Spring has sprung, summer is a comin'...are ya runnin? dingo fest May 09 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Hey, Nic, how necessary were those two pages of instructions on the D tags? We were all laughing at that, since ours came stuck to the bib, with a 1"x4" strip for the instructions. When we tried to follow them, Jen and I weren't actually sure what was meant! Sure enough, we ended up with ours on in opposite directions, and looking around, everyone had them different.

Of course, our expo had a whole booth dedicated to showing you how to put them on. It sure was nice not to have to stop at the finish line and have someone take the chip off, though!

Even with all the directions I had to have a random woman put mine on me. It was really so simple but somehow they made it so darn complicated.

How unrealistic is it to try for a half mary sometime in the summer? (Marine Corps is at the end of October).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Nic, realistic, but make it a while before your full.

Geo, I was going to say that I am always super sore after a race, even a 10K. just happens, I guess! out of curiosity, did you eat during the race?? drink??
#123 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Geo, I was going to say that I am always super sore after a race, even a 10K. just happens, I guess! out of curiosity, did you eat during the race?? drink??
I normally did my long run either in the middle of the afternoon, or 5 minutes after rolling out of bed. I had those two cases figured out. The race started 2.5 hours after I got up after a poor night's sleep. I tanked up really well the day before, and drank a quart of water on the drive into the city. I choked down a half pb&j (thanks to Chelsea) and an apple an hour before race time. I was starving at mile 6, so I tried some water. I successfully got some water into my mouth (as opposed to on my shorts) at mile 6.5 or so. It helped. I got weirdly hot on the speedway (7.5-8 mile), so I got gaterade at the exit of the speedway (8.5 mile?). YUCK. Never again. I had to walk to drink it, and it sat like a glob in the bottom of my stomach through the rest of the race, despite walking two more water stops in an attempt to wash it out. (And the hot shaky feeling came back anytime the sun came out of the clouds, and disappeared anytime the clouds won out.) At the finish, I immediately drank a 20 oz water, ate half a cookie and drank a big thing of gaterade before even getting my picture taken.

I would have been a lot better off had I stuffed two of Jen's mini muffins in my pockets and eaten them when the gun went off at the start (at which point I would have had another 23 minutes of standing and walking slowly), with 2-3 waters throughout.
#124 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Nic, realistic, but make it a while before your full.
Should I try to make it for the same weekend I would be scheduled to do a long run of 13 miles?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#125 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM

I totally can't keep up - in this thread or IRL I've given up on running for awhile while I find my balance. I start a T'ai Chi class tomorrow night so we'll see how that goes - I'll keep checking in occassionally though

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#126 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM

I am reading along but today has been horrible. I knew they were getting sick Thursday and Friday but yuck- I hate snot. Thankfully, I think everyone will live. I ran 4 miles this morning and felt much better until late this afternoon when I started eating like there was no tomorrow due to all the running and no sleep.

I totally have the racing bug and am thinking about doing another half on the 16th of May. Is that crazy? Once I decide on that I'll sign up for the Monumental I think. I am so into it all right now.

Who said they tried the gels? The luna moons are nice. I cut the regular (margarita flavor with extra salt) ones in half before I leave because they are just too big. I struggle to breathe, run and eat the gels. Perhaps I need to work on something there.

: for the arbitration Gaye

babybugmama, I hope by the time your hip s better your blister is also healed.

Plady, I really like your field and think your dh should be proud.

Geo, I tried the gatorade by mistake on Saturday thinking it was water. Let me just say that it burnt my eyes like crazy. :

Nick, at some point as you train for the full once your miles be built up to where 13 isn't a really long run?

: dingo tees are coming soon. :

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#127 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeegads, dd1 is practicing her recorder. ::

Good thing I her.

#128 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Geo, I tried the gatorade by mistake on Saturday thinking it was water. Let me just say that it burnt my eyes like crazy. :

That's such a good idea about cutting up the bloks! I haven't tried them yet mainly because they looked so large. you know it's sad when the simplest solution is out of sight!

Gaye - Thinking of you this afternoon mama, I hope it's going/gone okay.

Geo - That tip about eating as the gun goes off is inspired! I'm going to write that one down to remember in July!

Nick - I don't know if I'm smart or not but I'm incorporating a half marathon into my 18 miler scheduled for June 7.

BBM - Hmmmm, Disney Marathon 2011? Hmmmmm.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#129 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

REALLY PLADY???? Oooooo that would be sooo awesome!
#130 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Yeegads, dd1 is practicing her recorder. ::

Good thing I her.

My little DD is coughing and coughing. Making some tea for her right now.

I calibrated my new Nike Ipod sensor today and then did my run on the tmill. All told I managed 3 miles. I could tell that it was easier than the last time I did 3! (about a week ago, I think.)
#131 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 PM

I can't believe JayGee and mommajb have been running already! I must be a big wimp. I haven't run yet, although I feel like I could today. Not sure I'll get a run in tomorrow, either, as I have to work all day and Justin has a 7:30 pm ball game. It's much harder to get my runs in during the kids' sports seasons! My legs are barely sore today. I think since I slowed down some after 8 miles due to my tummy hurting, my legs were more sore like post-long run, than post-race, and I'm feeling recovered more quickly.

Speaking of baseball, Justin's team had their first regular season game today. They'd played in a 3 game tournament a week ago and lost all three games spectacularly, including 2 of them by the 10-run slaughter rule. They won tonight, though (I was hoping they could just stay in the game and not get so demoralized by getting pounded.) My kid cracks me up - he plays in the infield for the most part (and pitches a little in relief) and he talks constantly out there "Okay guys, 1 out, nobody on, play's at one!" and "2 outs, bases loaded, play's at any base!" Every single pitch, he's talking to the team about where the play is - he is never quiet. He had 2 good hits tonight, including a line drive double to left field, and was hit by a pitch (fortunately no injury) He pitched 2 innings, and gave up a solo homerun on the first pitch, but then settled down and didn't allow another run. They won 10-8, in a very close game that traded the lead back and forth a few times. I love watching baseball!

I think I'm going to try a different store for shoes on Wed. I love my little store, and the staff is pretty knowledgeable, if you get the right guy, but my newest shoes I don't think are going to do it, and my older ones seem to leave my big toes and balls of my feet sore. I'm going to try the store near ds's college that does a more extensive gait analysis and see what I end up with there. Also, I really need to at least look at some warmer clothes so I can run outside more when it's not 60F and above!

Caught a baby this morning. Mom came in around 8 am and had her baby before noon. She had a long labor and pushed 3 hours with her first baby, and was adamant about avoiding an epidural this time. She did it - but her labor was very intense and towards the end, she was pretty distressed and overwhelmed. Right after birth, she had a lot of really intense afterpains, and was so uncomfortable she didn't feel she could hold the baby or anything. We ended up giving a little bit of IV pain meds after the birth, and she slept for 2 hours. She woke up feeling a lot better, and seems really mortified that she was so unable to be with the baby right after birth. She did tell one of our L&D nurses she is friends with that she was glad to have not had an epidural, but this labor seemed so painful and hard for her it made me wonder (and I'm not a big fan of epidurals - that's for sure.) I just felt bad that the actual birth and immediate postpartum time was so not what she was hoping for.
#132 of 886 Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Hi, I wanna join! I know a few of you from other threads

running a 5k weekend after next, dunno about any other races.

easy run today with babe to park.... because I couldn't find the connector quick-release for my chariot. I had really wanted to ride. Sigh.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#133 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM
bec

Jen - I'm with you! There is no way I could run today! I jogged down the hall at brownies to try to stop a sink from over flowing, and I didn't think I was going to die, so I have some hope!

I think I'm going to go and get new shoes tomorrow, and start putting the kids through the Couch to 5k on Wednesday!

I did spend all day today cleaning, sorting and purging through the kids' bedroom. We went out and bought a twin over full sized bunk bed to replace their old one. Now that Abby is sleeping with Emily, they really need a little more space (Abby was kicking the crud out of Emily!). But, in order to make that happen, the room needed to be cleaned out, rearranged to make space for the bigger furniture, the old bed disassembled, the dresser emptied and moved out, the closet cleaned, etc. It was hard, tiring work! I'm glad it's done, but it is amazing how messy doing that room made the rest of the house!:

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#134 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 AM

I need to get a job. Or go back to school. Or something. Basically, I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and I need to do it now. Sigh. Life sucks sometimes, you know? :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#135 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Oh Gaye, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
#136 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 AM

drjen, I am still so bummed that we didn't meet. So many of your posts resonate with me. I am not sure if it is because I have given birth five times and you post birth stories or what. It could be that I have kids very similar in age to two of yours. I can totally picture Ian talking his way through a ball game like Justin. Have fun shoe shopping when you get there.

FaliciaGayle. I wondered when you would make your way to the dingo thread.

Gaye, I think you make a great on-line athletic trainer; you have helped many dingos quite a bit. Seriously, I am sorry you have so many stresses right now.

I am off to the gym!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#137 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Gaye, I'm with mommajb. You have great talents, and you have done so much to get ds ready for the world. I know it's a huge source of stress, but I also know you can do it, and very well. I hope there are wonderful surprises for you around this corner.

Hi FaliciaGayle! I hope you love it here. It's a great place to hang out between runs and life and stuff.

I played midwife again yesterday. Only I was the kind that shows up late and just kind of cleans up afterward. Dh got home and found the mama shouting at him, and he thought she looked like she had delivered...but he couldn't find new lambs. So he thought a predator had come. He found a great puddle of amniotic fluid, but no baby. Then mama started pushing and delivered two big girls before his very eyes. He was all misty-eyed when I got home. I just got to give her the post-delivery energy drink, the treat (cracked corn) and some hay, and dip navels in iodine. I almost can't believe the good fortune we have had with moms and lambs this spring. 6 sets of twins, and so far 0 mortality. :

Drjen, good luck with the shoes. I am realizing how much my whole body depends on taking care of the shoe situation. All the issues I had on my last, SHORT run, were absent doing my 15-miler in brand new shoes. It's embarrassing having to wear men's Brooks Addictions (like tanks--for your feet ), but without them, everything else goes to pieces.

: For all the Indy runners, that's me giving you a nice massage. : That's for speedy recovery.

On another : note, my proposal has been approved, and starting 6/1 I will be in office 3 days a week, 6 hours per day, with an additional 12ish hours worked from home. So I hope to hammer out which days I'll be in with my supervisor, and then sit down with dh and work out a schedule for him to take some vacation days over summer. Kids are both signed up for summer activities. I can't tell you how happy I am to get them out of the daycare grind. They were doing really, really long weeks there, and ds especially gets stressed by the noise and craziness of large crowds of kids.

Packing running clothes, ready to do 4-5 after work, maybe with RP if she's up to it. As one very wise Dingo mentioned, I need to do the short runs to support the long runs. Dh is picking up kids, so I should have the time. I am hoping it goes like JayGee's and is actually fun at the end of the day.

Barn chores call...
#138 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I did spend all day today cleaning, sorting and purging through the kids' bedroom. We went out and bought a twin over full sized bunk bed to replace their old one. Now that Abby is sleeping with Emily, they really need a little more space (Abby was kicking the crud out of Emily!). But, in order to make that happen, the room needed to be cleaned out, rearranged to make space for the bigger furniture, the old bed disassembled, the dresser emptied and moved out, the closet cleaned, etc. It was hard, tiring work! I'm glad it's done, but it is amazing how messy doing that room made the rest of the house!:
Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I need to get a job. Or go back to school. Or something. Basically, I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and I need to do it now. Sigh. Life sucks sometimes, you know? :
Tjsmama -- life does suck sometimes. But you have a long life ahead of you and if you even think about working PT next year --- T is going to preschool, no?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#139 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Should I try to make it for the same weekend I would be scheduled to do a long run of 13 miles?
My running coach suggested doing that for my full mary coming up. I ran a 10-mile race instead, but a bunch of people from my running group ran a half for a training run.

Gaye

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#140 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Gaye I'm sorry you have to deal with all the unfairness.

I'm sore from my workouts yesterday. If it's not raining I will walk or walk/run a little, but that's it for today.

I went out for coffee/tea with two of my friends last night, and we talked past the coffee shop closing time and the poor owner had to ask us to leave!

I will try cutting up the blocks!
#141 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Gaye Life really is unfair at times. Do you think you could get back to doing PT? I'm so sorry .

My left ankle is so screwed up from these shoes . I hate to think I just dumped $100 on brand new running shoes and now have to spend $100 more on a pair that actually works for me.... I should have known better than to buy my shoes at Dicks, but I had a coupon. Well, lesson learned .

Boot camp this morning, planting petunias this afternoon, and then planning for the Senior (as in 4th year cadet, not senior citizen) Social I'm hosting this Friday. It never ends .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#142 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM

That block cutting up idea is brilliant.

I think it's time to face facts that I too need new shoes. I will be so embarrassed if that's been the heart of the problem all along. I have no idea how many miles are on them given how much I've stopped and started.

DH leaves tomorrow for 5 days, and I have to write a paper and take a final while he is gone. EEK!
#143 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM

s Gaye. life is hard and it sucks. here's to turning this problem into wonderful opportunities and new directions and getting to a good place mentally and financially

so i didn't end up doing my long ride on sunday, my guts were totally screwed up and i felt overall crappy. i actually put all my stuff on and headed out, but a mile down the road i realized that i just didn't want to do it. so i turned around and rescheduled for monday night. and it was totally worth it.

i went out for 2.5 hours after work last night. The first 1.25 hours was mostly climbing and it went well. Then I started back down the mountain on a bunch of singletrack and i totally had the zen flow of mountain biking going on. I was on fire and just so in the moment.

As i was finishing up with the 2nd to last trail and darkness was very hot on my heels, i saw either a baby bear or a dog. now a bear isn't improbable but i had passed a guy out there running with a black dog. but this thing wasn't moving like a dog. i didn't see a mommy in the trees though. anyway, i got nervous and turned off the ipod and kept very aware of my surroundings for the final trail. Then i heard the runner off in the distance calling for his dog repeatedly. so maybe it was just a dog i saw.

Anyway, it was a grand ride. looks like we're escaping the rain that was supposed to arrive today. i have intervals on my schedule for today and my cross bike on the car. looking forward to my workout.
#144 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM

awesome Mandy, sounds great except for maybe the nature encounter. scary!

Gaye....just sending good thoughts your way that something opens up for you.

I ran my loop with rp this morning and it was so humid and hot all of a sudden! hello summer! but felt pretty good and I have zumba tonight at the church which I am really looking forward to. I am really having fun cross training : NO, NOT THAT KIND lately, not running so many miles that I am too tired to do anything else. this is more fun right now.

Hmmmmm Disney 2011......had fun the first time (Disney 2005).....hmmm.....
#145 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Disney 2011 ... that would give me enough time to work up to marathon distance, I think. I've heard it's really fun!

Gaye - Sorry about that feeling of anxiety. I hope all good things are right around the corner for you.

Mandy - scary, be careful! That dog might have been chasing baby bear, too, so I think you were right to be wary.

Jo, how cool! you are an excellent midwife!

Mommajb, I hope everyone is on the mend there.

DrJen, I love the birth stories. Those afterpains can catch you by surprise. You think it's all over and you can just lay back and relax, and then boom! Anyway, I hope hormones erase any bad memories and help her feel ok about it. It seems we women are very hard on ourselves sometimes about acting "right" during birth. I know I was.

Anyway, I did a quick-ish 3 miler with RP yesterday and have something planned for tonight. I think I should just do a nice walk or something instead of a run, because I would like to run 5 tomorrow morning. I don't think I have managed 5 since early April.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#146 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM

disney 2011.. hmmm ... i just wanted to join in the chorus. i saw that their finisher medals are not round but rather the shape of mickey mouse's head! aw. cute.

THE T-SHIRTS HAVE SHIPPED! (to me.) the good news is they will arrive on friday, the bad news is i am out of town on friday! but my neighbor will take charge and tuck them away until i return on sunday so....if i have my act together i hope to ship out to everyone on monday!

i need to run today but my, is it rainy today. and foggy. i guess it will be the treadmill.

gaye -

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#147 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM

I am antsy, antsy, antsy! The marathon is twelve days away and it's all I can think about. Agh. Tapering is tough.

Just needed to put that out there.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#148 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

The afterpains with ds actually scared me. I would start shaking so hard I couldn't hold anything in my hands. Totally freaked me out, more painful than the birth actually.
#149 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM

NAK

Gaye ~

poppy ~ I can't wait for that shirt to arrive. :

Disney huh? Do they have a half?

I have a run planned for later - when DH can watch V. Swimming tomorrow which I am dreading cuz I don't know how to swim with any technique...yet. Advice??

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#150 of 886 Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Disney does have a half! You get a different medal though....I did the full in 2005 (some old time Dingoes might remember!) and it was fun, but very hot that year (80 at the finish). I do love my Mickey medal! And by 2011 dh might be up for another Disney trip. The timing always works really well for us bc it's after Christmas but not Lent yet. There are characters and bands along the way, but there are also boring stretches where it would be great to have some dingo sisters to talk to. let's all say together.....HMMMMM..............

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page