How fast is too fast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is 5 lbs in a week safe? i have lost that much with my new coconut oil regimen and while i'm delighted, i thought i was supposed to shoot for 1 or 2 lbs. what are the risks of losing that much in a week?
#2 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Are you still breastfeeding? Because in that case the worry is that too rapid weight loss can release too many toxins from your fat into your bloodstream and it goes into your breastmilk.

I'm doing the coconut thing myself and seem to be losing about 3 lbs a week. My LO's 15 months and I wasn't really worried about the quality of my milk (she eats everything under the sun and seemed to be cutting back on her nursing a bit.) but we had the stomach flu last week and now DD won't eat much at all, she just nurses.
#3 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Losing more than 2 lbs a week makes it much more likely that you'll lose muscle mass, not just fat.

Most of us will lose some muscle mass as we lose, so our goal is to minimize the muscle loss.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what coconut regimen are you doing? Thanks.
Lindsey
#5 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If this is your first week on a new regimen, I don't think 5-pound weight loss is anything to be alarmed about -- sometimes our bodies react with a big drop in the beginning. After that initial drop, though, I'd be looking for 1-2 pound/week loss.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am still nursing (ds is only 9 months old).

I didn't know about the toxin thing - I haven't really done a planned weight loss of any kind before, so I'm in the dark on that.

limabean, that probably makes sense. I think I have lost of lot of belly fat and bloating. This can't possibly work this well for long

Linda, is muscle loss a risk with coconut oil as well?

Lindsey, I am taking a few tbsp of coconut oil a day and eating saturated fats etc. There's not a lot of 'rules' to it - i started slow with a tsp or two of CO, and went up from there.
#7 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~MamaJava~*~ View Post
Is 5 lbs in a week safe? i have lost that much with my new coconut oil regimen and while i'm delighted, i thought i was supposed to shoot for 1 or 2 lbs. what are the risks of losing that much in a week?

wow really? Gosh I want some of that action ! Do you have a link for that coconut oil diet? That isn't all you eat I hope, gosh I love food I couldn't just eat coconut.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#8 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

no i am eating everything i normally eat - not really any junk, but the same meats/veggies/whole grains/dairy whatever. google 'eat fat, lose fat'
#9 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Losing more than 2 lbs a week makes it much more likely that you'll lose muscle mass, not just fat.

Most of us will lose some muscle mass as we lose, so our goal is to minimize the muscle loss.
Good advice.If you loss more than that amount you will loss a lot of muscle and it also isn't safe.
#10 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM

At the beginning of any weight loss program I think it is very normal to lose a lot of weight. When things get stabilized the weight per week will be around 2 pounds. As far as staying healthy and not losing muscle, I'd look at the book Eat Fat to Lose Fat. It is a coconut oil regimen diet that is also very much able to be adjusted to a diet for life. It is Traditional Foods based. It has been a real help to me to get off the dangerous rollercoaster of fad diets and those that are just made to promote big corporations and their products.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#11 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM

We are doign teh Eat Fat, Lose Fat regimins...and loving them!

Mrs B

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page