Fat Smash Diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have lost 7.2 lbs on Phase 1 (9 days) of the Fat Smash Diet : And I even cheated over the weekend when I went camping!

I love this diet. I can post the "rules" if anyone is interested. It is very simple. I have kicked my sugar addiction. I feel so much healthier and energetic.

(I know that seems like a lot of weight loss for 9 days, but I am sure a lot of it is water weight. I also tweaked it to include coconut oil, so I am getting a very well rounded diet. I feel fantastic!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM

yes! please post! i'm so addicted to sugar! i just ate 2 bagels with butter and cream cheese! oh no!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Please post the "rules".
Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. During phase 1, which is 9 days, you can have:
All fruit in any quantity
All veggies in any quantity except no white potatoes or avacados
Beans/tofu
up to 2 cups brown rice/day
2 cups low fat or skim milk or soy milk
water
Oatmeal- 1 cup per day
6 oz low fat yogurt- twice a day
4 egg whites/day
2 cups herbal tea

(no caffeine, meat, fish, bread, cheese, raisins, nuts, dried or preserved fruits,
juice, diet soda, etc.)

The new-edition concessions for phase 1 are:
1 cup freshly squeezed fruit or veg juice
1 1/2 slices low fat cheese or 1 veggie burger with no bread
sugar free gum
1 tsp low fat mayo
1 tbsp salt
1 pat/tsp butter
1 tbsp mustard or ketchup
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp of sugar substitute
Snacks:
10 cashews
1 low fat granola bar
10-14 almonds
1 jello smoothie snack
3 cups air popped popcorn, plain
7 saltine crackers/day
2 tbsp sunflower seeds

Eat 4-5 moderately sized meals/snacks a day. Excersize at least 30 minutes 5x a week.

Thats it!

(I still drank organic coffee btw, with part of my allotted milk and stevia).
Old 04-04-2009, 02:34 AM

I'm sorry, but this diet is ridiculous. If you lose that much weight so quickly yo are most likely going to gain it all back when you start eating " normal" again. The reason why you lost so much is because you aren't eating any foods! Are you actually going to count at 7 saltine crackers and 10 cashews and.... that seems so silly.

I don't mean to burst your bubble- I'm glad you got results.. I hope it continues to work for you!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I'm sorry, but this diet is ridiculous. If you lose that much weight so quickly yo are most likely going to gain it all back when you start eating " normal" again. The reason why you lost so much is because you aren't eating any foods! Are you actually going to count at 7 saltine crackers and 10 cashews and.... that seems so silly.

I don't mean to burst your bubble- I'm glad you got results.. I hope it continues to work for you!
Very supportive of the OP's weight loss.

It's like any diet. 7 saltine crackers = calories. 10 cashews = calories.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

The diet is only that restrictive for the first 9 days, then you add back in lean meat, cereal, etc.

I eat great. A big smoothie or oatmeal and fruit for breakfast; fruit for snacks; stir fry or beans for lunch; veggies, salad, baked sweet potato fries, split pea soup, lentils etc etc for dinner. I like it.

I havent had "7 saltine crackers" for a snack. But i'm sure it's better than half a bag of cheetos if you want a salty crunchy something.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:52 AM

you can have a healthy diet without meat- millions of people do it- they are called vegans. Oatmeal, beans, egg whites- all those things are good for you, fruits veggies, those are great too. I think it sounds like a sensible way to lose weight. Lots of alternate protein sources from yogurt and you are allowed milk and tofu too.
the only thing that wouldn't work for me is no cheese and no coffee - I love those two things.
Congrats with your weight loss, and i bet you are right that alot of it is water weight, i imagine you won't lose 7 lbs/week regularly, but its sounds like a healthy way to eat, and if you feel good and energetic- keep it up!

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Actually, I lost 25lbs in 6 weeks on the Eat to Live plan three years ago. It's as much fruits, raw veggies and beans as you want. Plus one serving of whole grains/day. I gained back 6lbs in the first two years, but since I became completely vegan a year ago, I hadn't gained a pound. I started E2L again last month and have lost 10lbs. If I continue to exercise and eat the proper amount of calories/day, why would I gain the weight back?

Oh, and congrats, OP! Sometimes you need that big kick-start to get you on the right track! Yay!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:

It's not ridiculous, I eat like that every day and am very well fed and healthy.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Congrats on your weightloss!
I did the Fatsmash a while back and lost 8lbs during the first phase. I then had troubles wanting to go into the second phase.lol
Then I ended up not wanting to eat meat anymore.lol
Those 8lbs are still thankfully gone.

Fatsmash also really helped with going to the bathroom for me and it's been like that since I first did it over 2yrs ago.

I think it's a great program and congrats again!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
For 9 days? That's not ridiculous for 9 days. The idea, I suspect, is to go cold turkey on all the little food cravings we get that have nothing to do with hunger and start appreciating smaller quantities as snacks. With the unlimited fruits/veggies it wouldn't be a starvation diet.

What I'm wondering is what happens on day 10?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Congrats!!!! Is this by Dr. Ian from Celebrity Fit Club or am i thinking of something else?

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4 View Post
Congrats!!!! Is this by Dr. Ian from Celebrity Fit Club or am i thinking of something else?
Yep. It's Dr. Ian.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Sounds great, I'm starting it tomorrow!!!!!
What about phase 2? Can you give me a little glimpse?

Kelly : mama to Austin and Isabella Wife to Rockin'Rollin'Rick :
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 PM

That sounds great, congrats on the weight loss! I will definitely have to look more into this plan, I have a serious sugar addiction. Thanks for sharing this!

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
Old 06-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Um...I am woman who eats this way most of the time and guess what? It's very manageable and I've maintained a healthy weight over the last 10 years. Even if I've gained 5 or 6 lbs that I prefer not to have on my body (eating too much "junk food" lately), I think this is a great diet to LIVE by.
I hope the OP is maintaining her weight loss and realizing that this is actually a good way to eat for life!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
What I'm wondering is what happens on day 10?
:

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Spontaneous combustion
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM

If you don't have a problem being veg, which I don't, this is a less restrictive diet than South Beach, Fat Flush, etc. You get to eat FRUIT, brown rice and yams. I'm checking it out.
I assume wine is not allowed? :
OK, I know I'm bad but I just visited the Fat Smash website...he is the hottest diet doc I've ever seen.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Ok. One more thing...I don't have to buy anything special for this. I already have 5 pounds of oatmeal, 10 pounds of pinto beans and 20 pounds of brown rice. This is a major advantage of this diet...it's cheap!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM

have you read Diet for a Small Planet (1972) or Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly (1993)?

i think the big questions are... can i lose weight at a rate that i will not gain it all back as quickly as i took it off, and can i eat this way for the rest of my life?

my mom was on weight watchers for over 2 years. she told me she learned a new way to eat. but when she went off of it, she gained back almost a 1/3 of the weight she lost pretty quickly.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
If you don't have a problem being veg, which I don't, this is a less restrictive diet than South Beach, Fat Flush, etc. You get to eat FRUIT, brown rice and yams. I'm checking it out.
I assume wine is not allowed? :
OK, I know I'm bad but I just visited the Fat Smash website...he is the hottest diet doc I've ever seen.
I agree : ) I also belong to the Eat to Live thread and there is MINIMAL rice allowed (if any, can't remember at the second).
Wine allowed or not, I have not denied myself the few ounces of wine on any good eating plan and still manage to lose weight so long as I'm eating predominantly fruits, veggies, some whole grain (not overboard) and high-fiber protein (beans and even nuts!). I've never restricted my avocado either.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Actually, if you add the normal foods back slowly and in a reasonable amount while still keeping up with your exercise, you will not gain all of the lost weight back.

If you go from this to 2000+ calories a day, with no adjustment period then yes, it will all come back quickly.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Is anyone else just starting this program? I started today and am excited!!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 AM

I haven't read this book, but I wondered what it was all about. There's a fat smash group on 3fatchicks.

jenmichelle99 - have you stuck the diet? Any success?

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM

I wish. I'd starve on this diet even if it's just for 9 days.. I can't do no meat, it makes me dizzy and shakey. I can't eat nuts (allergic), eggs and tofu make me puke.

I'd love to go vegetarian or vegan just because it's cheaper but it's just not possible for me.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
Is anyone else just starting this program? I started today and am excited!!
I'm planning on starting this from tomorrow...how are you doing with this? Did you lose weight?

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 AM

I want to do this but I'm still nursing, thoughts?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loni Renee View Post

I want to do this but I'm still nursing, thoughts?

Don't.

These types of diet produce rapid early results via water loss. The OP understands this, and for people who need to lose a lot of weight (30 + lbs or more) it does them no harm and may give them the encouragement they need to continue slowly changing their eating habits. 

But I would not recommend this for a nursing mother. Dehydration is bad for making milk and bad for mamas who are making milk. If you want to lose weight, I suggest you try calorie counting. You determine your baseline daily calories burned (and you would factor in the fact that you are nursing) then eat at a slight deficit (no more than 20%, less if you have less than 30 lbs to lose). You will lose weight, slowly and safely, and not jeopardize your milk production. The benefit of this method is that there are no forbidden foods, so you can choose healthy foods for nursing mums, like higher fat content stuff (avocados, coconut oil, full fat milk). You can very easily count and track calories with the available apps, etc today. I use MyFitnessPal but there are many other options out there as well.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List