February Dingos - Running for Love! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Ladies, I bought some chocolate for my SS and then in a rage I ate it last night. :
Thank you for sharing this; not only did it make me but it totally sounds like something I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
My sister's husband left her two nights ago. Things haven't been going well for a few months, but he just packed up his stuff, went to the airport, and flew across the country without a word to her. She's devestated . But she has decided to spend her February break (she's a teacher) in lovely Bloomington visiting us with her adorable little boy.
So sorry for your sister. I seem to remember that her son was born while I was pregnant with DS but maybe I am getting your sister mixed up with someone else... my mind is so fuzzy sometimes... anyway I hope y'all have a good visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
NRR - important question - are we camping this year?
Oooh! I sure hope so! We have no summer plans at this point so we'd most likely be in. I admit to using the thought of Dingo Camping 2009 as motivation for my workouts. It would mean so much to me to be able to run with y'all again.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#122 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes, yall!

MB - I don't think I mentioned... one is in Virginia (not too far from Eks!!) and one is in Rochester : If I had to decide by location alone, it would be very easy

kerc, Geo, DrJen - funny stories about the My mom still tells stories about how my friends would call me (elementary school/junior high) and I would say, "I can't talk now, I'm reading..."

Jenlove - can't wait to hear about your apointment!

JayGee - I am so sorry about your sis! My heart just breaks hearing about that for you and her!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#123 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

STARVING must find food. must find enough food so I can run hopefully around 2 with out being hungry before then.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#124 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM

jaygee~Oh, that sucks so bad. Sounds even worse than my situation in some ways. for your sister!

callie~Yay for the job offers!

On reading...my bedroom when I was growing up was right next to the bathroom and I used to tell my parents that I needed the bathroom light on because I was afraid of the dark. Nope, not afraid, just reading by the light. I got caught numerous times, yet they would still leave the light on for me. I would have books hidden *all over* my bed...under the pillow, under the covers, under the mattress...

I'm feeling a bit better today. Not a ton, but some. I don't remember the last time I had a meltdown like that, but it was exhausting. STBX is coming over tonight to spend dinnertime with DS and I really don't want to be here, but don't have anything I need to go do, either. I don't really want to go out to eat by myself just to get out of the house, I'm pretty caught up on errands. I guess I could go to the mall just for the heck of it. Maybe I'll see if there's anything good playing at the cheap-o theatres, although I'm sure the one I would want to see would probably be at the complete wrong time. Sigh...any ideas for something to do by myself that wouldn't be totally lame to be alone for, cost a bunch of money, or take more than an hour or two?

rr: Track this morning. The regular workout was 4 sets of 600 strong (10k pace), 200 easy, 200 hard (5k pace), 200 easy. My workout was 6 x 400 strong, 200 recovery. I'm kind of afraid of when I have to start doing the regular workouts again. I almost thought she might make me today, but maybe my nasty hacking cough deterred her.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#125 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm here and reading, but I try not to post when I don't have anything good to say. And last night was horrible. My hips hurt and popped and I couldn't get comfy. I got up to pee 4 times. I even tried sleeping on the couch at 5am, which did seem to feel better. This morning I have slept on and off and haven't gotten out of my pjs.

Had some contractions this AM and some crampiness and some more of that weird CM but no bloody show and nothing consistent. Appointment is at 2:15 again, so hopefully I get some energy by then.

Totally laughing about the chocolate caper eating her SS gift. I would totally do that!!

JayGee ~ So sorry about your sister.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#126 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Sigh...any ideas for something to do by myself that wouldn't be totally lame to be alone for, cost a bunch of money, or take more than an hour or two?
Sounds like you used to read a lot. Do you still?
Trip to the library and browsing.
Barnes and Noble (again just looking).

And I also want to add that *nothing* is lame to do by yourself when you have kids, married or not. I mean seriously...otherwise I am WAY lame.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#127 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

serial posting:

I just friended geofizz's mom on facebook. I've never actually met her, but I like her style (more or less) so I went with it. Is that strange?

and i hope just by putting it out there I haven't made Geofizz just cringe and do one of those ,"aww mom" kind of things.

#128 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
any ideas for something to do by myself that wouldn't be totally lame to be alone for, cost a bunch of money, or take more than an hour or two?
Go to a library or a bookstore where you can just settle down and read something really escapist.

JayGee- s to your sister.

JenLove - :

So Alison puked twice last night. I was moderately ready, I had her sleeping on a pile of baby blankets and the first time I only had to change my pillowcases and take off the top three blankets. The second time she hit the sheet but only a tiny bit and I was too tired to change everything so I just put down a towel. Today she still seems out of sorts but she hasn't puked so : the worst is over. Chiara went to school and hopefully she'll be fine because she's supposed to go to the pool for a swimming assessment after school and I'd hate for her to miss any pool time. I've got two miles on the schedule and TKD tonight, I'm not sure when I'll run, Alison is already conked out but I'm not quite ready to leave the house. Maybe I'll TM it later, it's only 2 miles after all.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#129 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

I noticed my mom commented on your 25 things. I figure it makes sense, you guys end up discussing things a lot through my blog.

DS got sent home with a fever. He's tearing the house apart, and he's not falling for my line that the Wendy's chocolate frosty is "mommy medicine."
#130 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM

JenLove, hmmm seems like it is about time to

Gaye, mani/pedi? Coffee shop with a book?

Mandy, I have to thank you for the reminders to get back to E2L. I so need to get back to that, and am trying now on day 2.

Bored kids in school. I just finally put two and two together that DD1 is probably bored with her math. The homework seems ridiculously easy, but after an informal poll, found that not all parents agree. Talked to DD about it last night and am going to discuss with her teachers before I try finding stuff to supplement at home. Also, on the reading, we finally got her reading a book (from her bookshelf, not the school's) each night. She was absolutely flying through the ones she has from school. She is not the type of kid who likes to challenge herself with the possibility of not immediately mastering it, so we have to rather encourage her. DD2 is also doing really well with her Bob books. I used to get in trouble for reading instead of doing my homework. Thought that I didn't have kids like that. Maybe not, but at least they are reading now.

DD2 is STILL sick. She hasn't been in school since last Thursday. Puking and diarrhea. No purging today (I think she got rid of everything she had in her last night), but irritable and very tired. Think now she has a fever. Hopefully that will help burn off whatever she has. Looks like we will have to miss swimming. We could go and DD1 could have her lesson, but I don't know if it is right for me to drag DD2 and sit around until DD1 is done.

Off to make my latte (not E2L, but I'm keeping it )before rousing DD2 to pick up DD1.
#131 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM

tjs - I like to go to Borders/BN and get a latte and read magazines, listen to the cd browsing stations, look at books. I figure the overpriced coffee pays for my looking w/o buying

This is kind of embarrassing, but I also like to go to Goodwill takes a lot of time to dig/browse through stuff, and then if you end up buying something, it is cheap.

Wendy - but that IS mommy medicine!

#132 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM

I am so glad you are enjoying my chocolate eating. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
kerc - we actually threatened to take all of dd's light bulbs away at one point because she would sneak her lights on to read all night long - in the morning, I'd come in and find her asleep clutching a book with her lights on and she was always exhausted. My middle 2 read all the time - at the table, in the tub, in bed, while walking down the hall - all the time.
I admit my method is brutal. I flip the circuit breaker so they will go to bed at night. The downside is that I have to reset clocks.

on the camping.

Gaye, I was going to suggest running or other workout but you've done that today. I would be all about the bookstore (if we had one in town).

JayGee, to your sister. She can have Irish coffee with us.

Callie, enjoy those offers become they become work.

Plady, I hope Alison is feeling better soon.

JenLove - : Your baby is sounding closer and closer.

I am not trying to knock all public schools and apologize if it came across that way. This is a struggle for us. Alice is enjoying what little time she has gotten in and for that I should be grateful. She is not reluctant to go back and her only complaint has been the noise at lunch.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#133 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
This is kind of embarrassing, but I also like to go to Goodwill takes a lot of time to dig/browse through stuff, and then if you end up buying something, it is cheap.
Embarrassing??! No way! That's one of my favorite-of-all-time places to shop. Happily dd1 loves to browse there too so taking her isn't a hassle but I'd still be in hog heaven if I had a chance to go alone. I almost never buy clothes anywhere else. Once you find great stuff at those prices it's hard to justify paying full price again.

Okay, I'm off, Alison conked out for round 2 so I'm going to hit the road, it's too beautiful out to stay inside.

#134 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM

I am loving ETL, though I have not eliminated coffee, cheese and chocolate. But I know that I have cut down on calorie and fat consumption just b/c I am eating so many fruits/veggies and not making myself eat the chicken, beef, cottage cheese, oils that I thought that I "needed". I really like this way of eating

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#135 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I admit my method is brutal. I flip the circuit breaker so they will go to bed at night. The downside is that I have to reset clocks.
OMG, that's certainly an effective method! Our clocks have 9V battery backups. I bet if you flip the breaker for just the 60 minutes or so to get them to go to sleep, the batteries would last a long time. I gotta remember that one, but in our house, the circuits look like jerrimandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajb again
I am not trying to knock all public schools and apologize if it came across that way. This is a struggle for us. Alice is enjoying what little time she has gotten in and for that I should be grateful. She is not reluctant to go back and her only complaint has been the noise at lunch.
We also struggle with the noisy lunch room. For a lot of schools, it's hard to figure out all the goings on, but our school has book clubs, service clubs, and other activities that need a bit more time, so the kids eat their lunch in the room where the club meets. DD is a member of a few clubs just to get out of the noisy lunch room.
#136 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm back, I had a great run today to make up for yesterday's lamea$$ one. And, how I love mapmyrun, door to door was 2.29 miles, and I did it in exactly 24:00 so I feel all fast.

#137 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

kerc~My mom AND MIL are both on FB and friended me. I think that's worse than being friends with a friend's mom, cuz you're actually related to them!

jenlove~I think for at least the last month of my pregnancy, I ended up on the couch pretty much every night around 2 am. I'd start out in bed, but it was so uncomfortable, and I could actually sleep a little on the couch. You take it any way you can get it at the end!

Yeah, I used to be a big reader, but : it was mostly romance novels, which just aren't as appealing as they used to be. It's not much fun to read about happily ever after when your love life sucks, kwim? I finally read Twilight last week...maybe I should go looking for the next one, but I'm sure it's out at the library and I don't know that I like the series well enough to buy it. Not like Harry Potter, ya know? Is it too early to go looking for a dress for my SIL's wedding in May? Probably...it's a beach wedding and I don't think the summer clothes are out yet. And I don't know what the dress code is going to be. Hmm...

It's another beautiful 60+ degree day here in Denver, and we're supposed to be pushing 70 the next two days. It's nice and all, but to be honest, it's making me nervous. If it's this mild in January and February, we are going to be SO screwed in March and April. All I need is a blizzard right at the peak of my training forcing me to run 8-9-10 miles on the TM. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#138 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

back from 1:30 endurance ride on the bike. no yammering biddies today. no hot men to capture my interest. no good movies on the TV. however, i did have a couple of good podcasts that kept me rolling right along.

i did finally meet in person a woman that i've admired from afar. She mountain bikes and runs and does tris, has 5 year old twins and had an essay published in Bike magazine last year. DH worked on her bike this winter and she actually introduced herself to me (glee!) because of my shop water bottle. So that was cool. She's riding this winter too, we're going to try to ride together, though she'll kick my ass.

Also cool, another woman at the office gave me a wonderful and needed pep talk. So nice to hear!
#139 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Oh dear. My queasy, burpy stomach has morphed into full-blown nausea and diarrhea, complete with fever and chills. I fear the vomitting can't be far behind.

DS's school has this voice level thing (1-5) and the lunchroom is a level 1 area, so it's more of a dull roar . What grade is your DD in, mommajb?

Eksmom ~ yes, my sister had her baby boy last April, induced at 37 weeks for HELLP syndrome. He's 100% adorable.

grnmtnmama ~ how cool to meet such an awesome athlete. My old tri coach from IL is one of those women I admire from afar like that. First place amateur female at Ironman Florida, and headed to Kona for the championships next year. I want to be her . Whenever I visit our old town, she organizes a group ride and I get all giddy to ride with her. I'm such a dork.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#140 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 PM

I tried posting before my appointment with a list of things for Gaye. My internet died mid-post. One of them was reading Twilight actually. You already beat me to it though.

Appointment ~ Everything is looking good. Baby's heart rate responded to the doppler (he woke her up) and it went up. He said, "Oooh that's a good sign, Ma." I showed him my birth plans and everything checked out fine. Glad we're on the same page. He didn't check me, but I explained how I've been feeling and he said that sounds excellent. :

When the nurse handed me my "pee cup" back today she said, hopefully we won't see that again for awhile. I'm hoping that I won't have to attend my 40 week appointment. Full moon is coming!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#141 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I mean what kind of mother yells at her kid, "PUT DOWN THAT BOOK!"? This one.
me too. don't worry about it. i even hollered it across the ymca locker room the other day, much to the dismay of the other moms. oh well.

our teacher conference this year revolved entirely around dd reading ALL.DAY.LONG. in school. as in not doing any work. sigh.
#142 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
kerc~My mom AND MIL are both on FB and friended me. I think that's worse than being friends with a friend's mom, cuz you're actually related to them!
Hey, my dad is the one that got me to sign up.

Books: For true trashy escape, I read Carl Hiassen or Ken Follet.

Phone conference. Mostly : It's pretty clear that Karen is B.O.R.E.D and the math teacher isn't recognizing it. I gotta talk to K about doing her part (look like you're paying attention, doing your work neatly, etc) so that hopefully her teacher will start doing her part (an already in place "extension" program). It just kinda sucks that a 6 year old has to step up first, ya know?
#143 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM

LOVE Carl Hiaasen, and most of the entire "bizarre Florida" genre as well...

Saw Hiaasen at a book signing back in Gainesville, and he didn't even bat an eye when I asked for his inscription (for a book for my dad) to refer to the rattlesnack my dad was keeping in our freezer at the time

(the character in one of his books kept a lizard in his freezer)

Geo - do you also like Tim Dorsey and Elmore Leonard?

#144 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
our teacher conference this year revolved entirely around dd reading ALL.DAY.LONG. in school. as in not doing any work. sigh.
I see my future flashing before my eyes. That's one of the reasons we chose half day kindergarten.

#145 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 PM

For those of you Twilight fans (I know nothing about it, other than it exists), DH told me that he worked with the hand model for the cover of the book the other day.
#146 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 PM

re: FB - y'all know about some of my "issues" IRL with m.i.l., right? well you won't see me mention anything of the sort on FB yep, she's all over it.

i got a great message from the track workout coach yesterday:

“Dear J__, Welcome! We're training for the SF Marathon too. Track workouts can make a huge difference. See you Wednesday! Coach S___"

I'm nervous and of course I feel super tired today. AF is getting ready to make an appearance and I always feel low energy days before. I feel great if I run on CD1 but this is pre-CD1 so, not as good.

gaye - good lord, does your stbx not have any sensitivity? you don't deserve this crap but i do hope you enjoy a night alone to read or sip tea or whatever. is there a yoga class at your gym you could take?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#147 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=kerc;13127171

I mean what kind of mother yells at her kid, "PUT DOWN THAT BOOK!"? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the same mom who cautions against too many veggies and dip (because it = a blow out) in a room full of veggie hating kids.
#148 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I'm tired of fighting with my kid about the need to go to school vs. reading (every.last.one of the Nancy Drew Notebooks). I mean seriously, homeschooling is not a great option for us because I firmly believe my kid needs to meet people that I have not filtered. She's smart enough and I could get organized enough, but she needs a larger world view. I mean what kind of mother yells at her kid, "PUT DOWN THAT BOOK!"? This one.
Guilty of this, also. Admittedly it's often followed by ...at the dinnertable! ...while you're brushing your teeth! ...and get dressed for school! etc. etc.

RR... I did 4 good miles this morning, at a nice clip. My day kind of nosedived after that and I'm tired and have a *lot* of work to do before tomorrow. Sigh.

I did manage to peer-pressure my colleague at work into signing up to be one of the faculty whom students can choose to be the person who leads off the annual Polar Bear Swim. He was *horrified* but too polite to contradict me when I told the recruiting student that we'd both *love* to be on the list! He's going to offer his students extra credit to vote for me in order to decrease his own chances of being chosen.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#149 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM

towsonmama--I'd say that 44:17 was a nice pace, especially for the TM. Better than mine would have been.

JayGee--I'm so sorry for your sister. Wow.

Callie--which Rochester? (Minnesota or NY)? DH is from the NY one. We're never living there, ever, and not just because of the weather.

On the reading: I'm still trying to explain to DH how it's rude to read at the lunch or dinner table if DD or I am sitting there. I'm finally winning by asking if he's going to be ok if he wants to talk and DD ignores him in favor of a book. *Then* he got it, sort of. I once didn't notice the telephone ringing because I was reading so I'm hardly innocent. DD is always asking us to read her a book while she eats a meal.

tjsmama--Are you close to the Tattered Cover? I'd be there if I had a couple of hours free. I hear you on the weather, but March and April are like that no matter what Jan/Feb is like. So long as any blizzards don't fall on the 1/2 marathon, I'm not too worried.

RR: decided to do speedwork while my sister watched DD seeing as my appointment to get the final set of comments from a committee member got canceled. I'm slightly : because I was already waiting longer than I wanted, but he's also the dean of the grad school in the college, so I know he has a lot on his plate. I'm going to finish revising the conclusion and start proofing again tonight so next week I can get his revisions done and give it back to my advisor. Anyhow, the speedwork: training plan called for 5 miles, with 3 at a 9:55 pace. I ran outdoors since the weather was good and did the 3 at a 9:37 pace, even with a few hills. (I did stop at the top of the hill by the Standley Lake dam, but there won't be any hills like that on the course.) Now I should be picking up DD, eek!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#150 of 1076 Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
Callie--which Rochester? (Minnesota or NY)? DH is from the NY one. We're never living there, ever, and not just because of the weather.
The NY one :
Not my first choice in place to live, but academic jobs are so tight this year, to get a great offer from a not great place makes it harder to decide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page