Not eating enough? Help please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to lose weight for years but finally 2 weeks ago everything finally clicked. I stopped eating whatever was in front of me, candy, soda, the kid's leftovers, etc. I joined The Daily Plate and started exercising. My problem seems to be that I am not eating enough. I really only say that because the first week I lost 5 lbs and this week I lost 4 and because according to the daly plate, I'm not eating enough. The 5 I can understand - it was a dramatic difference from what I was eating and doing before but this week 4 lbs? I'm happy don't get me wrong but I want to do this right and keep the weight off. I want to lose 35-40 pounds. That will still put me in the heavier range for my weight/height (5'2") but it's a start. Please help!
Breakfast:
Kashi go lean with milk or oatmeal with syrup
whenever I get hungry again:
fat free yogurt with whatever fruit I have and granola
whenever I get hungry again:
salad with fat free dressing -sometimes with chicken or tuna
snacks:
carrots or celery
dinner:
whatever everyone else if having if I can control myself or a frozen meal like smart ones
evening snack:
If I'm hungry - a small bowl of cereal with milk

Exercise:
walk for about 2 miles in the morning and 30 shred in the evening.

What else can I eat? I'm really not hungry but using yesterday as an example, according to the daily plate my net calories was only 307. That can't be okay - can it?

Help, please!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
2xy

I'm sorry, but I'm not really on the up and up with diet lingo.

What do you mean by "net" calories? Is that the amount you've consumed that you haven't burned off directly through exercise?

What is the "30 shred" you do in the evening?

I am also 5'2", and the last time I looked at a calorie calculator, I was told that I should be consuming somewhere around 1200/day to maintain my ideal weight. That takes into account a moderate activity level (I waitress for a living but don't work out much....LOTS of walking at work), and age (I'm 38).

My only advice thus far is to increase your protein intake. Your sample diet seems very carb-heavy. If you're exercising, your body needs protein to maintain and build muscle. Your body will happily burn muscle rather than fat for energy, and it will if you don't eat enough protein.

Make sure you're eating nutritious greens in your salad and not something like iceberg lettuce, which is all fiber and hardly any vitamins. If you add some cheese, avocado, or nuts/seeds/edamame to your salads, you'll feel fuller longer and also be getting more protein.
#3 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 04:16 PM

More protein, and rather than a fat-free dressing, have an olive oil based dressing on your salad. What are your gross calories for the day? I'm the same height as well, and I maintain my weight at about 1800-2000 cal/day. You may be losing quickly now, but soon your body will start to conserve fat because it thinks it's starving. Try and get your gross calories over 1200 minimum.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#4 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Net meaning what I ate-what I burned during exercising=net. 30 day shred is an exercise DVD by Jillian Michaels. Daily Plate has me at just under 1400 calories/day to lose 2 lbs/week and then adds to that if I exercise so I 'can' eat closer to 1900 calories/day. I think the idea of adding protien to my diet is good. The salads I eat are spinach, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and whatever else I can throw in. I like the idea of putting some cheese in there. Thanks!

#5 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Definitely add some protein and fat! Real foods, woman! ;-)
I make homemade dressing with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar and it makes me very, very happy. A fave salad is whatever green and veg I have on hand, a boiled egg, a little good cheese and either leftover meat or chopped nuts with the dressing I make. Very satisfying and healthy.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#6 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do weight watchers and they have some 'good health' guidelines along with the calorie restrictions that are helpful:

you should get:
2-3 servings a day of calcium rich food (dairy)
5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables
2-3 teaspoons (TEASPOONS, NOT tablespoons) of healthy oils (canola, olive, etc.)
1 serving of lean protein (meat, beans)
1 serving of whole grains
exercise
6-8 glass of water
1 multivitamin

These are really helpful guidelines. It looks to me like you need a few more fruits in your diet, and maybe some more dairy, and definitely more protein.

the other thing to know is that you always lose much faster in the beginning. So, the first 2-3 weeks aren't a good guide to your ultimate pattern. I started off losing 3-4 lbs a week, and am down to about 2 now. (Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, especially during AF.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#7 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

LynnS6 - thank you for that list.

Bella Babe - how do you make that dressing?

#8 of 11 Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 AM

You need to be balancing your protein/fat intake at EVERY meal, snack or otherwise. If you like to eat carrots and celery, add a 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese.

If you have fat free dressing and lettuce and meat, then add a teaspoon of flax oil or olive oil.

You need to eat protein with a carb to keep you full longer. The protein helps a slower release to avoid the carb crash, or being hungry soon after.

It's not just your overall caloric intake. You will create a healthy metabolism by dividing those calories you need in to a healthy ratio of fat/protein/carbs, and evenly spacing them throughout the day.

Seems you are active. You might want to add in some weight lifting (you can do it at home with simple free weights). Building some lean muscle will aid your metabolism and help you burn more fat.
#9 of 11 Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 AM

You can get fancy dressing shakers (my mom is a sucker for stuff like that) but I just take a pint ball jar or whatever, toss in equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a little salt and pepper. Shake before using! It's also great with chopped herbs, garlic, etc, but I make it really basic and keep the jar on my counter to use every day. I can always add other stuff to my salad if I feel like it.

One word of advice. This is a fabulous dressing, and it's really the only one I use. I don't buy bottled dressing bc usually the ingredients are crap. But it is what you put into it! I buy the best extra virgin olive oil I can afford and decent balsamic. Real Salt or Baleines Salt is mineral rich and all I use as well. ;-) happy eating!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#10 of 11 Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

I personally wouldn't change much, I think it sounds good and that you will level off to 1-2 pounds a week in a week or two. Most people yo-yo diet all the time, so bodies hang onto the weight, but it sounds like you haven't done that and you are doing things right the first time!
#11 of 11 Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM

And make sure you're taking vitamin C multiple times a day to help your body deal with the toxins that are being mobilized by losing fat. Also, zinc helps improve your appetite.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page