February Dingos - Running for Love! - Page 36 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1051 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nic~ and : for that family. That's awful.

re:HR~I typically average somewhere in the 160's for my runs. An easier run might be a 155 average, but if I'm pushing at all, easily 160. I do recover quickly. My HR on the run for today's race was a 168 ave., but 173 ave. for the last mile. And yeah, pretty much throw the old 220-your age x whatever percentage formula out the window. It's been debunked for the most part. It's still a relatively decent guide just for very very basic stuff, but it's not really accurate.

Race report~So, I really wasn't too thrilled about this morning's race. I'm still ridiculously tired and snotty and coughing, although at least the antibiotics have gotten the sinus pain to go away. I got there and it was COLD. As in, freezing my a$$ off cold. : The actual temperature wasn't too bad and the sun felt good, but there was a brutal arctic-feeling wind that just was not fun. So I stood around questioning my sanity and waiting for the race to start because I was too cranky and miserable to go warm up. Just before race start, my friend Becky and her DS showed up to cheer me on, yay for fans! :

This was the last of the winter duathlon series, and it's designed to be the most like a triathlon with bike first followed by run. It was a 10.8 mile bike (wave start in groups of 10-12) and a 4 mile run. I was in wave O (they went A-Y) so I had a while to wait. Soon enough, we were off and my legs were screaming at me that I haven't been spending enough time on the bike! The first four miles were absolutely miserable. The arctic wind was giving a nice stiff headwind and my hands were in so much pain it was ridiculous, even with gloves on. Once we made the turn out of the headwind, it wasn't so bad and my hands actually warmed up just a bit. My knee did NOT enjoy the bike today, which is not a good thing. Same pain as before my surgery. It wasn't awful and I was able to push through for the most part, but I'm not happy about it at all. Thanks to the wave start, it was a fairly even mix of getting passed and passing people. I was pretty happy that I was able to pace myself fairly well so that I had the energy to pass back some of the people who flew by me early on. At one point a GIRL on a mountain bike tried to pass me and I just thought NO WAY am I letting her do that and picked it up a little. It's one thing to get passed by a GUY on a mtb (not that I like it, but still) but I refuse to get passed by a girl on a mtb! Although, Mandy, I'm relatively sure that you'd probably kick my butt on your mtb...

I came into transition, ditched my windbreaker and helmet and changed my shoes. As I went to put my running shoes on, I realized that both of my feet were completely frozen. Could not feel a thing. Fun! There was a long run out of transition, at least a tenth of a mile, and then a nice uphill to start the run off. I could not feel my feet at all until almost two miles in. At which point, the feeling started returning and I could feel all the little stones that I had apparently picked up with my socks while changing shoes. Lovely. About the same time, I really got into my running groove and started feeling comfortable. I wasn't really trying for a certain pace, just hoping to be around 10:30 average and wanting to run just fast enough to be comfortably pushing myself (if that makes any sense...). With about a mile to go, I got passed by about three girls who all kept needing to stop and walk. They'd pass me, then walk and I'd pass them back. I was determined that they weren't going to beat me, and eventually I started putting enough distance on them during their walks that they couldn't catch me when they ran again. I ran the last mile at 9 minute pace!

Official results: 1:26:45, finished 178/205 in the open division (everyone except mountain bikes/hybrids/etc). 43:39 on the bike for a 14.8 mph average (sloooow), 3:20 transition (also sloooow but need to remember that long run out of transition counts here), and 39:47 on the run for a 9:57 (!!!) average. I'm pretty happy with how I did. These races are really low-key and fun, but they're mostly VERY serious people (with aero everything and tri/TT bikes) because, honestly? Who else but serious (and crazy!) people are going to get up on a Saturday morning in the middle of winter to freeze their butts off running and biking! In this same race last year, I was only 3 minutes faster (a minute on the bike and two on the run), so I'm definitely getting back to my old form. Yay!

Now I get to spend the next two days on a mini-vacation! I'm a moderator on another forum for women who ski, and we're having a huge meet-up in Colorado, so I'm driving up tomorrow to ski and then have dinner with the group. Spending the night tomorrow night, skiing Monday followed by a mod dinner, and then back home late Monday night. It should be fun, as long as my legs hold out! Yay! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1052 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 AM

Nic - oh how awful.

gaye - WTG! Nice run time - there's no way I could run that fast after biking so far.
#1053 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 AM

tjsmama--wow! : Sounds like you're speeding up nicely--and after the bike ride no less.

sparkle--we're in CO. Meeting up would be fun.

BBM--I've had the waking up sweating and the periods of rage, and it's always because I'm hormonal. It tends to happen most if I'm spotting mid-cycle.

Spent all day cooking and cleaning for our book group to meet. I thought I'd walk on the TM but I think I'm going to sleep instead.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#1054 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Nic, to the family.

Gaye - Way to go. : Great job getting back into condition.

BBM - I did not mean to be so flippant earlier. I get the rage, badly enough that an acquaintance reminded me that anger can be a sign of depression when we discussed it. I also get the night sweats but I have no idea where I am hormonally as I am just shy of 18 months PP with no return of menstruation in sight. I'm too far out for it to be the sweats of the first couple weeks PP. Given my family history menopause is far away; I think my mom is still technically in peri-menopause, not full-blown menopause. I have been chalking the sweats up to all the people in my bed.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#1055 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Nic - that's awful. something like that happened to a friend of a woman that I work with. Just terribly tragic.

Gaye - great race report. sorry your knee still hurts on the bike. what if you pushed an easier gear at a faster cadence? does that help at all?

heart rate - i'm still recovering from last summer's strange heart problems, when i could barely get my HR above 150. So to see it easily get up to 170 is actually a good thing as far as i'm concerned. it comes down quite rapidly.

Gigi - that sucks about your class yesterday. that whole mentality is one of the reasons that i ride the spin bikes in the cardio room on my own program, not with a class.
#1056 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Nic, oh how sad and terrible! I'm so sorry for the family. I hope they get as much support from the community as they usually provide to others. How unfair.

Yay, Gaye! What a great time and everything considering the extreme conditions! : Have fun going out with the ski group!

Gigi, that sucks with the spinning class. Our gym does sign-up beforehand for the crowded classes. Someone has to stand at the door and check you off of a list and give you a number for your bike. That way, you can check in and leave, although the earliest check-in is like 20 minutes earlier. You have to call to reserve a spot. They need to do something, because that just doesn't seem fair! I mean, are you supposed to go an hour before class and save a bike? And also, if one person goes in and saves 3 or 4 bikes for him/herself and friends, that is not right. : Very aggravating.

DH and I watched a documentary last night, it is a German docu from a few years ago on the subject of the regular German army involvement in the genocide during WW2 (as opposed to the popular view that it was *only* SS). It was very interesting and I'm glad to have learned something new, or at least more nuanced, but it was so, so, so hard to watch and so emotionally upsetting - I am still feeling really torn up about it and just very full of questions about human nature, history, society, spirituality, everything. Very hard to process all of this, so I thought I would take DD to see Slumdog Millionaire this morning. Avoidance, I guess.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#1057 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

In memory of Levi Yitzchok, a'h

Sigh. :

They will most certainly get the support they need; thousands are expected at the levaya (funeral) and to accompany the procession here. He will be buried in the same cemetary as the Lubavitcher Rebbe zt''l which is itself a comfort.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#1058 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM

oh nic, I'm so sorry . words escape me.
#1059 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Oh Nic, I just can't even imagine. That poor family. They will be in our prayers.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#1060 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Nic

BBM I get that too.

Still not back on the running wagon. Headache is under control (a week later) but now with dh home, it is all about the house stuff. I will get back to a normal schedule. This is winter, wearing me out. I will not be defeated!
#1061 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM

mommajb - I didn't take it as flippant...

So let's thorw on top of ridiculous hormones a husband who just doesn't get it. He has high cholesterol (controlled by meds), high blood pressure, is at least 50 pounds overweight. His grandfather died of a heart attack, his father has had a heart attack. He does not get enough sleep. He eats like crap. In his favor he works out regularly. Now let's add money issues. Money is always tight here. It's by choice, we have me home as much as possible. But it's a choice that we make. Given that choice though I have learned to be extremely careful with our money and am able to make a little go a long way. I have struggled against my husband the whole time for him to see how the pennies add up...and to try to get him to not fritter money.

This is a simple, stupid, but good example of the problem. I bought him soy yogurt to take for his breakfast (he's got milk issues), it's really expensive. I asked him not to give it to the kids...they can have regular yogurt and it's much less expensive for them (I just buy the tubs of whole fat yogurt). So what does he do? Give it to the kids. So my efforts to try and provide healthy choices for him is nul. My efforts to keep money tight, nul. And all I'm doing is over-reacting. And if you look at the issue on the surface, yes I am. But if you look at what it represents and the struggle I have with him over the little things...it's not.

I'm crazy. I know. And maybe this is just all hormonal, but if it is...can you please be super gentle and nice?

Oh and my cycle is long this month. I think this is the first time in my lifetime except when I was pregnant. And let's just say with all the fighting and bickering between me and the h...well I sure ain't pg. And I feel so sad about that. I do NOT want more kids, but I feel so sad about this being the beginning of the end, IYKWIM?
#1062 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Okay sorry for the whine fest...sigh...

I swear I'm not doing consumer therapy. But I need new shoes for work, but that can also be casual wear too...and have been captivated by the keen shoes.

Still not sure I'll spend the money - they're kinda pricey...but which ones do y'all like the best:

http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Sydney-II...=1OPPX7ORHX8SY - brown

http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Palermo-M...=1OPPX7ORHX8SY -coffee bean

http://www.amazon.com/Keen-KEEN-Cali...=1OPPX7ORHX8SY - seal brown

http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Ch...=1OPPX7ORHX8SY - pinecone
#1063 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM

keens - The charleston is my least favorite due to its plainness, the palermo appears to have more of a heel, I just purchased the calistoga locally but I do like the sydney.

FWIW, I don't think you are over-reacting. I feel your pain regarding all the effort to make the most of limited funds and not getting the support from the one person you would expect it from.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#1064 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM

BBM, hugs

Gaye, nice RR. the cold sounds miserable!

Nick, prayers for that family, so sad!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1065 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Nic ~ How horribly sad.

I still haven't been out for a walk. This week it is supposed to warm up, so I might get out with Valentine all bundled then. The blizzard we had was fast and furious. Our yard/driveway/walkway were all covered with snow that same height from all the snowing and blowing. It is sunny and pretty out today though.

I have started on my birth story.. maybe it'll be done in a few days.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#1066 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
bec

Oh, Nic. How terribly sad. I can't imagine.

RR: HH wanted me to run in a 5k race. Well, no local races this weekend, so I did it on my treadmill. I, sadly, cannot tell you my exact time, because I accidentally pulled the safety clip out of it with one hundreth of a mile to go! I know it was a sub 29 minute 5k, though, and around 9:20 pace. That's just a guestimate, though. It felt good to run all out, though!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1067 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

BBM - huge to you

I think it sounds like a lot of issues, stresses from your DH and money, and the hormone thing is making it worse... After my PPAF came back, last year, I was having a lot of issues like you were describing - long cycles (45-55 days), night sweats (usually about 2 wks before AF, emotion - anger and sadness, awful/painful O, etc.

well, I know I forfeited my my MDC/NFL card, but I couldn't handle the physical side to it all, much less the emotional side, so I went on the pill

Definitely made a big difference in evening everything out. Not saying that is what anyone else should do, but just something about knowing that it was hormonal on top of life stresses and not in my head made it a lot easier...

Nic - s to you and my prayers for that family, I am so sorry

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#1068 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 07:01 PM

BBM. And please do not apologize even if it IS consumer therapy! Not as good as the real kind, but it'll do in a pinch. I'd go with the Palermo or the Sydney, but I like them all. I got the ones that are like those but more like a sandal, with a strap around the back vs a real back. They ROCK.

And speaking of, I just did some major online shopping at STP for Italy. a big backpack for my carry-on (and only luggage bc I don't trust the airline to not lose it again), my first pair of DANSKOS (big sale!), and a non-wrinkle dress. And some "convertible" pants that you can zip off into shorts bc we're packing super light. I will go ahead and say that it is TOTAL retail therapy from this crazy week/weekend that has turned out NOTHING like I though. It's ending with me, kiddos, dh, and ILs sitting around watching it snow.
#1069 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
bec

Isn't it time for a new thread?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1070 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM

RR: ran 10 on the TM before church this morning, then met a friend for our second viewing of Twilight at the dollar theater after church.
#1071 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Nic - Oh how horrible! That just makes my blood run cold. I'm sending prayers out for that family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Still not back on the running wagon. Headache is under control (a week later) but now with dh home, it is all about the house stuff. I will get back to a normal schedule. This is winter, wearing me out. I will not be defeated!
It'll be okay, we have 20 weeks and that's a long time!

Gaye - Whew! You are hardcore mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So let's thorw on top of ridiculous hormones a husband who just doesn't get it.
That has got to be so frustrating, I know it is, I've actually got a similar thing going on here. Not so much with money but the health issues. I'm still trying to find a gentle yet convincing way to get dh the message that he's got to take better care of himself. I think sometimes he gets a kick out of acting (and feeling) like an old man, but he's only 38, so it's not okay (IMNSHO). Add money problems to that and I'd be having rage issues too.

So I did about 12 yesterday. I have to go back and map out what we really ran, I realized after we finished that we forgot one little cul de sac and then another road which looked like a loop on the map turned out to be a warren of driveways and we had to retrace our steps, but it was probably close enough to 12 to call it 12! The hardest part was when we had to run past my house and continue on the final 4.5 loop, we were already feeling tired at that point so I had to just ignore the call of home. When I got home I had to unload some groceries with dh and dd was back from a birthday party and having a sugar crash meltdown so I missed the end of run stretching window. When I finally had a chance I took a very very very cold bath and that really seemed to have instant benefit. Then I took a hot hot shower and I felt more or less human again. We went out in the afternoon which I think might actually be a good long run time since I didn't have to pretend I could focus for very long before we all flopped out in front of a movie an then went to bed .

Okay, now I've got to go back to drywalling. We've almost got the whole ceiling up, and then for the plastering.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#1072 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
...but which ones do y'all like the best:
I love the Charleston mary janes. As for cost, think about the hours that you spend in a good pair of shoes! That's one thing that I don't feel guilty about. In terms of hours per dollar, they beat anything in my closet except for my jeans, which are ancient.

P.S. for anyone who has yet to see it, Slumdog Millionaire is really good. I am definitely getting the soundtrack for running - it is great! :

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#1073 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM

BBM - i hope you find some balance soon

Plady - way to go! wow 12 miles! you're doing so well.

MB and other ATL dingos - enjoy the snow! :

--

i did the same 7 mile route as last week and it totally sucked this morning. i don't know why but the muscles near my shins were screaming at me for the first 3 miles. i had to keep stopping and try to stretch them out and rub them. ugh.

now that i'm back i looked it up and i think my tight calf muscles might be to blame i've been complaining to dh that they've been feeling tight for a few weeks. i read online that when your calf muscles are tight it can draw your heel back which then makes your shin muscles strain causing shin splints. i always thought shin splints were caused by doing too much too soon (not really my problem) or running on hard surfaces (this could be it)

anyway...i'm trying not to be too down about it and instead do more stretches this week and maybe cut back on my mid-week runs.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1074 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Nic, how truly, truly awful. That poor family. I did love that the article talked about him and his personality and place in the world, some - makes me feel a little connected, too.
#1075 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Come on over to the March Thread!
#1076 of 1076 Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Nic, I'm holding the family and all who love them in prayer. How sad.

No forward motion here today... I'm so sore from yesterday that I'm taking the day off. And I'm just overwhelmed with work, and had a shitty meeting with the dean of students on Friday (he has no power over me, except for the power to irritate me mightily.) It's just *busy* and I'm not getting breaks.

On the upside, it turns out after my first hockey game - that I love hocky. (As a spectator, I hasten to add!) All the rowdy yelling and trash-talking and spray painting one's hair the team colors was just what I needed.

Oh, eta: there were homophobic protesters outside my church today. Yeah, glad to have *that* confrontation at 10 am on a Sunday. I'm still furious about it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page