EFLF in May - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I've been trying the coconut oil system half-heartedly--I do coconut oil before meals most days but I'm not eating coconut much other than that and frankly, I've been eating junk lately. So now I want to try it for real and see what it does.

Goals:
Eat more coconut
Eat less grains
Cut out all nasty liquid oils
Eat more organ meats
Make more of the recipes in the book
Get cardio exercise everyday and body shaping every other day.

Anybody want to join?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 70 Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'll try. i think i may be fructose/sugar intolerant so i'm going to try to cut out vast quantities of fruit. i'm almost done with grains already so i want to:

finish cutting out grains
greatly reduce the amount of fruit i eat at one time
start coconut oil at 1/4 tsp per day (i get palpitations from it)
#3 of 70 Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM

I have really been wanting to commit to eating the CO, but everytime I back out. I know all the stuff they say about it, but it is just hard accepting that eating that many extra calories is going to help me lose weight. I would love to hear if people are successful in losing with it and would really like to try it. I do not doubt the health benefits from it, just the weight loss.
#4 of 70 Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I did ok with breakfast and lunch yesterday, but I added chocolate chip cookies and had ice cream and brownies in place of dinner. I'll double check, but I don't remember seeing that in the foods for the diet. It was mostly poor planning, I was out garage saleing all day and although I packed snacks for DD I didn't really pack anything for me.

Today is a new day!

I think it might help if I draw up a diet plan so I know what I'm eating for dinner and lunch. (the EFLF menu doesn't always work for my family). Breakfast is pretty predictably eggs around here. I have some left over oxtail soup that will do for lunch, now all I have to do is check out EFLF and figure out dinner.
#5 of 70 Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Ladies it is very true. If you combine this way of eating (not a diet) with exercise, you will see results. I have lost over 100lbs. in a year's time eating Traditional Foods. I didn't follow the EFLF plan by the book, but I read the book, and read Nourishing Traditions, and adopted the basic principles as a change of eating lifestyle. I have been up and down in weight my whole life. Now, I'm wearing the smallest size I ever have. I'm healthy and feel good too. It's really true. My first goal in just starting would be to cut out refined sugar, and white flours. The coconut oil fudge recipe in EFLF is excellent when you need a treat.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#6 of 70 Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM

we're not buying any more junk but i was just wondering, in the meantime, does the fat in ice cream count? i gave away most of our waffles and our agave nectar to freecycler yesterday; i think i'll throw away the rest of the waffles.
#7 of 70 Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM

It's the refined sugar in ice cream that isn't good. Dairy fat is just fine.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#8 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Boy, evenings seem to be where it all falls apart for me. I did really well until dinnertime, we went out to eat with family, pizza for dinner followed by ice cream and brownies.

I really think that I just need to give up sugar flat out (except maybe some honey in my tea-- that helps the coconut go down) and keep careful track of my calories so I am aware of how much I'm eating.

I also didn't get any exercise today. Usually I have a nice 2 hour walk on Sundays when I push the kids to the farmers market. Today we drove to one further away. Well, I think I'll push the kids to our local shopping district tomorrow instead --I'm out of coconut oil!
#9 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
It's the refined sugar in ice cream that isn't good. Dairy fat is just fine.
i was joking.

i've decided i need to give up pretty much all sugar and probably most fruit. i seem to have most of the symptoms for fructose/sugar intolerance. i'm tired of my heart racing when i lay down to try to sleep and i'm tired of freaking out at dd because the sugar has me wound up.

i'm going to go have my 1/4 tsp CO right now! it's not before eating but at least it's a start.
#10 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm here!

I have been trying, with my cast and all to guide Mr Toona in ways that I prefer to eat, but it's been tough. Now that I"M more able, I'm jumping back into this.

I was trying to wake up at 4:30 am to work out, but with the way DD nurses lately, she won't let me out of her touch from say, 3:30 to 5:30 am, so that goes out the window. I'm planning on taking her for walks as many days as I can and getting some weights work in. I can't do much right now with my arm and ankle still on the mend and I don't want to be off balance.

What I'm doing:

1. The CO before meals. This REALLY helps me not feel like I could eat 2-3-4 times what I need. I feel sated much more easily.
2. Avoiding processed grains/sugars/breads etc
3. Eating very moderately anything of a starchy nature. I cannot seem to control my portions on these, so they will be modest and sparing, if not eliminated.
4. Upping the amounts of veggies, including fermented veggies in my diet.
5. Eating before I go to family events and then sticking only to the veggies and water. (There are way too many convenience foods at these gatherings, we are all starchy carbohydrate junkies, it seems).
6. Sticking with kefir making, even though I don't love it. I seem to do ok with a fruity smoothie in the morning (and a hard boiled egg), so I'm trying that route.
7. Upping my activity level. Easier, of course, in the summer time, but I know I need this in my weightloss plan. Otherwise, I fall short of my goals.
8. Steering clear of all hudrogenated/liquid processed fats and of course HFCS.

signature currently in transition
#11 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM

forgot to sub!

signature currently in transition
#12 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Good grief, how did I not know about this thread!

I'm still not sure I can go fully into all the coconut, but I find myself turning to EFLF again and again... will probably be back with more questions/thoughts.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#13 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
Well, I've been trying the coconut oil system half-heartedly--I do coconut oil before meals most days but I'm not eating coconut much other than that and frankly, I've been eating junk lately. So now I want to try it for real and see what it does.

Goals:
Eat more coconut
Eat less grains
Cut out all nasty liquid oils
Eat more organ meats
Make more of the recipes in the book
Get cardio exercise everyday and body shaping every other day.

Anybody want to join?
I am there with you... I'll add what I'm doing:
-Made a small batch of Mary's Oil blend and then made the basic dressing... trying to get in lots of salads!
-Working on souring milk to get whey so I can then make mayo and play with making other things that call for whey... though I'm scared to try her ferments, should probably get Wild Fermentation, I read that ages ago.
-Only eating sprouted grain products, though I'm thinking of getting whole wheat crackers too. Can anyone recommend a brand? A friend got me hooked on these rectangle crackers that are basically rye crackers, the ingredients are rye flour, water salt, basically. Any brands to look for? Any such thing as a sprouted cracker?

Dh is watching the girls while I run to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods tonight, in search of sprouted products, organic frozen fruit/veg (to supplement my Farmer's Market stuff and to reduce the likliehood of stuff going bad), some more vinegars, canned wild-caught fish, etc. I'm trying really hard to follow the suggestions.

I'm also out of coconut oil... going to pick up another jar of Nutiva, but I need to order a larger quantity. Can't decide between Tropical Traditions and Mt Rose Herbs... I would like a less coconutty oil, so I'm thinking the later? I am feeling torn, it's such a huge investment.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#14 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
i'll try. i think i may be fructose/sugar intolerant so i'm going to try to cut out vast quantities of fruit. i'm almost done with grains already so i want to:

finish cutting out grains
greatly reduce the amount of fruit i eat at one time
start coconut oil at 1/4 tsp per day (i get palpitations from it)
You get palpitations? REally? I'm curious why! I've recently started having lots of episodes of an irregular heart beat (where it feels like it skips). Is this connected to coconut oil? I only take about 1-2 Tbs right now.

#15 of 70 Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
I am there with you... I'll add what I'm doing:
-Made a small batch of Mary's Oil blend and then made the basic dressing... trying to get in lots of salads!
-Only eating sprouted grain products, though I'm thinking of getting whole wheat crackers too. Can anyone recommend a brand? A friend got me hooked on these rectangle crackers that are basically rye crackers, the ingredients are rye flour, water salt, basically. Any brands to look for? Any such thing as a sprouted cracker?

I'm also out of coconut oil... going to pick up another jar of Nutiva, but I need to order a larger quantity. Can't decide between Tropical Traditions and Mt Rose Herbs... I would like a less coconutty oil, so I'm thinking the later? I am feeling torn, it's such a huge investment.
I think the crackers you're talking about are rye crisps? It think that EFLF recommends WASA's sourdough rye version. I LOVE the fruit and nut version but I don't think it's recommended (awesome with brie though).

I haven't made the Mary's oil blend yet. I really should. I am planning on starting some beet kvass and some bacon grease mayo today. I should start some grains sprouting for crackers and tortillas. I love the flavor of sprouted bread products.

I should really order a larger quantity of coconut oil too, it does seem so expensive that I cringe at it. I certainly seem to keep going through it, though.
#16 of 70 Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 AM

It helps to break it down and realize how much you actually save by buying the larger container. Do you have any friends or family members that might want some?

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#17 of 70 Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
It helps to break it down and realize how much you actually save by buying the larger container. Do you have any friends or family members that might want some?
No, they all think that I'm insane.

Does anyone know if somewhere in EFLF there are more specific proportions of fat/carb/protein intake than '50% fat or more'? Because that's as specific as I've been able to find. Since I'm not doing the EFLF menu's I'm trying to make sure that I'm at least getting reasonably similar proportions.

I still need to up my coconut intake (other than the oil before meals) but I did really well with not eating sugar yesterday and (so far) today.

I made mayo and that went really well. I still need to start my beet kvass and make up some more bone broth.

How's everybody else doing?
#18 of 70 Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM

I don't own EFLF yet, but I'm here to take notes if that's okay!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#19 of 70 Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm hoping to make mayo soon... I just finished making cream cheese/whey. I wanted the whey so that when I go to the trouble of making mayo it will last longer.

I am NOT strickly following the EFLF diet and like I said haven't added the CO as much as I should... here's what I ate yesterday:

Coffee with coconut oil, Scrambled eggs (butter) & cantelope with sea salt (and CLO too)
Wasa Sourdough Crackers (found them!) with herbed cream cheese and a banana (lunch at a kid's jumping place...)
I was actually a bit hungry around 3 pm and since we eat at 6:30 when dh gets home I decided to have a mini-meal... so I had a sprouted bagel and butter 'cause that's what appealed to me... oh and some raw milk.
Dinner was wild salmon baked with butter, snow peas, corn and a small serving of rice...

I'm focusing now on the 3 servings of calcium-rich foods (i.e. dairy)... guess I came up a bit short yesterday. Also reducing grains and only eating properly-prepared grains... 2.5 servings of grains is a LOT less than I'm used to, honestly, I was probably getting 5-7 servings of grains before this. But I must be doing something right... I felt absolutely satisfied after dinner last night (the salmon was SO yummy!) I'm down another lb this morning... I'm weighing myself every morning because it helps me focus and make better choices throughout the day.

So, I have a ways to go, I know I can/should add fermented foods, more CO, etc. Wish I had eaten a salad yesterday, etc. But I'm reminding myself every day is different.

Also, I keep reading EFLF and having "Ah ha!" moments. Like the reason FOR Mary's Oil blend... etc.

#20 of 70 Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I found out I can get a 59 oz container of Nutiva through Frontier for $22... I think I'm going to do that! My dh is a little sensitive to the coconut taste, though so I probably still need to find a more tasteless coconut oil... I basically need to choose an oil to replace the veg/corn oil that I used to use in cooking.

#21 of 70 Old 05-06-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I found out I can get a 59 oz container of Nutiva through Frontier for $22... I think I'm going to do that! My dh is a little sensitive to the coconut taste, though so I probably still need to find a more tasteless coconut oil... I basically need to choose an oil to replace the veg/corn oil that I used to use in cooking.
Excellent, I'll check out Frontier.

Well, I lost 2 lbs, but I think that's because I ate too much fat yesterday at lunch and ended up throwing up. Yurk

However, I'm adding in the ACV morning and night and I WILL make beet kvass today, so that should help with digesting fat. I'm very committed to the CO though, I love the fact that when I eat it I can just say no to sweets.
#22 of 70 Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Tropical Traditions has their gallon coconut oil for 50% off until tomorrow. That's $49 a gallon.

I like the sound of their product and I really like their patchouli scented shampoo bars. I'm very tempted but that's a lot more expensive than the Nutiva.
#23 of 70 Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 AM

I love Frontier, but I also love Trop Traditions! I have bought from both and really like having a gallon of the TT oil around. Just saying.

Made some awesome Salmon Cakes tonight for dinner. I am not really doing the EFLF diet per se, but have moved towards a Traditional Foods lifestyle over the past year or so and am trying to shed some pounds. I know that I need to 1-eat less and 2- move more. lol I do have tendencies to start wanting to lower fat and be all Food Pyramid-y when I lose weight so I am fighting that. I just want moderation.

Rambly because I am tired. Will try to post more clearly tomorrow.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#24 of 70 Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Okay, PMSing... this is normally not a good eating time for me, I'm an emotional eater! This is the time of month when I end up getting some terrible drink from Starbucks or my beloved CFA milkshakes (which I have NOT been missing, thankfully...)

I am feeling a little like hmmmm I wanted something after dinner tonight, which normally has not been the case. It's a slight hunger thing, my lunch was kind of paltry today (can't carbo load anymore, not as stocked as I could be) though dinner was good (triggerfish "scampi", roasted green beans, buttered new potatoes and a taste of some brown rice pilaf.) Anyway, I decided to treat myself to a cup of raw milk with a shot of vanilla and maple syrup.

How is everyone else doing?

#25 of 70 Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

PMSing here too.

I was craving sweets but instead of going for the chocolate bar I had some chocolate in my raw milk and ate a coconut oil nut butter ball. I'm feeling sated now. If I brush my teeth I'll probably avoid eating anything else until I go to bed.

I still haven't started the beet kvass but I have been doing ACV am and pm. I'm also getting my exercise in and tend to be eating quite well. I think I'm averaging about 2000 calories but I'm making them all count.

We had meatloaf for dinner and I threw in a cup of chopped liver --my family LOVED it! I told my DH what was in it and he looked a bit freaked but he went back for seconds anyway. I really am trying to get more organ meats into my diet.
#26 of 70 Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM

hey guys, I just wanted to ask about the heart palpitations from CO? I have gone back to taking it every day and noticed that I have had them a couple times since I started? Never happened b4, or maybe it did and I didn't connect the two because Ihadn't heard of it b4.

Anyone know why this is?

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#27 of 70 Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
PMSing here too.

I was craving sweets but instead of going for the chocolate bar I had some chocolate in my raw milk and ate a coconut oil nut butter ball. I'm feeling sated now. If I brush my teeth I'll probably avoid eating anything else until I go to bed.

I still haven't started the beet kvass but I have been doing ACV am and pm. I'm also getting my exercise in and tend to be eating quite well. I think I'm averaging about 2000 calories but I'm making them all count.

We had meatloaf for dinner and I threw in a cup of chopped liver --my family LOVED it! I told my DH what was in it and he looked a bit freaked but he went back for seconds anyway. I really am trying to get more organ meats into my diet.
Did you post the coconut oil nut butter ball recipe somewhere? I know I've seen a choc recipe I think.

That's great about the chopped liver. I might try that too... I have grass-fed ground beef that is really lean, it might actually help.

#28 of 70 Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
hey guys, I just wanted to ask about the heart palpitations from CO? I have gone back to taking it every day and noticed that I have had them a couple times since I started? Never happened b4, or maybe it did and I didn't connect the two because Ihadn't heard of it b4.

Anyone know why this is?
I googled endlessly... couldn't find any info about coconut relating to heart palpitations. *scratching head* I found enough positive info that I decided to carry on with CO and hope to increase it. I've also started with Natural Calm for the magnesium. It's getting better for me, I'm starting to wonder if they are hormonal actually. Started midway through my cycle, now today started AF and my heart seems to have settled down. very odd!

#29 of 70 Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I googled endlessly... couldn't find any info about coconut relating to heart palpitations. *scratching head* I found enough positive info that I decided to carry on with CO and hope to increase it. I've also started with Natural Calm for the magnesium. It's getting better for me, I'm starting to wonder if they are hormonal actually. Started midway through my cycle, now today started AF and my heart seems to have settled down. very odd!
I couldn't find any info but I found tons of anecdotal information about people experiencing palpitations while taking CO. I wonder if it's the metabolism increasing effect? Magnesium seems like a good idea.

I got the nut butter ball recipe from..... hmmm. I think it might have been in the TF forum, I don't remember exactly where.

Melt 1 C nut butter
1/2 C CO
add honey to taste
and I throw in cocoa powder because I have a chocolate thing.

Then you have to chill it so that the stuff is workable. Roll it into balls and roll those in coconut, keep in the fridge.

I've done it with a different nut butter each time. So far everybody liked hazelnut best.
#30 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I'm riding the junk food train. Pizza two days in a row with ice cream!

And today is Mother's day so I have to do a family brunch thing. I'll at least get in a good breakfast and a long walk this morning and I have dinner planned so that will be healthy at least. Family brunches generally include meat and fruit so I think if I just concentrate there I'll be ok.

I lost 3 lbs this week! I hope I can keep it up!

User Tag List