Mothering Forum banner

Run with the fools! Dingos unite!!

24K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  babybugmama 
#1 ·
April showers bring May flowers - run with the fools!

From DrJen:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#4 ·
: LOVE edit II. subbing, no post-half run yet bc my quad is STILL sore. it's getting better so I don't think I tore anything, but jeez! Thanks, hills. Oh and I had read that hill running article in RW and it's true. Instead of running my usual trail for my last LR (which is flat), I ran hills for 12 miles and it helped SO much. (and plus it is nearly the awesomest feeling in the world to PASS people on hills. Right katemom?
although I do it at a 9:30 pace and she does it at a LIGHTNING SPEED pace...)

having a hard time getting motivated to do anything, not running makes me feel sluggy.

#5 ·
went to the dermotologist this morning and he removed three areas. Pray for good news! supposed to do five, but one spot is on my back and think it would rub on my sports bra. It's covered with bandage and lidocaine right now though.

HBM~what did you do when you had the spots removed? I can't remember.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

HBM~what did you do when you had the spots removed? I can't remember.
They told me to keep them dry for 24 hours and since I sweat a LOT (and would need a shower), I skipped that day. After that, I just went back to normal. When I was 20, I had one removed from my back and it was very tender for quite a while. I remember being in a lot of pain in my yoga class at the time. I hope yours heals quickly.

Bah, I was going to run this morning, but it was raining and I would have had Jojo with me.
I had a great zumba class though.

#16 ·
Anybody had Myofascial Release? Or Active Release? Both seem to be things Chiros do...

I was just reading around about my various ailments and found a YouTube series of vids by a Chiro (in Canada
who basically described EXACTLY what I think is going on with my leg and how to treat it!! Now how do I find that person?! (and can dh get his signing bonus 3 mos early
?)

#17 ·
Jess, myofacial release falls in the massage category (as in, there are therapists who do it). Technically, I could do it, although I did not specialize in it. Essentially, you are moving very slowly over a large area in order to release the fascia. The concept being that you can work on releasing the muscles (or for that matter, the bones) all you want, but if the fascia is all verklempt, it will only pull everything back.

I did learn it in school, and would feel fine doing it, but there are continuing ed classes that further teach it. You might try googling for an LMT. (the AMTA does list therapists -- you could start there) Tom Myers is the big name in MFR. Not sure what you would find by googling him too.

#20 ·
Back from running 3 with DS and the dog. It probably should have been 4, but I was really lacking in motivation. So lacking that I'm kind of surprised that I got out and actually ran! I'm supposed to do 2 tomorrow, but a friend wants to run, so it'll probably be 3...that balances it out, right?

Glad you guys enjoyed the link! It had me going for a while, too. I'm pretty gullible!
:

Ok, really need to get in the shower and go run a couple of errands...

#21 ·
:

st - I've heard of ART and it is supposed to be good, maybe that is something I'll crib from you and look into
:

tjs - there is a great granola recipe on the dingos cook blog (i think) from Geo, she had a good one that was floating around here for a while!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Anybody had Myofascial Release? Or Active Release? Both seem to be things Chiros do...

I was just reading around about my various ailments and found a YouTube series of vids by a Chiro (in Canada
who basically described EXACTLY what I think is going on with my leg and how to treat it!! Now how do I find that person?! (and can dh get his signing bonus 3 mos early
?)
I've had Active Release done and it works wonders. Helped when nothing else did on my hamstring; is also helpful on my chronic hip/back/glute problem. Hurts like crazy when it's being done, though.

Someone who has been trained in Active Release Technique should be able to help you--I would think most of them would be familiar with or at least receptive to your Canadian chiro YouTube info. You can find a trained provider here.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

I did learn it in school, and would feel fine doing it..
GREAT, because Dh is coming up to NY tomorrow for 4 days and Im coming with him. I took the kids out of school and I was going to show up at your house and surprise you! SURPRISE!

You dont have to take the girls out of school, at least tomorrow, but maybe Friday? We will be there around noon. Ill PM you

#25 ·
Hi everyone,

Haven't been around in a while. Miss you all. Running a bit, but not enough. I have set a goal to try and do some exercise everyday this month and hopefully the bulk of that will be running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

?)
I had active release done by a Chiro (years ago) for a problem with I think my IT band and it was a huge help. I am in Canada, I wonder if it was the guy I went to

#26 ·
I can't face the wind today...

Anyone heard from Sally Z lately? I thought I had a blog link for her, but I don't see it, and come to think of it, I haven't seen an update from her in ages. Last she reported they were thinking of moving again, right? Any chance that came with a job change for her DH? Ug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.