Run with the fools! Dingos unite!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: JO - you were such an awesome SS

I had no idea it was you, but afterwards, I was like, oh I should have guessed - you being a writer and all those wonderful notes you sent!! The RR and aromatherapy stuff comes at just the right time!!! And I'm super excited about the soap nuts!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Serial posting to say - YAY : I am an aunt!!!

My SIL had her baby yesterday! It was a c-section, 3 weeks early because the baby was getting huge - he was 11 pounds, 22 inches at delivery

So excited for them

Also...
Gaye -
Jenlove - hope you feel better soon! :

#123 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM

omg, that is a gigantic baby for three weeks early!
#124 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 PM

JenLove~no money, just giving. I'll try to get it out to you this week.

Cali~yay, congrats!! Wow that is a huge baby!! My 4 week early was 6.3lbs.
#125 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

RR: oops, forgot my running. I skipped out on the race this morning because the only reason I signed up was to run with dingos, and when they both couldn't do it, I didn't have any desire. I did run 8 miles outside though, and it was nice. Lots of mind games though.
#126 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM

this may be a dumb question, but how do you find out the % grade of a hill?
#127 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Rm, I have wondered that! You mean for training purposes? not sure.

gigi, how was run club? We missed you last night but I think the dh's have some agreement about watching the world cup soon?

jenlove, I turned my kiddos around at a little over a year. both are tall and were touching the seat with their legs. but I know a lot of people who can keep their kids turned around longer than that, and I would have. The only thing is that it makes the car ride more bearable! hope your mastitis clears up soon, no fun. if you feel it coming back, GET INTO THE HOT HOT HOT SHOWER and try to get the milk plug out ASAP. can head it off at the pass sometimes. just advice I wish someone had told me sooner!

congrats callie! that IS huge. I can't imagine; i was horribly uncomfortable with my 10 lb 9oz'er at 42 weeks! yowza.

I am about to head out for a run...it's a gorgeous day, I went to the pub with some dingoes and dingo dh's last night, fun times, and now I need to run off the sluggish feeling of a bit too many carbs from beers and other stuff. also the kids had an easter egg hunt TOO early this morning! I think i'm shooting for 5 miles, and then will do a LR next week. take care mamas.
#128 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM

JenLove--typically until 20 lbs AND at least 1 year old.

Our ped gave us the ok to turn DD at a year old even though she was 14 lbs because he figured it would take her a long time to get to 20 lbs. She was content with being rf then, so we kept her there until she was 2-1/2. I think she was 20 lbs by then, give or take, and by then it just made our regular trips to the mountains easier. At 4, she's still in the convertible though I think she's finally outgrowing it (shoulders are just even with the highest strap setting now).

Callie--congrats! And wow! I can't imagine. DD, at 39w3d, was 4 lbs 9 oz. I'm always astounded by the big ones.

bbm--ugh. I hope your 13 goes well.

The snow seems to be less than predicted so hopefully the trail won't be too bad. Our streets are clear, with just snow on the grass. Hopefully it stays that way.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#129 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM

The run club was nice. There were like 20 people there, and the personal trainer who heads it up just asked how many miles you want to do and at what pace. then she hands you a laminated card with directions for that mileage, and pairs you up with someone/people runing the same pace. I was with abother slow runner who was doing 3 miles... she's a mom of 3 who did teh SF mary 3 years ago and wants to do it again in Oct. She's a Galloway fan, so we did take a lot of walk breaks, but she was really good about running again after a short walk break (once I start walking, I forget or have a hard time runnign again). I probably could have done it without as much walking, but it was nice to chat, etc. We bonded and talked about having BMI's over 30 and inner thigh chafe :grin:

I think I will try to meet them most Saturdays. it was good energy, free, and the time flew by. very fun. MBelle, want to meet up sometimes? or if Suga does it too, I'll meet there sometimes too.

I missed you gals alot last night. I was really in the mood for gathering with frineds ;-( . Please keep inviting me :grin:

I feel bonk-ie now. I ate a banana after my run (about 40 min of exercise- 550 cal burned), but I usually fuel w/salt/juice at 30 min 300 calories. I wonder how I can increase my level without needing simple sugar. I mean, I *need* to burn calories, not replace them as soon as I burn them. I ate some cereal, a biscuit w/ cheese+salt when I got home, and then I grabbed a coffee at Sbucks. I feel a litle better, but there is something really weird going on with me when I run. TFR

Callie congrats on the big baby!
JenLove, lots of rest. fluids and nursing. was it from a plugged duct? if so, takign lecethin can help you avoid them in teh future.

DrJen, have a great weeeknd w/ your dh

we're heading to Athens for my neice's 1yo party.. but I'm taking the girls alone since dh had a motorcycle thing at Road ATlanta planned for today. We're heading to dh's grandmother's for 3 days in teh am.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#130 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 02:44 PM

RM - i think mapmyrun or gmap-pedometer will tell you % if you find it on their map. you might need to click 'show elevation' first

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#131 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM

callie - wow, what a big baby! Usually when they say they need to do a c-sec because the baby is getting too big, it ends up being not so big. They sure were right this time!

jenlove - feel better!

bbm - good luck on your run today - though you're probably done by now.

real & Gaye - Good luck tomorrow! Run fast, like this : ! I didn't know they even held races in snow like that. : You ladies are hardcore!

I didn't sleep well last night, either, and feel like today. Ugh.

On a positive note, things are sprouting in my garden! : That's usually half the battle, so I'm really excited. Now just to keep the snails/slugs away. :
#132 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
bec

I got 10 miles in today, because the weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow! It was very nice to run outside. It was high forties, low fifties while I was running, so perfect weather!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#133 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM

bec, I have been outside for the same reasons. But I didn't do any running. It is possible that I may in the future resort to running laps of the pasture. But there's a lot of standing water today. So I picked up garbage all over the yard and pasture (and ditch--cigarettes and mt dew cans , walked the dairy goats (they heel almost like a pair of dogs) with me, put mr. Picante out for the first time this season, and even hung a couple towels on the line.

Leaving in about an hour to pick up dh.

Probably going to do a LR on the TM tomorrow. Next weekend, going long outside. Fo sho.
#134 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 05:21 PM

I just did an almost 2m run outside. Felt intermittently hard to good. At points it was so windy I was worried my ear buds would blow out of my ears. I also "ran" errands and stopped at the library on the way home. I did get some books for DD, but they didn't have the book on hold like the email notice I got said they would. :
#135 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Callie ~ Congrats! That is a BIG baby!!!

Got my 2 miles in:
#136 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Ran 7. Woot.
#137 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM

callie~ That is one ridiculously large baby! Congratulations!

runningmommy~I was going to say mapmyrun, too. If you map out a route and know where in the route the hill is, you can get a pretty good idea by checking the show elevation box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
does anyone have any ideas for easter/spring type crafts to do with DS? I feel bad because i don't really get into holidays and decorate or anything and feeling like i need to do something.
We went to "Breakfast with Bunny" at the Y this morning and they had a couple of cool crafts. One was just spreading peanut butter on a pinecone on a string and then rolling in birdseed to make a birdfeeder. For another one, they cut up colorful straws into 1" pieces, and then the kids strung them like beads to make a necklace. They also had some construction paper flowers they could put on their necklaces. DS loved it, but I know he's a lot younger than your DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Car seats and rear facing ~ How long are they *supposed* to be rear facing? I've been wondering that for awhile. My niece is forward and I think she's too young, but who am I to say ya know? I'm all about keeping them rear facing as long as possible.
The absolute minimum by law is 1 year AND 20 pounds. That said, it's safest to keep them rear-facing to the limits of the seat, which for most convertibles is either 33 or 35 pounds, as long as their head is still below the top of the seat. DS is almost 3, about 31 pounds, and still rfing. Their legs will run out of room, which looks uncomfortable to adults BUT kids are flexible and will find a position that they're comfortable in. DS has never once complained about being uncomfortable in his seat. He slept overnight in it on our drive to/from Ohio over Christmas, in fact. The AAP just had a press release that they recommend keeping kids rfing until at least 2, since new studies have shown that kids are 75% safer rfing than ffing. Here's a great article with lots of info about rear-facing. There's a good video that I posted on my Facebook last night, too, if you want to check it out. And just one last little tidbit...kids in Sweden typically stay rearfacing until 4 or 5 and their injury and death rates are significantly lower than here in the U.S. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. In case you hadn't guessed, I feel pretty passionately about the subject!

So yeah, the "blizzard" they were predicting was a big ol' bust. It did snow some, but not more than an inch or so, and it didn't stick on the pavement at all. The racecourse should be clear! The wind is absolutely brutal right now, though. I'm really hoping it dies down overnight or it's going to be miserable. I don't mind the cold (and it will be, predicted high tomorrow is 36) but please, please no wind!!!

I got to have a major panic attack last night when I just randomly (I have no idea why) decided to check my flights for next week before heading to bed. THEY WEREN'T THERE. I don't know what happened. STBX reserved the flights (award tickets), checked that they were ok, and then booked it. But for some reason, the miles were never deducted from his account and it never actually got booked. Can you imagine if I hadn't checked my flights and had just shown up at the airport on Wednesday, only to realize I didn't have tickets?! Luckily, he was able to rebook me, but the flights I was on were going to cost more miles, so he ended up finding a different set of flights which actually work a little better. Phew!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#138 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just c&p from dailymile:

Amazing! I did a five mile loop with ds in the jogger and picked up our milk. Dropped milk at home and when I was about to head back out, ds freaked, and I mean freaked! He wanted to come. I was surprised but said okay. Did an 8 mile loop with cows, horses,etc. I could've bailed at several points to drop him home if need be, but he rocked! I was soooo impressed! And two backhoe's, one tractor, a bobcat, a wagon and hay loader later...I'm done! Knee aches and hip aches on left side, thoughts anyone?

Nice catch Gaye! That would've been awful!

So indi-mini mommas - anyone interested in having dinner together friday night before the race? I would be willing to provide a pasta dinner if people would bring some sides.

Nice runs everybody!!
#139 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Did the rare Facebook flyby, saw Poppy's "crazy bitch" quiz result. Too funny! Had to take it. Apparently I am one fierce bitch y'all!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#140 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 PM

I am just looking at the pics of my new nephew Colin and it is like looking at my DD when she was ~2 weeks old They would have thought it was a miscalculation in EDD, except for they were IVF... I guess it runs in the family, DH and his brother - twins - were both 7 pounds at birth!

awesome run BBM!

...going to look at facebook :

#141 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Apparently, Jess, Poppy and I would be a dangerous combination! Facebook indicates that I am one wild bitch

#142 of 1016 Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
hollysmom

This past week has been a long, hard one and I have been really down and struggling with too many things. I hate it when everything feels and goes wrong all at once.

The sweet spot in the week has been helping ds with a school project. They have been asked to write their own autobiography (grade 7) and ds asked me to make him a slideshow of his life. My goodness, that boy is a sweetie and he has been since day one. My heart melts every time I look at a new picture of him, whether he was one month old and all scrumptious or twelve years old with big stinky feet and is as tall as I am.

Lots of stretching and walking here, but nothing else at this point. I miss running!
#143 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 AM

, shanti.

gigi~This blog entry just happened to pop up on my google reader today: How to dye Easter eggs naturally.

I ate way too much dinner in the name of carb loading (pasta with vodka cream sauce and am about to go fix myself a nice pre-bedtime drink in the hopes that maybe I won't have to take drugs to sleep tonight. I am determined to be in bed by 11 at the latest (really early for me!).

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#144 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM

have you tried magnesium? there is a brand called "Natural Calm", but you can get a generic for cheaper.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#145 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM

This is how well Im doing this weekend, apparently: yesterday the first thing out of dd1's mouth upon waking was "YAY! Daddy's coming home ... ................... tomorrow"

:

#146 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 AM

BBM, where again are you camping, is it the east side of Indy? I was thinking of having everyone to my house for pasta, etc. (I"m about 15 minutes south of where the Indy Mini is run) or to make reservations downtown close to where everyone is staying hotel wise.

What is easiest for the majority? BBM's, downtown, 15 min south? I'm happy to drive to anything since I live here and everyone has already travelled to get here.
#147 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Good morning mamas!

Did 4.1 miles this morning! : In the oh-so-speedy time of 47:21. Heh.

But it felt great, like one of those Legendary Runs (as in, I could go on forever and become a Legend like Forrest Gump )

Taking ds to the barbershop now for a pre-Pesach haircut. He insists on wearing his firehat. I hope it comes off before the clippers come out.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#148 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM

BBM ~ Sounds like a really good run

Shanti

We are off to a farm just north of here today for an Easter egg hunt. dd1 went last year with friend of ours because I was still hanging out with my newborn. To look at her now that is unbelieveable. She is running, fighting with her sisters etc. Anyway, this year we are meeting those same friends to do the hunt...should be fun.

Have a great day everyone!
#149 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM

: : :
Really not wanting to go run 13.1 miles right now.

: : :

#150 of 1016 Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Apparently, Jess, Poppy and I would be a dangerous combination! Facebook indicates that I am one wild bitch

go gaye! ::

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page