Loosing 20 and having a sugar addiction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to loose about 20 lbs in the next month (or 2.) and I have a serious SEVERE sugar habit. I cant even go ONE day without consuming refined white sugar. (Its nearly an hourly issue. ) What are some ways I can still loose the weight and yet curb the sugar thing? First of all I am switching over to diet soda from coffee (which i consume with loads of sugar and half and half)

Even though I dont think splenda is a great option, I figure maybe I can take a few steps towards curbing the sugar thing instead of trying to quit cold turkey?

I could do those little meringue drops for a sweet treat too, I think they are relatively harmless. (My dad has them in his diabetic cook book!)

Maybe I should get the diabetic cook book! LOL.

Who has dealt with this sugar thing before?
#2 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

I just sub fruit. I aslo get the offending sugar (cookies, ice cream, candy) out of teh house.

Have you ever tried coffee with just milk? I did a few years ago, and I really perfer the taste.

What is your all time favorite sweet snack? And what id your all time favorite time of the day to eat it? Maybe you can get your favorite, package it into indiv serving sizes, and plan to eat one a day at x time. Then when a sugar craving hits at 10am, you can tell yourself, "I'll eat this clementine now and I can have my 2 oreos at 3pm"

HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#3 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM

This link was posted on another thread, it has a list of things that can help combat cravings.
http://www.2ndwindbodyscience.com/wh...our%20food.php

You can also try very dark chocolate (at least 72% cocoa) a square at a time, or waiting for 15 minutes to see if the craving dissipates.
#4 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to add that today has been a particularly bad day for me sugar wise - Sugar is almost druglike for me. I eat it, get a "high" then come down, and the cycle has to continue. (I havent figured out a way to break it. Sometimes I'll drag my butt to a good reastaurant like Panera Bread and get a really healthy veggie meal)

I get weird head rushes that I cannot explain when I have eaten alot of sugar.
#5 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm so with you on the sugar thing. I'm giving it up for Lent starting tomorrow. I'm really nervous about it, b/c I truly believe it is a physical craving, much like an addiction.
We could be our own little support group.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#6 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM

I bought bubble gum and chewed it almost around the clock. It kept my mouth busy so I couldn't mindlessly nibble and it also helped satisfy my sweets craving without actually eating. Iced tea sweetened with honey was also a life-saver for me, and when I gave up cokes I replaced them with juice.

I also found that by counting calories, I could find little ways to "budget" sweets into my diet daily so that I could get that little sugar fix each day. M&M's are awesome for that, btw!
#7 of 22 Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM

I just recently accepted that sugar really is an addiction for me. I gave it up cold turkey 10 days ago. I've done it before, and for me, I have to quit all sweet stuff, artificial sweets just keep me craving sweets. When I realized that I had substituted white bread (homemade sourdough, but still, I couldn't stop, I could eat like 6 slices in one little binge) and raisins, I decided I needed to do more, so I started on the South Beach diet on Monday. I definitely want and need to lose some weight, but my *main* motivator is to killing the addiction.

I did train myself to drink coffee without sugar last fall though, the last time I tried (and failed) to give up sugar. And although I think giving up all the carbs for the 2 weeks SB requires, then gradually adding complex carbs back in is what I need to do, I also think it helped that I did it in stages.

Good luck. It is *hard*, and there are plenty of us here who feel your pain!
#8 of 22 Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I kwym - I would binge out on white bread if I didint have sugar. I remember eating brown sugar from the bag when I was a kid.

Ever read "Sugar Blues?" By William Duffy?

Its a must read for all effected by this wicked addiction.
#9 of 22 Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

I've had a huge sweet tooth ever since my last baby was born. My midwife mentioned that sugar cravings are often a sign that you're not getting enough protein. I don't know if this can be backed up scientifically, but I do notice that I crave sugar less during the day when I've had a high protein breakfast or lunch.
#10 of 22 Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

its also a sign you arent getting enough sleep. If you arent nursing at night, you can get checked for sleep apnea.
#11 of 22 Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
bec

I would second South Beach. All my cravings were gone by the 4th day. I Have also lost about 25 pounds in the last 6 months!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#12 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Wow I have been really thinking about this a lot lately. I have a very terrible sweet tooth.

Lately my addiction is Twerpz. They are weird and gross, but somehow delicious and addictive at the same time. Sigh.

This is a hard time of year for me....our 'candy' holiday is coming up and there are treats all over the house in preparation. I find it so, so, hard. I am good until like 3-4pm and then all bets are off.

My mood goes up and then way down when I eat it. I think I probably also have an issue with white flour.

How do I deal with this? Maybe I should do South Beach. I also have about 30 lbs. I'd like to lose, although 15 would put me at pre-baby weight. The diet looks so radical and scary to me...

Anyone else have this weird psychological thing where the second they say "diet" they start binge eating?! I must be a loon.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#13 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

How do I deal with this? Maybe I should do South Beach. I also have about 30 lbs. I'd like to lose, although 15 would put me at pre-baby weight. The diet looks so radical and scary to me...
(
y'know, that's how I always felt, but I'm not finding it that way, now that I'm doing it.
#14 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM
bec

Hah! That's why I call it a way of eating! It isn't a diet! It's a change in lifestyle!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#15 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Okay, I just had breakfast. It's not perfect, because we're snowed in and I am not able to get to the market.

apple (I know, not good...but nothing else to have) w/ peanut butter
1 hard boiled egg
1 string cheese

mug of coffee with milk, no sugar (major breakthrough for me)

Hopefully I can get to the market later although it's not looking great...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#16 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 AM

Another sugar addict here too!

When I was pregnant with #2 I would crave sugar so bad it was all I could think about. And instead of denying myself all sugar, I would acknowledge the craving with a little chocolate (like a handful of kisses). If I didn't get the "fix" I remember it getting out of control and eating a ton of crap instead of just the one piece that I originally wanted.

I made it into a rule for myself to give into the craving before I let it take hold of me. And I think it has really helped. I don't eat sweets everyday, maybe once a week? I am not sure I would survive without a sweet every now and then .

And not keeping it around is the biggest help. Now I have to gather up the kids and drive. Way more work than it's worth. And forget holiday candy, just keep it away from me (who really needs a gigantic bag of 10,000 pieces of candy?)
#17 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
(who really needs a gigantic bag of 10,000 pieces of candy?)
#18 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM

I know that yeast overgrowth really makes people crave sugar.

We are dealing w/thrush for the 2nd time (1st time a couple of yrs ago when ds2 was a baby) and I notice that when I am getting the thrush under control by using probiotics and grapfruit seed extract (capsule form) then the sugar cravings are also under control. When I start eating sugar again (even just one day or a couple of times) the thrush flares up and the cravings are unbearable.

I am battling this w/you guys, thanks for all the tips!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#19 of 22 Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

so, do colonics help with that? (yeast?)
#20 of 22 Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM

I really think it's sometimes best to give up an addictive substance entirely. I gave up chocolate about a month ago and I feel so free! I've also given up desserts for Lent, and the only sweets I'm eating now are hard candies.

Interesting about the bread--I've really been eating a lot of bread since I've made these changes. Maybe I have some more changes to make!
#21 of 22 Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM

I've just re-committed myself to getting in shape (need to lose ~20lbs, would be thrilled to lose 30 or so) I've been counting calories, and while it hasn't cured my cravings, it certainly puts things in perspective for me. I no longer keep any sweets in the house, which is huge, and I've allowed myself to try using splenda in coffee and some diet lemonade- I think that having something sweet helps me not feel so deprived (and if I go crazy and wnat to "binge" on 3 cups of coffe with splenda- it won't have nay huge effect on my cal. count for the day.

I did make some observations this weekend that I find interesting. When we were out shopping last night, after dinner, with me knowing that I had 300 cals left in my daily allottment, I felt ready to treat myself and yet had a really tough time deciding that any of the sweets I looked at were really worth the calories- they're just so dense that it would only take a tiny portion to use up my 300. After driving dh batty while I walked around reading labels, I finally settled on some chocolate chip muffins mix-- got to have the plesure of baking them, licking the bowl (Mmmm), and it was a small enough package that each of us (dh, dd, and myself) could have 2 muffins, with none left over (for a total of 240 cals)- with a cup of coffee, it was quite a treat! However, after I finished my second muffin I wanted MORE. I'd been fine all week, but one sweet snack and I felt almost desperate for more sweet, doughy yumminess. If I had made a larger batch, intending to package them up for individual treats later in the week, I guarantee I would have eaten them all right then. It's hard because I do want to build little treats into my diet- but I don't know if that desperate feeling is worth it- I'm still shocked by how out of control I felt.
#22 of 22 Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 PM

I'm dealing with it right now.

It's awful-just absolutely awful! I thought I had a vitamin defeciency, had everything checked, and all is well. Could be not enough protein or sleep. Breakfast is hard, as I'm allergic to eggs-so trying to find high protein first thing is challenging.

For me, I have realized that sugar makes me have brain fogginess, heart palpitations, increased anxiety, and increased weight. Yuck! I am now believing this in an addiction, but am just not sure how to break it.

Good to know I'm not alone. I have blood sugar issues, and don't let my dc eat sugar regularly(yes, I sneak it!)...such a hypocrite!

Oh! I do the bread(or cereal!) thing,too.Ugh.

I need will power!!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page