Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Penelope--I'm really sorry to hear the news about your fil.

Welcome heart-and-bones! Hopefully your little one will change her mind about the stroller sometime in the next few weeks.

tjsmama--: for insurance! What kind of pictures did your son bring home on the camera? DD got a Fisher Price camera when she was 3-1/2 and she goes through and deletes her own pictures. She takes decent ones, surprisingly, even if they weren't always the ones I'd choose...something about not finding pictures of furniture and close-ups of fabric interesting....

JenLove--hope you can find some middle ground or a good way to balance all of that. I was able to run fine when DD was little (and blissfully, she liked the stroller), but I think I would have flopped if it came to having to balance two other activities that required her staying with someone else. Hang in there--

Love-My-Babies--welcome! I'd probably do the 10k, but my first race ever (and reason for running) was a 10k because I didn't know any better. I don't regret it, but be careful about how you intensify training so you don't get hurt before you run.

Storm clouds are moving in so I should probably hustle out to the garden and pick the lettuce before it's too late. I was really excited to see how big everything in the garden is getting after being away a week. I want to get in a run or bike ride or something tonight, but if the rain does come in I guess it will be on the tm. Also, my behind is still shockingly sore from hiking while DD rode piggyback a couple of days ago. Just thought I'd share.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rest of the hotel story on the blog/facebook. It gets worse. In all, for two nights, I got 10 hours of sleep from 5 am Saturday to now. Phil wants to take the kids to the pool tonight. Ummmmm. No.

My breaking point, it turns out, is a non functioning gas pump off the interstate in Indiana.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Wendy, I think you should go swimming and use up some of that extra adrenaline.

FWIW, I have had a couple of meltdowns when traveling alone with children if the pay-at-the-pump option is broken and most of my melt-downs are in Indiana. :

I really hope you can catch up on some R&R soon. Too bad your free room isn't a free weekend resort trip.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*gulp* Am I a dingo now? I just completed Couch to 5K and am hoping to run my first 5K on Friday. I've been running inside and have a lot more trouble running outside, so I'm preparing myself for the fact that I may have to walk some of it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Wendy, I think you should go swimming and use up some of that extra adrenaline.
The adrenaline was used on the @#$%$ gas pump.

Anyone else seeing browser color changes, or am I hallucinating?

DH and DD went to the pool. DS and I stayed home. He promptly peed on the only carpet we have.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart-n-bones View Post
You could probably get up to 10k distance by then. But do a 5k. Why not? It would be fun, boost your confidence and be a definitely attainable goal. I always have the best luck maintaining my focus and motivation if I set easily attainable goals and take it one step at a time.
This! And welcome!

And welcome again to Annettemarie! Congrats on finishing the couch to 5k! That's how I started running. I love the program.

Lots of new Dingos about!

Wendy - I think you were very restrained, and that gas pump had it coming. No, I don't think you are hallucinating, new colors for MDC, it appears!

Penelope - Sorry to hear about your FIL.

Gaye - Yay, insurance!!! I hope your friend's friend gets her (his?) act together and gets you a new bike, soon! How were classes?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
*gulp* Am I a dingo now? I just completed Couch to 5K and am hoping to run my first 5K on Friday. I've been running inside and have a lot more trouble running outside, so I'm preparing myself for the fact that I may have to walk some of it.
Welcome!

Wait and see about the walking. You might be amazed at how much better you will do in races than on usual training runs. I've heard this from so many people - I guess it's the adrenaline!

: H&B, LoveMyBabies, Welcome to all the new Dingos!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 PM

OK, the first day on the new schedule SUCKED. I got out into the office ten minutes late, got out of the office 40 minutes late and literally met the bus with the car at the driveway. As in, I stopped for the flashing red lights.

Proceeded to spend an hour and a half logged in and more or less just e-mail tail chasing...and now I am scheduled for a phone conference creative meeting tomorrow morning on a subject that's going nowhere in my mind. But that could well be because the kids have been pretty much within arms' reach ("mom, mom, mom...") since we got home. And they have not effectively done any task I have given them. I said collect eggs, they collected 11. I collected another 18 behind them. I said feed bottles, they fed two lambs about half a bottle each. I fed the rest and another to the third. I said bring in the sheep, and they brought in the sheep minus 4. I know they're just kids, but I need them to actually care, and they really aren't fazed that I have to walk behind them finishing everything.

And now I am bummed because I have to drive in to drop dd at daycare tomorrow, and I wanted to get a nice, long run in then...but instead, I have to do a meeting mid-morning.

In fact, I think I might just run early in the AM before school and go to the office for the meeting. Chalk it up to "easing in."

OK, rant done. Pulling up socks now.:

Probably just need a run.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 PM

I logged in to my classes this afternoon, and my head is literally spinning after just reading the introductory info. Holy crap. There's a lot of stuff to do, and I think most of it is kind of busy work. Which I get, being an online class and all, but still. We have to post one new discussion a week and respond to two others for each class. Which doesn't sound that bad, but you have to actually *respond* to them, and I don't really see how that's going to work. The discussions are supposed to be answering some questions about the reading for that week, so I'm not really sure how you can *respond* to someone else's answers. It's not like this is English or philosophy or something, you know? For the most part, the answer is the answer, so how can you really get in depth about agreeing or disagreeing with someone? I don't know, maybe it will become clearer once we get going on it. Gah. I really hope I don't drop off the face of the earth here, but I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed and intimidated already. Sigh.

real~No upsetting pictures on DS's camera, thank goodness. One of STBX, and a handful from the walk they took, but none of the GF, or even really of her house.

annettemarie~ Welcome aboard! And congratulations!!!

jo~ You'll get it. It may just take a few weeks to get a rhythm going.

I didn't notice any color changes. : I had changed from the default gray awhile back tho, because I didn't really like it. Maybe I was just ahead of the curve!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Gaye.. BS may be the answer to alot of that stuff.

Jo..it's the first day. Be a little easy on yourself. I don't work, but maybe rethink going to the office tomorrow, you don't want them to think you can come in whenever like you have nothing better to do. See how it goes. One of my friends cut back to 30 hours, but then ended doing 40 anyway, and had to threaten to quit before they took her seriously.

Welcome new dingoes!

I did a little run today. I have hurt my arm/shoulder somehow and it MUST get better quick for my race on Sat. I just took some advil and rubbed cream on it. I thought it was my bicep, but I think it's my chest shoulder connection or something.

Tomorrow I will bike.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Totally, Annette! Fwiw, I have to walk at least a bit of most runs (long, short, and in-between). I'm learning to modify my pace some so that I just slow wayyyyy down instead, but IMO walking is totally fine if you need to do it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 AM

Race list updated to here.

For the record, GeoFizz wrote the intro we've been copying the last few months - I was just the first to copy it.

Runningmommy - crackles are a sound you here when you listen to lung sounds that generally mean there is fluid in there, commonly caused by things that put fluid there, such as congestive heart failure, pneumonia, inflammation or many, many other things.

Had another baby - 9 lbs 12 oz this time, no shoulder dystocia, but baby born with unexpected cleft lip. A fairly rough labor for this mama (her 3rd baby, but she felt the labor was harder than the other 2) but they are adoring him now and fortunately he so far seems to have no issues sucking and has been nursing well. He was born at 9:38 this am, after I'd been up since 2, and then I worked all day, so I'm wiped to say the least (but not as wiped as Geo!)

Now, I just got off the phone with another client who called thinking she's in early labor. I'm going to try to get a nap quick.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 AM

oh my gosh i am so far behind already! i'll go back and read the posts...i just wanted to post that during my nice run in carmel, i raced my kids for two blocks at the end (they were on bikes) and i see now from my garmin that i was at 9.4 mph it felt good but i don't know how some of y'all keep that pace up for many miles. i'm lucky i made it two blocks!

and then, there was the one time i forgot to stop my garmin and i got back in my car and drove a short distance home. when i downloaded the info i saw that my average pace was around 9.5 mins/mile which i was thrilled with for a few seconds until i realized i hit 30mph at the end of my "run"!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 AM

Subbing... caught up on the May thread, but not the June one yet! :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 AM

Gaye--the discussions look harder than they are. The "respond to two people" is to force discussion because otherwise it dies...and if my spring class was any indication, even that kind of requirement will mean you'll be one of a very few who bothers at all and will get full points and it will be super-easy. Also, the stuff does seem overwhelming at first because you're orienting yourself to a new class and to all you need to know to take the online class, but that's the worst of it. The rest of the semester will be much calmer.

Wendy--that's wild. I hope you get some decent sleep this week.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Jo: one piece of wisdom I think I said a few months ago but was reminded of yesterday. Floortime. I think it's used to help autistic kids, but our Early Childhood family educator suggests using it with ALL kids. Basically the idea is that for 10 or 15 minutes you do child-led play. A parent yesterday talked about how when she gets home from work the kids mob her and instantly she's thinking she wants to do six other things. But she gives in and gives the kids 15 minutes -- and in turn they are able to play on their own for 45 without her needing to answer their every whim.

Jenlove: hugs to you. It sounds like dh is working long hours and that makes training for anything hard.

Geofizz: awww. I'm sorry you had such a crappy trip. Hopefully the science was good. I just can't get over the thing that no one at the desk has the actual key.

Gaye: Discussion in science is hard to do effectively, even with good students. Just remember that if you have a graduate degree you're among the very very few students who might actually be able to discuss. Add to that, you're used to participating in an ongoing discussion online (here) and you're in the very top 1 percent or less. I struggle with leading discussion for the very same reason, particularly in my geology 100 class where I don't do discussion sections in a live class room.

Drjen: what is it about babies in your practice? It seems like they all come in spurts?

Balancin': I'm glad to see you are recovering.

Poppy: I'm LOL at the speed thing. I was running on the treadmill yesterday and was annoyed to be reminded that I was running (hard) at 11 minute miles. I can run for about 10 minutes at that pace but it's super hard.

running related: I ran 2 treadmill miles yesterday, without stopping. Woot! And I also lifted for about 20 minutes.

nonrunning related
: we have 3 days left of school and holy crap behavior is not good. BUT we are VERY into our new scooters (which we just got on Saturday) and that is a nice motivator for my oldest to behave.

hold me in your thoughts. We have some things going on with older dd that I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about publiclly.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Goodness, I'm away from the computer for 24 hours and the whole format has changed, never mind the fact that you've added an entire new page of Dingo posts!

First, for you kerc and for your DD too.

Welcome to all the new running Dingoes too!

I swear, I'm busier now on summer break than I was when school was in session :. I think I was home for a total of 30 minutes yesterday, but we are having a great time! This morning I'm heading to the Y for Boot Camp and I'd like to talk the family into coming with me to the race site so I can pre-ride the bike course this evening. Rumor has it that it starts on a monstrous hill, so I want to test out my gearing so I have everything set up properly in transition.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 AM

kerc, Can't imagine what you might be dealing with, but whatever it is, she's got a best-case mom. And you're right. I just need to rearrange it all into a unit, so I feel less defeated and more like a parent. Thanks.

On that note, I thought hard about how I'll handle today. I am going to do barn chores this morning, get kids ready and dress myself in running clothes, drop them off, then come home and run and do the meeting on the phone...taking Mommabelle's advice.

And mommabelle, my dh got smacked in the bicep by the emu this weekend, and the shoulder seems to be experiencing associated injury. So maybe it's a little of both.

Geo, I could actually feel your overtired-overcaffeinated horror as I read that. The moment of being offered more coffee was where it really kicked in for me. Yuck.

Gaye, I have a friend in school right now and she's got discussion forums for stuff you CAN discuss (police science) and even then, she has said it's pretty contrived and lame. You will start to get to know the class some, though.

Oh and wanted to add WELCOME NEW DINGOS!

And last night I was kind of doing the work math and figured out that once I work out a functional approach to this, I totally can do it. In fact, I should be able to get my time in/work done well enough to be done with the week completely by 2:30 on Thursdays, which will go a long way toward encouraging overall sanity.

So the plan is to run 5 later this morning after dropping kids at school/daycare, then sit through the meeting.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning, dingoes! kerc, and jooj!

My students threw me a suprise party yesterday because they found out I'm moving away. It was so sweet, and they gave me a framed letter telling me how much they appreciate me as well as a framed photo of the class. Sometimes you do get great teaching vibes!

I am very sad about leaving this job. Ah, well. Hoping for good things to come also. At least the weather will be good for year round running

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
and then, there was the one time i forgot to stop my garmin and i got back in my car and drove a short distance home. when i downloaded the info i saw that my average pace was around 9.5 mins/mile which i was thrilled with for a few seconds until i realized i hit 30mph at the end of my "run"!
I think unless the car is dragging you along that it is cheating just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
nonrunning related: we have 3 days left of school and holy crap behavior is not good. BUT we are VERY into our new scooters (which we just got on Saturday) and that is a nice motivator for my oldest to behave.

hold me in your thoughts. We have some things going on with older dd that I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about publiclly.
I needed to hear floor time too. I want to thank you each time I am reminded.

School is almost over for dd1 at which time dd2 will go to summer schedule. I hear you on the behavior. Sometime I chalk hers up to hormones but she has to learn to live with them for the rest of her life so she doesn't get much slack for that excuse. I keep reminding her in every way possible that I expect her to be kind, to me, to herself, to her sisters, etc. It never hurts to be kind.

for you and your dd

RR: 6.4 miles I did check out the new gym yesterday and will be joining at least temporarily. It is not in my comfort zone as I am change averse unless I am in complete control which never happens. Dd3 wouldn't get out from behind me at the childcare so we'll see how that goes when she has a couple of siblings along.

NRR: Given how little I like change the new format bothers me. :

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Kerc-s I'm thinking of you.

Welcome to H&B, LMB and AnnetteMarie! Glad to have ya!

4.25 miles done this morning. I didn't find my groove until about 3.75, so it wasn't my best run, but at least it's done.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
NRR: Given how little I like change the new format bothers me. :
What are you people talking about? I'm a mac user (firefox browser) does that matter? I don't see any change.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Do the dingoes have any ideas of what laptop I should get (this would be a 40th birthday present from all my family put together, and me and dh ).

I am thinking I really want a Macbook, but I have never had a Mac. But dh's laptop (sony vaio) gives him no end of trouble -- he has the new Vista system. Is it hard to 'convert'?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
What are you people talking about? I'm a mac user (firefox browser) does that matter? I don't see any change.
Everything looks the same to me. I'm using a PC with Mozilla Firefox.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM

I am on a 9 yo emac with firefox. I see changes on the homepage and discussion pages.

Before this we had a mac laptop. It wasn't very durable for us but other than wanting a newer, faster computer this one has been a workhorse. Dh is pushing for a pc laptop and a netbook. I like my mac; he says pcs have come a long way since the 1990's and I should save us some money. I was a dedicate pc user/programmer/systems designer prior to children so I can change.

RR: I averaged 8:26 over my 6.45 miles this morning. I am so impressed with my legs as if they aren't really a part of me.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
RR: I averaged 8:26 over my 6.45 miles this morning. I am so impressed with my legs as if they aren't really a part of me.
You crack me up! I feel the same way whenever I manage a fast run.

Nick, have you looked at Dell? We've had two over the years and really like them. It's what DH has at work too. And if it's good enough for the US Air Force..... .

My screen doesn't stretch to fit my wide screen monitor with the new format. I like the colors and stuff, but hate that it's doesn't adjust to fit. It feels like I'm wasting space .

It's supposed to be HOT today, with thunderstorms tonight. Welcome to Indiana, Summer.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
My screen doesn't stretch to fit my wide screen monitor with the new format. I like the colors and stuff, but hate that it's doesn't adjust to fit. It feels like I'm wasting space .
Nor does it scrunch for small screens, or leaving it side-by-side with my programming window (since most MDC surfing is done during my 30-45 seconds of compile time).

Kerc

I got in a fight with DH this morning -- I failed to hold my tongue in watching a poor interaction between him and DD. I got 8 hours of sleep last night, but disrupted by 2 kid wakings, that was evidently my duty because I'd been gone for three nights.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM

Nick ~ We also have a Dell (XPS M1530 to be exact), and I use it as my main computer now and love it!

Oh.. and I do like the new Mothering. I'm using Firefox.

kerc ~ Thinking of you and dd.

Jo ~ Good luck with day #2. Keep us updated.

I'm going to try my hardest to get out for a run today. Really.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM

Another new baby - the mama who called last night was indeed in labor. On the plus side, she did not have a long drawn out labor like my other recent clients have been doing. On the minus side, she wanted an epidural, which the nurse tried to talk her out of since she was going fast, but she really wanted it, so anesthesia came. He put in the epidural really quickly, and bolused it really quickly, trying to get it working before she wanted to push. Then, her BP dropped really low (a common side effect of epidurals) and the baby responded by having his heart rate fall into the 50s and stay there despite all the usual things we do to try to help (IV fluid bolus, moving the mom into multiple different positions, oxygen for mom.) When the heart rate wouldn't come up, fortunately by now she was completely dilated, so we had a quick vacuum assist and baby was born. He was still stunned and needed some help to get going, but was fine in the end. 9 lbs 1 oz (I'm specializing is decent size newborns this week!) The epidural didn't do a thing for pain relief until after the baby was out - and then mom was numb as can be by about 15 minutes after the birth. Baby is very cute, and nursed like a champ. I'm exhausted again - even though she didn't labor long, I was still up in the middle of the night for 4 hours after being up almost the whole night the night before. No more babies today, I hope. They do always come in clumps.

RR - supposed to run 4 easy tonight, but I don't know if I'll be up to running yet.

kerc - thinking of you and dd - I agree with whoever said at least she has a best-case mom.

1jooj - glad you have a plan for the day - it sounds workable.

Geo - I'm glad you made it home safe, even if it meant you were back on night waking duty! I got my race number, thanks!

JenLove - I think it's fine if you don't get to your tri this year, and also okay to go for it if you feel up to it. It won't stay like this forever, though, and eventually you will have more flexibility and time. I always started running again fairly soon after baby, but getting actual training done took a lot longer. Go with your heart on how much to push it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
4.25 miles done this morning. I didn't find my groove until about 3.75, so it wasn't my best run, but at least it's done.
6 miles done this morning and I didn't ever find the groove but after just getting back from a trip I thought I better just do it. I'm trying to make myself run in the humid weather anytime I can catch some humidity up here.LOL Kinda training for next month.
: My hats off to you for running all the time in humid weather

I really like the new formatting, it's a fun change.

Hi to all the newbies!

User Tag List