WANTED - healthy tips on working overnight shift - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all!
i will be starting the overnight shift soon, my hours will be from 10pm - 6:30am, off thurs and fri night. this will be my first time working overnights, and i am unsure as to how long this will last (hopefully not till the end of the year).

i had a miscarriage in december and feel like i have finally gotten my personal health in order. i am at a weight that i am happy with and i feel good about the foods that i am eating. i am a little nervous about starting overnights since i'm unsure as to how this will affect my body. i know a routine is important and i feel like it wouldn't be too much of an issue if i was single, but i DO want to spend time with my husband =) health and fitness are important to me, and i work out at least 6 days a week.

if you can offer any tips, i would really appreciate it. i am particularly interested in how you handle your days off (when you sleep and eat, how you feel) and transitioning back to your schedule.

thank you!

mama to scarlett born 9/1/10
#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 AM

I don't work all night like you will but I work from 6 pm until I am done with my work sometimes thats 1 am sometimes 4 am. I wake up around noon (luckily my baby is on the same page as I am) and work out after he eats, then make more of a lunch than a breakfast, then get my dinner ready for work (I don't leave and I take my baby with me to work) and on days off I wake up at noon cook breakfast for me and DH and then eat a snack and then dinner. I hope this helps! And for what its worth I LOVE working at night :
#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Does anyone else work at night? I would be interested in tips for staying healthy during third shift as well.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2009, 12:11 AM

Perfect timing... I, too, am going to start working night shift again in a few weeks- 3 12 hr shifts a week. I am worried that I will eat too much, wonder when I will fit in exercise.

I am anxiously waiting to see if any others have tips!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 AM

bump

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Keep the same sleep schedule on your nights off. Having worked nights both ways, I can tell you that the most exhausting thing you can do is sleeping during the nights you have off.

Also, get a light-blocking shade for your bedroom, or at least an eye mask.

And get outside during daylight.
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

As one who works til midnight with the occ overnight here and there, I really rec having a good dinner and keeping a water bottle full. Keeps me from getting munchies.
#8 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM

i also work at night and its hard to keep track on my eating schedules. i usually get tired whenever im working and i dont get hungry when im not working that is during the day.. sometimes i even forget what day it is.. it helps when you have someone to remind you that is already time to eat and someone who'll prepare your lunch dinner breakfast and snacks..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page