February Dingos - Running for Love! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wendy Plady

I need to catch up on my reading.

rr: 2.65 miles in 30, ran 2 in 20:20 the rest was warmup and cooldown. I've started a 9 week training program for a 10K. I haven't signed up yet but when I do I'll post it for the race list.
#62 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
CT, I will be interested to see how you harness the girls for a Tri. I have to admit it is one of the things that I would worry about. I can't imagine not running in an enell, even for 3 miles! how do you other mamas do it?!
I think we touched on this subject when discussing plastic surgery... and I got the idea that most dingoes (like most serious runners in the general population) are on the smaller boob side of teh spectrum.

This is my plan for the tri.... I've bought a tri racerback tank and tri lightly padded (short) bike shorts. I plan to wear those as my outermost layer for all 3 legs, but I will pull on a skirt for the bike and run. I've been swimming with a champion racerback bra under my reg suit, and it's fine..... but I woudl never just run in a champion bra and a shlef bra in a tank. I have not tried it, and I really don't want to. So, I've decided to get a black enell to wear under the tank. The back will totally show, but who cares. and I may pull on a cotton tee/tank for teh run or something. ANyway, that's my plan..... (are you thinking of joining me in teh tri

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#63 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 AM

mamabeth~That was exactly one of the things that I was super worried about when I signed up for my first tri. I do know more than a couple of women who wear a quick-drying sports bra underneath either a swimsuit or tri-tank/tri-suit. I was still either a 38DD or an F cup when I did my first one. I literally went to REI and tried on every tri-tank they had in stock. I stood in the dressing room and ran in place and jumped around to see how much support the built-in bra was going to give me (and got some pretty funny looks from DS while I was doing it, although he was only 13 months or so ). I was pleasantly surprised to find a top that actually had enough support...it was still essentially a shelf bra, but the elastic at the bottom was tight enough and the fit of the tank was tight enough that it was actually supportive. I'm down to a 34D now, and I still won't do any of the running tanks that have built-in bras, but the cycling and tri-tanks I've tried are actually surprisingly supportive.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#64 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 AM

No bra advice here. My big score was getting a "yoga bra" or something on sale at Target last week. It included cups for "shaping." Have I mentioned that I'm nursing a 4 yo? Nursing used to have slight appearance benefits, but I've shrunk back down, despite having milk. : At any rate, the bra helps balance out the tummy, appearance-wise.

tjsmama: I find the first 3 to be the most painful. I tend to feel really great on distances of 6 or more. It does make those early weeks of 1/2 training painful though.

kerc--a belated happy birthday!

That's all the personals I can remember.

RR: put in 2 on the TM per the training plan, and then walked one more.

I also registered for the 1/2 today. : The store didn't have my size in the Brooks shoes on sale, but they said they had a shipment coming and would just send them to my house. If they were closer or easier to get to, I'd be there more, but a 30-min drive with about a zillion stoplights is not my idea of fun. I wish they had a location in Boulder, but they don't. Boulder's not closer, but at least I'm already there sometimes and the shopping areas are quick trip by bus once there...probably longer by car. In even better news: DD fell asleep on the way down despite my attempts to prevent it, but she actually fell asleep at her bedtime too! That *never* happens.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#65 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM

OK, I'm up early and drinking my coffee.

Gaye, I am totally the same. For me, it gets good after 3mi. Miles 4-6 are the best. I like how it makes me sound so "athletic," but in practice it presents this mental obstacle to just getting on the tm if I only have time for 2-3mi. So lame, I know.

All right. I've got an hour before the plumbers show up. :
#66 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Ok, I think I got about 4 hours of sleep last night, and have been breaking up bickering for over an hour (how do they hit the floor bickering!?). Im ready to throw them in the, where, snow? basement?

Aiming for lifting after I drop them off. Dh is going on his interviews next week sandwiched between working weekends so I get 9-10 days with my three blessings all to myself

Ill check in later, hopefully in a better mood after some exercise

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#67 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Aw, sparkle. Mine do that some mornings. Hang in there, mama.

I got 5 in, heading to the shower.
#68 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM

I've got "runner's boobs" (ie. none... ), so I actually did my first season of tris in a regular racing swimsuit. And I was nursing then too !

I've got Boot Camp this morning. I need it.

My stomach issues cropped up again last night, in spite of eating good food and drinking no Diet Coke. DH thinks it's a little virus or something. It was not pleasant under the covers last night :.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#69 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM

Another agree on the benefit of a "longer" run. It always gets better for me after 2. That is one reason why it drives me crazy when I can only fit in 3 most days. Oh well.

It's cold here again and dd 11 is sick. DH and I will be bouncing back and forth between work and home today to cover for each other.

On the happy side of things I got Springsteen tickets yesterday! We are also seeing the Pretenders this month. I feel like a rock star. My last live show was 2 years ago.
#70 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
OK, I'm up early and drinking my coffee.
Me too!

Re: bras. I can't stand most shelf bras because of the smooshing effect, so last year, I ordered several styles from the Title 9 catalog, and kept 3 of them. One is a champion, so it's really reasonably priced. They call it the "triple threat". I'm even buying one in black to wear under a nice sleeveless dress, because the straps are up close to your neck, leaving lots of bare shoulder. I also like their LW underwire bra.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#71 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM

walked the dog two miles early this morning. now i'm running a little late for work. have gym stuff for todays bike workout. have huge salad for lunch. ate a good healthy breakfast. aiming to have a better food day than yesterday.

last nights yoga class was packed. normally 8 people is a good turnout, i think there was over 20. tons of people that i knew from around town. must have been a good class because my bum is sore today.
#72 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Bra's- my fav for any running, or bouncing activities, sports bra, uniboob, no bounce. Im happy with that. The one I have could be just a smidge tighter.

RR - not sore from yesterdays longer stride : I was a little worried I would be.

NRR - did some crosstraining yesterday too and I will force myself not to go out to run today but to do something different. Maybe I'll take dh up on that bike ride. He keeps suggesting I ride the bike and well, I strangely prefer running....

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#73 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM

er, serial posting to ask about the facebook group? was there one or am I imagining things?

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#74 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Realrellim ~ I love my Brooks, hope you get yours soon!

sparkletruck ~ hope your day gets better

1jooj for the 5, I'm amazed at how you get up and run in the morning so regularly, I wish I had that motivation and that my schedule would allow it

Jaygee ~ hope you feel better and enjoy Boot Camp

modmom ~ hope your dd feels better. : for concert tickets!

I'm another who prefers long runs to shorter ones, I just need to get back into my groove. The first mile of any run is dreadful for me lately but then I'm better. I really think I run differently on the TM and it's causing a lot of discomfort in my shins, calves and ankles. I may need new running shoes too. I'll have to look into that this weekend.
#75 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 PM

RR: 5 for me too. needed the stress relief after driving ds2 to school in slick, snow covered streets with tons of snow falling making it difficult to see. Had an oncoming car slide into my lane and then get stuck half into the snow bank and half on my lane facing me. Poor kid in the back seat looked terrified. I'm not thrilled about pick up time with the snow still falling.

DH home with stomach bug, ds1 home with stomach bug. It is pain but nothing else so I have no idea what it is or how to help them.

Into the shower I go and then to make granola bars. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Oh! New brooks coming my way, shipped today!! And they are PURPLE! :
#76 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 PM

No yoga this morning, something had to give because I only sent DD for a half day today. (tues & thurs she usually stays until 3) The plan is to still run with the dogs this afternoon before my class this evening, but I needed the time at work this morning since I can't work into the afternoon. Sigh. Without a workout this morning I am sure feeling the lack of coffee. Maybe I'll go get some. It's freakin' cold again here today. Arrgh.
#77 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Ok, I think I got about 4 hours of sleep last night, and have been breaking up bickering for over an hour (how do they hit the floor bickering!?). Im ready to throw them in the, where, snow? basement?
That's what we do here (snow that is). It goes something like this:

I lay out snow gear on the kitchen floor. Dress them all up, tell them it's required that all people under age 30 go outside RIGHT NOW. Then I stuff them out the door and they usually stay there at least 8 minutes. Long enough to get some vitamin D and some physical activity in.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#78 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I really think I run differently on the TM and it's causing a lot of discomfort in my shins, calves and ankles.
Me too. I did all my midweek runs on the TM last week and my ankle has been hurting ever since. I'm curious about the difference between TM and outside in terms of the discomfort issue.

kerc~I like your "under 30" rule!

rr~4 miles in the freezing rain at 5:45 this morning. You gotta really love running to do that! My running coach thinks I'm not pushing myself hard enough and wants me to run with him (instead of the back of the packers in the running group) this Saturday. Eeeek! I'm scared. He's pretty fast. He said it's a myth that all long runs should be at a conversational pace. That's not a good way to start!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#79 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM

#80 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

thanks!

#81 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
My last live show was 2 years ago.
My last live show was about 15 years ago. Yeesh. Lame huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
He said it's a myth that all long runs should be at a conversational pace. That's not a good way to start!!
Uh oh!

Thank you all for all the love yesterday mamas, what would I do without you???

I have 4 on the schedule today and I'm planning on going out, probably with the stroller. Dd1 is home sick, she had a fever last night and kept us all up for 2 hours in the middle of the night until the little one puked and I threw a fit. I think dd is actually fine but she insists she's not so I'm making her stay in bed for as long as she can possibly stand it. : Is that mean?

I find that I get weird soreness after too much time on the TM too, I assume it's just because of the artificial nature of it.

Okay, off to tend the "sick".

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#82 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM

I feel lacking in mileage lately but I'm hopping back to it today. Getting ready to head out for a lunch time run. I had a client phone call this morning that went well! I was nervous because I have not worked with this brand before and they found me kind of randomly, not through referral, so I don't think either of us knew what to expect from the other. Anyway, whew.

So I found a women's specific track workout group through meetup.com and am thinking of going tomorrow night. I usually don't run at night [not enough fuel left in the tank] but I'd like to get some coaching and it's pretty cheap - 6 bucks and you can drop in whenever. Hope I don't get blown off the track by some speedy speedsters!

OK off to hit the pavement...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#83 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM

poppy ~ have a great run! That women's track workout sounds great.

Oh, I feel awful. My stomach is still so bloated and uncomfortable. And I'm so burpy. And nauseous. In fact, if AF weren't in da house, I'd think I was pregnant . It snowed another 4" this morning and it's only 11* out now. Still I made it to Boot Camp and did the workout. Lots of squats. And lunges. And planks. Ouch.

Off to make a batch of playdoh, if the girls can actually come to agreement on what color they want .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#84 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Poppy - That running group sounds like a good idea, even though it's at night. I find just running with other people to be very motivating and I always run faster without it feeling faster.

I'm heading out for my 4 now. Both girls are napping and it was so hard not to just cuddle down and snuggle in with them. I feel all sleepy and chilly after our sleeplessness last night. But I'm going! I'm going!

#85 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I'm heading out for my 4 now. Both girls are napping and it was so hard not to just cuddle down and snuggle in with them. I feel all sleepy and chilly after our sleeplessness last night. But I'm going! I'm going!
You are stronger than I!! I snuck in a nap with my toddler this afternoon - I couldn't resist. But now I'm up and at it, leaving shortly for the gym and a run on the TM. DH is sick today, so he feels like calling it a day and laying on the couch to recover.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#86 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Well, I'm back but I think all the talk of difficult short runs rubbed off on me! In the first three mile I had to stop or walk 4 times! Well, one time I didn't have to stop but there was this beautiful horse and a par of pygmy goats that I had to talk to.
The last mile felt good though. And it felt faster but I didn't notice when I left and I didn't bring a watch so I have no idea how long I was really out there.

#87 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM

back from the gym. an hour on the bike spent listening to two biddies yammer on about their screenplay at the top of their lungs. mafia, vermont connection, three uncles, a big fire, transvestites. Lordy, it sounded like complete and utter crap. I forgot my headphones, so it was hard to tune it out.
#88 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Ugh. I got the stomach thing. Better now, but absolutely no movement that wasn't entirely necessary.
I got a "job" from a friend whose dd is auditioning for a local play and she wants me to do a couple of voice lessons to prepare her. I don't feel all that qualified, but she wants me to do it anyway. I'm really honored.
Off for some soup and early bedtime...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#89 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Ugh. Rough afternoon here. H (I guess I should move him back to STBX status) came over to "talk about the paperwork". So he filled it all out, had me look it over and then wanted me to go get it notarized. Right then. So he could go file it. I refused (I even told him, I will do it...even said within a week...just want to do it on MY terms and I didn't feel like doing it today). He had a fit, we had a huge blow-out fight about it, and he stormed out. He came back and apologized, but I just had a complete melt-down. He has a complete and utter lack of sensitivity for how I feel about the whole situation and he just wants to get it done and move on (so thanks for jerking me around for TWO YEARS?!) and couldn't be understanding about letting me control one very teeny tiny thing about everything. We kind of talked. I cried, hard, for a long time, and now I am utterly exhausted. Yuck.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#90 of 1076 Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM

towson - in the freezing rain? you are hardcore!

Gaye - what a UA violation!

Seems like lots of tummy things going around - hope everyone feels better soon.

I just found out that my little hometown 5K has been axed after more than 20 years due to budget cuts. I'm so bummed. I was totally looking forward to it because I know I'm due for a 5k PR. The only other nearby one that I like (read: super flat) is this weekend. I'm sure my legs will not be recovered from the half in time, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page