March Weight Watcher -- Losing Our Shamrocks - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoedeansmom View Post
Tracy-I really feel for you. Your post made me sad. I wish I had something very wise to say, but the best I can do is and tell you that you are not alone! I have felt that way before, I'm sure many of us had. Self-improvement is not for sissies! It IS hard work! My journey is far from over, but I feel I have made progress and, believe me, it is worth it! Please know we are all here to support you.
it makes me sad too. thanks you for the hugs. I mean, I feel pretty decent emotionally these days... but, I still have issues. Same stupid issues I've had trailing along behind me most of my life. You'd think I'd have them figured out by now!

I'm glad you're able to track back and see that you've made progress. That really does feel good!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#62 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I have a great hummus recipe I can share later if anyone's interested. It takes *maybe* 5 minutes to make. We always have it on hand. The kids love it! And dipping forces me to eat my crackers and veggies slower when I have them for a snack.
I'd love your hummus recipe. I love hummus! (And I'm the only one in the family who will eat it. My kids have pretty restricted veggies too. I'm just happy, given dh's issues with veggies that they eat any at all.)

Thanks for the ideas.

I could do salads, I suppose, if I plan ahead. I'm not a morning person, so lunch tends to be whatever is easiest (i.e. sandwich, fruit, carrots). I'm not an enormous salad person (it makes me feel a bit like a rabbit), but one salad a week is doable.

I don't have a lot of time to eat MWF for lunch, so it's got to be something ready to go when I get back to my office after teaching. But, I'm going grocery shopping today, so I'll stock up on salad fixings and maybe make a 'base salad' to add things to. But T/Th I can make time to reheat a potato, or something else. Hm... maybe I'll add some veggie soups to my shopping list.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#63 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Tracy-Go back to page 3 and read what Ami said! Ami, that was awesome, well said, I agree with you 100%! I have a friend who is doing WW for the first time after years of unhealthy weight loss attempts, fad diets, etc. And she is having a very hard time eating her points, too. (I've mentioned her before, so excuse any repetition!) She has a hard time not seeing her points as "bad" and food as "bad". Food is necessary and points are there to fuel you. As hard as it is, Tracy, try to trust the program and follow it to a T just to see if it works. Would it help to give yourself a set amount of time to try it? My friend is giving herself 6 mos of really doing WW, by the book, (she attends meetings and all), then she will re-evaluate. She's having a hard time being patient with the "slow" weight loss, but she's staying on plan and it is working. What if you give yourself a month? Or start with a week, just one week of eating every point, tracking every bite, following the GHG and not weighing in more than once a week? Treat it like an experiment, maybe, and we'll all be here to cheer you on!

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::
#64 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I don't understand. I'm a smart person but, an idiot who doesn't listen that little truth hiding in me somewhere.
Well, smart people are much better at coming up with creative alternatives to the truth!

Quote:
I hope I can make it better each day and get closer to correct each time. I'm not going to give up at this <snip>
this is hard. changing the inside, reprogramming, is hard.
Yep, it sure is. How about you work on getting one more of your points eaten every day each week? So, if you're 5 points short a day now, this week you can aim to be 4 points 'short'.

I don't have a binge mentality, but I am a very emotional eater. I've been 'eating ahead' for years because I get so cranky when I'm hungry. It's really, really hard not to use this an excuse.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#65 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Tracy-Go back to page 3 and read what Ami said! Ami, that was awesome, well said, I agree with you 100%! I have a friend who is doing WW for the first time after years of unhealthy weight loss attempts, fad diets, etc. And she is having a very hard time eating her points, too. (I've mentioned her before, so excuse any repetition!) She has a hard time not seeing her points as "bad" and food as "bad". Food is necessary and points are there to fuel you. As hard as it is, Tracy, try to trust the program and follow it to a T just to see if it works. Would it help to give yourself a set amount of time to try it? My friend is giving herself 6 mos of really doing WW, by the book, (she attends meetings and all), then she will re-evaluate. She's having a hard time being patient with the "slow" weight loss, but she's staying on plan and it is working. What if you give yourself a month? Or start with a week, just one week of eating every point, tracking every bite, following the GHG and not weighing in more than once a week? Treat it like an experiment, maybe, and we'll all be here to cheer you on!
I could MAYBE give it a week. MAYBE. I really can't handle all these decisions, delimas, and choices. I don't know what to do with all of this. NONE of it fits with the way my mind is currently working. I put off ww for long enough so I'm really ready to get rid of this 40lbs thats been sitting there making me feel yucky about my body. I couldn't imagine giving it 6 MONTHS just to see if it will or won't work. I lost my 35lbs (the last 5+ or so was purely vanity weight) in the first 4 months or so the last time I was on ww. The last 10 was a bit slower and it made me half crazy. But, by then I was down to 14-16 pts per day. Bad, bad, bad. The first 2 months I was eating all 20 and loosing just fine but, that wasn't good enough for me for some unknown reason.

I really can't comprehend what all of this means for me right now. I'm mean, I'm here, I get it, it makes sense... but, my problem is in the "doing". I don't know how to eat all of it and certainly not eat all of it AND be satisfied. Eating one sliver of cake is not "eating cake" to me. Eating 2/3 of a full size cake (or half) is what it takes to feel like I'm "eating cake" yk. I can't make a batch of cookies and freeze them, only eating one or two a day. I make a batch and clean it up within 1 and a half days TOPS. Just thinking about never being able to eat a batch of cookies in 24 every again gives me anxiety. Really, actual anxiety.

I don't know what to do...

#66 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
Well, smart people are much better at coming up with creative alternatives to the truth!

Yep, it sure is. How about you work on getting one more of your points eaten every day each week? So, if you're 5 points short a day now, this week you can aim to be 4 points 'short'.

I don't have a binge mentality, but I am a very emotional eater. I've been 'eating ahead' for years because I get so cranky when I'm hungry. It's really, really hard not to use this an excuse.
I have that 'cranky when I can't eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it' problem too. Just ask dh!

#67 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
I have the same Costco WW scale, got it a few weeks ago. I can get on it 5 times and get 2 or 3 different weights, but within a few tenths.

When I went to my meeting this week, I weighed myself right before, and the scale at my meeting had me .1# higher, so I think it's pretty accurate.
Thanks AK! I definitely like the number on the WW scale better!
It will look like I lost big this week when I enter in the new weight. Can I pretend I just suddenly dropped 4 lbs?
#68 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Tracy, take this with a grain of salt but I think you have an eating disorder and I think it might help to either find a group for people suffering (it makes me sad to type that word and apply it to you) or a private therapist. If you'd like, I also have an anorexic friend I could put you in touch with here on MDC and she can maybe help you see what so many of us are seeing here too. Whatever you do, we're here for you, ok?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#69 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm reading all the discussion re: emotional/binge eating and it's making me squirm. It's been a rough year in my house (new baby, last year of school, stbx's infidelity, financial stress) and my weight comes purely from self medicating with food.

The past two months I've been working with a family therapist to work on re-programming my internal dialogue. I used to think that sounded so hokey, but my eating is purely mindless at this point. Sad? Food. Nervous? Food. Happy? Food. Every milestone or setback is rewarded or comforted with food.

Anyway, I have a six year old who's a 'bored' eater already. If she's even slightly un-entertained, it's 'I'm hungry - can I have a snack?' I just cut juice out of her diet and we're working on ways to discuss nutrition and enjoying our healthy body (the family therapist is helping me here).

The last thing I want is to pass on my body issues to her. My mother is an amazing role model for loving yourself (not sure where my problems stem from) and I want to give dd a really good platform to launch into adolescence with.

So, that's a bit more about me! Way to dive right in.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#70 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Tracy, take this with a grain of salt but I think you have an eating disorder and I think it might help to either find a group for people suffering (it makes me sad to type that word and apply it to you) or a private therapist. If you'd like, I also have an anorexic friend I could put you in touch with here on MDC and she can maybe help you see what so many of us are seeing here too. Whatever you do, we're here for you, ok?
yk, just 2 weeks ago I for the first time, outloud used the words, 'eating disorder" in a sentence about myself. It was the first time I allowed myself to accociate myself with those words. I've always thought that word was only for people who are rail thin, hugely overweight, or force themselves to throw up. I wasn't any of those things so I counted it out. It's also a pride thing and not wanting to be the 'person with issues'.

ugh.

I'm actually going to a prayer counceling session this tuesday at a friend's church. It's sort of counceling with God intertmixed into the session. Not sure if it will be a good fit for me (I'm not a very churchy person) but, it doesn't cost anything (the only reason I can go really) and it's worth a shot. I already talked to the associate pastor about it and told her I wanted to focus on my eating issues. We'll see how it goes.

I don't know what will help right now or who to talk to. I'm a very high functioning member of society, I feel pretty good aside from self image, and I get done what needs to be done and enjoy myself... but, like in the past I know a crash is coming at some point if I don't get this figured out. I know I need to start by eating healthy and controlling my portions. ww helps with that. It just shoves me away from bingeing and in turn, toward conrolled starving tendency.

thank you

#71 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm reading all the discussion re: emotional/binge eating and it's making me squirm. It's been a rough year in my house (new baby, last year of school, stbx's infidelity, financial stress) and my weight comes purely from self medicating with food.

The past two months I've been working with a family therapist to work on re-programming my internal dialogue. I used to think that sounded so hokey, but my eating is purely mindless at this point. Sad? Food. Nervous? Food. Happy? Food. Every milestone or setback is rewarded or comforted with food.

Anyway, I have a six year old who's a 'bored' eater already. If she's even slightly un-entertained, it's 'I'm hungry - can I have a snack?' I just cut juice out of her diet and we're working on ways to discuss nutrition and enjoying our healthy body (the family therapist is helping me here).

The last thing I want is to pass on my body issues to her. My mother is an amazing role model for loving yourself (not sure where my problems stem from) and I want to give dd a really good platform to launch into adolescence with.

yes, this! all of this! i hear ya! I've been wondering how much of my habbits rub off on dd too. She is 3 and very much a big eater. She is very active as well but, I used to be active too so I know all too well that body image issues don't skip people who are in good shape. I formed all those bad eating habbits back when I was thin and now they're biting me in the behind! I know the very worst part about my eating issues is how they may effect dd in her future. best reason to get them under control ASAP!

#72 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Tracy, I was so scared I'd make you angry. Instead, I only said something you already suspected, like good friends do.
I want you to lose the weight you need to be healthy and then just BE healthy forever.

Talk about joining us on a slow day, Melissa. Where we were you on the day we were talking poop dances??!
Anyway, jump on in and process away. We're here to help.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#73 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
anyone else feel really tired right after going on ww?

I'm pretty much eating half of the cals I was eating pre ww so I've been suffering with a serious case of the sleepies. Prior to ww I had quite a bit of sugar and carbs so now I feel like I have no energy. Protein and grains just don't do it like sugar and fat . I know thats horribly backwards and messed up but, oh well!
sounds like a huge blood sugar drop, to me. go sleep, but your body should even out once it gets used to a new way. are you getting enough protein? maybe when you feel sleepy, you can try an apple instead of chocolate. yes, i know fruit is not sweets (that's what my mom used to say when i wanted sweets-- "have a piece of fruit!" um...mom...fruit is not chocolate!) but it will keep your blood sugar from bottoming out, while giving you fiber and nutrients as well.

Quote:
Then I started to manipulate it because for once I had total control over something

I'm working on fixing the inside but, until I get a better handle on that those pts are going to be very hard to eat. it seems like I either binge and sweets and carbs all day long or go on a diet and take it to the extreme

I understand but at the same time I don't yk. I WANT to eat all of my pts. I know I should but, I just don't. I can't eat them... I don't know why. For someone with such a binge attitude I really am surprisingly terrible at eating all of my pts. I need to fix this but, I don't know how. It's like I'm incapable of making myself eat all 33 pts.

I don't understand. I'm a smart person but, an idiot who doesn't listen that little truth hiding in me somewhere.

I need to keep going and try my hardest not to screw myself up in the process.

this is hard. changing the inside, reprogramming, is hard.
Quote:
I dont know about the PPD. Ds is 13 weeks on tuesday. I had PPD with dd big time and I feel nothing like that now so I really dont think I have much of it.

I've always been a binge eater.

I've always been really hard on myself. As an adult much of it is directed at my size.

When it comes to food I just give in. I've never (and will never) tried alcohol, cigaretts, or drugs and it's a darn good thing since I have a tendency to overdo!

I'm just addicted to the act of eating. I barely even chew my food before I'm shoving more in. I gaurd my food like a pitbull and hate to share my food (I really only let dd share with me ). A former alcoholic is told to stay away from bars and people who drink.... but, I can't stay away from places that serve food and people who eat it.

the last time I was on ww I got too small. Didn't think so then, but looking back at pics now I'm amazed that I still thought I was too big back then. I hope I can at least hold on to that tiny thread of hope that I may have wrapped my brain around at least part of the problem. I feel like I'm talking but getting nowhere and blabbing on and on about nothingness. I can't explain this problem with any less than a novel.
you know, FondestBianca....read over just the quoted parts...i am no expert or psychologist but i am an alcoholic 14 years sober and i have done some time in OA and i have had my stints with depression as well. and your posts scream to me, either eating disorder or depression or both. and i'd bet a month's salary that someone very close to you is an alkie/addict and that their behavior has affected you in an extreme manner.

i'm wondering if just this group and you by yourself is enough to help you through. have you considered counseling? or a 12-step group? i'm saying this from a position of extreme compassion, hon because i know what it's like to be baffled by my own behavior and try and try and try, yet fail. please consider going to see someone? someone trained in either eating disorders or addictive behaviors?

hang in there, mama. you are loved, even if it's not by you at the moment. we will love you until you can love yourself, k?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#74 of 662 Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
sounds like a huge blood sugar drop, to me. go sleep, but your body should even out once it gets used to a new way. are you getting enough protein? maybe when you feel sleepy, you can try an apple instead of chocolate. yes, i know fruit is not sweets (that's what my mom used to say when i wanted sweets-- "have a piece of fruit!" um...mom...fruit is not chocolate!) but it will keep your blood sugar from bottoming out, while giving you fiber and nutrients as well.

you know, FondestBianca....read over just the quoted parts...i am no expert or psychologist but i am an alcoholic 14 years sober and i have done some time in OA and i have had my stints with depression as well. and your posts scream to me, either eating disorder or depression or both. and i'd bet a month's salary that someone very close to you is an alkie/addict and that their behavior has affected you in an extreme manner.

i'm wondering if just this group and you by yourself is enough to help you through. have you considered counseling? or a 12-step group? i'm saying this from a position of extreme compassion, hon because i know what it's like to be baffled by my own behavior and try and try and try, yet fail. please consider going to see someone? someone trained in either eating disorders or addictive behaviors?

hang in there, mama. you are loved, even if it's not by you at the moment. we will love you until you can love yourself, k?
The reason I've never had a single sip of alcohol (even in hs when EVERYONE was doing it) and never will is because someone close to me had problems with addiction to alcohol. I made that decision between the ages 5 and 8 or so and stuck by it.

In my adult life (about a year and a half ago) I attended AA with the above mentioned person (they were required to go through the program due to DUI) on the nights family was permitted to go. The odd thing was, as I sat there with all of those people addicted to a substance I'd never even tried, I felt so familiar with everything they said. The way they talked about alcohol and what led them to be in the position they are sounded exactly like the way I talk about food, the way it makes me feel, the reason I abuse it, etc. I felt strangely at home and accpeted by all of those people even though alcohol is the farthest thing from being MY problem. It was sort of theraputic for me... but, then of course family nights ended and I lost my little weekly therapy session. It's just so odd to me that I felt so 'at home' with a bunch of people I thought I'd never in a million years understand.

I don't have the funds for any sort of paid program and my schedule is pretty limited with dd, ds, and dh's work schedule. I live in a burb town with very few resources. I could find a group in the nearby city but, I'd have to take ds so I could bf because I'd be away from home too long. excuses, I know.

thank you for the kind words

oh and yes, I have blood sugar issues. It gets too low if I space my food out to far or eat too much fast burning sugars. In the past it's dropped low enough suddenly that I've had to pull my car over, eat to avoid passing out, shake so bad suddenly that I can't perform simply motor functions. I'll even get a little loopy and out of it if it gets too far. It only get that bad if I'm running around in town, forget to bring food and don't stop for any. That doesn't happen too often these days. I know all the warning signs along the way so I can usually get some food in before it becomes a problem.

#75 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
The reason I've never had a single sip of alcohol (even in hs when EVERYONE was doing it) and never will is because someone close to me had problems with addiction to alcohol. I made that decision between the ages 5 and 8 or so and stuck by it.

In my adult life (about a year and a half ago) I attended AA with the above mentioned person (they were required to go through the program due to DUI) on the nights family was permitted to go. The odd thing was, as I sat there with all of those people addicted to a substance I'd never even tried, I felt so familiar with everything they said. The way they talked about alcohol and what led them to be in the position they are sounded exactly like the way I talk about food, the way it makes me feel, the reason I abuse it, etc. I felt strangely at home and accpeted by all of those people even though alcohol is the farthest thing from being MY problem. It was sort of theraputic for me... but, then of course family nights ended and I lost my little weekly therapy session. It's just so odd to me that I felt so 'at home' with a bunch of people I thought I'd never in a million years understand.

I don't have the funds for any sort of paid program and my schedule is pretty limited with dd, ds, and dh's work schedule. I live in a burb town with very few resources. I could find a group in the nearby city but, I'd have to take ds so I could bf because I'd be away from home too long. excuses, I know.

thank you for the kind words
you're welcome, sweetie i'm glad you didn't get offended.
yes, i thought it sounded familiar
it's even possible that you could be an alkie that just hasn't tried it yet-- remember, Bill Wilson (co founder of AA) didn't take his first drink till he was like 30yo. but i won't go there and scare you.
ok-- no more excuses. here is what you can do. research online, and find what you can find -- and also there are a megaton of meetings that are live chats, that you can "attend", and you can even lurk there to try them on for size. you can benefit some without even participating! of course though participation is better, when you feel comfortable. when i did OA there was none in my area. i did all the meetings online.

it's no surprise (well, to me) that someone close to you was addicted. i did lots of reading and research into my own disease when i was 2y sober and found out that it's so common, what you are going through. you aren't alone! though that probably isn't comforting. but you know what, it will be when you find others. try online meetings if you can't get out.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#76 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post

Melissa, much of this is true for me, too! As a mother of two girls, I feel especially concerned with how my own habits and body image might affect my children. Watching them now, they are so sure of themselves. They love their bodies because they see no reason not to, they don't even have to think about it. They use their bodies as tools to do what they want to do. (I'm not saying this well but you kwim?) When do we lose that? My mom always told me I was beautiful but I never believed it. I remember her being puzzled about my poor self-image when I was in high school. She would say "but we've always told you how beautiful you are." Years later, I realized the problem was that she never told me SHE was beautiful. She constantly criticized herself and didn't/doesn't take care of herself. Our children learn so much more from our actions than our words.

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::
#77 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 AM

On a MUCH lighter note, here's my hummus recipe! So easy, so tasty! : For a large snack or a small meal, I have a 1/4 cup of this (3 pts), a cup of baby carrots (0 pts) and 9 wheat crackers (1 pt) or even 18 crackers (2 pts-a full serving according to the box) and I'm pretty happy. It's a full plate of food, if you spread it out a bit!

Hummus (from America's Test Kitchen)
Makes about 2 cups

1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas/garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c. tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 c. water
1 garlic clove (or more!)
3/4 tsp. salt
pinch cayenne pepper
3 T. lemon juice

Put the garlic in the food processor and pulse a couple of times to mince it. Add the rest of the ingredients except the EVOO. Process until smooth, about 40 seconds, while streaming oil in. Chill at least 30 minutes. (We can never wait, we like it just as much at room temperature!) Store tightly-wrapped in fridge.

#78 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 AM

thank you for the recipe Christina. I didn't get tahini at the grocery store, but as soon as I can, I'm making this!

OK, if anyone is still up, I've got 5 weekly points to burn tonight! I'd been saving points for a potluck yesterday, but I got sick and stayed home. I've already had 4 points worth of Girl Scout cookies out of my saved points, and I'm not thinking that 9 points of GS cookies is a healthy move.

Any ideas for something nice? (No salt, tomorrow's weigh-in).

#79 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM

Wow, this thread moves so fast it's a little hard to keep up if you only check it once a day! Okay, for my info:
Name: Barbara
Starting Weight: 236.8
Current Weight: 228.2 (in two weeks)
Lifetime Goal (if you've set one): The online says 120, I think 140 sounds a lot better for me (although, right now, I'd just like to get into a regular size and be able to shop in regular stores. . .I'm tired of being plus)

Do you do WW through meetings, on-line, or on your own? I do the online, there are no groups where I live

Do you follow another special diet at the same time? I don't eat anything "fat free", I try to eat a lot of whole foods including fruits and veggies. I have to force myself to eat dairy for the good health guidelines. I do a once a week free day where I don't log any points (I rarely use any flex points during the week, so I use them on this day). I eat a lot of Japanese food and it's sometimes hard to figure the nutritional info so sometimes I have to guesstimate. I really like making veggie juices in the mornings, I've found I have a lot more energy since doing this!

Do you have a WW goal for March? Just to stay on plan and increase my exercise (I got 17 exercise points last week, this week I'll shoot for more).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#80 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Alright, I'll jump in here!

Name: Liv
Starting Weight: 176.8
Current Weight: 160
Lifetime Goal (if you've set one): Hard to know for sure (I have no idea what I've weighed at healthy points in my life as I never weighed myself) but I'm thinking somewhere between 135-140.

Do you do WW through meetings, on-line, or on your own? meetings, which surprises me as I'm not usually a group joiner, but I actually really enjoy the meetings

Do you follow another special diet at the same time? I'm a fish eating vegetarian (I know that probably has some technical name, but I don't know it ).

Do you have a WW goal for March? I've been going to drop in classes at the Y which are challenging for me, both physically which is good, but also socially, which is also good I suppose. I'm very introverted and jumping into a group where I feel like I don't know what I'm going is very nerve wracking. The truth is though that once I go, I've really been enjoying them. So my goal is to keep going. My other goal is to not get trapped in the same rut I have before. I reached 158.2 back in August (which was roughly my pre-pregnancies weight) and just hit a wall, fell off the wagon, and went back up to 171. I'm close to that number again now and I just am not going to let it happen again.

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#81 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
thank you for the recipe Christina. I didn't get tahini at the grocery store, but as soon as I can, I'm making this!
If you have sesame oil you can leave out the tahini and just add sesame oil to taste. I met a chef once who told me she used peanut butter in her hummus because she couldn't get tahini (this was on Guam).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#82 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Name: Barbara

Lifetime Goal (if you've set one): The online says 120, I think 140 sounds a lot better for me (although, right now, I'd just like to get into a regular size and be able to shop in regular stores. . .I'm tired of being plus)
Hello and welcome! :

You can use WW to reach any goal that feels right to you. There's no rule that you *must* be going for a weight on the chart. Meetings members can even achieve lifetime at a higher weight than on the chart if they have a note from their doctor saying that their weight is healthy for them. We are all different, with different size bones and different amounts of muscles and the BMI chart is just a general guideline and not the bible.

Because you are working out, you'll be in regular clothes before you know it. It's such on wonderful NSV to shop on the other side of the aisle!!

DIARY
Quote:
...I have to force myself to eat dairy for the good health guidelines.
May be we can help you brainstorm ways to get in diary that would be more fun. I really like lattes, so at least one of my servings of milk everyday is mixed half and half with coffee. If you aren't a coffe person, Chai Tea is also lovely mixed half and half with milk.

1.5 oz of hard cheese counts as a serving. I don't care for FF cheese, but the cheese made from 2% milk taste just fine to me and it is yummy way to meet this requirment. My store carries several different varieties.

I seldom drink straight milk.

I'm sure other have great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54mama View Post
Name: Liv

My other goal is to not get trapped in the same rut I have before. I reached 158.2 back in August (which was roughly my pre-pregnancies weight) and just hit a wall, fell off the wagon, and went back up to 171. I'm close to that number again now and I just am not going to let it happen again.
Hi Liv!. :

I can relate to the mental barrier to a lower weight. I think I'm there right now. I'm at a weight that is very comfortable to me through not quite my goal weight, and keep falling off the wagon. I just keep getting back on the wagon, but I'm falling off enough to keep me from losing much weight.

If I were staying on the wagon all the time and still stuck, I think I would talk to my doctor about may be making this my goal weight (I'm 5' 2 1/2", weigh 140 and in great shape because I work out a lot) but I really want to stick with the plan. I don't think the reason that I'm stuck is because my body has truly found it's happy place, but because I have a block to weighing in the 130s.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#83 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Welcome Barbara and Liv! This is a wonderful group, I think you'll enjoy it! Barbara, I second what Linda said about the goal weight. I have always weighed heavier than what I look. So 140 looks different on me than on a lot of women my size. And try a latte for your dairy! Yum!
Liv-We have a lot in common! We both have 2 girls-how old are yours?-, we're both introverts, and our starting and goal weights are roughly the same. Welcome!

#84 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM

my goodness, you all move so fast, I can't keep up. We're getting chickens and we're trying to get plans together to make a coop and brooder along with planning our garden. I need to start checking in more...I find I stick with it better.

In any case, I had to share this because it really upset me. My mil was here yesterday for my husbands birthday. I had run errands earlier and found a kids furniture store, we're looking for a new bedroom suite for my son. I said something to my dh and then started talking to my 2 month old, saying her and her big sister can share a room (they are 15 mos apart) and they'll have bunk beds and if you want your own rooms when you get older, that's okay too (like she really knew what I was saying to her). So my mil says, well they should share a room, they'll be really close and they can share clothes. Or maybe that wont work, I think they'll have different body types. My one sister was fat too. : She then proceeds to say she's (mil) really skinny but my family is fat so is a toss up as to how my kids will be.

1. she's skinny because she doesn't eat. She eats one meal a day and after my fil died she lost what little fat she has on her. Her mother was really screwy with food issues too.

2. I'm pretty sure my my mom and at least one aunt all have pcos. My mil has seen me struggle with my weight while exercising and eating healthy before getting my diagnosis. And in the past 3 mos I've lost 50 lbs and she's said absolutely nothing.

I know nothing can change her or ability to not stick her foot in her mouth, she's prob the most judgmental person I know. But gosh, living this close to her now is not helping my weight loss journey.
#85 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Michelle, your MIL sounds like quite the prize there. :
You need a sarcastic sidekick to pipe in with things, "Oh, which kid do you think will be fat? This one? Or this one, moron?" Good grief.
But congrats on the chickens! That's next year's project for us, when DD can officially join 4-H. It's raised bed gardens for us this year.

Welcome newbies!

Tracy, how are you doing this morning?

Liv, I don't like group things either, for the most part. But I love WW meetings. Go figure.

How was your WI today, Lynn?

Christina, I LOVE America's Test Kitchen!! I have never had a bad recipe from there.

#86 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Wow this thread is moving fast!!!

I also have girls and really worry about projecting body/weight issues onto them. They are 6 and 3 and both very confident in their bodies and how they look. DD1 and I have had conversations about healthy food and exercise, and I emphasize that we exercise and eat healthy foods because it is good for our bodies (makes us healthy/strong etc) and not because we (well just me, dd is thin) need to lose weight. I do have my own body issues, but I really try to never say anything in front of the kids, and TRY to make positive comments about myself in front of them, even if it's just about my hair or something.

I almost never drink straight milk for my dairy either. I drink lattes, or put milk on cereal or oatmeal or eat yogurt and/or cheese. I never have a problem getting it all in though.

Thanks for the hummous recipe - I'll have to try it!

Michelle - Your mil is a prize. Serioulsy how can you even say something like that about a baby and a toddler! My FIL always made comments about dd1 as a baby, because she was seriously chunky! But she really slimmed down when she started walking, and he actually did comment that it was good she was thin now - she was 12 MONTHS old!

I worked out with my hrm this morning and ended up working harder than before doing the same workout, and burned 500 calories!!! It was definitely a good investment.
#87 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Wow, Michelle! Your MIL is a peach! Families can really have a way with words, huh? For me, the worst part may have been not just the crazy comments, but the lack of support when you lost weight! It's like, if weight is so important to her, shouldn't she be the first in line to encourage you when you lose weight?!
Yes, Jen, America's Test Kitchen rocks! DH gave me a giant book of theirs a few birthdays ago and I use it almost daily. You can tell it's good because of all the stained, crusty pages!

#88 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM

So, I WI today but by the way my pants are fitting I think I know what I will find. I was tossed up between maintenance and losing another 5lbs and I think I have lost that 5lbs while eating the points allowance for maintenance.

I have never counted nursing points since DD is 2yo and sometimes nurses only 3x a day, but I think I want to count them now. I am getting resentful about my food being so limited and I am starting to think it isn't because I'm a slacker about healthy eating, it's because I am actually not eating enough.
#89 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just did a 15 minute core workout with 4 kids. That was crazy insane. I want extra activity points for doing crunches and planks with a toddler sitting on me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#90 of 662 Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Nina, WW gives you 5 extra points if you are nursing a child who also eats food and/or formula. Try that!

Annette, I was just wondering if I can have extra points for being annoyed by my kids today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page