March Dingos - In Like a Lion!! (The Running Thread) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just popping in quickly before heading out to the gym.

I read the bullying article and just loved it! Thank you so much for writing and sending it to me! Definitely food for thought.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#122 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
Haven't been around much because I'm depressed about my knee and not being able to run. I got new shoes, tried to run Monday, made it 1 mile before the pain set it and the pain hasn't gone away since. I've been icing, taking ibuprofen and doing exercises and stretching for it. Rode the bike for 40 min yesterday but at a really easy level.
What could that be? Have you seen a doctor yet? With all the talk about knee issues, I wasn't sure if you already had an idea as to the cause. It doesn't seem like the shoes, though. What a drag.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#123 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM

I think it's probably my ITB. I've been foam rolling a lot and have a lot of pain there. I also have back problems on the same side so that may contribute. Haven't been to the doctor yet because I just switched insurance and haven't even had my first visit with my new primary (not til May 7th) so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I may call my ortho or PT if it doesn't feel better soon but I think I just need rest, so my 10K next month is out. I just spent 20 minutes searching for later summer races so I have a goal again but we'll see.
#124 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Subbing, so I remember that it's now March and the old thread is done. =)
yeah! I totally missed that, and if I hadn't clicked on "new posts" I would have stayed lost for a few more days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Tomorrow my MIL is coming over after work to do a list of chores for me. How nice is that?! Our families sure have been great to us.

for everyone
wow! Totally jealous!!! I cleaned my house top to bottom with a 3 week old, only for our guests not to show. (though I was not recovering from a c/s) I would have loved it if someone had done some chores for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Did I miss a memo? Is there a major life transition when both kids start school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
I hope so, otherwise Ive been living for a dream
ugh, : of course I may be home schooling my oldest next year, so there goes that 'time to get stuff done' time huh? Oh well. I will figure out another way to work in my goals.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#125 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Real - ah, seeds + springtime, I can't wait. : I love buying seeds. What kinds did you get? We gave out packs of sunflower seeds for Val. day and have about 10 packs left over.
I already had some lettuce (a mix) and tomato seeds (brandywine, roma, yellow pear, beefsteak) so we picked up romaine and black-seeded Simpson lettuce, red winter kale, baby carrots, red onions, black beauty zucchini, eggplant, parsley, cilantro, and some perennial flowers (blue flax, penstemon, maybe larkspur and one other). I've started the tomato and eggplant seeds and one set of onions along with the parsley, cilantro and flowers. I'm hoping to try some of the lettuce, other onions and carrots in the ground in the next couple of weeks. I'm not going to plant more than a foot or so in the ground because I'm sure it will snow sometime in March, but if I plant little bits at a time hopefully I'll get a staggered harvest. Apparently all my lettuce/onions/carrots/sweet peas were in the ground by March 29 last year and they all did fine.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#126 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM

ash~definitely sounds like it's time for the ortho and some PT. Bummer. I hope you get it figured out soon!!!

rr~stroller + tired legs + stiff wind = a very sloooooow 4.5 miles. But, it's done! I was going to try to run in the morning, but based on how my legs are feeling, I think I'm going to skip it and save up for the 8 I need to run this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a bike ride or spin class or some swimming in somewhere in there.

STBX finally showed me the court paperwork last night. We have to schedule a case conference in a few weeks I guess. And go to a co-parenting class. He wants to come over this afternoon to talk about financial stuff to try and save time (money) when we go back to mediation. Yeah, that'll be fun. Yuck.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#127 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

It's been forever since I posted on here but then again I haven't been running outside here in the frozen tundra, not since my last race on Thanksgiving. Yikes! I ran for the first time outside today and it felt awesome! To kick my butt in gear again, I signed up for a nice little 5k. I can't wait to go get my new running shoes this weekend.
I did get a treadmill for Christmas and have been training on that. I thought for the first month that it was great but now for the first time in all of my running I am have trouble with my right knee. I can feel I don't run the same as when I am outside. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to correct that problem or if that is just what running on the treadmill is. My stride is definitely shorter on the treadmill. The max seems to be 7mi and then I really start to have trouble. I hate it because it puts me out of commission for ANY kind of exercise for at least a couple of days and that is so unacceptable. Any suggestions?

Oh and congratulations on your little one JenLove!:
#128 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Yippy Rene! You're back!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#129 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM

My dd is back in ballet, at the hilly park where I walk/run. I told you guys there was another mom who runs there too, and is speedy. Well she goes to my gym, and her dd and my dd have become frineds. So today, we dropped the girls off, and started out on teh trail together. I told her that I didn't want to slow her down, but she said "I'm walking today b/c I'm doing my 1st mary on sat". So we walked and talked for 45 minutes!

She's doing this race in June, http://www.muddybuddy.com/ .. it's bike, run, obstacle course, and roll in the mud ... all with 1 partner/friend. anyone????? ETA, never mind, it's $150 to enter and I don;t have that $$$

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#130 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Ugh. I planned to run outside with work RP today and suddenly dh showed up at work for me to go pick up my car from the shop. : But at least my car is done. I want SO BADLY to run long tomorrow, but I am home with dd. She wants to go for a run, but won't do much more than a mile. Need a solution.

Also need to clear the schedule. How soon is June?
#131 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM

No RR to report today . The weather conspired against me this morning. I had a perfect plan for a tightly scheduled morning including my 5 miler but then it started raining and sleeting and I couldn't do that to Alison but by the time we got home and she conked out it was too late to go alone or on the DM, Wah.

But here's a totally unrelated story for y'all. Our dog spends her days huting rodents in the meadow around the house. She eats a lot of them because she rarely touches the kibble I put out for her. The other day I got her some turkey backs as a special treat (she used to only eat chicken heads in Mexico). I saw her take the turkey, bury it yesterday, she guarded overnight and just now I saw her dig it up, roll on it and now she's eating it. And I think brining my turkey sounds like a hassle!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#132 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM

4 easy miles this morning. This whole week is supposed to be short easy runs but I have the training race Saturday. I wore my hind pe skort for the first time and I love it. It doesn't fit small enough for it to have any compression but it was long enough to cover and I was able to see that I have added quite a bit of leg muscle this winter. for that.

I feel lame on the personal front but I send : that all the missed runs are found soon.

I am following the bullying discussion and appreciate it very much. I only hope that I laid a strong foundation with Alice (and my other girls) and that she can cope with what will come her way. When we enrolled her in ps we were warned about the 5th graders being mean. There does seem to be more than an average number of trouble makers and quite a bit of trouble in the 5th grade classrooms. I am watching how the school handles it as closely as I can. I wonder if the current 4th graders wouldn't seem similar next year?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#133 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM

Feeling better, still behind on personals , still under a mountain of work, and no run. Tomorrow...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#134 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Joining the thread! Hello!

I just posting all this stuff in my own thread before finding this!

I posted about training for a half-marathon- I am not sure if it will work out for me to actually run this race, but my hubby is running it with Team in Training (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's charity team). I'm so proud of him, and though I can't attend the team workouts with him (someone has to watch our kids!), I'm trying to keep up so I can enter with him.
But the problem is time! Mileage is so time consuming, and I'm still in the 4-6 mile stage of training. I hope to run 8 miles this weekend, but it will probably take me an hour and a half!!!
It's frustrating to constantly have to wait for dh to get home (which never works on weekdays) or beg my mom.
Anyone use a jogging stroller? My youngest is 2 1/2, then my middle is 5...I'm wondering if they wouldn't just fight the whole time in the stroller. My oldest can ride his bike.

Ok, thanks for letting me ramble- sorry to hijack! I'll be following along from now on!
#135 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM

i just have a few minutes to report some activity.

rode the bike inside for 1.5 hours yesterday. a spin class made up one hour of that effort. it was annoying. spin class is just not for me. read my analysis on my blog if you're interested.

was supposed to do another 1.5 hours today, but meetings were scheduled and i only had time for an hour. so i made it a good one.

now i'm heading out to meet a friend for a drink. i'm tired and would probably prefer to stay home, her too most likely. but we need to make it happen.

i cooked some bulgar for dinner that was pretty old and a little gnarly. now i feel like i should have thrown it away. i definitely should not have eaten it. blech.
#136 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM

welcome cdmaze.

On the jogger - some but not much. My recently turned 6 yo would ride a bike to keep up last summer. She is my middle child. I could jog with one of the little ones but it will slow me down a bit, when I put them both in I just walked.

Good luck!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#137 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM

cdmaze. Welcome!

I have to use my jogger most of the time or go to the Y for the dreadmill (which I despise). DS is almost 3, and is pretty content in there most of the time. I was consistently doing 6-8 with him last summer, and even did 10 once. I'm still working mileage back up from knee surgery right now, but I did 4.5 this morning, and he was totally happy. I have a Chariot (bike trailer/jogger combo) which is totally enclosed, so I can load him up with snacks, drinks, books, and toys!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#138 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Welcome cdmaze - I pushed dd and ds together when they were 5 and 1. Now that she's 6 she can ride her bike. But the most I can get out of her is 5 miles. I wonder if you could split it up where she rode her bike part of the time and then finished up in the stroller?

Could you get up earlier and do it before dh goes to work? At night after home? Do you have access to a treadmill?

I'm sick. blech. The runny nose from hell.
#139 of 831 Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Hey y'all, it's your long lost crazy dingo. we are finally reaching some semblance of "normal" although this weekend is busy too, but it was TOTALLY worth it to be on the set and be an extra in our movie. I will say that unless it is my personal movie again I would not want that job...cold and exhausting, mostly. But again, WORTH IT.

RR: I am now on the fence about a full marathon in three weeks. Blah. i haven't run since Monday, and I cannot visualize doing 20 miles on Saturday. I'm not ruling it out, but I am seriously considering the half vs the full to do a good race in Kville and not waste the training.

take care mamas, I am reading along! I would like to read the bully article at some point, could you email it to me? bethbirk at g mail.
#140 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 AM

cdmaze--I used to run all of my runs with DD in the stroller and she was fine with it until she turned 3. She always had snacks along, and as she's gotten older she wants to bring books (or yesterday, art supplies...and then proceeded to draw despite the wind). Since she's been 3 though she'd usually rather be doing something else. Now we only go after she bargains for time at the park or if we (literally) run an errand that she wants to do (like running to the garden store for seeds, which we did yesterday). I'm already trying to scheme to get her in the stroller tomorrow.

Do you have a nearby gym or rec center that offers daycare while you exercise? You could then get your runs in on the treadmill (or an indoor track if they have one) with them in daycare.

We ended up getting a treadmill so when all else fails, I run on it after she's in bed. I have a friend who gets up really early to run before her DH leaves for work.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#141 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 AM

cdmaze - welcome!

rr: 6.5 long miles on super sore legs. Somehow, my Ipod got stuck playing the same 2 songs over and over. Thankfully, it didn't take me too long to think to switch it over to shuffle, which fixed the problem.
#142 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM

'mornin' mamas!

It's balmy outside, in the high 40's. I'm thinking that if I can get all ready for shabbos early after work, I can get in a run outside.

I've done my tae bo circuit workout twice this week and been watching what I eat and guess what...down 2 lbs.! :

Nothing like success to motivate a person.

Just sent a really cool package to my secret sprinter.

Wish me luck, my parents are coming for the weekend. I've had to run around the house and remove all the paperwork/scheduling reminders about stuff for moving to israel because my mom is so overwrought about the whole thing that I'm afraid she'll just pitch it in a fit of pique. :

Snow is melting....maybe springtime is on the way? Tuesday is Purim...day of much joy and celebration. My kids' costumes are all ready and the hamantaschen (special cookies) are baked, gift packages ready to go. Will post pics!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#143 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Hey dingos!

I thought I would post and say hi. I try to keep up with you all, but you are too fast for me! All these posts!

plady, I wanted to say that with ds2 I starting asking him to hold my hand at night instead of nurse, and often he would do that. He was really just checking in and needed comfort. With ds1, I would let him hold onto my hair (I was tandeming and would be nursing ds2 on the other side). It helps just to offer some comfort.

cdmaze, sometimes a track is good because you see them all the time. If you have one that is pretty quiet with no one else there. I am able to let my kiddos ride their bikes or run or whatever while I do some quarter mile repeats.

There is so much snow here! I have been on the tm all week. I plan to get out today for ten that includes some speedwork. I just got a cute Nike running skirt yesterday in anticipation for some warmer weather!!!!
#144 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM

: Nick, you're sounding so much more positive this AM. Must be the work of Purim along with the 2 lbs. WTG!

cdmaze, I used to run with my 2 in the convertible stroller/trailer thing, and they'd put up with ~5mi, then sometimes we'd stop at a park and give them a play break, and then go a couple more but those last couple would be pretty awful. It all ended when ds got to kindergarten. We also bought a TM, and I often get up early to use it. I am not a PM person, so it's a struggle for me to do much after work besides my chores.

My advice (which I sometimes actually follow) is to get the kids on board for your shorter runs, and save the LR for when you have childcare.

I'm bummed about missing another run yesterday. : I want to run long today, and doggone-it, I am going to. Even though it's going to be in the mid-40s :, it looks like I am going to have to do my miles on the TM. And I am so mad at the stoopid TM/outlet problem that I am ready to hit circuit breakers every mile if I have to. I am SO fed up!

I am also fed up with living in a construction zone and never having real down time...I told dh that if we were in just a teeny bit better financial situation, I'd quit today. Not to test him, and no, I am not on the fence anymore. I just want a couple more months of earnings to put us in a stronger situation. His response was tell me go ahead and quit today.

So I think my focus at work over the next 2-3 months will be to make sure all my work, files and client info are in sweet order so that it's neat and nice for the person who has to do this stuff when I go.
I'm tired of trying to make lemonade there. I hung out with a friend who may have freelance opps for me in the future too, so I need to let go of the control/fear thing and just embrace possibility.

So. Definitely a run today, a run tomorrow, and maybe even a run Sunday. Next week looks cold again...but spring will come to WI.
#145 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Jojo's got the flu. Her main symptoms are fever and whining. OMG-I am going crazy. She is seriously whining every.waking.minute. : I am out of compassion and really need some exercise. Dh is in the middle of a huge project and isn't getting home in time for me to run and of course I can't take her to the Y nursery. ARGH!

Gigi-that race looks so fun.

Rene-I was so excited to see you that forgot to address your concern. I don't really know why, but I definitely run a lot different on the treadmill. I avoid them at all costs. I guess that's easier to do in GA, though.

Nic-could you forgive my ignorance and explain Purim? I am learning so much from you.

MBeth-I saw some pics of you on FB. Y'all look great! What an experience. If you don't do 20 tomorrow, you're still welcome to come to zumba!

BBM-Hope you feel better soon. Its sucks to be a sick mama.

Mandy-Hope you had fun last night!

cdmaze- Glad to have ya! I run with a 2 1/2 year old in the jogger sometimes. 5-6 miles is my absolute limit, though. She is getting heavy! It works for weekday runs, but I couldn't do it for my long runs.

Penelope- You will run again!

Jo-did you figure out a way to get a run in?

Mommajb-I'm with you on hoping I laid a good foundation. I feel really confident that I did with dd2, but I have my doubts about dd1. There is a girl at school with whom she has a lot of conflict, but I'm not sure it's bullying. I think it's more that this girl and dd are very socially immature, though from being around her, she's really not very nice. My poor dd keeps getting grouped with her though and it's driving her crazy. They are in the same Brownie troop and got stuck in the same cabin for their trip this weekend. I'm so hoping they do OK. :

I'm off to watch Dora in hopes of 22 minutes of no whining...

#146 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Jojo's got the flu. Her main symptoms are fever and whining. OMG-I am going crazy. She is seriously whining every.waking.minute.
We've got the same symptoms going with Elliot. I checked his ears already -- not infected, but also not looking normal. Argh.

I had 3 hours of sleep after getting back from AZ, and then last night we tag teamed on Sir Whiney. I need a run, but I also need sleep!

Alright, piles of work await.
#147 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM

we have fever, whining and phlemy cough. and freezing rain. this means i'm home again, but don't have my computer and i have a huge amount of work to do. oh well. it'll work out.
#148 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM

to Geo and Mandy and your ds's. This stinks. Jojo's got the cough, too. It's horrible and keeping us up all night. I hope they all feel better really soon!

#149 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM

I've been sick too. I thought it was just pms, but it turns out I had a cold brewing too. I feel better today.

HBM...I do plan to come to Zumba tomorrow. I need to run 3 miles too!

How do y'all talk to your dh without them getting defensive? I have honestly read and tried so many different approaches. We get along great and I love him very much. I believe that it's totally normal for issues to come up in life, and we can't avoid them, so why not try and resolve them? I'm frustrated.
#150 of 831 Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM

can someone please remind me of that homeopathic remedy for hemorrhoids y'all were discussing a while back?: i need something and it may be surgery if i don't find a better solution first.

we're headed to tahoe this weekend to go snowboarding, very excited! it's been years and my dh is beyond thrilled. we got the kids all geared up so this should be interesting! here's hoping i don't injure myself...

ETA: if anyone was considering the nike women's marathon in SF in october, random drawing registration is open now and will close on march 18th.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page