February Weight Watchers - The Skinny Valentines! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here we are for Febuary.

Hazel, try that shepherd's pie. I had it for dinner last night and at 1:00 the following day, I'm still full. I've had a glass of milk and a Fiber One bar today because I'm just not hungry yet.

I'm going to make myself eat it for lunch.

I can't help but think about the sexy lingerie I'm going to get next Valentines for myself. Anyone else have silly goals?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#2 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Hi everyone! I'm still bouncing back from my .4 gain this week :

Hazel, I don't know about eating up all your extra points the day before weigh-in -- right or wrong, I always figure that it will show up on the scale to eat lots of "extra food" the day before. If you really haven't been hungry enough to eat them, why not just see what the results are?

I am grumpy, grumpy, grumpy today.
#3 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Is it PMS Melissa or do you have a good reason to be grumpy? I wish I could send you some 0 point chocolate but if it even exists, it tastes like crud.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#4 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM

I'll definitely try that shepherds pie, Jennifer!
I dont think I will be trying to eat all those points today. As it is, I've had a bowl of cereal and a cup of milk and am not hungry at all. Usually by now I start to feel hungry (or maybe out of habit from overeating, etc).
We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess. Tomorrow will be WI and a new week.
I've decided to be happy even if I don't lose. At least it's not a gain, right?
#5 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Meli-I've been fairly grumpy myself today.
My dd is sick and has been for some time and now DH is sick and I swear he is worse than my dd (2 yrs)!
#6 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I wouldn't stuff myself just to use up the WP. That doesn't make sense to me. If there is a little treat that you've been denying yourself, you might go ahead and relax and enjoy it.

Just let this week be this week and do your WI, and then decide what to do next week. If you decide that you want to use all your WP next week, then you could plan for it -- a few extra points every day or a special meal or whatever.

As far as what we eat the day before effecting WI, my experience is that other than high sodium foods, it doesn't really make a difference that quickly. Releasing fat is a gradual process. Letting go of tricking the scale to a lower number is very helpful for long term success. If you weigh yourself, pee, and then weigh yourself, you haven't really lost any weight even if the number is lower. You still have the exact same amount of fat.

The same goes for all our habits -- people who skip breakfast on WI days, for example, are doing something that lowers their metabolism. Even if their WI is less, they aren't acting in a way that is good for their weight loss. Our WI is only one measure of our success.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
If you weigh yourself, pee, and then weigh yourself, you haven't really lost any weight even if the number is lower. You still have the exact same amount of fat.
LOL Linda, you totally called me on that one!
I'm not going to try to stuff all those points in today. I just couldn't. I'm not even hungry at all today. I will eat somethign at every meal but this week I'll just call a bust (unless I lose!). Next week is a new week!
#8 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
but this week I'll just call a bust (unless I lose!).
Why call it a bust? Have you had a NSV (non scale victory)? Did you learn something new about yourself? Did you make it a point to take care of yourself in some way that you didn't used to? The scale is only one measure of our success. We love it when it rewards us, but there are so many other ways to monitor how we are doing.

#9 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks for being so positive Linda! You are helping me to look at this in different ways and realize that it can be still be good!
#10 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I shyed away from the January thread because, even though I was using WW online to track my eating, I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to be sticking with WW. My discounted membership (through insurance) runs out this month, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay more. But I'm losing, and my husband was all for paying the $16.95 a month, so I guess I'm sticking with it!

I'm a little worried about the super bowl party I"m going to tonight. It's hard to track nibbles.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Can I join you guys? I'm starting today! Woot! lol

I did WW a few years ago & lost 40 lbs. 2 back to back pregnancies later, and I gained those 40lbs plus 10! ARGH. I tried doing some crazy diets for the last few months, but other than losing 5lbs, nothing was happening. So I am going to try the one thing that worked--Weight Watchers! Trying to avoid all the tracking just wasn't working. Plus I knew I couldn't cut out certain food groups forever. I just like bread too much.

Hazel, as far as eating all your WP, they are there for you to use if you still feel hungry after eating all of your DP. So if you're not hungry, don't sweat it. They are also there for splurges, like say, birthday cake.

Meli65, .4 gain is so small a gain. Shoot, a pair of pants weigh more than that! Maybe your body is holding on to some water for some reason or another. Maybe you've been a little less 'regular' this week. Either way, don't get down. Did you lose a lot of weight last week? I find that for me, if I lose a lot (like 3lbs) the next week my body gains back a little bit. It's ok, because the next week it's gone. I guess it's just my body's way of reacting to big losses. Maybe yours is similar?

Jennifer3141, may I have that Shepherd's Pie recipe? I feel so out of counting points, especially when it comes to home cooking, so I'm trying to collect as many 'ready made' recipes that have all the points already figured out. Thanks!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#12 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Love the thread title
My WI is tomorrow so I will be back to post. PMSing so who knows. I did well this week but only exercised a couple times.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#13 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Linda, you are SUCH an encouragement, thanks for your posts!

I'm hanging in. I've been really hungry the past few days, and my DD is doing that early-walker nursing slowdown, you know, how they get too busy to nurse? I keep thinking I'm going to switch over to regular points and just add in 2 extra points per real nursing session... but then I'm hungry and I wind up adding them in regardless, and call them WP.

Can someone post the GHG's again for this thread? I am doing WW on my own with materials from core/flex turnaround.
#14 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Letting go of tricking the scale to a lower number is very helpful for long term success. If you weigh yourself, pee, and then weigh yourself, you haven't really lost any weight even if the number is lower. You still have the exact same amount of fat.

The same goes for all our habits -- people who skip breakfast on WI days, for example, are doing something that lowers their metabolism. Even if their WI is less, they aren't acting in a way that is good for their weight loss. Our WI is only one measure of our success.
This is such a good point, and something I need to work one!

I've done so much eating out this weekend. Last night we went to a retirement dinner with dh's work. It was at a Greek restaurant and the food was not that great. Good thing it didn't use too many of my points. I had chicken with a lemon oregano sauce, and others at the table who had ordered the same thing were joking about our "naked chicken", you couldn't see the sauce at all, it looked like a plain grilled chicken breast. It tasted OK though it was a bit overcooked and the presentation could have been better. The veggies were that frozen corn, peas and carrots mix drowning in butter. The potatoes were good though! Today we went to the zoo with another family and they have a Sunday brunch there. Buffets are the devil when you are on WW. I went in there with a plan that I was going to fill up on lots of fruits and veggies and then just some of my faves. Nope didn't happen. I had some fruit, no veggies, and two plates of food. But comparing to how I would eat at brunch buffets pre-WW, this was better, my plates weren't overflowing, and I stopped even when I did want more. If only I could treat a buffet like dd2. She at one pancake and some Jello, that's it! We did walk around the zoo for 2.5 hours after eating, so that earned me a bunch of AP's anyway. I'm still full and haven't eaten since then. Dinner tonight is going to be light. We have some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge, so I think I may be putting it on a salad or something. I think I will just check off the rest of my WPA's and AP's and not bother trying to count the damage from the buffet.
#15 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

The Shepherd's Pie I've modified:

Oh Hazel, I start out fast on WW but then slow down pretty much too. 1 pound a week will be typical for me after the first month. Slow and steady wins the race though, right?

Here's what I do for shepherd's pie:

2 bags of Boca or Morningstar "meat" crumbles.
1 box/can of veggie broth

Add the meat crumbles to the broth and reduce it by simmering it away. Add whatever seasonings you like. I crush some garlic cloves too, add Mrs. Dash, ande a bit of garlic salt and fresh rosemary.

Tonight I added three different kinds of frozen bagged beans: crowder beans, lima beans, and blackeye peas. I stirred those in and let them get warmed up.

Lastly, I add a frozen bag of mixed veggies. Stir it in and warm it up.

I topped it off tonight with a bag of frozen mashed potatoes to which I didn't add the milk or butter.

Then I baked the whole thing for about 1/2 an hour.

Veggies are 0. Broth is 0. "Meat" is 1 point per serving. So are the potatoes with nothing else added. Crowder beans are 2. Blackeye peas are 2. Lima beans are 1.

This is my "fill me up" meal. It's got so much fiber that if I eat it at lunch, I have to eat a late, late dinner.

I use as much organic stuff as I can in it. Sometimes I add greens to the broth too. >>

#16 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Linda's post on the Good Health Guidelines:

<< Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp
thanks everyone!

what is ghg?

good health guidelines

5 serving of fruits/vegies
2 (or 3) servings of diary
2 teaspoons of healthy oil
2 servings of lean protein
6 servings of water (or other liquid)
vitamin pill
at least 1/2 of all grains are whole grains. (no grains are required, but if you eat them, then half should be whole grains)

if you don't follow the GHG, you aren't on plan, even if you are within your points.

#17 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts everyone! I wish I could blame PMS but that's not the case -- just the usual stuff being on the annoying side, like dh and and my two sons.

Linda, I love your attitude! I have been feeling discouraged because I feel like I am trying relaly hard and am just not seeing the kind of results I thought I would be. Trouble is, I did WW 15 years ago when I was in my late twenties and lost pretty easily then. Now I am 43 and as a neighbor told me, "once you hit 40 you have to do twice the work for half the results." And so it seems.

I had a little pity ice-cream party for myself and actually feel pretty good about it -- I'm ready to put it behind me and get back on board again tomorrow.

I was thinking about emotional eating and all the stuff they tell you do to instead -- take a walk, call a friend, etc. But the thing is ... if it were that easy, I would do that instead! But it's cold out, and I'm stuck with the kids, and can't think of anyone to call ... hmm. I will give this some more thought.
#18 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

JessasMilk, good luck on the WI tomorrow! I hope you end up with a nice, healthy loss.

And AnnetteMarie, it's great to see you in here! Post your stats if you're comfy, don't if you're not. Welcome!

Ami, welcome to you too! I did WW before my DD was conceived in 2003. Had her in 2005, DS in 2005 and now I'm back getting back all the weight I've put on since then by not taking care of me. I feel the exact same way about WW. Nothing else has ever worked for me.

Oh crud. The 1000 minutes thread is up. Now i'm going to have to go do my stairmaster. (I was playing a secret game with myself - if the thread didn't show up today, I was going to take the day off!).

#19 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM

i'm here, still hanging in. i was at 196.4 yesterday, but 197.2 today. that was all those pretzels and dip and goldfish crackers and birthday cake and ice cream yesterday. oh, and pizza.

i'm getting back on track. amazing thing: today i did not even want that birthday cake! i did have 1/2c ice cream though (premium, wow, i forgot how ice cream could taste if it's not low/non-fat).
i had:
1 slice leftover pizza (no meat)
handful of goldfish crackers (about 22, or 1/5 serving)
salad with about 1c cubed ham and hmm, maybe 2oz at most feta cheese, 2tsp olive oil with balsamic, a Tb or so of raw sunflower seeds
maybe 1Tb peanut butter (licked off a spoon
7 chicken wing sections, baked, no butter but lots of hot sauce
steamed broccoli
1/2c premium vanilla ice cream

i hope to start back exercising soon. i am gung-ho to start decluttering though and want to do that more!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#20 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65 View Post
I was thinking about emotional eating and all the stuff they tell you do to instead -- take a walk, call a friend, etc. But the thing is ... if it were that easy, I would do that instead! But it's cold out, and I'm stuck with the kids, and can't think of anyone to call ... hmm. I will give this some more thought.
meli, you are welcome to call me if you like. i don't know where you live but if you PM me i can send my number. i am in NC and i would love a ww buddy!

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#21 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone clue me in on healthy fats? I'm checking off everything but those.

What kind of stats? Like weight?

I started out in January at 206. By the end of the month I was at 196. Tomorrow is my weigh in day. I do the online program, so I weigh in at home on my scale, first thing in the morning.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#22 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Linda, you are SUCH an encouragement, thanks for your posts!
Your welcome! Typing it up helps keep it fresh in my mind. This is a process for me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Can someone clue me in on healthy fats? I'm checking off everything but those.
2 teaspoons of healthy oil each day. This needs to be a pourable oil, such as olive oil or canola oil. You can cook with it or stir it into food, and you do need to count the points for it (1 pt per teaspoon).

This was the hardest part of WW for me when I started. It seemed so strange. I was pretty much fat free before, and I couldn't believe that I could have that much oil and it would help with weight loss. I decided to try it for a week and just see what happened.

My skin looked sooooo much better at the end of the week! I'm 43, but since I added the oil into my diet, I look younger.

I'm not sure that it helps me lose weight, but it does help me stick with the plan because I feel more full. Because of this, I try to get it in at lunch.

I find it easiest to get the exact amount by adding it to other food, such as a smoothie or applesauce.

Even if it seems wierd to you, I would encourage you to give it a test drive for a week and just see what your experiences are.

#23 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Do you guys want to do daily topics or daily questions? I was thinking that emotional eating would be a good topic.

#24 of 777 Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Do you guys want to do daily topics or daily questions? I was thinking that emotional eating would be a good topic.
&

Evening munchies and how you all battle them...
Exercise routines...
Convenience foods/meal planning.
#25 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Linda, that's a great idea!

And yes, Annette. Those stats.
10 pounds in a month is GREAT! Congrats! Do you see/feel a difference?

#26 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM

I am really..... intrigued to see what will happen at my WI tomorrow.

This was the first week that I did not try to cut down on carbs. I adore any type of bread, rice, or grain but I do always eat whole grain. I cut back on the protein this week so I would have more room for carbs and it was great. I was much, much less hungry and cranky. Whether this will translate to weight loss, only time will tell.

This is also the first week that I've done an "off-plan" meal. I went out last night with my DH and I had 8 points, 20 WP and 15 AP left so I figured I could eat pretty much anything within reason. I had a baby spinach salad with feta and sundried tomatoes, flatbread with pizza sauce and cheese, 1/2 of a piece of chocolate cake and a cafe au lait. I counted it as 30pts. Before WW I would have ordered a greasy appetizer and pasta or steak, plus a whole piece of chocolate cake, cocktails and wine, so I'm calling it a victory.

I also counted my AP differently this weeks. I do 45min strength workout 3x a week and 2 days of cardio. My strength workout was designed by a trainer and it is all supersets with cardio intervals and no resting on the weight bench. I feel kinda cheated getting just 2 AP for "free weights, vigorous effort." I put 45 min into the points calculator for "moderate" and got 2 pts. Then I changed it the hightest intensity and got 5 pts. I figure on that scale my workout is a 3.5 - it's not the equivalent of running for that amount of time but I'm definitely working out of my comfort zone...I would not really consider it "moderate." Is that kinda cheating? I work harder than most people who do free weights at the gym and spend half their workout resting on the benches.
#27 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
This is also the first week that I've done an "off-plan" meal. I went out last night with my DH and I had 8 points, 20 WP and 15 AP left so I figured I could eat pretty much anything within reason. I had a baby spinach salad with feta and sundried tomatoes, flatbread with pizza sauce and cheese, 1/2 of a piece of chocolate cake and a cafe au lait. I counted it as 30pts.
As long as you also followed the GHG, then you were on plan. Using your points the way you want to is part of the plan, which is why WW works well. It's livable long term because you CAN do things like enjoy a nice dinner with your sweetie.

Quote:
I also counted my AP differently this weeks... Is that kinda cheating?
It's really hard to say. The most accurate thing you could do is get a heart rate moniter and use it and convert your calories to APs. Otherwise, just do it this way for 2 or 3 weeks and see how it goes for you.

#28 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Jennifer3141, thanks for the welcome and the recipe! It looks really yummy. Gosh, I haven't had Shepherd's Pie in soooo long. :

It's midnight here and I actually stuck to my daily points!!! It's amazing, actually, that the only thing I really had to change was my portion sizes. I am actually eating pretty healthy--just way too much of it. I did have the hungries throughout the day though. I waited way too long between breakfast & lunch though, about 4.5 hrs, and I became hypoglycemic, aka all shakey. Didn't help that breakfast was very carby either. I'm not diabetic, I just trend towards having low blood sugar, esp. if I don't eat protein heavy.

I'm actually amazed at thinking how much mindless munching I usually do. Shoot, by 8pm I still had some points left over, but I remember thinking about how I would prolly have snacked on a couple of handfuls of raw nuts, maybe had some dark chocolate, etc etc. Those 'little' nibbles really do add up!

I guess I should also post my stats, since I forgot to in my intro post.

Ok, here goes.

Height: 5'2''
Current Weight: 207.5 (UGH!!!)
Goal Weight: 130-135.
My End-of-the-Year Goal weight will be 157lbs. I should be able to do that, as it's a teeny bit more than 1lb a week.

I also want to go to the gym 5-6 days a week. Back when I was exercising regularly, it made me feel sooooo good! I'm going to use the Couch to 5k running program, mix it with some extra elliptical/bike cardio and I will get in as much strength training as I can. I hate strength training, but I need it. I just hate how I can't really daydream through it, like I can while doing cardio. Anyone else dislike strength training yet still do it consistently? How do you do it?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#29 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 AM

subing

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#30 of 777 Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 AM

I had WI this morning!!! I'm down -2 lbs!!! I guess that the exercise that I started is helping!!! I'm so ready for this week. Like I say, each week I have a loss I'm so motivated to see what the next week will bring. Ok I have to go get ready for my kick & sculpt class this am!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page