March Dingos - In Like a Lion!! (The Running Thread) - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Hi veryerin! Our little ones are the exact same age! I'm also training for my first marathon, the San Francisco Marathon in the end of July. We've got a small pile of dingos going to that one, though I think only Poppywise and I haven't' ever run a full mary before. Glad you've joined us!
I didn't notice that! My little guy is 3 days younger.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi there!!!!

I have checked in on FB but was just waiting to skim here and do a real rr.

Lisa, so sorry to hear about your friend. That is awful...but wonderful of you to sit with her and share your faith. Without getting too much into my theology....I'll just say I think that it counts for a lot, and you never know what is in people's hearts or minds, esp at the end of their lives.

HBM....YES. Esp during our "unpleasantness" a few months ago. But ITA with kerc that it is outweighed by the things that we DO share. And also I think that part of that is what friends are for. but sorry, that isn't fun.

OKAY....here it is, the RR!

I got to the race pretty early...travel and parking were SO easy and well organized. The race is smaller so that was nice. I got to wait inside a HEATED convention center, use a REAL toilet, and hang out until the race started. I knew a couple people doing the race but didn't see any of them.

When the race started it went uphill first, and I was feeling really sick all of a sudden, like I had to barf (notice a theme in my races lately). I really thought I was going to, and then my stomach settled down some, and then I'd feel yucky again. I had some water and that helped, but it really didn't settle down until about mile 4-5. The race was nice for the first few miles, a few hills but then by the river (windy!), back on to a major street, and then into a neighborhood where I had run some in college. It had rolling hills, some gentle, some not, and that took me to about mile 6-7. My stomach settled down with a Blok...I walked to eat it and had some water (my slowest mile, 10:43).

Then I started up the HILL. BIG hill. MAJOR hill. This guy at the water stop said, "You're coming up on Arrowhead...if you are, you'll soon be dead..." REAL funny dude. So I climbed arrowhead, and then in front of me was this hill so big I started laughing. Just smiling away. I started to climb it and I realized after looking at the street sign that it was this hill that we used to drive over in college to make the car "fly." it was legendary.

finally got up those hills and back on to the road for a bit. Then turned and headed down on to a greenway that threads through the downtown/university area. It was AWESOME. So pretty, so much fun, rolling little hills and mud here and there, I passed a lot of people and sped up on that part. I think it was four miles of greenway, not sure though.

Then I came out of that, back up another giant hill and turned the corner (downhill!) to the finish. I started feeling a little bit sick again so even though there was only a mile, I ate part of a blok and felt better. I ran down and into the stadium, and crossed the 50 yard line. DD saw me, but no one else from my family bc they herded us out into a tunnel right after the finish. finally caught up with my family and the kids were very cute and proud and cold, and then went for some breakfast at Panera.

So all in all it was fun, hard, a cool course, and in my hometown. I will definitely do the half again, although not the full, unless I go crazy.

ETA: my final time (I think) will be 2:13, one minute slower than my half in Nov on a much tougher course.

Take care mamas, must do some work : but wanted to rr for ya!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM

mamabeth~whoo hooo! way to go on rockin' your race!!!!! also, thanks for your input, you are right I need to turn it over to G*d, it is His area after all.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM

I had a nice little run while the kids were at art today. I missed you though HBM!

I'm going to go to the gym later and see if I can join their masters swim class, cause I sure need some guidance. I can swim, but I know I suck!

MB... WTG! and yay for the perseverance through the stomach upset!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM

veryerin - Welcome! I'm training for The San Francisco Marathon in July, which will be my first.

mamabeth - way to rock those hills! :

rr: 8.1 slow miles. Now that I'm actually following a real training plan instead of just pulling junk out of my @ss, I've realized that I've been running my fast runs too slow, and my slow runs too fast. Worked on slowing down today and it was hard - my form really sucked.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
veryerin - Welcome! I'm training for The San Francisco Marathon in July, which will be my first.
I didn't know SF would be your first! Alas if only that translated into being a slowbie back-of-the-packer like me!

Just in from 5. Note to self: Don't run with glasses in the rain

MB!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM

nice race report mamabeth.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

ST - forgot to comment on the bike thing. The Santa Cruz are nice, but has he looked into 29" mountain bikes at all?

Mamabeth - wow, those sound like major hills. great job!

just back from an hour on the trainer indoors. i brought my bike today, but instead of 50's and sunny as forecasted, it was 36 and grey and i was not property equipped. Well, i had 90% of the things that would make it bearable but i just didn't feel like getting cold. As I got to the gym there was a lady heading out for a real bike ride and i felt bad to be going inside, but whatever. i got the workout in.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the welcomes!

Plady - thats cool you have a little one with the same birthday! And mommajb with a little one so close as well!

I didn't run today. I ran 6.5 yesterday, today off, and I'm not sure how far tomorrow. I am looking at a couple training plans and trying to mesh them.

Anyone have a beginners marathon training plan they really like? I wavering between one that includes cross training and fartlek days, and one that only include running.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
ST - forgot to comment on the bike thing. The Santa Cruz are nice, but has he looked into 29" mountain bikes at all?
I think he has a 29" already He has a Salsa Cyclocross bike that I think is 29.... and a BMX bike, and a single speed, and something else.... this will be his 4th or 5th. He had a Bontrager mtn. bike years ago (pre Trek take-over) that became mine when he got the Cyclocross, but he misses having a straight mtn bike, so now that he has time to ride again, he wants to get back to it..... but now with all the biking talk, Im starting to covet a road bike (I ride the mtn bike with slick tires)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM

nice rr MB

I'm going to check out my gym's run club this Sat at 7am. It's free for members, and my new friend, speedy-fast-ballerina-mom, loves teh trainer who runs it. So I'm going to check it out.

MBelle, if sugarloaf doesn;t have masters classes (I don;t think JC does), check out swim atlanta. when I looked into it, SA was cheaper (and they are better IMO). Wanna meet me at Mountain Brook on 4/26 for an indoor tri? I think I'm going to do that one too

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM

veryerin~ and welcome! I have used and liked Hal Higdon's training plans, and I know others here have as well. Of course, I've only done half-marys but I think at least one person here used his plan for a full. He has novice, intermediate, and advanced plans on his site. www.halhigdon.com

mamabeth~Great rr! You rocked it...2:13 with lots of hills is awesome!

Not too much excitement going on here today. DS had music class this morning, which I realized at the end of class was the first class of the new session (which I hadn't registered for yet) rather than the last class of the old one. We had a make-up class to use anyway, but I felt a little bad. Guess I need to get on the ball and get registered.

I'm making my first attempt ever at homemade granola right now. I just got tired of paying so much for the storebought, even though I love it, and figured it can't be THAT hard. Of course, I couldn't find a recipe that I liked or that called for what I wanted to put in, so I had to kind of wing it. I'm getting adventurous in my old age, I used to be a VERY strict recipe follower. In just the past month, I've just kind of made up stuff for enchiladas, potato soup, and now granola. Crazy!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Nice RR, mamabeth!

I'm feeling exhausted and overworked, and a little stressed about ds's birthday party which is the day after I get back from a conference for which the paper is mostly done and I have sixty exams to grade... wah!

My half turns out to have hills (which I didn't bother to check out) and I'm freaking out. (It's flat here.) I did hill repeats on my treadmill today which - was a good workout but not as satisfying as a longer run. Maybe I can work in a short hill run once a week before my 9am class.

Today, at work, I participated in the theft of a colleague's shoe, and the composition of a ransom note for said shoe. I do not know why this makes me laugh so hard. We're just going to wait for him to figure it out. (It wasn't a shoe currently in play, but a new one from a recently delivered package. A shoe he was wearing would be a wierd thing to steal.) (I'm an adult, I swear.)

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM

hello people of the dingo thread....anyone want to email me a photo of their kid running (side view please)....?:

:

muchas gracias!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM

penelope - for you...:

flatten those hills!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
hello people of the dingo thread....anyone want to email me a photo of their kid running (side view please)....?
I put three different ones (best I could do) on my flickr page

Just back from a last minute, late season XC ski with my friend Carol. So fun. Little blizzard here today cancelled school :, I got in a bonus ski for the season and a little chatting with a good friend.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks Jo for the words, it's nice sometimes just to be heard.

Another 5 in the jogger today - ds was asleep within moments and I was just left alone with the road.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Wow MB, WTG!! Yah, Knoxville has some killer hills!

Alert!
I just wanted to pop in to complain to someone before bed. I had to miss my lovely afternoon run today because I got a "small" job from my favorite client. Well, that turned out to be the nightmare job from hell, and I just finished it an hour late at 10pm. My first ever, officially late job. I usually plan in plenty of *cushion* so that I won't have to stress out at the last minute. I just despise this situation, because it was a little job (only a few $) but major stress (so I was mean to my little ds who wanted/needed to sit on my lap and my dd2 who has a long day on Tuesdays and I like to snuggle with her at bedtime to make up for it). Not to mention that dh is now irritated (he didn't say it, but I can tell!). And the icing on the cake is that I was so rushed and stressed that I'm sure the quality wasn't up to what I would like it to be. ARG all around.

But I am getting up at 6 am to run 3 miles with my new RP. So it's all good in the end.

G'night everybody! Thanks for letting me vent!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 AM

MB--yay! Congrats on your time and thanks for sharing the rr.

poppy--here's DD from last summer: runnergirl

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Mel, that's one thing about WAH that can seriously su-uck. I tend to do that when I get "little rush" things in when I am at home. : To the letter. I hope the client was ok with the lateness. I am sure you were capable of explaining that it might not have been as small as it seemed.

Yesterday's run was decent. I am feeling a little better, but still overwhelmed. To the point that I am sweaty (and smelly!) all the time from the stress. Trying to work it out on the TM so I am not so eeww at work. I have back-to-back meetings scheduled all day (including over lunch), every day this week, and I have to do the "productive" stuff when I get home (which is now because I am too tired at night). So I just emailed some stuff off, and I am going to recommend that we change from hard copy to technology for our other meeting, just to waste less and take some of the pressure off me.

I have also spoken some with our IT mgr about our available WAH technologies. They have EVERYTHING, already in-house, to make it so I could reasonably do it. Easily. With instant, face-to-face access to supervisors and coworkers. It just makes me : that the trust isn't there. We're looking at piloting something...

OK. Should really put a couple miles on before the day gets ahead of me.

Psst. Someone start a new thread. Please?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM

User Tag List