Knowledge! I vote we make you WW Team Leader of this thread!!:

Exercise

I'm pretty sedentary. Yesterday was my first day back at the gym in 2.5 yrs. It was awesome!!! I LOVE IT. I also am not as out of shape as I thought I would be. I can't run for 30 min straight like I used to, but I can still run!
My plan is to go 5-6x a week. 3 of those days I'll do the couch to 5k program, then try to get weights in. The other 2-3 days I'll do bike or elliptical for an hour, plus weights. So far I'm good in the cardio department, but not the weights. Anyone have a good strength training program they'd like to share?

Ami
Thanks that makes sense about the oils. So you even count butter towards your oil? I'll vote for Linda as our all knowing leader! Ami good for you for getting back to the gym! Exercise is so empowering, isn't it? Keep it up, but start slow, especially with the weights, mine are combined into the cardio classes. But on the days that we don't do weights I'm beginning to want to get onto the weight machines, but I'm waiting for someone to show me the ropes, it's intimidating. One of the girls is going to meet me before class on Monday, to show me what she does.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#133 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning everyone!

Well, I'm an idiot. I hate breakfast. But I know I need it. It makes me nauseous usually, so for my breakfast, I have 2-3 cups of skim milk with some Ovaltine and a banana or a Fiber One bar. Milk doesn't disgust me in the morning for some reason. So anyway, I give myself 8 points for it every day. And I've been deducting that from my 27 points of course and giving myself 17 afterwards. Uh, math anyone? 2 weeks in and I find out I can't do math.
The only day I did my points correctly was the day I didn't have breakfast because even milk made me sick to think about. Duh.

More yoga today. If you never hear from me again, I loved this group well.

Annette, way to go on the preparing ahead for the meeting!

Hazel, you out there?

Ami, have you asked at your gym for a weights consultation? I had this young whipper-snapper at my old gym who listened to me about my back pain and weak arms who designed a custom program of free weights and machines that worked fabulously for me. Does your gym offer something like that?

Oh, the old days pre-kids where DH and I used to spend 2 hours at the gym everynight and 3-4 on the weekends...

Meli, congrats on your loss!! That's a good one too.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#134 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Jen - at your math!! I am math challenged too, it sometimes takes me awhile to subtract points! Or I ask dh who is a whiz at doing math in his head, and he just rolls his eyes at me because it was such an "easy" calculation! Good to know now that you actually have 2 more points that you can eat!

I worked out on my treadmill this morning and used one the pre-set programs. It was a speed ramp-up (basically a pyramid - speed up and then go back down) and I set it to do a 45 min work out, so I assumed that it would climb up and then down and the whole pyramid would be over the 45 minutes. WRONG! The program apparently can only handle the default setting of 20 minutes, so it ramped up and down in about 18 minutes and then the rest of the time was walking at the lowest speed for that level (2mph). So I stopped, and started the program again to do another pyramid. This time I set the workout for 30 minutes and spent the last 13 or so walking at 2mp. I can't believe the program can't adjust to a longer workout time, I was not happy.

I'm experimenting with breakfast to see what keeps me satisfied longer. On Wednesday I had a homemade egg "mcmuffin", so basically an egg and cheese on an english muffin, and used an oil to cook the egg. I was pretty satisfied through the morning and the rest of the day I was never overly hungry. Yesterday, I had shredded wheat with milk and 1/2 cup canned fruit salad, and I was starving all day long, I felt like I did nothing but eat and did dip quite a bit into my WPA's even after using up my activity points. I don't know if it was because of my breakfast or something else, but I went back to the egg muffin to see if the protein and bit of fat will keep fuller longer.
#135 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Can I come in? I did WW in the summer to lose the baby weight--which I did. Now I would like to lose a little more, and I've been trying Spark People but I'd like to cross check with this. I have a question--using the ww info, I figure that I get 31 pts? Is that right even if I am not nursing exclusively anymore? I am nursing tons, don't get me wrong, but 11 month old DS eats anywhere from 25-150 cals a day in solids. What do you other mamas do? I know, this question has probably come up already. I'm too lazy to research it right now. Also, I wasn't sure how to put my activity level. I am basically sitting down most of the day, except for that I exercise 40-45 minutes a day using The Firm or fast walking. What would you put as your activity level in that case?
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 141-142? Scale not sure. In the lower 140s
Goal: 138 (for now this is my goal. I would like to go lower, but I need small goals)

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#136 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Welcome!

I'm not sure about the nursing points since I'm not nursing anymore, but I think the guideline is to give yourself 2 pts per nursing session up to a max of 10. In the materials for the new plan that was just released it says to give yourself only 5 pts for nursing if your baby is taking solids or formula in addition to nursing, 10 if baby is exclusively breastfed.

I would put your activity level as mostly sitting and then give yourself the additional activity points for the exercise. At least that's how I do it. My exercise is over and above my usual day to day activity level. I work full time in an office, so I put my activity level at the lowest.
#137 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I just couldn't remember what I put last summer as my level. Although it was summer and I was out and about much more.

#138 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

With the nursing points, you have to find your own level. I think that the "5 points/day if your child is taking solids or yadda yadda yadda" must be for kids who don't nurse that much? I was still taking all 10 of my nursing points when I got to goal last time (and then got pregnant) so I was at 34 pts at goal! I don't subtract points (in fact, right now I'm having to almost add more) until I feel like I"ve really stuck to plan and have only lost a small amount each week for several weeks.
#139 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

thank you to everyone who gave me insight about the BFing points.

and.... I've decided to bite the bullet and go back on WW. It's been awhile and although I lost plenty of weight the first go I was further damaged by poor mind set while on WW and terrible body/self image issues. I'm going to eat up the food I have now that won't be suitable on WW and begin on my next grocery shopping trip. I'd start now but, dh and I are on a frugal binge and I'm not going to waste the food I have now. I imagine the bad stuff will be pretty much gone within a week... then I will take the plunge!

I don't know that things will be different this time but, I do hope so. I just dug back through photos from the very end of my first go at WW and was in shock. I remember how icky I felt then. How I thought I was still to 'chunky', overweight, flabby, big, etc. I had a sort of disconnect looking back at those photos. I looked at my former self that at the time I thought wasnt good enough in the physical body department and said out loud, "Holy c**p. I wanna look like that!". Then I sort of realized that I DID look like that not too long ago... because that was ME! It was so odd... I thought, what the heck was wrong with me, I looked good, I was thin, maybe even too thin... how could I have thought I was still too big then???

Well, dd was about the same age ds is now when I went on WW that first time. Difference being, I'm exclusivly BFing this time and wasn't then. I weigh about 4lbs more now than I did then. So I'm basically sitting in about the same position as I was the first time. It took me about 5-6 months to get to where I was in the photos I just found so my hope is that I will be at a comfortable, healthy, weight by dd's 4th birthday, Oct 14th.

I'm starting to get that, "I'm on my way to healthy thin" excitement back (even though I'm sort of dreading giving up my cravings and naughty foods ).

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#140 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM

FondestBianca--I hear you. I was just "tagged" in some facebook photos by some friends from a long time ago and thought that I looked GREAT--and at the time, thought I was a house. It's really incredible. Maybe the same is true now, and I really look great? :nana: There's wishful thinking!

#141 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM

I have a question. Does the birth control pill affect weight loss?
My dr just put me back on the pill because I have endometriosis and I'm scared to death I am either going to gain or stall!!
Please tell me there are good stories out there (not all the ones that say, I gained 20 lbs while on the bcp)! and if anyone is on one they really like could you tell me the brand? thanks!
#142 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I'm going to eat up the food I have now that won't be suitable on WW and begin on my next grocery shopping trip. I'd start now but, dh and I are on a frugal binge and I'm not going to waste the food I have now.
That will give you time to think through your meals and snacks. I think it is kinda hard to just jump right in. I need to plan.

Quote:
I thought, what the heck was wrong with me, I looked good, I was thin, maybe even too thin... how could I have thought I was still too big then???
I really don't have a clue what I look like. I know that sounds wierd, but I feel oddly detatched from my body and fuzzy on how to "judge" it.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
I have a question. Does the birth control pill affect weight loss?
I think that it is harder to maintain/lose while on BC, but it is a basic cal in/cal burned equation. If you stick to the plan, it will work, but it might be harder for you to stick to the plan. So while you might have to work harder to figure out how to stay on plan, if you can work that out, then it will still work.

#143 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I think that it is harder to maintain/lose while on BC, but it is a basic cal in/cal burned equation. If you stick to the plan, it will work, but it might be harder for you to stick to the plan. So while you might have to work harder to figure out how to stay on plan, if you can work that out, then it will still work.
why will I have to work harder to figure out how to stay on plan? I'm just curious if there is a change in how to stay on plan when on BC? I'm really bummed by this. I don't want to be on it, but I have to be for my body. I told her just to take the stupid thing (uterus) out. She wont unless I keep having more problems.
sigh....
#144 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
why will I have to work harder to figure out how to stay on plan? I'm just curious if there is a change in how to stay on plan when on BC? I'm really bummed by this. I don't want to be on it, but I have to be for my body. I told her just to take the stupid thing (uterus) out. She wont unless I keep having more problems.
sigh....
Hazel, the three months I was on bcp I was also on WW. I didn't have any trouble losing weight. In fact, it evened out my body's normal weight swings during the month. Since you are going to be really mindful about your food intake, I think you will be fine.

ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#145 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Set Points -- has anyone tried them? I did for the first time today -- was hungry for grapes and didn't know how many points. Looked 'em up on eTools and found they were 1 point for 1 cup, or 2 set points -- that is, I could eat them 'til I was full for 2 points. I went for it and it was great not measuring for a change! I just kept them in a bag on the table and popped a couple in my mouth every time I passed by (I was doing laundry and vacuuming and mopping at the same time). I figure I ate two cups over half an hour. Very nice!
#146 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65 View Post
Set Points -- has anyone tried them? I did for the first time today -- was hungry for grapes and didn't know how many points. Looked 'em up on eTools and found they were 1 point for 1 cup, or 2 set points -- that is, I could eat them 'til I was full for 2 points. I went for it and it was great not measuring for a change! I just kept them in a bag on the table and popped a couple in my mouth every time I passed by (I was doing laundry and vacuuming and mopping at the same time). I figure I ate two cups over half an hour. Very nice!
Wow, WW has really changed since the last time I went! I don't have the $$ to go to meetings or use the stuff online, so I'm using all my material from 2004-2005.

That being said, are there lists for food with 'set' points? How do they figure out set points?

Ami

#147 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hazel, I was on BC to try to help with infertility issues before I got pregnant with DD and lost 60 pounds in 5 months with no problem.
So no horror stories from here. Do what will help your body the most.

I had yoga tonight and although it wasn't easy, it was easier than the first session. I could fall in love with this!

I haven't done set points yet.

#148 of 777 Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM

Jennifer-60 lbs in five months! I want that!!

Thanks JTA mom and Jennifer! I have hope that I can do what I need to in order to take care of my problems and still lose weight! One day at a time!
#149 of 777 Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
sigh....

For many women, changes in our hormones change how hungry we feel. For example, many women find it easy to stay on plan except for the week before their period, when staying on plan becomes much more difficult. Our hormones levels also seem to effect how we balance our fluids (i.e. retain water).

#150 of 777 Old 02-07-2009, 01:28 AM

yeah I forgot about the retaining water thing.
as far as the hunger goes, I have been hungrier the last couple of days but I've been really good about staying within my points and I will make sure to do it always.
I guess I'll have to see what happens with the water retention. I guess if this one makes me retain, then I'll have to try another one.
thank you for pointing that out Linda. It is something I need to be mindful and aware of.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page