Post-baby saggy, baggy belly skin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can feel my abs getting back to normal and starting to firm up, but my belly is still a bunch of loose, saggy, elephant-looking skin. Are there any good ways to get this area back to normal, or does it just take time? It was nothing like this after my first baby, and I started out weighing less and gained less with this last pregnancy. I realize it has only been 4.5 months, but I need some hope. I'm back to my pre-pg weight, which is very motivating, but this baggy tummy skin thing has got to go.
#2 of 33 Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM

IME it just takes time. You can use some moisturizer, but excess skin just needs time to shrink back.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Just don't get into pushup position and look down at your stomach.

It takes time and may not be 'just like before'.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb;13723458[B
]Just don't get into pushup position and look down at your stomach. [/B]

It takes time and may not be 'just like before'.
No doubt!
#5 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Just don't get into pushup position and look down at your stomach.
Ya, and do not even look after 6 years!

For real, extra skin is not going to come off. If you have extra body fat you can make steps to lose that and it will be flat but the extra skin does not go anywhere without surgery. It is genetics, size of baby your carried and all that.
#6 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah. Nobody told me about this. There's a Tummy Tuck oil that I bought but it was a joke. Or maybe it's just that I only used it like 4 times

I am sad, but no more bikini times for me unless it's just me and dh.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#7 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Noooooo!!! This is not what I want to hear.
#8 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Noooooo!!! This is not what I want to hear.
:

I was just going to ask this question and if anybody is trying to get flat abs. I really hope my belly go back and it can be flat and look good or decent.
#9 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Well I don't know. As i've stated in a few different threads, i went from 220 after pregnancy to now very fit and bodybuilding. I literally have almost *no* skin. If I lean over and look at my lower abs, I have faint stretch mark scars like way low, just above my pubic bone, and the skin is every so slightly not as tight as the rest of me. I'm working on getting my body fat down and putting on a few more pounds of muscle and my trainer thinks it will shape up the rest of the way. I want to see some skin, I can show you some LOL, i'm not joking about how much i weighed. It CAN be done. Sure sometimes there are just times you will have a little skin, but usually it's in a place covered by bikini underwear and doesn't need to sag!! It depends how hard you work. I am really inspired at my gym to talk to mothers getting in shape because I HAVE been there! I changed my routine so i have one day of intense core training, and I'm expecting this to shape up my mid section further so I can see my ab muscles better.

It depends how determined you are. The problem is you cannot "fix" ONE area of your body. You have to work at all of it. You can work your core section harder to build strong muscles and that WILL help a lot. IT's kind of joked about here all the bodily issues that come with motherhood, but I'm really serious about fitness. It depends on the individual's goal. I don't think there is anything wrong with NOT caring about being in perfect shape or working out hard, but it's also not vein or wrong to look the best you can if THAT is your goal, you know? I think everyone is beautiful no matter what their looks, but for me body building is a hobby
#10 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM

I don't think it's a matter of time. I think it's something that will need to be worked at. There are plenty of excercises that can help you focus on that particular area. Some can be used with an exercise ball and only take a few minutes, a few reps at a time.
#11 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure if my belly will ever be like it was pre-pregnancy but I am determined to make it the best it can possibly be. I agree with 425LisaMarie, it will take a lot of hard work and, I think, time. I can already see a difference after 4 months of working out and doing yoga. I would love my belly to be flat again but I'm more interested in being strong and in shape. I keep my fingers crossed that the rest will follow.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#12 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Well I don't know. As i've stated in a few different threads, i went from 220 after pregnancy to now very fit and bodybuilding. I literally have almost *no* skin. If I lean over and look at my lower abs, I have faint stretch mark scars like way low, just above my pubic bone, and the skin is every so slightly not as tight as the rest of me. I'm working on getting my body fat down and putting on a few more pounds of muscle and my trainer thinks it will shape up the rest of the way. I want to see some skin, I can show you some LOL, i'm not joking about how much i weighed. It CAN be done. Sure sometimes there are just times you will have a little skin, but usually it's in a place covered by bikini underwear and doesn't need to sag!! It depends how hard you work. I am really inspired at my gym to talk to mothers getting in shape because I HAVE been there! I changed my routine so i have one day of intense core training, and I'm expecting this to shape up my mid section further so I can see my ab muscles better.

It depends how determined you are. The problem is you cannot "fix" ONE area of your body. You have to work at all of it. You can work your core section harder to build strong muscles and that WILL help a lot. IT's kind of joked about here all the bodily issues that come with motherhood, but I'm really serious about fitness. It depends on the individual's goal. I don't think there is anything wrong with NOT caring about being in perfect shape or working out hard, but it's also not vein or wrong to look the best you can if THAT is your goal, you know? I think everyone is beautiful no matter what their looks, but for me body building is a hobby
Can you gave us a basic routine that would help. Right now I am doing some ab workouts and a little cardio. How much times a week would be ideal. I am not sure if I am trying to reach an impossible goal but I was looking at 2-3months of working out to get tone and a flat stomach.
#13 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM

425lisamarie- If you do not mind me asking what body fat % are you at?

I am in the 18% and still have quite a bit of skin/fat? around my tummy area. I am 108pds and 5'1. I lift 3 X a week and do aerobics 4 X per week and with the aerobics I add in a core workout 1 X a week.
Would love any advice.
#14 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
But... but... I mean, my whole belly is COVERED in stretch marks. My mom was *much* thinner than I was, but her same stretchmarks just sag down. For me it's not a question of just "extra skin" but of "stretch marked extra skin" which - the stretch marks arent going to shrink back, though maybe the rest of the skin will a little. I guess I expect *some* of mine to eventually shrink back, but I'll always have that little lop-over thing because of all the darn stretchmarks.

I'd love to hear that I'm crazy and that stretchmarks going way up to several inches above your belly button will all go back, though...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#15 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Dorian- my advice would be to try to gain some muscle. I know that when I was at my leanest, when I actually gained a little weight with muscle it really helped the extra skin.

Right now, I am so far from that it's not funny, but oh well. I will get there again. ;-)

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#16 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
Dorian- my advice would be to try to gain some muscle. I know that when I was at my leanest, when I actually gained a little weight with muscle it really helped the extra skin.

Right now, I am so far from that it's not funny, but oh well. I will get there again. ;-)
I am actually fairly muscular/toned. I mean I am working on getting more muscle but I feel very fit.
#17 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I realized that. I am just saying maybe a similar body fat % but 113 or so is where you could be, and the skin would be tighter, you know?

nak sorry

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#18 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
I realized that. I am just saying maybe a similar body fat % but 113 or so is where you could be, and the skin would be tighter, you know?
nak sorry
Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good idea. Lots of work, but a good idea.
#19 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Come on gals! It makes me sad to see you all feel so badly about your bodies.

Know what, why not try and go get that bikini?! Or get whatever it is you like to wear without worrying if it looks "right" (whatever that means exactly). If more women actually showed what they look like instead of hiding it (underneath special panels or spanx or god knows what else), maybe less of us would be self-concious. Maybe less of us would think we look wrong/bad/too fat/ too much skin/who knows what.

I've had (non-birth related) stretch marks since puberty. By now, they're just adding to the fun.

My cure for the worries:

We all have been out to a beach or some place and have seen a very big man wearing something like speedos, who hasn't a care in the world about how he looks or what others think of him. I often marveled at this, until I decided he's got it right! Wear what you like and pshaw to the rest.

signature currently in transition
#20 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Teenytoona- I am not feeling bad about my body in the least. I am very proud of my body and actually embrace my motherhood tattoos (stretch marks). But if I can have less saggy skin that would be sweet with all the exercise I do to keep fit I am just surprised as how it has hung on.
#21 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Has nothing to do with sulking feeling bad teenytoona. That's the problem I have with speaking about body fitness here. It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. I can look at an overweight person who is relatively healthy, so long as she's moving and not living on crap, but maybe just not concerned with changing anything; and think "wow, what a beautiful woman. I can also look at a person who looks "perfect" has a good attitude and thing "wow, what a beautiful woman. It's attitude, goals, intentions in life, what you want to achieve, what matters to you, etc etc. We ALL have different goals. It doesn't matter that some of us don't care to change the way we look, and it doesn't matter if some of us DO care. I wish I had a green thumb, but I don't care enough to work at it . Seriously though, you can be plenty healthy and not look like a fitness model, but so what if some of us want to improve the way we in OUR mind LOOK.

So to anyone who was inquiring in this thread....I am meeting my trainer tomorrow for a new more intense core workout and i would be glad to post how it goes and what new I have learned and list several exercises.

In regards to my bodyfat it's at 16% right now, and I weigh 129. I'm only trying to lower this for a personal goal and I'm thinking of in the future entering a contest just for fun....not for at least a year or two because I've never left my kids over night
#22 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

You know what it has to do with for me? Fitting into my old clothes that I love. I'm down to my pre-pg size and weight, but this extra skin takes up extra space and is keeping my pants from buttoning and zipping. If that skin would shrink I'd be able to wear all of my clothes and not need to buy new ones.
#23 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM

425lisamarie- That is awesome, I look forward to an update on your meeting.

BTW- I want to see before and after photos of you! Sounds to me like you have worked your bum off.
#24 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm at a healthy weight, work out (cardio, free weights and lots of yoga) and I look great with clothes on. My tummy has reached a stage of life, though, where it only needs to be seen by some one who loves me. I'm in my 40's and the only women I know my age who wear bikinis have had tummy tucks (and many have had their boobs done as well).

Here's a link to a great article on what "fit" looks like:

http://www.stumptuous.com/why-dont-y...-fitness-model

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#25 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
425lisamarie- That is awesome, I look forward to an update on your meeting.

BTW- I want to see before and after photos of you! Sounds to me like you have worked your bum off.
I don't have posed pictures of my after yet, but I am going to take some where I'm at now, and in 10 weeks. I don't have the means to take any pictures of myself right now my camera is at my mom's but if anyone cares I'll post a pic of me when DS was a baby, DD was a baby and recently in regular clothes. I'll try to find a couple really quick!
#26 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I don't have posed pictures of my after yet, but I am going to take some where I'm at now, and in 10 weeks. I don't have the means to take any pictures of myself right now my camera is at my mom's but if anyone cares I'll post a pic of me when DS was a baby, DD was a baby and recently in regular clothes. I'll try to find a couple really quick!
I want to see, it must be a huge difference.
#27 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Oh here's the thread LOL.....when i went back to try to post a pic I didn't see this thread...I'm blind. So I started a thread look down a few!
#28 of 33 Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
You know what it has to do with for me? Fitting into my old clothes that I love. I'm down to my pre-pg size and weight, but this extra skin takes up extra space and is keeping my pants from buttoning and zipping. If that skin would shrink I'd be able to wear all of my clothes and not need to buy new ones.
Yeah. Exactly that. And also, I think smooth tummies are attractive and I miss mine.

I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I work out. My abs are nice, probably even nicer than pre-pregnancy. But I have globs of loose skin. I don't suffer from self-esteem issues when I say it's gross and unsightly. Motherhood is amazing and I love the way it's changed my body in all the ways except nasty skin sag. Eww.

What's sad is I really hoped to be like my mom and so far in everything pregnancy related I have been the opposite. She had a sweet deal going w/ easy, short labors, quick recovery...heck, after her 4th kid, she was supermodel pretty around the midsection. Wah!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#29 of 33 Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Has nothing to do with sulking feeling bad teenytoona. That's the problem I have with speaking about body fitness here. It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. I can look at an overweight person who is relatively healthy, so long as she's moving and not living on crap, but maybe just not concerned with changing anything; and think "wow, what a beautiful woman. I can also look at a person who looks "perfect" has a good attitude and thing "wow, what a beautiful woman. It's attitude, goals, intentions in life, what you want to achieve, what matters to you, etc etc. We ALL have different goals. It doesn't matter that some of us don't care to change the way we look, and it doesn't matter if some of us DO care. I wish I had a green thumb, but I don't care enough to work at it . Seriously though, you can be plenty healthy and not look like a fitness model, but so what if some of us want to improve the way we in OUR mind LOOK.

I wasn't referring to you, actually. I was referring to the moms who said things like "guess there's no more bikini" and such. No need to be on the defensive.

Digging the Stumptuous article, Linda!

signature currently in transition
#30 of 33 Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I'm at a healthy weight, work out (cardio, free weights and lots of yoga) and I look great with clothes on. My tummy has reached a stage of life, though, where it only needs to be seen by some one who loves me. I'm in my 40's and the only women I know my age who wear bikinis have had tummy tucks (and many have had their boobs done as well).

Here's a link to a great article on what "fit" looks like:

http://www.stumptuous.com/why-dont-y...-fitness-model

Love the pictures of real active women Linda that's great. I'm going to try my bikini on today!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page