Run with the fools! Dingos unite!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
April showers bring May flowers - run with the fools!

From DrJen:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 AM

:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

:

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

: LOVE edit II. subbing, no post-half run yet bc my quad is STILL sore. it's getting better so I don't think I tore anything, but jeez! Thanks, hills. Oh and I had read that hill running article in RW and it's true. Instead of running my usual trail for my last LR (which is flat), I ran hills for 12 miles and it helped SO much. (and plus it is nearly the awesomest feeling in the world to PASS people on hills. Right katemom? although I do it at a 9:30 pace and she does it at a LIGHTNING SPEED pace...)

having a hard time getting motivated to do anything, not running makes me feel sluggy.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM

went to the dermotologist this morning and he removed three areas. Pray for good news! supposed to do five, but one spot is on my back and think it would rub on my sports bra. It's covered with bandage and lidocaine right now though.

HBM~what did you do when you had the spots removed? I can't remember.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Subbing
It's snowing, our goose is sitting on eggs ( a broody goose?), white rabbits before breakfast!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM

:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

So behind around here, but subbing.

It's snowing here toda too, Plady. Ugh! What a joke from the April Fool's God huh? :P

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

HBM~what did you do when you had the spots removed? I can't remember.
They told me to keep them dry for 24 hours and since I sweat a LOT (and would need a shower), I skipped that day. After that, I just went back to normal. When I was 20, I had one removed from my back and it was very tender for quite a while. I remember being in a lot of pain in my yoga class at the time. I hope yours heals quickly.

Bah, I was going to run this morning, but it was raining and I would have had Jojo with me. I had a great zumba class though.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM

You might need to get a helmet for your next race...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 PM

A helmet? They actually had me for a second!

RM - Hoping good thoughts for your spots! When I had mine removed I couldn't shower for THREE days! I could hardly stand to be around myself.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
: That's a good one! Have you seen Google today? They have a new AI feature that looks totally cool. Just go to Google's homepage and click on the CADIE link.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 PM

That is awesome!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks to whoever suggested Hal Higdon. (Sorry I don't remember who, it was on the March thread). The novice 3 training plan is exactly what I'm looking for!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Anybody had Myofascial Release? Or Active Release? Both seem to be things Chiros do...

I was just reading around about my various ailments and found a YouTube series of vids by a Chiro (in Canada who basically described EXACTLY what I think is going on with my leg and how to treat it!! Now how do I find that person?! (and can dh get his signing bonus 3 mos early ?)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Jess, myofacial release falls in the massage category (as in, there are therapists who do it). Technically, I could do it, although I did not specialize in it. Essentially, you are moving very slowly over a large area in order to release the fascia. The concept being that you can work on releasing the muscles (or for that matter, the bones) all you want, but if the fascia is all verklempt, it will only pull everything back.

I did learn it in school, and would feel fine doing it, but there are continuing ed classes that further teach it. You might try googling for an LMT. (the AMTA does list therapists -- you could start there) Tom Myers is the big name in MFR. Not sure what you would find by googling him too.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM

sparkle - there was a PT group here in Berkeley I was looking at that have that mentioned on their website....maybe go the PT route if you can't find a chiro near you that offers it?

solpt link

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info about the spots I had removed. I hope that my back doesn't hurt to run as I have a race this weekend. Oh, well, we'll take it one day at a time.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Back from running 3 with DS and the dog. It probably should have been 4, but I was really lacking in motivation. So lacking that I'm kind of surprised that I got out and actually ran! I'm supposed to do 2 tomorrow, but a friend wants to run, so it'll probably be 3...that balances it out, right?

Glad you guys enjoyed the link! It had me going for a while, too. I'm pretty gullible! :

Ok, really need to get in the shower and go run a couple of errands...

Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 PM

:

st - I've heard of ART and it is supposed to be good, maybe that is something I'll crib from you and look into :

tjs - there is a great granola recipe on the dingos cook blog (i think) from Geo, she had a good one that was floating around here for a while!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Anybody had Myofascial Release? Or Active Release? Both seem to be things Chiros do...

I was just reading around about my various ailments and found a YouTube series of vids by a Chiro (in Canada who basically described EXACTLY what I think is going on with my leg and how to treat it!! Now how do I find that person?! (and can dh get his signing bonus 3 mos early ?)
I've had Active Release done and it works wonders. Helped when nothing else did on my hamstring; is also helpful on my chronic hip/back/glute problem. Hurts like crazy when it's being done, though.

Someone who has been trained in Active Release Technique should be able to help you--I would think most of them would be familiar with or at least receptive to your Canadian chiro YouTube info. You can find a trained provider here.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

I did learn it in school, and would feel fine doing it..
GREAT, because Dh is coming up to NY tomorrow for 4 days and Im coming with him. I took the kids out of school and I was going to show up at your house and surprise you! SURPRISE!

You dont have to take the girls out of school, at least tomorrow, but maybe Friday? We will be there around noon. Ill PM you

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM

just checking in!

Sheesh, I totally fell for the helmet thing

Mamabeth- awesome race! Loved reading your report.

I have 5 scheduled today I am totally dragging my heels on it. I just gotta get out there and do it.:
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Haven’t been around in a while. Miss you all. Running a bit, but not enough. I have set a goal to try and do some exercise everyday this month and hopefully the bulk of that will be running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

I had active release done by a Chiro (years ago) for a problem with I think my IT band and it was a huge help. I am in Canada, I wonder if it was the guy I went to
Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't face the wind today...

Anyone heard from Sally Z lately? I thought I had a blog link for her, but I don't see it, and come to think of it, I haven't seen an update from her in ages. Last she reported they were thinking of moving again, right? Any chance that came with a job change for her DH? Ug
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM

THAnk YOu Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!!!

I didnt read the cross-posts until now, as I was in a hurry to get out the door.

I have found several people in my area who do this, so Im going to call around. The thing that struck me about the Youtube guy () is that he described how pain X can lead to Pain Y because of X (and I just started with Pain Y), and then Pain Z, and so on (and I have pain Z now too). When I first expressed my puzzlement to my PT about how this could be happening when Im not even working out, she said "you just never know what will be the straw", and while thats true, I KNOW its all connected, but dont feel like she is addressing the connections, iykwim. From what Ive read about ART and MFR, they address the underlying connections between injuries. I have tightness in so many areas, and I know things are poulling on other things, but it seems that when I stretch I just pull something else, hence the cascade...... bla bla bla

BTW......

Moonshine - APRIL FOOLS Dh is coming for 4 days, nd I seriously considered it, but dont want to spend more time alone with my kids than I already have to :

Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 PM

: I'm so happy to finally be running again!!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM

hollysmom! :

I just want to throw this out there
If I don't get some space/time to myself in the next day or so I might flip my lid.

I'm not in charge of doing someone else's work at work.
I'm not in charge of putting my dd1 or my dh's laundry down the chute.
I can't control whether some idiot hits and runs on my dh's/our crappy car.
I can't seem to make my mathematical model of chemistry work.
I need some serious brain time.

Can I take Wendy's anniversary trip by myself?

Uh, yeah. I'm an introvert at heart. An extroverted introvert at that.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM

kerc, sorry mama....hope it helped to put it out there! :

This may be a dumb question...is MFR when they "massage" the problem area HARD, and all the way down the leg or arm? if so, yeah, it hurts like CRAZY when it's being done but helps a ton. I've had that done by my chiro a bunch. I know it's coming when he says, "This is gonna hurt." And then dh and I start whimpering.

User Tag List