Spring has sprung, summer is a comin'...are ya runnin? dingo fest May 09 - Page 30 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#871 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Wendy - Speaking as a former innkeeper I say be sure to tell the manager exactly what you want to forget about that horrendous stay before you start posting the name of the place all over the internet. Those review sites make a real impact and negative reviews carry a lot of weight, even for big fancy chains.

This is a hotel on site of a national lab. It's a somewhat captive audience. It's actually kind of nice (and safer) to be able to walk.
#872 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geo~ Yikes! That's SO not what you want to deal with when you've been up that long. Glad you finally got some sleep! I was just wondering about you, thinking that I hadn't seen you around these parts lately, and there you are!

drjen~You've gotta be kidding me, right? What is WRONG with these people??

faliciagayle~I have not heard of National Running Day, but I guarantee I'll be taking part, since I have my group track workout that morning.

Ladies, I'm tired. I don't know WHY that could possibly be!

STBX picked up DS for the day this morning, but not early enough for me to get out for my planned long run. I still got 5 in, but I was hoping for at least 8. Maybe I can do 8 on Tuesday, although I'll have to take DS to do it. Funny how 5 miles isn't really a long run anymore!

I took advantage of being kid-free this afternoon to run a bunch of errands. SO much easier that way! I picked up the lab pack and microscope for my microbiology class, so once my anatomy book arrives, I should be set for materials. The microscope is pretty dusty, but it looks like all the parts are there and that it works, so I guess I can't complain too much since I bought it off craigslist.

DS took his new camera with him to his dad's. On the one hand I'm WAY curious to see what comes back on it (the kid takes pictures at a ridiculous rate), but on the other hand, I just don't want to see it, kwim? Oh well, somebody's gotta go through and weed out the pictures. DS's old enough to know how to work the camera, but not really old enough yet to understand deleting pictures and stuff. Of course, it *is* a 2gb memory card, so it could take him awhile to fill it up...

rr~5 miles with the dog. I felt really good, other than my feet being sore from being on them a lot the past several days. I was actually surprised by how slow my pace was, based on how good I felt, but I did spend a lot of the first two and a half miles picking my way through construction zones (they're digging up my favorite running route to put in new drainage and irrigation).

Anyone wanna come over for leftover pizza, pasta salad, veggies and dip, and cake???

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#873 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Gaye..yes...I'd love to pop over for dinner!

Nic..I totally love cheesecake..especially white chocolate with raspberry sauce on top! Mmm!!!

Plady...you are doing great with your marathon training!

Geo..bummer night..I totally can't function without sleep! I mean totally!

drjen...Happy birthday to your baby girl!

faliciagayle..I'll run on national day of running!!!

Mel38..your pictures are great!

JayGee.....how was your bike ride? How many miles did you cram in?

Jillie...you did awesome on your 5K run!

jooj..other kids...birthday parties..oye!

Dh is making a yummy stir fry and the veggies are from the garden!

It's taper week! The tri is this coming Saturday! I am excited, but nervous! I was walking this morning and thought about it and got a little nervous! A pit in my stomach. Then, a little tiny dog almost bit my ankle while I was walking this morning, and I had a fit! It scared me pretty bad. I couldn't believe it. I apologized to a neighbor for yelling so loud and he said he'd been attacked by the same dog, so it made me feel better.

Hope you all have good week!
#874 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM

NIC!!!! I am having a love/hate relationship with you and I haven't even met you! The Land's End code...the cheesecake.....love them....shouldn't do them......

Geo, OMG, I am so glad you finally got some sleep! that is heinous. I had a similar thing happen and my roomate and I had to sit outside in the skanky hall while the security guards all tried the keys (this was a huge hotel in Chicago) until 2 a.m. UNCOOL. why do they do that???

running my loop tomorrow, I think, and then taking dd to Six Flags. Yipes. Anticipating dehydration and wiped-ed ness, but hoping to have a good time. ds is at "camp" at my mom's for a few days and having a great time apparently.
#875 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM

Geo - that is wicked. I could not have handled the situation nicely on very little sleep.

Nic - I am staying away for that code. I do need a few things but I do not think workout clothes are it.

I skimmed to catchup but I think general dingo wisdom would be to keep dd3's 4th bday party small. She has big plans that make me a bit . I would have to agree that some children have no manners. After a day around some of them I am much harder on my children that I should be but I cannot stand the thought of them pulling some of that crap. It makes me shake with horror.

Saturday I ran 12.5 miles, picked 2 flats of strawberries with the kiddos, showered and drove 2 hours to my mom's with some of the berries for her birthday. This morning I bought a travel stick at the running store and drove home to make jam. I am beat; the kids are would up.

I wish I could do better at personals without writing a book. I will say you are all so motivating as you rise to your personal challenges and share your battles and strengths here.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#876 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM

I managed to ride 22.25 miles this morning. The first loop felt kind of crappy, but I turned it on for the second loop and it was much faster . I'm planning on swimming, biking and doing the elliptical all week in hopes that my achilles and my knee will be in racing shape by next Saturday's tri. We'll see...

Kids start VBS tomorrow and DH is a volunteer for it too, so just the littlest and I will be heading to the Y. I want to swim around 2500m.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#877 of 886 Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM

geo - i don't even know the last time i was up for 24+ hours! i can't even imagine having to deal with that on so little sleep

mb - have fun at sixflags - yipes is right!

plady - at the staring and drooling story...

we just got back from a super nice weekend away to celebrate our 10th anniversary. we were slacking on planning anything and had pretty much decided, due to lack of available funds, we would just do a day trip somewhere and try to plan something big for next year. turns out a friend here has a friend who has a rental house in carmel. since it wasn't rented for this month he let us stay there for cleaning fee only! now that we've been to carmel i can say, we were out of our element there but had a great time. the conspicuous wealth everywhere can be a bit much but luckily the scenery and beach is all very nice to take in.

i'm still dragging with that cold/sinus thing. hoping to rack up some mileage this week since i am so far behind in my training. i did 4 miles today and it was supposed to be 9

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#878 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 AM

Ooooh, now I really need some cheesecake!

jaygee - wow, that's a long bike ride! I thought I was gonna die after 5 miles the other day.

poppy - happy anniversary! Sounds like a lovely weekend.

rr: 14 more TM miles. 2:11 minutes of my life I'll never have back. Today was the San Diego RnR marathon, which I was <this close> to making my first, so I kept reminding myself that at least I wasn't running 26.2.
#879 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
plady - at the staring and drooling story...
We can try it on the BART this summer!

We survived all the partying today, actually both girls had a blast. The one for the 2 year old was possibly one of the best 2 year old parties I've been to, especially considering how many people were there. The family pulled all the kid's (gagillion) toys out on the lawn so there were plenty of things for everyone to play with. Honestly they could easily stock a preschool with all the stuff they had but it made for a nice party. We didn't stay long enough to see the aftermath but I imagine they'll be mowing over blocks for years to come. Unfortunately I returned home with almost all of my rice dish. I choose to believe it was not because nobody liked it but because it was situated between an incredible looking pan of mac and cheese and a dish of the best chocolate eclairs in the world. It's okay, dinner is mostly ready for tomorrow!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#880 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 AM

Geo - dh is Building 401, room 1202B and his office extension is 0141. I'm bummed you're so close and we won't get to see you (you're actually 80 miles away from my house, so not that close, but much closer than Ohio!)

mamabeth - did you try the shoes on your long run? I know they feel like tanks, but if you need motion control they are supposed to be great.

I just had a lovely after dark run. My treadmill is fine, but my basement is still a disaster area, so running outside is pretty much the only option. Today was busy, so after the kids went to bed was the only option. I ran 3.71 in gorgeous weather - light breeze, beautiful stars, and it felt wonderful. Tomorrow is an off day - Justin has a game anyway. This week is supposed to be a fall back week in training, which works since I'm on call this weekend.
#881 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 AM

I mostly skimmed, but finally caught up! :

Wendy--that's so weird about the key. I hope you finally got some sleep.

On birthdays: we've never had a kid birthday party for DD. Or attended one. :

Nick--how awesome about the age group award!!

Amanda--glad to see you here (finally)! Did you run the BB with Kate? Also, which half are you thinking about?

Jillie--impressive 5k time! WTG!

tjsmama--so sorry about the bike! I really hope insurance will cover it. Happy birthday to your little one and what an awesome cake!

RR: a bit more about last week's 10k, and my race disclaimer about the sub-9 on mile 1: it's mostly downhill. I always run that one fast. The surprising part was that I managed to run mile 5 and mile 6 sub-9 too (8:27 and 8:49), which was pretty exciting because the last mile is almost entirely uphill. I love that race!

I only got in one run while we were in the mountains this week: today. I went out for 4 and while the skies looked vaguely threatening, I didn't worry about it because the skies ahead of me looked just fine. When I turned around after 2 miles, I realized the skies to the north were really dark and it started thundering a ton...so I did some impromptu speedwork on the way back. Other than that we hiked, went canoeing, and we went to the hot springs one day. I went swimming in the only cold pool while we were there. DH says I did laps for 20 minutes. I thought I was only in for 15...but either way, I was surprised I could swim for that long. And grateful that the rest of the place had hot springs because the unheated pool was freezing! :

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#882 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 AM

good morning.

Geo, that hotel story is horrible. I woudl have been in tears, just wanting to sleep.. NOW!

I ran 4 on Sat with the gym run club. I think this is the farthest that I have run in almost 10 years. I did walk/run the last 1.5 miles, but I did the whole thing in 52 minutes.

My tri is this Sat. I'm excited. We have a week full of swim team and softball. Both of my girls have their AllStar tournaments this weekend. I will probably miss a little bit of their 1st games on Saturday, but I'll be able to make it there for the afternoon games. My MIL is coming to help out since I won't be there that am.

I plan on spinning a few times this week, taking it easy HR-wise. I'll also walk and do the elliptical once or twice. otherwise, I think I am ready!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#883 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM

real, I am jeaous on the kid party thing. My old friend used to just have a big play group with a meal, mostly for the moms. This is totally the way to go. I am out of sorts living here but in it for the long haul. See location. (I admit most of this is on my head).

Gaye, I don't know how you do it on your own. I hate it and I am only trying to get ready for him to leave. My sanity has taken leave already. I think I am scared. Dd1 is really trying to be difficult and it scares me to have to deal with her and the 3 younger kiddos. It really shorts ds1. I just need to keep dd2 from going over to the dark side.

No running this morning but I am checking out the gym with child care this am.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#884 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 AM

JUNE THREAD!!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#885 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Sounds like a lot of good running happened this weekend. ButI can't afford to be thinking about cheesecake right now. Can't do it. I also bet that Ace bandage girl had stuff on under her bandages. I think she lost a bet or was being hazed by the cross country team.

Trying to remember that I control my eating. Also back to logging on FitDay. Also finding that I am binging when I feel like I should be doing something other than what I am doing (i.e., doing dishes when I should be mowing lawn). So I need to learn to PUT DOWN THE HOUSEWORK. And if you saw my house, you'd tell me I'm excelling at this.

I didn't get my actual run in this weekend. But I did chase an emu for about 45 minutes, and I also mowed the lawn completely (another 45 minutes pushing) so that's something...: A lot of lateral movement chasing the bird, though. She's back in the barn, and we'll try family mediation again in a couple months. Chased and caught all the ewes, too, to vaccinate for clostridium C & D and tetanus. So there was more running and wrestling. (No wonder I am so tired.)Also thinned my lettuce rows, which I hope to do every other day. The garden is exciting! :

Geo, I read your story and it had me confused and angry. Esp. the white-out. wtf?

It's the last week of school and my first week of the new schedule. I am thinking about having ds ride the school bus home every day this week, so I can just pick up dd at 2:45 : and get home and get back to work, rather than deal with alternatives. Ds would get home around 3:30 that way, so I could get a couple chores done and when he gets home, they can play while I work a little more...: that this works. I can TM run most days, but I have childcare and an at-home day tomorrow so I can make up a decent outdoor run, weather permitting. Pray for me, Dingos!

(Selfish note: there seems to always be a plane crash when dh travels...don't know whether to be thankful about that due to the whole odds game of it or...or, well, how to feel. I seriously do feel for those families in the situation. ) Dh is halfway to LA already, where he'll be for two weeks. Here's hoping he'll be home for the second half of June.

Run, Dingos! Run!

Oh! Also stopped in to see Mr. Picante's WAY CUTE babies down the road. OMG. All twins and triplets. And, these neighbors gave me, no kidding, a plastic grocery bag full of fresh, gorgeous asparagus. I sauteed a big pot full for dinner, and I still have 2/3 left. I'll be eating asparagus and baby arugula this week. :
#886 of 886 Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Anyone wanna come over for leftover pizza, pasta salad, veggies and dip, and cake???
: And on the subject of the camera (great gift idea, BTW!), if your ds is anything like mine, there will be a bunch of pics of table legs, electric cords, a wall or two... some dirt... maybe a bug if you are lucky.

Mamabelle: Good luck!! Don't worry, you'll do great.

Mamabeth: have fun at Six Flags! My favorite ride, I never miss it, is Monster Mansion. Sad, I know. But I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Saturday I ran 12.5 miles, picked 2 flats of strawberries with the kiddos, showered and drove 2 hours to my mom's with some of the berries for her birthday. This morning I bought a travel stick at the running store and drove home to make jam.
Yum, jam. Just wondering, what is a travel stick? Like a walking stick? Nice run, too!

JayGee: This upcoming Saturday is your tri? Will you have a rest day before it?

Poppy: A vacation in Carmel sounds really cool. What a beautiful place.

CFG: Wow, 14 on the TM!

Plady: How funny about your subway socio-psychological experiments!

DrJen: I hope that basement will be great once it gets done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
the skies to the north were really dark and it started thundering a ton...so I did some impromptu speedwork on the way back.
Eeek! Yeah, that's one way to run faster!

Gigi: WTG on the 4 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
No running this morning but I am checking out the gym with child care this am.
Good idea on the gym. I hope that the dynamic shifts when it's just one parent, so that things turn out better than you think.

I am on my way to the gym for a TM run of 4.5 miles. I missed my morning run with RP because as I left the house, I was almost run down by a truck from the county spraying for mosquitoes!! I had no idea that they sprayed in our neighborhood! I was glad that they didn't catch us out on our run - we would have been doused in the stuff!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page