Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wiped too. It was 95 degrees today and bright, clear sunshine. I think I wilted out there. I did manage to do Boot Camp this morning which included way too many pushups, then took the kids to swim lessons, home for lunch and back to the pool for a couple more hours of just plain swimming. Unfortunately, DD1 threw up on the pool deck so we headed home early. Not sure if she's got my virus, or just drank way too much pool water.

Gaye, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. A tough day to be sure .

Callie ~ my first instinct was gluten too. I know it wreaks havoc on my digestive system. Hope you can figure it all out .

mamabeth ~ glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel. You've been crazy busy!

mommajb ~ go Sheira!!! Must be all those pushups, Mama .

Oh dear, I did not have one of my best AP parent moments this afternoon. Since DH is gone, I've relaxed my TV rules a little to allow an hour after lunch so I can do one hour of uninterrupted cleaning/ washing/ folding/ etc. It's seriously the only way to get everything accomplished without a million interruptions. So I came downstairs after spending my hour vacuuming the entire 2nd floor, folding and putting away 3 loads of laundry, and cleaning DS's furniture and find the livingroom a total shambles. Food everywhere, pillows all over the place, DD2 is laying on the floor, eating a melting popsicle, dripping down her arm onto the rug ! DD1 has spilled a bowl of corn chips onto the floor. And DS, who so kindly has provided his sisters with "snacks" left every package, wrapper, and box out on the counter/floor. I was LIVID. Seriously, I just spent an hour cleaning. So I asked them to pick up their mess and DD1 started grinding her chips INTO the rug with a toy!!!!! OMG! I lost my mind on them. Sent them to the garage. Stormed and screamed and just, ugh. It was so ugly. I feel like, well, crap.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#602 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM

mama. Solo parenting is hard. Our lives aren't set up for it. Our brains can't figure out what is going on. We are grown and struggle so who knows how the kids handle it. Cut yourself some slack and start fresh right now. Do something you can be proud of like a vegetable at dinner and focus on that. Vent here, take photos of the mess and send them to friends, run an exra mile just to have the time alone, and don't sweat the outburst. Your dh didn't see it so he can't tell you 'the dc get it from you' when they have their next outburst. :

Gaye, you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. : Do you have plans for what you will do when the court date is over? Coffee with a friend or a bike ride all planned? Treat yourself well right now.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#603 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Kristina,

Been there, done that, washed the t-shirt. Unfortunately more times than I'd like to admit to.

We all have those moments. I can't remember where I read this (maybe Mothering? ) but the most important thing is that the 'love bank' has more deposits than withdrawals. Sometimes you make a withdrawal (i.e., lose it) but if the bank has a surplus of love-hugs etc. then you're doing fine.

I get that you didn't like the way you reacted, etc. and I'm totally with you on that one. On the other hand it's not the absolute worst thing in the world for the kids to see they crossed a boundary and that keeping the house up is a team sport, not a one-woman job.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#604 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the serial post.

Mama Dingoes, PLEASE say some prayers/ send a good vibe to the Universe for us.

Dh is supposed to get a call tomorrow about a very good job and so far things look pretty good.... :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#605 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Bec, your plan is genius. Write a book about it and make millions!

Callie, I would definitely take her to the ped, but I know my daughter has had a virus hang on for three weeks before--so it's not impossible, as a pp said. I'm sorry she's feeling rotten, though.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the gym for some weights and maybe easy cycling--nothing that's going to make the ankle problem worse!
#606 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 PM

1hautemama, can't wait to hear about your marathon! Good luck! :

JayGee, for the rough day and the spin class instructor. The gait analysis sounds interesting, I should get that done as I have had a lot of knee problems lately. Maybe my Q angle? Never had heard of that before.

calicocj, I hope you figure out what's bothering your DD.

tjsmama, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope you're either covered through the end of the month or get some $ back

Nickarolaberry, thinking good thoughts for your family.

rr: 2 miles in muggy drizzle. I was so sweaty at the end even though it was only 2 miles. Did legs afterward. Not looking forward to the next 3 days, my boss is away and I'm having trouble focusing at work. I have so much to do and so little motivation.
#607 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I felt like Sheira today at Lowe's. I went in to buy several 50 lb bags play sand. After I asked where it is located a teen employee followed me back. I began tossing them up on the cart while he said his mom couldn't do that and he supposed I wouldn't need help loading them in the vehicle.
LOL. I'm the sand hauler in my family as well.

Jaygee It is time to move into serious short-term solo parenting skills:
  • Close off all rooms you aren't using.
  • Pull about 75% of your kids s*it into rubbermaid totes and stick them in the basement.
  • Pull out the paper plates for meals until you can get your groove.
  • Take the kids someplace (anyplace) rather than stay home and clean.
and finally....
give yourself permission to do stuff like TV. But just like how everyone says take a nap when the baby naps...when those kids are watching the crap we put in front of them, we shouldn't be cleaning, of all things. No, that's the time to be readying the trash magazine, knitting, doing your nails, doing whatever it is you do to kick back.

Callie I hope your dd is better soon. Any chance it's stress?

I need a new sunscreen. We used up our old sunscreen last summer (banana boat stuff) and I used to like Neutrogena but you can't easily rub it in -- at least that has been my experience the last two times I've used it. Frankly if I'm going to be all pasty white from the sunscreen then I'm just using zinc oxide, not something that costs twice as much. My dh swears by the bullfrog spray on stuff that he got at a running race. I agree that you don't sweat it off but it took off the paint on my watch today. I don't want that on my skin. Here's the requirements:
  1. water proof for swimming (but not necessarily running because if it's that sunny I ain't doing it)
  2. not terribly icky contents (not taking the paint off my watch)
  3. not terrible smelling
  4. rubs in ok.
Any recommendations?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#608 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 PM

kerc, I have some
1. neutrogena spray spf 70 that doesn't make the kids cough when we use it
2. neutrogena sensitive skin spf 30 that has 9.1% titanium dioxide for the active ingredient but I refuse to read that it is nano-micronized particles and I can't vouch for the 'inactive' ingredients
3. uv natural hand prints all over my van. I cannot rub that stuff in and it never does soak in. It may not kill us but nobody can stand to use it. It does however smell good.

On a totally unrelated note, dh is home and I think I am still going to implement your solo parenting ideas, especially the toting up 75% of everything.

#609 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM

academama - that stinks about your ankle. Did it happen while you were running?

callie - hope it's something simple and easy.

jaygee - sounds like a rough day! How nice of your ds1 to get snacks for everyone, though. I totally agree with kerc. Just rip up that 'to do' list that he left you!

nick - :

Gaye - we'll all be thinking of you, I'm sure.

rr: 7.9 miles w/5x600 @ 5k pace. I averaged 7:03 for the intervals () which is a bit faster than 5k pace. Maybe I'm ready for a PR! My achilles felt only a tad bit tight, so hopefully it's on the mend.
#610 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Jaygee..I have done that before.

I did an upper body workout tonight, and then dd asked if we could go on a cooldown run! There was no way I could turn that down, so we did a mile together.

nick..hope it all goes well!

kerc.. There are two kinds of sunscreen my kids like..I will look at them tomorrow (they are out in the car) and see what kind they are.
#611 of 776 Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 PM

JayGee, I do that kind of thing too. I try to keep them from bringing their $h!t down from their rooms, so then I can pretend the mess doesn't exist. Also, we mostly live only in the kitchen and bedrooms when dh is gone. Too busy to sit on couches or anything. But yeah, I lose it.

Weeded garden until sundown. 9PM is sundown.
#612 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Callie I hope your dd is better soon. Any chance it's stress?
That's what I was thinking too. My dd had a lot of tummy problems when we were preparing to leave Mexico.

JayGee - I'd do that, I've done that and I don't even think it's necessarily a bad idea. I think it's a good thing for kids to see their parents go over the edge sometimes and to realize that their behavior contributed. Seriously, there you are cleaning your brains out and they're making more mess without a second's thought. I bet they'll be a little more mindful for the next few hours. ()

Um, SF Mary ladies? I just did 8 miles of my elevation mimicking run and I came in over 12 min miles again. I thought I was faster this time too but not by much. So, I'm just saying, I'm revising my hoped for finish time back to 'anything short of 6:00.' Will y'all wait for me at the finish? :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#613 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 AM

bec--I love your new plan. I want to do that too.

calicocj--the only thing that came to mind was constipation or a new food allergy. I hope it's something simple.

Gaye--I'll be thinking of you tomorrow too.

JayGee--that totally sounds like something I've done. I liked the part about sending them to the garage. I hope your afternoon improved, at any rate.

Nick--:

kerc--I like the Kiss My Face spray suncreen, but I have no idea how it smells (I can't smell). I've used the Coppertone spray too.

RR: biked DD in the trailer to my sister's, came back solo, decided I could get two miles in before the storms hit. I finished my first mile, it started thundering overhead, and I did some nifty speedwork back (8:54!) and finished two more on the treadmill. Apparently all of my speedwork should be weather-driven.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#614 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
  • Close off all rooms you aren't using.
  • Pull about 75% of your kids s*it into rubbermaid totes and stick them in the basement.
  • Pull out the paper plates for meals until you can get your groove.
  • Take the kids someplace (anyplace) rather than stay home and clean.
and finally....
give yourself permission to do stuff like TV. But just like how everyone says take a nap when the baby naps...when those kids are watching the crap we put in front of them, we shouldn't be cleaning, of all things. No, that's the time to be readying the trash magazine, knitting, doing your nails, doing whatever it is you do to kick back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I think I have a new plan. Hear me out, ladies. I'm going to totally neglect the house, the kids, the laundry and the dog. All I'm going to do is sleep, read, get on the computer and run. How's that sound?
I think these two should be combined in some genius way.

I seriously cannot sleep anymore.

#615 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Plady, my training has all but disintegrated and I don't even know is reb is cleared to run yet. Your goal sounds good to me.

kerc, I like bullfrog spray, but that might take the paint off. It's the only thing that doesn't give me burning face feeling.

Wow. Just typing is making me sweat. :
#616 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM

I'm here. no run since thursday when my legs were so tired. been lifting though. trying to get my coffee kick so I can get motivated to run and lift this AM. dh's garage door woke the kids.

kerc~funny you asked about sunscreen yesterday as dh and I were just talking about needing new. I think the one we have is so old it's not working, as the kids have gotten burned faces for several days in a row, no matter how much I use on them. Thanks for your timing!

mamjb~way to use your muscles!

jaygee~you are a rockin' runner, no matter what someone else thinks you look like!!

gaye~thinking of you today.

1jooj~interesting reading about your animals, especially the bees. what made them swarm? did you have to make the fifth hive?

Paige~thank you so much for your letter!!!!!!!:

plady~can't wait to hear about your marathon, your runs are so inspiring!!

eksmom~how you doing?

back after another a refill....
#617 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Okay, I've got my second and I'm starting to wake up.

jaygee~I don't think anyone is exempt from moments like that, I know I'm not. I think that situation would have set any mom over the edge, I know I would have been pretty upset!

real~funny comment on the weather run. way to go to finish on the TM!!

mamabelle~that's great about running with dd!

cornflake ~ WOW!! speedster!!

Nick~I'll be praying, keep us updated please. Good luck!

ladies, I'm really feeling the desire to go to nursing school. I've got lots to do before it's a reality, but dh totally supports it. he's done with school right before I leave for Kenya, so there will still be one of us in school and one to do more around the house (yeah, let's see if that happens for me ).

If I'm getting any work out in, I better get a move on while it's a good time. to all you ladies,
Lisa
#618 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks Mamas . The funny thing is all 3 children took it upon themselves to straighten the garage while they were out there ! Put the bikes away, swept up the mess from changing cat litter, organized the workbench. Such good kids, in spite of their slightly nutsy Mama! And as a bonus I could park in the garage last night .

Lisa, nursing school sounds like an awesome plan! And it's so great that your DH supports it too. By the way, would you still like to borrow those compression socks for Kenya?

mommajb ~ ! Combining bec and kerc's plans is BRILLIANT!!! Hope you can get some sleep.

Real ~ great speedwork. Maybe we all need to order up a nice thunderstorm at the end of our runs !

Gaye ~ I'll be thinking of you today .

cfg ~ you're getting smoking fast! WTG on those repeats!

Well, I finally managed to get up before the children this morning. They're all snoozing, I'm caffienating and starting my day the way I like . Today is DS's 4 mile bike ride to the playground with the tri camp. I'm driving the "SAG wagon" (ie. our truck) to pick up any of the campers who can't make it. Tonight is open water swimming at the lake! I even hired a babysitter so I can go . Also, the Race Across American (RAAM) bike race comes through Bloomington today and DS is dying to see some of the cyclists go through the timing station that is 5 minutes from our house. The boy is way into cycling right now .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#619 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Woah, they cleaned the garage? I guess they got the point of why you flipped! I read your description to DH, and he said "for me, I wouldn't have put them in the garage. I would have thrown them in the garbahge."

Running tonight. High of 90 today. Ick.

Thinking of you today, Gaye.
#620 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Strange night. Dog, both children and dh all woke me up for some crazy reason. Yet I feel very rested.

to Gaye.

I'm off to buy some fresh fruit for breakfast. mmmm.

#621 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
bec

Jaygee - I have been there, done that. But Woot on the tidied garage. I kick my children out into the backyard. Oh, and I tell them, that if they want to be inside, they have to be cleaning. It gives me some peace, and occasionally some help in cleaning.

It's quarter to 8 and it is already 80 degrees. I was thinking of taking the kids to the track so they can run. But, it is too hot for them. We would be going after swim lessons (after 9:30). It's supposed to be around 90 by that point, and the humidity is still here. I don't want them passing out or dying out there! So, I'm going to bring my running stuff with me, and go to the gym after swimming. Thank goodness it's only 6 miles.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#622 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM

hey mamas....I ran my loop this morning and have concluded that it's crazy hot, and therefore I shouldn't expect my times to be anywhere near normal, and maybe shouldn't even look at my watch til it cools off a little (September? October?). okay????

adding to my personal crazy, dh just left for three days to visit his grandma who has stage 4 cancer. :crazy: so I am into single mom mode, but we are taking our own little side trip for two days. waffles for lunch, anyone???
#623 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
eksmom~how you doing?
RM, thanks for asking. I'm here, reading along, but not running much. I have all the usual excuses for that plus I've been adjusted a 2nd time by the PT and can't do anything physical until tomorrow morning. On the upside, the rain seems to have slacked off so the weeds aren't growing so fast in my garden, which could free up more time for running.

I've been following along with the discussion about DHs, and it's really making me think about the roles in our family. I work FT but do most of my hours from home. DH is a SAHD. DH does almost all of the cooking and he has taken over the grocery shopping (I still make the menu and list). But my work gets neglected a lot and I'm trying to figure out why. I still do most of the laundry, about the same amount of housecleaning, a lot of outside chores, and the nearly the same amount of planning/phone calls/researching etc. And DS still nurses anywhere from 7-11 times every 24 hours, and I have a good many interruptions from the kids during the day. The end result is that I don't feel like I do anything very well - not my job, not mothering. I actually think this might be part of why running has fallen so far down the list. Anyway, my thought process on all of this is slow, so I haven't gotten to figuring out what I might want to change or how. Going into the office FT would mean having DH bring the kids to me twice a day - so a 15-20 minute drive downtown, finding parking, etc. etc. I feel like that's asking a lot of DH and since I have the flexibility to be home, I should be home to make it easier.

Anyway, whoa, where did all that come from? Sorry for .

JayGee, I have been there, done that, too. More times than I'd like to think about. Yay for a straightened-up garage!

Callie, hope you can figure out what is up with your DD, and hope she feels better soon.

Kerc, if the sun comes up at 4 AM, when does it go down?

OK, I actually am the only one home right now so I'd better get cracking. Hopefully the next time I post I will have some forward motion to report.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#624 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM

eks, I hear all that. I am not even FT at work and still it’s a struggle not to neglect my workload. Dh still doesn’t seem to get the difference between working from home and days off. (Because he doesn’t want to.)

I sucked it up and went out to run before work and managed 4 miles. It was already hot and humid, so I am just happy to have run at all. I am going to have to get up really early this weekend for the LR.

Good luck to Gaye today!
#625 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I've been following along with the discussion about DHs, and it's really making me think about the roles in our family. I work FT but do most of my hours from home. DH is a SAHD. DH does almost all of the cooking and he has taken over the grocery shopping (I still make the menu and list). But my work gets neglected a lot and I'm trying to figure out why. I still do most of the laundry, about the same amount of housecleaning, a lot of outside chores, and the nearly the same amount of planning/phone calls/researching etc.
Except for the nursing, and that DH is also a student with a PT job and some minor other differences, we are in the same situation. Something is just not balanced and I have been resentful. DH and I had a great talk on the way back from the ILs so things are better now but I think it will require attention not to slip back into a bad balance.

I bought some NEW RUNNING SHOES! ::: I hadn't realized how broken down my old ones are until I tried on some fresh ones yesterday. I was at the Nike Factory Store and they were only $60. It's kinda a $$ squeeze to buy new ones right now but I don't think I should keep running in my old ones anymore. Bag lunch and homemade coffee for me for a while.
#626 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM

EKSMOM -- remember my cr:zy fall? 1 FT (new job), 0.5 old job, defend dissertation, etc? Yeah, well my dh who tried his very best, just isn't the household manager that I am. We made it through and that's all I can say without launching into a tirade. But we made it through. Your posts recently had me wondering if you could do half time in the office? You'd loose some commute time, but maybe you'd be able to carve out a little Katherine time? Like get all your stuff together, work in the AM then fit in a tiny workout (20 minutes even) before you head home. Be home, be present for an hour or two and then WAH?

Today's sunrise: 5:15 am, sunset: 906pm.

Must jet before kidlets get home from swimming or there will be yet another transition to my day. Joy.

#627 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM

eks it's just hard. I found it about fifty times harder to WAH even though it was good to be there for the nursing. ITA with maybe doing a couple days at the office if you can...you might be surprised, your dh might appreciate it too. I know I liked it better when my dh was out of the house instead of WAH a few times a week. Still do. : AND....THIS TOO SHALL PASS. gets easier once baby 2 is weaned, IME.

trying to get a million (mostly non work related) things done. whew.
#628 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM

And it's over. Funny how 14 years of your life can be dismissed in 20 minutes. Time to move on with my life, I guess...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#629 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM

: for new shoes balancin1!

eksmom, I hope you find a good groove. I was pathetically bad at WAH when I gave a try after #1 was born. Pathetically bad.

The sun feels brutal today and I was out this morning w/o sunscreen so my hives are itchy and growing. I think I'll try some benadryl once I can risk the drowsiness.

#630 of 776 Old 06-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Gaye
: for more joy in your life

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page