February Dingos - Running for Love! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Geofizz; 01-11-2009 at 09:32 PM.
#2 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the race list for the March thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

CathToria - Jog for a Cause - March 14
HomeBirthMommy - ING Georgia Half Marathon - March 29
towsonmama - Cherry Blossom 10 miler - April 5
Realrellim, tjsmama - Platte River Half Marathon - April 5
JayGee - Carmel Sprint Triathlon - April 19
SugarAndSun, kate~mom - Boston Marathon - April 20
Penelope - Kentucy Derby Half Marathon - April 25
JayGee, doctorjen, Balancin1, Runningmommy, babybugmama, Geofizz, mommajb, bec - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 2
towsonmama - Frederick Half Marathon - May 3
JayGee - 50 Mile Relay Dances With Dirt - May 9
towsonmama - Cleveland Marathon - May 17
grnmtnmama - bike race Flower Power - May 23
CathToria - My First Triathlon - June 6
Plady - San Juan Island Half Marathon - June 7
HomeBirthMommy - Peachtree Road Race - July 4
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Olympic Triathlon - July 12
Plady, poppywise, 1jooj, crebrun, cornflakegirl - San Francisco Marathon - July 26
JenLove- Copperman Triathlon - August 1
grnmtnmama - Single Speed World Championships - September 16
bec - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 4

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#3 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I went for a long walk in a blizzard yesterday - it was beautiful and quite the workout!!! When I got home the kids and I played in the snow. Playing tag with snow to my mid thigh gave me enough exercise for one day

Today I have done 50 push ups and 10 crunches. My tail bone is still pretty sore so I can't do much there yet.
#4 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Nice title, drjen! I was waiting to see if someone would go with, what was it, eating groundhogs??

Crud. I was all ready to say I'm starting Feb. with no exercise for today then I just remembered that darn push-up challenge. Ugh. Off to push up!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#5 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the new thread, Jen! Great title, and great descriptions !

I wanted to ride the trainer tonight, but for some reason I've been totally sidelined by stomach pain all day. My gut is in a swollen, distended knot and I've got gas that could kill small animals ::. So I'm calling today a wash and running tomorrow morning at the YMCA.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#6 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM

checkin' in to see if cornflake girl posted a race report yet... :

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#7 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Dingoes eat groundhogs for breakfast?

I just made bagels, they're pretty good, wickedly easy and I can cross that off of my to do list for life. Although now I have to go back and try to figure out how to make them chewier. they were good, but not great. A new mission begins...

I also posted pix of dd's bedroom on my blog at long last.

Nice intro DrJen!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#8 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 PM

subbing.

I need fm, haven't run in over a week. I'm thinking of picking a Couch to 5K week that I know I can do and starting there. I need a race, I just need a goal! I have been working out at least but I miss running!
#9 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Shiny new thread!

Rr... I did 4.2 m today outside - it turns out that the trail near my house has a split and I'd always taken the dead-end but there's a longer path, too. (The wonder of actually looking at the map! ) So I got to do a good new run with hills today, which was fun.

I'm now officially training for my half in April!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#10 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM

hi there, just subbing....if I can get away with it I'll check tomorrow during a terribly boring meeting I have all day tomorrow. I thought it was Tuesday but then I got a call about it....nooooo, i had screwed it up and it's Monday! Plus this weird guy had "homework" for me for tomorrow. I did it but I was mad about it; who calls during the Superbowl with stuff to do for the next day? : he is weird though. we had a nice little get together, I ate way too much as usual, and I will run 5 with RP tomorrow morning. take care mamas.
#11 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM

:
#12 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 PM

sub-er-oo!
#13 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM

in. I am loving Eat to Live, and I'm only 1/3 through the 1st book.

I have to decide in a few weeks if I will run a 5 or 10K in March. I originaly wanted this race to be my 1st 10K w/o stopping in years. But the thought of doing 4 miles (which is the next LR on my training plan), has me so unmotivated. anyway, I'll see how I run this week and next, and then I will decide before I mail my application. Actually, can someone add me to the race list 3/14/09 jog for a cause . Any atl gals wanna join me ??? :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#14 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the title was me, but the intro is 100% ripped off of Geofizz's thread from last month!

Give me strength, mamas. It's almost the end of the SuperBowl and I'm waiting for dh to finish on the treadmill so I can get on. Not really in the mood, but need to get back in the habit of running, even when not in the mood.
#15 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
It's almost the end of the SuperBowl and I'm waiting for dh to finish on the treadmill so I can get on. Not really in the mood, .
Is this post about running or crosstraining??? :

ETA: I wil delete this if anyone is offended, I'm just in a joking mood!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#16 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the new thread drjen.

I hope cornflakegirl posts soon.

Feel (smell) better soon JayGee. It must be those two beers that turned you into luggage not sitting so well 24 hours later.

subbing in for the month...

Alice is scheduled to finally start school tomorrow. They have a 2 hour weather delay and I have very chilly feet. : I am giving it two weeks and then we will talk (unless it is horrific before then). Ugh. I am dreading this. On the other had I hope she has a great experience and it is the start of a good chapter for us both; I am not trying to send her into an awful situation for a bad experience. Do I sound confused enough? : I am trying to be positive around her. This has been dragging on for so long with school being out all last week for weather.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#17 of 1076 Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Great intro Jen!

I see a recovery run in my future. Owwwww.
#18 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 AM

:

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#19 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 AM

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#20 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Subbing.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#21 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
Is this post about running or crosstraining??? :

ETA: I wil delete this if anyone is offended, I'm just in a joking mood!!!
up

It was about running, but when I finished running, I found dh lying on our bed with his laptop . . . naked. So, we'll see once I get this run logged!

I was in no mood to run, but hadn't run since Thurs and really need to get on some kind of schedule. I wanted to run long if at all possible, so I decided to set out to do 8 and see what happened. I felt absolutely great after the first mile, and ended up running 8 10 minute miles, plus a warm up and cool down for 8.68 total. Now I can start Feb feeling good!

Need some labor vibes for a 41 1/2 week client - I'd like to see this baby at some point!

Speaking of labor vibes - JenLove will meet her baby Sprout this month! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!
#22 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 AM

subbing
#23 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Good run, today geo! You're way ahead of my mileage and my half is a month before yours, you're gonna do awesome. Glad your new shoes are working for you!

towson, I am : at your FB password!

We just got home from a nice Super Bowl party a few minutes ago. I kind of pathetically posted on FB yesterday that I was sad I didn't have anywhere to go, and voila, an invitation appeared. : I didn't actually invite myself, just put it out there that I didn't have anywhere to go, right? Anyways, it was nice. It was a pretty small party, I got to catch up with a couple of friends I haven't spent much time with lately, the kids played GREAT and with only a couple of incidents of sugar-high crazies. OMG, you guys, I made these banana bars for the party and they were SO crazy good. YUM.

I need to run tomorrow, even though I just did my long run today. Unfortunately, it's the only way I'm gonna get all my runs in this week. The weather looks good, at least, and I'm not feeling like I had a long run today (duh, it was only 5), so hopefully it will be nice and easy.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#24 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
It was about running, but when I finished running, I found dh lying on our bed with his laptop . . . naked. So, we'll see once I get this run logged!
:

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#25 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM

jo - I'm glad all was well yesterday when your DH was missing. I was worried.

cath - Now that was funny!

poppy - did you really check in to see how I had done? : aw, I feel so loved!

Well, it went better than I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams! I PRed by about 3:20. Final time was 1:51:01! Most of the race was on PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) right in front of the ocean except for miles 3-6 which run inland up into a neighborhood and back down onto PCH. Not too long after starting someone pointed out dolphins in the water which was pretty cool. I have no idea how I pulled off a PR so soon after my last 7 weeks ago. I really didn't even feel that great and thought I had absolutely no chance of a PR. My splits for the first 11 miles ranged from 8:18 - 8:43, but mile 12 was 7:45, mile 13 was 7:51 and the last .17 was at 7:19. Those last miles totally blow me away because my 5k pace is in the 7:30's. Now I'm totally itching to see what I can do in a 5k but I don't have one scheduled until May. I do have an 8k in three weeks so that will have to do. Thanks for reading!
#26 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 AM

WOW. Great race!!! : Sounds gorgeous...I love driving down PCH, I bet running along it is fabulous, too!

#27 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 AM

Cornflake--wow! I am in awe.

I was going to walk but DH and I ended up talking. It was an improvement over the all-out fighting we've done all weekend. I'm also beginning to wonder if living with DD is like some subtle form of torture. During the last 26 days, she's woken us up early 9 mornings, and it's not the kind of pat her and tell her go back to sleep, but more like arguing with me about whether she's going to nurse before 7 (for the last time, no!) and then waking us up every 5-10 minutes during the next hour. Small wonder we're spending days like this. She fights bedtime like anything and we've finally gotten a handle on that again, but I hadn't realized just how often it was happening. I'm going to keep tracking it and see if it's just something about this month. She's done it before, but I would have sworn she has a rough period and then a couple of months pass. Now I'm thinking that all this interrupted sleep is messing with my memory. :

In good news, I'm happy to report that I've decided my shoe situation (mostly). Registration for the Platte River 1/2 is open at a local running store and they're offering 25% off Brooks shoes or apparel that's regularly $100 or more, plus $5 off registration this month. So, now I can get the Brooks after all too. Then I won't need new shoes anytime soon either.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#28 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Awesom race, CG!!!! You're really flying! I can't imagine a more gorgeous venue than the PCH. I'm so envious!

realrellim ~ I hope you like your soon-to-be new Brooks as much as I mine. Sorry your DD is giving you sleep issues. If it makes you feel any better, my DD1 got into bed with me at 5:52 this morning and proceeded to announce every time the minute changed ~ "I'ts 5:54, it's 5:55, it's 5:56"! ARGH!!!!!!!

Belly feels much better. Maybe it was the beer.....

Jen, now I have this image of your DH.... naked.... with the laptop.... giving you that look..... ! Hope you got to run AND crosstrain.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#29 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM

DJen, glad I didn't offend :, I just couldn't help it when I read the words that you typed, hee hee

CFG, :, you are super fast

I was planning a class at teh gym this am. but after reading these rr's, I really want to try to run. I want my 5k at the end of my tri to be faster than a 10mm. I mean, what would it matter if I smoke the swim, but then I take almost double the time as the other runners to finish the run leg. So I think I will run today, yay!

Gear news: I had to order my dd some swim caps, suits, goggles and I got her a swimmer backpack for her Bday. So for me, I ordered a cap made for long hair. I fight with teh regular caps sometimes, so I think I this one will work better for me. I was not excited about the $7.50 price tag (i usually just buy teh private label silicone caps for $2.50 ish) but I'm now excited about getting it.

I think the only other clothign that I need for my tri is a black enell. I still have not 100% figured out how to harness my boobies for both a swim and a run............

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#30 of 1076 Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM

cornflake, way to go on your run. Awesome time! And I bet it was just a beautiful run, too, huh? :

I am SOOOOOOO ready for a beautiful run. Would have broken down and gone outdoors this weekend if I weren't so afraid of injury. Soon. I did my 5 yesterday and am way too beat this AM to run--and my back is really hurting, must be from the bucket brigade work--so today will be rest. A PM walk/jog if I am up to it.

Got to bed around 10 last night, which is just late for me. And my guts have that I-ate-Pakistani-food irritation this morning. But oof.

Gigi, your joke to drjen made me laugh.

real, I remember when Megs (where are you, Megs??) was having trouble with the sleep. It took its toll on her and her dh. to you. I hope you can start getting more sleep soon. And less fighting. And I hope you love your Brooks like I love mine. I am seriously emotionally attached to the brand because of how my shoes have allowed me to run distances I never thought possible. One of the few brands I have any loyalty to.

Was it mothercat who asked about masks? Yeah, we had masks and safety glasses for the tear-down, and this is 109-year-old plaster...under studs...under drywall...under a cake-frosting plaster finish. It was 3 inches thick. : Luckily it was 33* outside so we could shut off the heat all day and open windows so the wind could carry a lot of it out of the house. But I will be cleaning up dust for months to come.

Today is reb's bday.

Dh and I talked some more about the whole workload thing. Just to reiterate my points and make absolutely sure he's clear on where I stand re: coming back home. He gets it. For me, it's all about getting the things done on the house that we need to do so that I can give up the job. The sooner we get there, the sooner I get to walk. That is, if we even both still have jobs then. His employer announced they'll be cutting like a third of their white-collar workforce at his location, and I still would not be surprised if mine made further reductions. So, anything could happen.

Depending on what goes on at work today, I think I may design my garden and write an essay about Dingo(e)s.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page