Spring has sprung, summer is a comin'...are ya runnin? dingo fest May 09 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTG Indi racers!!!
#62 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Nic, GL! I always get nervous, it doesn't matter what for or how many times I do it.

I am so freakin' proud of all you Indy Mini runners!
#63 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM

Home. Not showered yet, but thought I'd check in first

I had an okay race, but the 2 days were overall wonderful. Balancin1 and I rode up together - I went to Chicago to get her and her dd, and they rode to Indy with us. Our dds were amazing travelers - the built in DVD player didn't hurt, that's for sure! We had some fits and starts getting going, then missed an exit and took a big detour to get back, and forgot about the time change, so we ended up arriving exactly when we said we would at the expo - but 2 hours after we actually thought we'd arrive! We had a great supper with bec and bbm and family, and Geo, then off to our hotel, where we tried to get situated and ready for bed.

Geo and I ended up getting up at 5:30, changing and eating and taking off. We found great parking and sat in the car where it was warmer for a while, then stood inside one of the hotels for a while after finding a bathroom. We'd planned to meet up with bec in corral S, but waited to long to walk too the start, and they were just dropping the ropes between corrals and having folks walk up, so we missed our corral and never found her. We ended up walking 23 minutes or so to the start - but we were chatting and it wasn't too bad. I ended up in quite the outfit - I was worried about it being colder than I'm used to running in (I am a serious weather wimp) so I bought the only tights at the expo - in a really bright purple. I wore my reddish purple (and completely unmatching) shorts over them, with my yellow dingo shirt. For good measure, I wore a white long sleeve cotton tee until about 4 miles in, then ran the rest with it tied around my waste. Add in the orange shoes, and I was quite the sight.

Wendy and I started together, and the first mile was about 10:30, and the second just under 10. She waved me on at this point, and I ran the third mile in 9:15 (!) I think due to too much adrenaline. I stayed under a 10 minute mile average (just) until about 8 miles. I'd been having some tummy upset issues this week, and my tummy started to feel sore again. I'm hoping that everyone around me was running fast enough to not notice any, uh, gas issues. I slowed down some, and drank some extra gatorade, and it slowly felt better. It was weird, because although I didn't feel my best, I didn't really feel bad, but I just didn't have it in me to push it today. Mile 9 and 11 were the slowest - including walking the water stops in those miles, they were each about 11:30 pace. The last 2 miles I felt a little better (and I knew I was almost done, of course!) and I was able to keep a better steady pace. The doc I consider to be my biggest mentor from residency lives in Indy now, and I'd called him earlier in the week and he wasn't sure if he'd be downtown (he was on call.) Shortly after mile 12 I suddenly heard him yelling my name and he ran out and did almost 1/2 a mile with me - so great to have company, especially since I wasn't expecting him.

The last mile seems really long - they have 3/4 mile to go, 1/2 mile to go, 1/4 mile to go, and the 13 mile signs and it seems to go on forever. Finally, I was under the finish line, though.

Final time, 2:15:25 according to the official results. Met 2 goals (finish, and beat my time on this course from 2 years ago - 2:18:59) but didn't hit my other goal of under 10 minute pace, and was 7 minutes slower than my fastest 1/2 mary last year. But, with the tummy stuff, and just feeling so out of gas, I was happy enough with it.

I ran into bec in the finishers' area, and we walked through together to the meetup area where we found her dh and girls, then most of the other dingos. I never got to meet mommajb (I got to the expo after her), which was sad.

After, we all went to Chili's (which were awfully nice to us - a group of 16 showing up with 7 kids 8 and under!)

We had a great time - any of you who haven't had the chance to have a live dingo meetup, take any chance you get! This is the nicest group of women anywhere, and it's so wonderful to put faces to names.

Balancin1 and I and the girls headed for home after (and thankfully she drove all the way to her house.) The girls were angels in the car again - really easy travelers, thankfully. My little girl was wiped - we were barely out of Chicago after dropping off the other 2, and she snored all the way home. At home, she put on jammies and brushed teeth and asked to go to bed, and she's asleep again. My dh and other kids are MIA (I'm guessing he took them to see the new X-men movie) so I'm going to shower and curl up with a book. I don't have to run tomorrow! And I need a new race to train for!
#64 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
bec

Balancin - I just loved that you came along for moral support! It was so amazing having so many of us in one place. I've tried to explain the dingos to people. But, really, how likely is it for a bunch of mothers get together who are also runners and also parent the way we do. It just boggles my mind, and I feel so blessed to have fallen in with such an amazing group. Ok, sappy post done!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#65 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Sounds like it was a great day! Great job, Indy runners! : I love these meetup reports, too. Awesome.

I am on for my LR tomorrow. Put the bees in today with dh, and no one got stung. Now I just hope they make themselves at home and stick around a while. Tomorrow, we're also doing some planting. My farm boy : came over today with the backhoe and moved manure for us. I really enjoyed the bees this time. Wearing a bee suit makes a huge difference.

I'll report after tomorrow's run.
#66 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Lisa--smoking time! Wow!

JayGee--Again, wow! You ladies are fast!

Nick--I usually do a Clif bar or luna bar, and maybe not even the whole thing. It depends how I feel.

tjsmama--yay for your 8! That's on my schedule for tomorrow.

Geo--congrats! Top half is good!

bec--a great race time! Nicely done!

drjen--also a great time.

Yay to all the Indi runners! :

I painted the bathroom ceiling today (a thankless pita job!) and then put in the 2 miles outside that the training scheduled said I ought to do. AF arrived so I'm not sure what that will mean for my scheduled 8 tomorrow. Maybe it will just be a slow 8. Or 6. Or 4.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#67 of 886 Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 PM
bec

Yeah for no stinging! I'll bet you can't wait for some huny from them!:

Not to serial post (I know, a bit late), but after looking at my Garmin again, I realized I ended up running over a mile longer than the required 13.1, due to all the weaving in and out! No wonder, I'm tired! I was into my 15th mile, when all was said and done!

#68 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 AM

Hi everyone! I'm a new runner and I'm going to be running in my first ever run next saturday. It's a half marathon. I have enjoyed reading about everyones running experiences and I really like the motivation from everyone. Would anyone like to share tips for a first time runner? It's a largish group to me anyway, the 1/2 is capped at 5000 runners and the full marathon will be going on at the same time. Small for some of you but it sounds daunting to me! We start at 8am. When should I get there? Any little things I need to know? All advice is appricated!
#69 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:23 AM

Great job Indy runners! I love reading all your stories. And, drjen, I love how you describe your outfit, that should make for some great pics!

nic - good luck tomorrow!

After all the race reports, I really wanna run a half now!

My grandma just moved into a home so my dad is cleaning out her place to sell it. I inherited all her canning supplies, so now the pressure is really on to make the garden more productive than ever. She was the master canner and I want to make her proud.
#70 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Drjen, I'm glad I now know the story behind that outfit . At least you were easy to locate.

Jooj ~ nothing says sexy like moving manure, eh .

Jillie ~ WELCOME!!!! And congratulations on your upcoming half-marathon! My advice: don't start too fast, make sure drink some water at the aid stations, fuel your race well (I always have a Gu at mile 8 or so), and have a GREAT time!!!! Glad to have another Dingo on board.

I am so sore. My piriformis is killing me. Time to break out my new foam roller from Geo . And I slept 10 hours last night too! I'm already planning for my next half ~ the Monumental in November it is!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#71 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 AM

jaygee~I'm stoked too and thinking the monumental half for me too. :
#72 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Congrats, Indi Runners! :

Jillie, welcome!

My advice for the half (I just did my first a week ago, but did a bunch of 5Ks and a 10K last year): if it's going to be cold while you're waiting, bring an old long-sleeved shirt you can ditch when you get warm. Start *so* much more slowly than you think you could possibly need to. Walk through every water station so you get a bit of a break and maximize your water intake.

And have a great time! It's such a good distance. A huge accomplishment, but completely doable at the same time.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#73 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 AM

BBM~I hope you don't mind me posting your lovely foot...
#74 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 AM

BBM~ meant to ask how you slept? I had a great night of rest and woke up refreshed.

Jaygee~ sounds like you slept great too! yay for sleep :
#75 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I don't know how everyone feels about pictures, so please let me know if you would like me to take them down or password protect them. I put them up publicly because I always love to see the pics when people post them. Perhaps I could password protect them in a week or two?

Pictures of the Dingos at the Indy Mini 2009

I also added the group pic on facebook.

R is super excited about this kids race I suggested she do the weekend of her birthday. she is now obsessed with racing and wore the necklace DrJen & C gave her as her own race medal to bed last night. We had a long conversation about "winning" races at dinner and how although none of us "won" over the weekend we all "won" by meeting our goals. Ay yi yi. She will parse this in her lawyer mind until it makes sense to her, I guess.

I am going to take her on some "training runs" since she really wants to. Her sneakers are at school and she is really upset because she wants "running shoes." I think I need to make sure they aren't too small. What do your kids run in?
#76 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
BBM~I hope you don't mind me posting your lovely foot...
You know how 13 year old boys stand around and compare injuries? Outside Chili's we were all comparing running wounds. "You think that's bad? Look at this"

I'm very, very sore today. I didn't run faster than normal (except maybe the 2 miles with Jen), and not that much further than before (just 1 mile further). Why am I so sore? All the standing? The drive home? The sun? (I tanked up really well Friday, then I was amazingly thirst after, drinking at least 4 quarts between the end of the race and when I got home. I also sweat way more during the race than I normally sweat.

Our recent weather of warm, then a week of rain has lead to a winter to jungle transition. I need to weed today. This ought to be interesting.
#77 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM

thanks for sharing all the pics and stories from Indy. totally jealous here. Hope that blister feels better BBM - ouch!

two hours on the bike on trails yesterday. three hours on deck for this afternoon. also trying to catch up on weeding my gardens. i'm concentrating more on flowers than veggies these days, mainly because i really enjoy my perennial gardens - they're just so pretty. lots of weeds though.
#78 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Wow, the blister shot makes me feel just a little better about my feet.

Having coffee before heading out...need to potty and stuff though, and dh just vacuumed my iPod cord and headphones off the kitchen counter. So before I can run, I should really head to the store for new headphones. And vacuum belts. : Seriously. At least the charger seems to still work.
#79 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks for posting the pics, B1! Funny, I never think of myself as particularly short, but next to Bec's husband, I look miniature !

Mandy, your training is going so well this year. Enjoy today's 3 hour ride .

Jo ~ he VACUUMED your headphones??? Any way you can dig though the bag for them, or are they destroyed? That headbonking emoticon seems particularly apt.

I'm still on my post-race high. Today is gorgeous, and we're headed to the plant nursery after church and planning a serious afternoon in the garden. Like you, Geo, my yard is a jungle too. In fact, the trail through the woods that DS and DH built on Easter is no longer visible from the house. It's amazing how much things can grow with a week of rain.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#80 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Weeds weeded, stinky clothes in wash, paper read, coffee drunk.

As a reward to myself for actually doing that run, I'm getting proper running clothes. Fishing through sierra trading post, how do I know if the running shorts have the built in undies? Are "Inner shorts" undies or an under layer of spandex? Anyone care to point me to their favorite brand? I'd prefer something a bit longer (purely self-consciousness issues). Favorite running bras for someone who "my kids sucked out my Bs and made 'em As"?
#81 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Quick question for everyone. I am wanting to start running...thinking about the couch to 5k. I need a pair of shoes, as mine are very, very old. Any recommendations?

TIA!
#82 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM

The best thing you can do is go to a good local running store and get fitted. What works well for one person could be a disaster for someone else, so it's really hard to make recommendations. If you go to a running store, usually they will put you in a shoe and have you run in it while they do a video analysis to see if the shoe is doing what it's supposed to. Also, if for some reason you buy the shoe and it's not working very well, they will almost always exchange it even if you've run outside in it. You'll probably pay a little more for the service, but it's well worth it, at least the first time. Once you know you have a shoe that works for you, you can look around and find better deals next time. Good luck, and welcome!

Also, welcome to Jillie!

DS is finishing up his breakfast, and then we are hoping to head out for a bike ride before the rain rolls back in again. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#83 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 PM

yay indi minis! i love seeing the pics although i don't know who everyone is...i'm figuring it out, i think. i've met wendy before, so that's one i know!

i have a small derby hangover this morning. only one mint julep consumed, but it was a doozy. i need to put in at least 4 miles today and it is pouring rain. i think i'll get back to sewing the dress i intend to wear to my sister-in-law's wedding next weekend.

i'll need the boot today, i am sure of it.

welcome jillie!

welcome 2happymamas - definitely get yourself to a running specialty store to be fitted for the best shoes for you

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#84 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
bec

Welcome, Jillie! My advice for a first race. Walk through the water stations, and make sure you hydrate. Practice your fueling ahead of time. Nothing new on race day. That means shoes, shirts, shorts, water, or fuel. Race day is not the time to find out that you don't like or can't tolerate a certain gel, or that there is an itchy, abrasive tag in a shirt. Experiment with that stuff ahead of time. Also, start slow. Figure a pace you want to run at, and try to stick to that for the first couple of miles. It's very easy to start out too fast, and run out of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I'm very, very sore today. I didn't run faster than normal (except maybe the 2 miles with Jen), and not that much further than before (just 1 mile further). Why am I so sore? All the standing? The drive home? The sun? (I tanked up really well Friday, then I was amazingly thirst after, drinking at least 4 quarts between the end of the race and when I got home. I also sweat way more during the race than I normally sweat.
I think the weaving in and out, on top of the poor road surface (except in the speedway) lead to a lot of fatigue and leg stress. I am very sore today! Thankfully, my IT band is just feeling sore, and not injured. I'm hopeful that a week or two of good rest will bring me back to normal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Thanks for posting the pics, B1! Funny, I never think of myself as particularly short, but next to Bec's husband, I look miniature !
Well, he is very tall. I'm like 6 inches shorter than he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
Quick question for everyone. I am wanting to start running...thinking about the couch to 5k. I need a pair of shoes, as mine are very, very old. Any recommendations?

TIA!
The couch to 5k is a GREAT program! I used that to start running. I think Gaye recommended going to a specialty running store. I would like to second that. It is so important to be fitted with the right shoe, and there is so much technology and engineering that goes into these shoes, that it is very helpful to have an expert help you find the right shoe. I haven't found that they are that much more expensive than buying them in a larger store, either. Good luck!!!

I think we're going to be going to buy a bunk bed today. We have a twin over twin one, but we need a twin over full. Abby has been kicking Emily a bit too much.

#85 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 PM

RACE REPORT! :

Well, I did it. Watch time: 1:06:22. Perfect 11 minute miles, basically. The last mile I ran a negative split, somewhere under 11 minutes, but not sure exactly because I couldn't get my watch to reset for the splits again.

Not sure of chip time, yet. It did take me some time to get to the starting line and I got boxed in! Yipes. Frustration.

So, the lowdown:

It was 55 degrees and drizzly. We had to walk a good 3/4 mile to the start, which wasn't bad b/c it was a decent warm-up. They had tons of baggage trucks so I was able to wait til the last second to ditch my jacket. Despite using the portopotty like 5 times, within the first mile I still felt the need to go, but managed to ignore it.

So, the first mile I started v e r y s l o w l y because I got stuck in between some walkers and some Team in Trainers (purple shirts) who just would not spread out. So the first mile it was almost over 12 minutes which was way too slow for even me. I managed to break out of that box around 1.5 miles and made some time; by the time I hit mile 2 the clock time was 22:04.

Usually I find runners to be a congenial and fun lot but I admit, I was quite frustrated and wanted to run by myself at this point. Plus there was a woman (I dubbed her Heavy Breather Red Top Woman) who I guess decided to make me her bunny rabbit because she kept creeping up right next to me, sprinting ahead of me, then dropping back. I found it rather distracting especially because when I smiled at her, she glared back. :

Next few miles relatively uneventful, except for the fact that we got herded (sheep-dog like) by motorcycle cops over to the canted side of the road because the first half marathoners were coming up behind us (okay, yes, rather humbling. -- we were passing mile 3 and they were at mile 6!). I was happy when we finally split off for the 10K-er loop.

Miles 3.5-5 were really boring, going past a golf course which, while it did have people gawking at us, were not cheering. Also, by mile 4.5, the rain started to come down hard. My shoes were soaked and my right groin started to hurt. But I still hit mile 5 at 55:02.

Last mile went quickly but I would say it was not the best course plan. We were by then back in the park area (not on roads) and the bike/running path was really too narrow for so many people. Plus there was no indication anywhere of exactly how far we had left. I began to pick up the pace at what I think was 5.5, but I came up fast on the end, and I had more juice that I could have put into it had I estimated better how far we had left. Ah, well. By that point though my groin/hip was very achy and I think I was galloping rather than running to favor my left side a bit.

So, that was my race! It was fun. Would have been better in no rain. Temp was good though; I was comfortable in a l/s tech tee and my running skirt. I was glad I brought a dry shirt to put on after.

Unfortunately I completely got disoriented as to where my car was and ended up walking 1 mile in the wrong direction and back before I was able to figure it out. I knew the parking lot number but there were no signs and no one to really direct us even though there were thousands of people there!

Got a nice lunch box cooler at the end with a roll, apple slices, pudding cup (one sponsor was Kozy Shack) and a big water bottle.

I think I may splurge on a second pair of shoes to switch off. My shoes are really soaked and they are brand new. I need to know I have a pair to wear if one is yucked up. Is this extravagant?

Re: bra chafe:: I have the same problem, it seems, over 5 miles. Got a wicked rub/zit thing under my armpit (sorry, TMI) from the bra. I am between sizes and have a very long torso (so shoulder straps always hurt). No good advice for you, just know how it feels.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#86 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Oh my Jo, he's lucky you're running. Honestly, men and their vacuuming. Last weekend dh vaccuumed the downstairs and then stood by the door shouting at everyone "to take their damn shoes off!" As if that would forever preserve his big cleanup job, then not two days later he came into the kitchen to see me washing the floor and tromped right across it with his gardening boots dripping grass clippings and goose poo.

Indy mamas - I love the pix! They are just great! And I love having faces to put with names. And Bec - It took me a while to figure out who you were because you are so much slimmer than in the last picture you posted of yourself!

Nice popper BBM!

Jillie and 2happymamas Welcome to the DIngo Cafe!

Great race report Nick!

Today is the official opening of boating season so we're heading out on the boat to try and check out this island that has "deer so tame they eat from your hand". Vamos a ver.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#87 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

So here's my race report...

It's 5:45am, still pitch black and I'm returning from the bathrooms to see a truck pulling slowly into the campground...I can't see, i think it's Jaygee...but I'm not sure. A tentative, "Kristina?" Followed by a wow! You got here fast (you just think she runs fast!).

And we're off to the race. We find a place to park (apparently a little obscure since Jaygee couldn't find it after the race ) and head over to the port-o-potty's. We were there by 6:20-6:30 so we went into the hotel in front of our corrals and do some easy stretching. I had been feeling really good and had a feeling I couldn't do the 10-11 mm pace so I decided to start with Runningmommy and Jaygee with her friend. Finally it starts... 12 and a 1/2 minutes later we reach the starting line. I was not a jackrabbit as Runningmommy may suggest...but I really do hate being behind pokey people. So I will dart and weave until I find open space. The first 7 miles were all about 8:30 and under (8:13, 8:17; 8:22, 8:26; 8:33; 8:36; 8:45 - if I recall correctly). Then I did a 9:05. I wanted at least half of the miles under 9 (so I could break 2 hours), so I ran the next mile 8:50. Then I kept them lower nines for a couple (9:12; 9:16). Then I felt the lack of running the last month. I did one mile at 10:05, but the other two were 9:30-9:45 range. The last mile my quads and left calf were SCREAMING! I just kept saying to myself you CANNOT stop, if you stop you will not break two hours. I can honestly say that last mile was the hardest mental mile I have ever done in my life. But I am really proud of how hard I worked through it. I ended up doing 13.25 total (my 13.1 time was 1:58.41, my total time was 1:59.??).

And the foot...someone asked me "dayum, didn't that HURT?" And while I was running, yeah it did kinda hurt, but I was really surprised to see this monster on my foot! As my husband put it, "it's deliciously disgusting." When I popped it, dd actually averted her eyes, and said in her most disdainful voice, "mom that's disgusting...ewww." Actually (for DrJen's benefit), I lanced it with a clean set of medical scissors and promptly put antibiotic cream on it...the pressure was so great it was hurting. And you didn't even get to see the blister under my second toe!

So all in all a great run, especially given my hip and lack of training in the last month. I really think had I been healthy I could've broken my original goal of beating 1:50.

Oh and don't drink the gatorade stuff....it will do terrible things to your stomach (in response to your question Lisa - not so good because of my stomach). I'm sore today in a way I didn't expect...but again, what can I expect I hadn't done a run over 1 1/2 miles in 3 1/2 weeks.
#88 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 PM

eating my peanut butter, nutella and banana pre-run sandwich

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#89 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
eating my peanut butter, nutella and banana pre-run sandwich
Yummy!!

Indy Mini runners - way to go. I loved the pix and reports.

Nick - Woohoo!! Great race!!

I just got in from my bike ride. Someone yelled "speed racer" out their car window to me. I know I'm not but it sure made my day.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#90 of 886 Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Weeds weeded, stinky clothes in wash, paper read, coffee drunk.

As a reward to myself for actually doing that run, I'm getting proper running clothes. Fishing through sierra trading post, how do I know if the running shorts have the built in undies? Are "Inner shorts" undies or an under layer of spandex? Anyone care to point me to their favorite brand? I'd prefer something a bit longer (purely self-consciousness issues). Favorite running bras for someone who "my kids sucked out my Bs and made 'em As"?
on the A's...me too... I use a champion that I really like, but everyone is different. Can't say much about shorts, I always buy mine in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post

TIA!
I second going to a running shoe store, make sure the person helping you has a clue! Couch to 5k is a great start, remember if you need to repeat a week, that this is a good thing - you are still going forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
yay indi minis! i love seeing the pics although i don't know who everyone is...i'm figuring it out, i think. i've met wendy before, so that's one i know!

i'll need the boot today, i am sure of it.
consider this a boot! I'm the one sitting in front with two adorable children (one Bec's and the other mine ).

Quote:
You know how 13 year old boys stand around and compare injuries? Outside Chili's we were all comparing running wounds. "You think that's bad? Look at this"

I'm sore as well, I think it's because of lots of different things...standing around a lot afterwards instead of walking and working loose some of that lactic acid, I think although I drank a lot I was still a little dehydrated - I sweated a lot (!) And then the quality of the roads was really poor - I was holding my body much more rigidly because of that. In fact my upper back and neck muscles were a little sore today and I think that's because I was holding myself more tensely than usual. The added for me of course is no running in 3-4 weeks.

on the comparisons...At one point while getting set for the picture Wendy said, "all the sore people get to sit down on the bench," I laughed and replied, "uh so all of us need to sit down?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a new runner and I'm going to be running in my first ever run next saturday. It's a half marathon. I have enjoyed reading about everyones running experiences and I really like the motivation from everyone. Would anyone like to share tips for a first time runner? It's a largish group to me anyway, the 1/2 is capped at 5000 runners and the full marathon will be going on at the same time. Small for some of you but it sounds daunting to me! We start at 8am. When should I get there? Any little things I need to know? All advice is appricated!
I think my words of advice are to start slower than you think you should...it's hard not to be swept up in the adrenaline of the race and go out so fast that you bonk. What have you trained up to mileage-wise? Do you have any goals on how fast you want to complete the race? Use body glide under your arms (where they may rub against your shirt/bra) and between your thighs if you ever have even a tendency to chafe there. Find a good balance for hydration - not over or under. Both can be brutal. Really try and follow whatever you've already been doing. You'll be just fine in the race. Oh and don't try anything new on race day fuel-wise or hydration-wise...that can lead to some interesting results Otherwise have FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
RACE REPORT! :
Usually I find runners to be a congenial and fun lot but I admit, I was quite frustrated and wanted to run by myself at this point. Plus there was a woman (I dubbed her Heavy Breather Red Top Woman) who I guess decided to make me her bunny rabbit because she kept creeping up right next to me, sprinting ahead of me, then dropping back. I found it rather distracting especially because when I smiled at her, she glared back. :

I think I may splurge on a second pair of shoes to switch off. My shoes are really soaked and they are brand new. I need to know I have a pair to wear if one is yucked up. Is this extravagant?
Great race report! I hate those kind of people!! Especially when they do the walk/jog/run thing...grrrr nothing chaps my a@@ like someone almost beating me that walked in a race. (but did the super fast walk thing...someone walking b/c they can't go on, get a 2nd wind and pass me I'm okay with ... it's the kinda people you described that bug me).

That's all I got time for...

Oh one more thing...any indy mamas - did you see the elephants as we passed the zoo? Too cool! Oh and the hot air balloons? Apparently there was a hare and rabbit "race" for hot air balloons with the goal of getting as close as possible/following the rabbit as close as possible (or some such thing) at the same time as the race. Cool distraction.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page