Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gaye, consider yourself kicked. But it's okay to have a down day too. You've got a lot going on right now. Cut yourself some slack .

Welcome (back) materfamilias! Your upcoming 5K looks like fun!

Penelope, I'm so sorry about your FIL.

RM ~ you can borrow my compression socks for Kenya, if you'd like . I actually want to keep them because I think they'd feel really good after a long run. Let me know if you'd like them for Kenya though and I'll ship 'em out.

Today is Boot Camp, so I'm getting ready to get my fanny kicked. And looking forward to it .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#302 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Penelope

Aristotle did a lot of things. I put this question on my final:
Quote:
Put the following people in chronological order, from oldest to youngest: Kepler, Galileo, Copernicus, Ptolemy, Newton, Aristotle. If you know each individual’s contribution, you should be able to reason this out. (Two of these people have almost identical life spans – either order is acceptable)
Wanna guess how many students said Aristotle came after Copernicus? Lots, of course, 'cuz he has to be in the 16th century to found the Lutheran Church!

Ug.

Back to grading.
#303 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM

My dh is still out of town grading those darn ap exams. He's been there since Thursday. Yesterday was a test-drive of the swim lessons/babysitting service/swimlessons routine yesterday. Today I will be actualy running on the treadmill during the babysitting time. I should get 2 x 20 minute blocks because neither kid has swim lessons at the same time.

Wave to everyone else, I'm keeping my head above water in our crazy transitional week (end of school, end of child care + dh goes out of town and simulataneously has an interview).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#304 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Penelope..so sorry for your loss.

Geo..oh man..I laughed at the answer, but at the same time..arghh..how frustrating to get completely off the mark dumb answers.
#305 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Wanna guess how many students said Aristotle came after Copernicus? Lots, of course, 'cuz he has to be in the 16th century to found the Lutheran Church!

Ug.

Back to grading.

It's as though there's an alternate universe in which Aristotle is dramatically misplaced in time, and you have to be 20 to participate in this universe...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#306 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM

penelope~ so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got some runs in during that time to help you out.

RR: didn't run this am yet, feeling "fat" no matter what I do. on a good note though, I've been cutting out sugary things, and feeling better about it. Enjoying natural sweetness of fresh fruits instead (always with some protien to keep blood sugar even) and now I'm not craving chocolate.

off to shower, then swim, home to do some more cleaning and organizing. Then maybe TM and weights.

and : to you ladies!!
#307 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Nice job, RM. I aspire to your level of discipline.

Geo...what can one say, really? I remember the one final I attempted to bs in college. It was sooooo not good. But a good lesson.

I slept in. I stayed up "late" last night working on a project, and I have my work cut out for me today. I'm assuming I'll be called for the meeting if they have it, and I have a couple projects to write, and I also will be running on the tm. AF came this week, so now I am feeling lean and mean. This is the first of dh's trips in a long time where I have not stayed up too late every evening and ended up spending my time with food. I have not stepped on the scale, but I think I see a difference.

I really want to keep it up to be a better weight in order to haul this body 26.2. Protein and produce are the big secrets. :

Penelope, to you and your dh.
#308 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
bec

I talked to Emily last night before she went to bed. She was non-stop chattering. She was having such a good time! My mom was teaching her to finger knit, too!

Jen - There is a really cool fiber festival in Crystal Lake during the summer. That's what, a couple of hours for you? We could meet up there and wander around, go to lunch with the dinglets! Here's the site for it Fiber and Folk Art Fair

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#309 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Ug.

Back to grading.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#310 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Bec - Ooh that looks like fun. I wonder, though, if I'll be on call that weekend since its the weekend I'm back from dingo camping? My guess would be yes, since I'll have been off the previous 2 weekends and we only have 3 docs. If not this year, definitely let me know next year, too.
#311 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
My dh is still out of town grading those darn ap exams. He's been there since Thursday. Yesterday was a test-drive of the swim lessons/babysitting service/swimlessons routine yesterday. Today I will be actualy running on the treadmill during the babysitting time. I should get 2 x 20 minute blocks because neither kid has swim lessons at the same time.

Wave to everyone else, I'm keeping my head above water in our crazy transitional week (end of school, end of child care + dh goes out of town and simulataneously has an interview).
How is it going? <snip, too whiny> I could go on (and did) but suffice it to say I have not run yet today and I miss my dh. I might try dropping a couple of kids at soccer, another at gymnastics, and running with the little two this evening. Or maybe the my poor little guy's nose will dry up during his nap and I can use the treadmill since it will be sunny, hot and muggy with a chance of thunderstorms this evening. I really like a smoothly operating routine.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#312 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM

to you mommajb and kerc with the out of town husbands. I'll be there myself in 10 days when DH leaves for 3 weeks in Wyoming. Not looking forward to that at all. It kills my routine.

Geo, I had to laugh at the Aristotle thing, especially being a Lutheran .

I had a great boot camp workout this morning, and this afternoon DS and DD1 have friends coming over so we'll be busy. Tonight is DH's soccer night and I'm secretly looking forward to putting the kids to bed early-ish and having an hour or so all to myself .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#313 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 03:29 PM

: to those without dhs, with dhs of a different kind and those who just like animated flowers

I'm bailing on my run today. I realized yesterday as I was agonizing about whether to run on my hurt foot or not that if it was any of you I'd say to take a day off and only because it was my training that I was considering going ahead with it. It seems to be feeling better so I'm hopeful that if I give it another 24 hours I can ease the mileage back up in time to 19 miles in a week and a half. I think it is tendonitis and I'm not sure if I should be icing or warming it. I did ice it last night but it didn't feel better but it felt nice in a hot shower. So anyway, it'll be okay right? Right!

academama, Love_My_Babies, memiles, and welcome back materfamilias! It's always nice to see new names and hear new stories about who's here and why!

I'm super jealous of whoever it was that got to buy school uniforms. Ah how I miss those easy days!

Okay, I'm going to post some pictures on my blog and then continue on with yardwork that I've been dying to get to for a long time but which my running keeps pre-empting :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#314 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Didn't get my run yet. : I'm so hung up about being productive that I spent the whole morning getting a paper done...but I did get it done and routing, so at least I can check it off the list. But then I went out and did chores and made lunch for the kids and banished them to the upstairs so I could be ready for my 1:00 teleconference. And guess what? Apparently a delay. Not that I'd get a call to let me know. Here I am half an hour later, could have my miles in already. : And it won't be long before the kids are done with upstairs.

I get my dh back on Friday. He's not having the best trip, either. Looks like he will be around for a month once he's back home, though. So that keeps him here right up to taper time, I think.

Gonna go do something productive...
#315 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Well, I backed myself into a corner. Last night in a moment of insanity/stupidity, I emailed my high-school babysitter to see if she was available for an hour or two this afternoon so I could run while DS naps. I was SO relieved this morning when I hadn't gotten a reply back, and then not twenty minutes after we left the house, my phone dinged that I had an email, and sure enough, she's coming over in an hour and a half. No excuses, now, I guess. I gotta run if I'm paying for it, right? The question now is should I "just" do 6 or try to go for 8? Hmmm...

We had a nice morning at the berry farm with some friends. Of course, once again my child was the ONLY one not covered in berry stains because he refused to even try one. They are sooooooo good, too, the kid has no clue what he's missing. He did enjoy holding the bucket for me and then chasing the chickens around after we ate lunch.

I STILL haven't gotten my A&P book and now have had no communication from the seller since Friday, despite emails yesterday morning and again this morning. I've been trying really hard to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but I told him in this morning's email that if I don't hear back from him by the end of the day, I'm going to have to start a dispute with half/ebay. And I'm going to have to re-order the book from a different seller and hope they ship it promptly. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#316 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM

penelope - I'm so sorry about your FIL.

towson - I hope you made it through yesterday ok.

plady - very wise to take a rest day. Why is it so hard to take our own advice sometimes? Have you tried rolling the heck out of the front of your legs in case the pain is originating higher up?

My baby is 6 today. sigh. It seems like only yesterday, but at the same time it also seems like forever.

rr: Skipped my run today because that 20 from Sun. left my legs hurting as much as if I'd ran a race.
#317 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Plady, yes. Rest it. You've got the distance licked, if you just stay injury-free. Remember, you're running in the clown brigade. No need for speed, sister.

cfg, good reminder. I am going to go be in the moment with my kids for a while.

...after I get out the chicken, set it and forget it...

My schedule said to run 2 miles. So I walked a quarter, ran 2 at about 9:40, and then walked another quarter, at 7% and 4.5mph. Then I did my bicycle crunches, girly pushups, planks and side planks, and my leg raises...and then a nice backbend, which felt really good. Now my arms are shaky.

Time to put the sheep in. :

Some days, a run changes everything.
#318 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Have you tried rolling the heck out of the front of your legs in case the pain is originating higher up?
Um, no. I did some rolling on my shins a while back and it hurts so bad I thought it was all bruised. I think that was when I rolled to a point that hurt so much I was kind of paralyzed there and couldn't make myself go forward or backward. I guess that all is a pretty strong indicator that that's the place to start huh? I guess I'll do that while I watch WordGirl with the girls.

#319 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Bec - Ooh that looks like fun. I wonder, though, if I'll be on call that weekend since its the weekend I'm back from dingo camping? My guess would be yes, since I'll have been off the previous 2 weekends and we only have 3 docs. If not this year, definitely let me know next year, too.
Will do! Funny thing about your edit. Whenever I send emails from my iPhone, it auto corrects "Bec" to "bed". So, you're not alone!

I got 3 miles in today with dd. But, she was in an 8 year old snit, though and was complaining and whining the entire time. Every part of her body was, apparently, hurting. I was beginning to wonder if I should be taking her whining about her knees seriously, until after we got home and she immediately took off with the neighbor girl, running around the yard (seriously, they were playing tag) for over half an hour. So, I let that mommy guilt go. I did tell her that if she wanted to quit running, then she owed me the money I just shelled out for her good running shoes, and the money that I just shelled out for the entry fee to the 5k she BEGGED me to enter her into. Not my very most patient parenting moment.:

Editing to note that the style on my monitor is back to the old colors. Weird.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#320 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Bec - I could have written that whole story about my dd. I just can't stand that I don't know if she's trying to play me or not until she takes off to play tag or whatever.

#321 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

My athsma seems to be in full flare. I am having to use my rescue inhaler 2x a day plus my maintenance inhaler. I hate it, it makes me feel anxious and jerky.

I want to run. Can I still run? I guess this is a result of headcold residual + allergy or something.

Gah. we don't even have health insurance right now so i can't go see a doctor. :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#322 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM

dh is perfecting his mojito. too. much. rum. good times! hopefully we can share at HBM's party on the 5th? I ran my loop this morning in the humidity, and will do so again tomorrow. much work stress. take care mamas!
#323 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Nic..I don't know what to tell you about running with your asthma flared up. Maybe take a few days off. I know that when mine was bad, that that suffocating feeling is aweful, and trying to breath and go to sleep is somewhat scary. Maybe a day off or so will help it all relax back down. In bad allergy seasons in addition to maintenance, I take 2 puffs of rescue before I start running and that totally helps. In seasons where it's just a little bad, I take one puff. Right now I don't need it. Sometimes, if it's bad, I will run really slowly. It helps me from fighting for breath. Ok, a rambling mess of info.
#324 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM

mb...maybe the too much rum..was all part of his plan!
#325 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Gah. we don't even have health insurance right now so i can't go see a doctor. :
Aren't you married to a doctor? Does he have friends who might be able to help out? Sorry you're feeling so bad.

Must go. One week alone with no help sucks. Period. Must recruit more babysitters next time.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#326 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Nick - I'm not a fan of treating my family members under regular situations, but can't dh get you something for your asthma? Do you use a controller med like a steroid inhaler or singulair in addition to your rescue? Or does he have any favors to call in from primary care docs? (I don't know what bigger cities are like but here in the sticks we see each other's family members for professional courtesy a lot.) And I'd say better not to run if you are wheezing or feeling short of breath.

Geo - Took me a bit to puzzle out Newton, Galileo and Keppler, but I think I got them in the end! I'm confused on how Aristotle gets tied to the Lutherans?

I finally got a little run in. My running partner and I are planning to do 9 tomorrow, so I didn't want to do much tonight, but did want to shake out the legs a bit. Ran 2.67 at dusk, and it felt good. I find that now that I have a pretty good base fitness, when I'm forced into a week off, I feel way rested when I resume running and have to be careful not to run too hard. I kept telling myself to slow down tonight and still managed to be under 9:45 pace. Hopefully, I'll still be feeling good tomorrow for the 9!

I did a first prenatal appt yesterday for one of my older dd's classmates . 14 years old (will be fifteen at delivery.) I've finally gotten used to have clients my oldest child's age, but not the 14 yr old. She's got a long road ahead of her. (and her mama will be a grandma at 33.)
#327 of 776 Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Yikes, drjen. That's scary. And sad.

nic~ I have to concur with drjen, unfortunately. You really shouldn't run until it's under control.

mamabeth~I have a pot of mint growing on my balcony expressly for mojitos this summer. Please share the recipe when it gets perfected! :

I am sitting on the couch drinking coffee and eating fresh-picked strawberries. It's kind of a weird combination, but the strawberries have GOT to be eaten before they go bad, and since DS apparently isn't going to help... Need to get going on some A&P stuff. We only have three days to work on this chapter, which really sucks, especially since I just got the last chapter's assignment done last night. And this is the worst part of the class, talking about biochemistry. I just have little to no interest in it. Yuck. Not to mention that I can't stay up TOO late since I have track bright and early in the morning. Sigh.

OMG...I can't believe I forgot to mention this. So, I think I talked here about going whitewater rafting on Sunday for my best friend's birthday? Well, we all carpooled up together (there were 8 of us) and my friend and her husband invited their personal trainer/friend to come along. Apparently, I made an impression, and he sent a text to them yesterday morning that he enjoyed meeting me! My bf said she thinks he has a crush on me! I don't even know what to do with that!!! Not like it would go anywhere anytime soon anyway, as he's also getting divorced and not final yet, but it's freaking me out just a little bit. He's a nice guy, although not really my type. It's just really really weird to be in this situation!

rr~I got 8 miles in! : It was actually a pretty good 8 miles, too. I was happy with it. I ran a very consistent pace, I felt good, all was well. There was a nice drizzle/light rain on and off which felt really good, although after the first bout it got unbearably humid for a mile or so. I jumped in the ice bath after I ran the babysitter home, so hopefully my legs will be ok for track in the morning...probably not the best idea, doing a long run just over 12 hours before a speed workout, but oh well. What are ya gonna do?

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#328 of 776 Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm confused on how Aristotle gets tied to the Lutherans?
Me too. (Another Lutheran here.) :

AM--Definitely be gentle with yourself. i had high hopes for running through my pregnancy. I ran exactly twice, during week 4, before it became impossible. Given that I had a full-term 4 lbs 9 oz baby, it was probably a blessing in the end that I hadn't.

Geo--good luck getting through grading!

Penelope--I'm sorry to hear about your fil.

kerc & mommjb--hope the week goes fast while you keep your head above water.

tjsmama--yay for your 8!

triathletes: if you wear contacts, how do you manage the swimming without your contacts getting lost or something? Are there some awesome goggles that you use?

RR: I'm going to put in 3 after DH gets off the tm, and then another 4-6 tomorrow. We're flying to NY on Thurs to visit my in-laws. I'd love to get in 3 runs there, but most likely it will only be 2. I finally discovered a rail trail about 2 miles from my in-laws house, but it's heavily wooded and I worry about the possibility for trouble on it, yk? I'm not sure if that's paranoia on my part or what. I don't feel that way at all running on the rail trail near his grandparent's house that's on the other side of NY. Maybe it's the fact that there's an adult bookstore and such just up the street from the trail entrance?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#329 of 776 Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 AM

real~Goggles. Definitely. When I first started swimming, I wore regular old goggles (actually, the 3 pack from costco). Now I wear open water goggles because they have better visibility for swimming in open water, but I wear them in the pool, too.

#330 of 776 Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Geo - Took me a bit to puzzle out Newton, Galileo and Keppler, but I think I got them in the end! I'm confused on how Aristotle gets tied to the Lutherans?
read Penelope's signature. The Lutherans got Aristotled in her final exam, and was somehow mixed up in geocentric models of the solar system on mine.

Grading is done, now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with a bimodal distribution of grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
AM--Definitely be gentle with yourself. i had high hopes for running through my pregnancy. I ran exactly twice, during week 4, before it became impossible. Given that I had a full-term 4 lbs 9 oz baby, it was probably a blessing in the end that I hadn't.
The effects of running in pregnancy is only studied by a few groups out there. The studies that have been done on women with healthy, low risk pregnancies, have shown that there is no measurable effect on the size of the baby, but that the placenta is bigger (? IRRC, it was some form of "more developed"). There were some earlier concerns on baby weight gain resulting from the mom maintaining a higher pulse for a while during exercise (higher mom pulse = higher baby pulse = more energy consumed by baby = slower weight gain), but that seems not to the case.

My arms are sore from goofing around in the pool last night. I need to get a run in, though. Argh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page