March Dingos - In Like a Lion!! (The Running Thread) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those interested I'm working on a "post" about girls and bullying.... I should be able to finish it later tonight. It's a bit overkill, so I'll just email it to those interested. It's just it's something I feel so strongly about and have done research, as well as just in my everyday work have formed some thoughts...
#62 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
For those interested I'm working on a "post" about girls and bullying.... I should be able to finish it later tonight. It's a bit overkill, so I'll just email it to those interested. It's just it's something I feel so strongly about and have done research, as well as just in my everyday work have formed some thoughts...
me, gigicva at yahoo.com

Rage: I also found that taking extra iron during AF helped, as I was less tired feeling.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#63 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Gigi-what iron supplement do you take?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#64 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hey....would you mind putting it in the school aged forum ? I think its an important topic, one I'd like to spend some time thinking about and talking about with others. (and then link it here so we can head over there, of course).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#65 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Hey....would you mind putting it in the school aged forum ? I think its an important topic, one I'd like to spend some time thinking about and talking about with others. (and then link it here so we can head over there, of course).
Please.

And Gigi had some wonderful comments for me when I was asking about this last fall.

One Hundred Dresses. Check.

RR: I ended up running with a guy at the conference this morning. 2.25 miles at 8:53 pace. I wanted to go a lot further, but I had nothing left. It's thrilling to know I can do that, though.
#66 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Yes! Please post it, I'm sure we're not the only group of mamas who'd be interested.

Back from 5 with the stroller. I learned that that stroller is really heavy and I should probably look for slightly less hilly routes when I need to take it. Both going up and going down I had to walk. But, at least it's done.

Last night was night #2 of me trying to night wean Alison. The first night was hard. She cried harder than I've ever seen her for almost an hour . But last night she only cried in a sort of whiny fakey way on and off for about 15 minutes. : that tonight she won't even wake up. I was just getting really mad about having to be awake in the night nipping and listening to dh snore, ykwim so I was inspired by my RP telling me how she used some book to help with her ds2's nighttime routine. If this works it may be enough but I might start the proceedings to move her into her own bed too, I think dh and I could use a little more privacy. I know lots of smug cosleepers will give you a wink and tell you you can work around kids in bed but dh and I just generally don't.

Shanti - How did it go with that mom? How great to have the bullying actually captured on tape you know? As much as it sucks it is priceless to have the evidence.

Geo - What a pace!

Poppy - How are the shin splints? Have you tried some epsom salts baths too? I love that stuff, I swear it works wonders.

SS - The reveal is set for the week of March 15. That's okay with me but I'm a little bummed because I think my second package has gotten lost in transit I hope my person isn't feeling unloved!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#67 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The mom spent a good part of this morning crying in my living room. I don't know how much will change on that end, but I have a better sense of the dynamics of both this one girl and the classroom dynamics so I am going to focus on supporting dd in dealing with it all. I am glad spring break is right around the corner and her best friend will be up for a visit for a few days.

I am so frustrated with the school and I need to decide how I want to handle that. Allowing this stuff to continue with no attempts to address the behaviour makes me :
#68 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM

BBM ~ I'd love to read if you email it jenniesmith at gmail dot com

Still reading along. My forward motion included a day out with my mom, sister, and Valentine yesterday and I came home pretty sore from walking around the stores. Today I've lounged and nursed and even cleaned around the house some. Tomorrow my MIL is coming over after work to do a list of chores for me. How nice is that?! Our families sure have been great to us.

for everyone

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#69 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Paige, the iron that I take is just the cheap (probably chemically filled, LOL) Natures Made from Target. I bought it quickly , and I only take it 5 days a month.

My bully advice, that I've told my dd's is this: You can not control what other people say or do, but you can control how you react and how it makes you feel. no one can "make" you sad. If someone says something that hurts you but is not true, then in your brain you need to tell yourself that "it's not true", and since it's not true there is no point in being sad about it. Move on and find new frineds, and it will be their loss b/c they will miss out on what a great girl that you are. Somethign like that, right?

BBM, was the mom embarassed crying, sad for her dd (or your dd?), or does she have her own issues???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#70 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Just back from the MRI, that was very draining.... My hip feels so strange from the steroid injection and contrast dye, and my head is still pounding from the jackhammer noise of the MRI, and I'm totally stiff from laying down so long I didn't have to go all the way in, but my head was almost all in, so thank goodness I am not claustrophobic

I get the results on Friday afternoon :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#71 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM

my results are tomorrow...

I fear that my second package might have been lost in transit too Can we all acknowledge when we receive, if we arent already, just so we know

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#72 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM

oh crud-I think I'm one of the ones that forgot to post her package arriving. : I got a wonderful one with lots of goodies and especially bamboo socks! Oh, the shame...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#73 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM

exercise to report. an hour workout on the indoor bike plus about 25 minutes of lifting weights. planning on 1.5 hours indoors tomorrow. it's freaking cold here. single digits. come on now, it's March. Can't we have some warmer days now?

had to leave work early because ds had a fever.
#74 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Yes, warmer days are welcomed here, too...

Completed my 3 miles plus a little on the bridge today. There was a bitter cold wind, and I forgot my gloves!: At least I had a hat on my head, and I got it done, although the first mile was not pretty. I had to walk twice just to get my heartrate down a bit. Still, the second and third miles were great! Oh, I lost my little nike+ sneaker sensor right up there on the bridge - it just slipped off the velcro thing on my laces, and thank goodness I didn't see it sail over the side! I'm not exactly acrophobic, but I do get a little dizzy when I see something go over. When my littlest was a wee babe, he threw a rattler toy through the railing and I almost barfed just watching it get smaller and smaller and smaller ...

On the plus side, now I have a reason to buy a garmin!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#75 of 831 Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Phew. I am WAY WAY WAY behind. I skimmed through a bit, but am not up for personals quite yet. Sorry

I had a really wonderful two days. We had great ski conditions both days, and I met some really fantastic women. Topped off with a phenomenal dinner last night. We had 16 (yes SIXTEEN) courses! Finished off with the most amazing chocolate banana bread pudding. :

My legs are completely and totally shot after racing and two days of skiing. Holy moly. I took today off but I have track in the AM. I am probably going to completely die after not going to track for a month AND having dead legs.

DS and I had a nice day at the zoo. The weather here is just ridiculous right now. 70 and sunny. In March!!! Then we got to go back to the pediatrician this afternoon since DS was hacking up a storm (actually coughed so hard he puked in the ped's office, lovely ) and found out that his ear infection never fully resolved, so now we're on round 2 of antibiotics. Sigh...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#76 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Bec, Sparkletruck - I couldn't find email addy's for you... I emailed what I wrote to Kerc, Geo, Shantimama, Plady and Jennie. If there are others that are interested let me know. Like I said in my email, I feel a little silly taking a couple hours to write my thoughts and feelings out in this way and honestly, it’s still not as clear as I’d like. (Especially given my training, you'd think I could come up with something much better!) I’d love to talk more, but didn’t feel comfortable posting it as a thread, perhaps after some feedback, I will.
#77 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM

shanti - I hope the bullying issue is addressed to your satisfaction. How exciting that your surgery is so soon! I wish I could have some of the extra. It's just going in the trash anyway, right?

plady - good luck with nightweaning.

poppy - re: shin splints. I got rid of mine (mild case) by stretching/foam rolling constantly throughout the day. I even set a timer to remind me.

jenlove - how great that your MIL is coming over to help out! And it's also great that you're letting her. Sometimes it's so hard to let go and let people help.

mel - that sucks that you lost your Nike thingamajig. I must say, that I'm kind of jealous that you have to go to a bridge to find a hill. I wish I lived in the flat lands.

Gaye - What a fun trip you had! I can't even imagine enough things to fill 16 courses! Sounds delish.

RR: 16 miles - a distance PR! I'm not sure if I can include it on my resume, though, because I had to walk most of the hills at the end. I feel like I cheated. I stopped the Garmin while I walked, so I really did run 16, but still.
#78 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 AM

Cornflake, you SO did not cheat!

Yeah, 16 courses. We basically had every dish on the menu from the starters and salads, three seafood courses, two meat courses, and three desserts! We were sharing plates, which is why we were able to have so many, but still. And there would have been more, too, but one of us (NOT me was about ready to pass out from exhaustion and called it quits. Heck, we might still be there eating if not for that!

For my SS...here is DS, helping me bake last week in his new apron. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#79 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM

BBM - can you PM or email me? my dd is 5 and the drama has already started

FOUND MY DINGO T-SHIRT! :

thanks for the shin splint advice...i've been icing and foam rolling. here's hoping! i missed my run today but am going to the track tomorrow, rain or shine

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#80 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 AM

BBM, I would love to read what you wrote as well. My email is clsmiller at yahoo.com. (or it is also on the yahoo group as well as facebook )

No running since last week. Had a rough couple of days, emotionally and didn't do much of anything. I might be inclined to go tomorrow, but I am not sure if my schedule will allow for it.
#81 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 AM

bec--nice job on the tempo run!

Plady--we've never tried to crosstrain if DD is in our bed (which she always is). The thought gives me the shivers. Good luck with the night weaning.

Callie--hope you get good results.

tjsmama--glad you had a great couple of days skiing.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run tonight thought I'd like to. Yesterday I had a faculty meeting and took the opportunity to wear something that looked professional with a pair of brown shoes that I've worn a couple of times. Well, they gave me a couple of small blisters despite the small amount of time I spent in them. : But, I really wanted to walk on the TM last night and when I realized that my running shoes were going to rub against the heel blisters, I thought no problem, I'll walk barefoot. (Yes, I think there was a conversation about this on the thread a few months earlier. Too bad I didn't remember it). So now I have a blister on one of my toes and my heels are both sore and some other parts of my foot. Bleh. They feel better now than they did this morning, but I'm thinking I ought to give it another night.

I did get into my garden today and started breaking up the soil with a pitchfork. I planted a bunch of stuff in early March last year so I'd like to do that again. Before I could finish DD said she'd like to go for a run in the stroller. I was so excited. : And before I had the pitchfork back in the shed she was bringing out her bike helmet and saying she wanted to bike to the park instead. We compromised by walking because I didn't feel like pushing her tricycle when we go up hills, but I would have rather finished in the garden. Tomorrow we'll get a lot more done.

Now I'm wondering what, if anything, I can bribe her with to get in the stroller for a run tomorrow. I'm wondering if the book that came in the mail today will do it (I told her it was a surprise for later), or if she'll want money too.

Yes, I am that desperate to run outside in the beautiful weather tomorrow instead of on the treadmill tomorrow night.

ETA: I need suggestions for some brown shoes that look professional but are super comfortable and won't give me blisters if I walk from the the bus station down to campus. Flats or maybe 1" heels would be fine. They'll probably be worn mostly with pants. Bonus points if I can wear thin socks with them.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#82 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM

I ran 4 yesterday. : Up drinking coffee for a run today too. Did I mention how hungry I get when I run? OMG!

bbm, cjophillip AT yahoo

Ds was affected by some bullying behavior when he first started school. It had to do with his being drawn to the older kids (the Ks were just so jumpy for him), and then he was the smallest, shyest kid, a direct target for big kids looking to control someone else. I talked a lot like Gigi said. He's pretty good now, but still. He's SO polite and empathetic, and that chip is just not activated in a lot of the kids who bully. He's all right, though, for now. Dd, for her part, announced that her best friends at daycare...are all teachers. She didn't say it this way, she named them by name...and the only kid she considers her friend is her cousin. There are just so many "behaviors." I actually walked in one one little girl threatening dd physically. Scared the $h!t out of her as I interrupted her with, "Are you talking to my dd like that?!" She has to get the script from somewhere. Her mother doesn't make eye contact.

I got a note from a mom of one of ds's friends, offering to discuss summer childcare if I am interested. I am considering putting together yet another proposal for more flexible hours + some work-from-home...I know I said June, but dang, I'm a little freaked. If ds and dd went to a friend's house a couple days a week (let's say 2.5), how would I feel about that? I need to talk this out with friends. Ds will be 8, dd is 5. This would be a quieter, though less structured situation than dc. Which is not bad. It's summer vaca, right?

But I really want to be home.

Dh also said this week that it looks like he will have some international work travel ahead. To his country of origin. If I weren't working, maybe we could go, too. That would begin in fall, maybe.

Did I miss a memo? Is there a major life transition when both kids start school?

OK. Time to make myself hungry.
#83 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Did I miss a memo? Is there a major life transition when both kids start school?
I hope so, otherwise Ive been living for a dream

OK, Im seriously considering coming out to the Bay Area at the time of the SF Mary. We are way overdue for a visit to the g-parents, and I may be able to get myself fit enough for a 3 miler, which is hopefully all the runners could do after the mary, and how can I pass up meeting 4 in one?!

BBM - jdelio31 at hotmail. Thanks

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#84 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM

babybugmama, I pm'd you my email address.

plady, best wished for night weaning. My dh is not in the mood for more fussing at night even if it is the route to les fussing. Linus will nurse to sleep during the night but at the start of both nap and night we have to walk him in the stroller for miles. It wasn't so bad in better weather but we are seriously wearing out our flooring and weary of pacing the family room.

Gaye, I 'm glad you got a couple of good days in. You deserve them.

Jo, there sure is a major transition or two or three. Despite the fact that only one of mine is in school 3 are school age and I am feeling it bad.

cornflake, that's some running.

moonshine, I hope the next few days are easier for you.

4 miles yesterday that only felt so-so. 4 more tomorrow then a 10K this weekend. I am not feeling good. All big, heavy and bloated so I am being extra careful about what I eat and I hope to feel better soon. My brain isn't fully in gear. I am trying to do some personals and I think thoughts when I read but nothing wants to come out my fingers lately.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#85 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM

poppy I can pm you, but if you want email could you pm me or something? Right now I sent out two batches (If I missed your name let me know). Like I said before I'm afraid it's atrociously written and before I put myself out there just wanted to see what people thought. Yay! on finding the dingo shirt!!

Did we have any more thoughts to a shirt for the indi mini runners to wear race day? It'd be kinda cool to have matching shirts...Is there something we want? There's always the possibility of getting technical shirts and just doing iron on transfer too...

Plady I hope it goes well...I know night nursing was always sooo very hard for me.

I need to do 4 miles today...wish me luck. Ds slept late (if I can't complain about him waking up early I seem to complain if he sleeps late but much less so) which means naptime may not happen. I'm wondering if I can keep him occupado long enough for me to bust it out.
#86 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

But I really want to be home.

Dh also said this week that it looks like he will have some international work travel ahead. To his country of origin. If I weren't working, maybe we could go, too. That would begin in fall, maybe.

I think I'm going through the same issues here. Not the both kids in school bit, but yesterday I had strong "I want to be home wiht my kids" vibes and today I'm back to thinking working. And this weekend I was all about working as well. Oh well, I guess I HAVE to work now anyhow so it isn't really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run tonight thought I'd like to. Yesterday I had a faculty meeting and took the opportunity to wear something that looked professional with a pair of brown shoes that I've worn a couple of times. Well, they gave me a couple of small blisters despite the small amount of time I spent in them. : But, I really wanted to walk on the TM last night and when I realized that my running shoes were going to rub against the heel blisters, I thought no problem, I'll walk barefoot. (Yes, I think there was a conversation about this on the thread a few months earlier. Too bad I didn't remember it). So now I have a blister on one of my toes and my heels are both sore and some other parts of my foot. Bleh. They feel better now than they did this morning, but I'm thinking I ought to give it another night.
That's what you get for dressing up.:P

Suggestions on shoes: anything by clarks (they are not just your moms shoes anymore) and dansko works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
OK, Im seriously considering coming out to the Bay Area at the time of the SF Mary. ..... and how can I pass up meeting 4 in one?!
I'm not hooked up with grandparents in the area but I'm considering it as well.

ok on that working thing now. No forward motion to report. Seriously PMS here, complete with crappy bloated stomach. Ick. I think I might ski this afternoon, unless I take dd2 for a little hike, in which case I ski tonight. All plans are off if dd1 is sick like we think she is (refusing food but showing no other signs).

#87 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
OK, Im seriously considering coming out to the Bay Area at the time of the SF Mary. We are way overdue for a visit to the g-parents, and I may be able to get myself fit enough for a 3 miler, which is hopefully all the runners could do after the mary, and how can I pass up meeting 4 in one?!
Quote:

I'm not hooked up with grandparents in the area but I'm considering it as well.
yes! come to SF! :

SF Mary, starring....

crebrun (reb)
jooj
cornflake girl
poppy
naughty dingo
plady

i mean, c'mon.....it's a dingo summit!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#88 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Do it, girls. Do SFO.

My TM wonked out on me again. I ran 2. At least I ran something. :
#89 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's what you get for dressing up.:P

The sad part was that it was barely dressy. It just wasn't my usual oversized T-shirt (or turtleneck) and whatever pants are still clean ensemble. :

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#90 of 831 Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
yes! come to SF! :

SF Mary, starring....

crebrun (reb)
jooj
cornflake girl
poppy
naughty dingo
plady

i mean, c'mon.....it's a dingo summit!
yeah next thing you know you'll need to rent out moscone

Just kidding. I'm working through it all in my brain though....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page