Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy smokes! I just downloaded my Garmin, and it says I ran my first 400 at track this morning at a 6:55 pace!!! That seems like it's gotta be a glitch! The rest were right around 8 minute pace. Maybe I burned it all out on the first one? That just seems so FAST.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 PM

think i can get to indianapolis in time? we LOVE wicked - dd and I saw it on broadway with her cousins. such a blast - both of my kids have the entire soundtrack memorized.

t-storms tonight - debating whether to go to the summer racing series tonight.

congrats annettemarie!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 PM

FUN! I'd love to go see Wicked again. Have fun RM!

Sadly, I did not run today, on National Running Day, of all things! I decided to sleep in while I only had dd, and I'm glad...my mom said ds is getting up at 5:30 or 6. Oy. So I'll celebrate tomorrow.

The kids have not been together really for 2 weeks, and they were fine for 30 minutes in the car and then got into it. It took all of my parenting mojo to not scream, but I didn't, and all seems more-or-less well. It was worth it though to get to spend a week with each of them alone!

a horrible thing happened to a high school classmate of mine, don't want to detail it here, but there were three children involved (not hurt physically), so pls keep Sarah's family in your thoughts/prayers.

take care mamas...must go start to figure out some dinner. oh and I have a leetle celebration....I have lost all the Italy weight and a little more, and am inching toward my actual Goal Weight for the first time since ds was born (um, 3.5 years ago).
Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 PM

OH and mamas....does anybody else want to try Drjen's shoes? They are not working for me. I love how the toes feel but the ankle part hurts. They are Brooks Addiction, size 10.5 but fits like a 10 (I usually wear a 9 in normal shoes). Just LMK, I can send them out tomorrow if anybody wants them!!!! PM me if so.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM

No run yet today, which I think is going to mean no run. My body would really like to, though, so maybe I can sneak something in...ugh.

Today was a little better, and I think my supervisor is more understanding than I am. I have my own issues. But the day was solid meetings and over fast. I beat the bus home, which was nice.

But I do feel bad about how the week is panning out. Ds basically missed what would have been his final week at the daycare, and dd's last day (ever) is tomorrow, and I am doing almost nothing about it because I am too swamped. And my childcare situation for a weekend 20-miler is iffy at best.

On the bright side, I have a job. (After more cuts today.)

So. Going to feed some bottles, maybe figure out a way to move this body.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

No run today, I guess.

DH ran errands all day - hooking up dryer and such. Now tonight he's off on a group bike ride and frisbee golf. What's too cold for a 3 month old bundled in a jogger? Well it's not *cold* but it's kinda chilly...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Bundle her up, jenlove. It can't possibly be *that* cold. You need some YOU time!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Oh I envy your chill JenLove! I'm thinking of flaking on my run and taekwondo because it is so HOT! It's 87 degrees in the shade right now! How is that possible! I'm really torn, I'd rather just stay home and go swimming in the pond (Chiara and I went yesterday and it was awesome, the perfect temp, totally not gross, just beautiful) but dh just took off to help someone move a tractor and so there isn't anyone to watch Alison. What to do? I don't want to skip class and then end up sitting in the house (which is what I've been doing all day since it's so HOT) but I don't want to drag the kids to my class which is going to be a steambath and a stinky one at that. Gar.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM
bec

Mamas, can I brag about my Katie? She ran with me for National Running Day! 30 minutes straight (well, 29, but so close), and 2.26 miles, straight!!!!! She did so well! I'm so proud of her!:

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
What's too cold for a 3 month old bundled in a jogger? Well it's not *cold* but it's kinda chilly...
a lot colder than what you've got today. this is why you have all those blankets that people gave you. a sleeping baby can happily ride all the way under a bunch of blankets and stay toasty. not like smothering bunch of blankets, but loosly piled, in a non-smothering sort of way.

i'm exhausted from my workout today. hill repeats on a pretty steep hill. They were short, only 2 mins each. but i'm totally toast. in fact, i don't understand why i'm so tired. guess it's just another indication of how much work lies ahead of me.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Annettemarie, Congratulations! :

Plady, :, I saw the pics of your chicks on fb, sooo cute

JayGee, glad you got a good run in and your knee felt ok.

mamabeth, I'll keep Sarah's family in my thoughts for sure

bec, that's awesome! How fun that you got to run with your dd on National Running Day and that's great she ran 30 min straight :

I did not get to run for National Running Day as it's an off day in my training schedule which I'm trying to follow the best I can. I did do lots of legs and core work but no forward motion. 3 miles on the schedule for tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
What's too cold for a 3 month old bundled in a jogger? Well it's not *cold* but it's kinda chilly...
She's a UP native isn't she? Stick a winter hat on her, a bunting + the blankets. Also let me take this opportunity to say again how grateful I was to the woman in the parking lot 6 years ago who told me to head to target or tjmaxx and buy a down throw sized blanket. In our house it's known as a "running blanket" or"skiing blanket" -- if it gets dirty no biggie because I only paid 8 bucks for it on sale. I throw it in the washer. I'd previously been using a down sleeping bag which I paid over 100 bucks for. 3 months might be too little for the down throw, but 5-6 months surely she'll be big enough.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 PM

somebody posted this over on daily mile

better running through walking

and i can't remember who told me about this galloway method when i was training for the country music half...jaygee? callie? someone mentioned it.

i may be in for this kind of thing with the SF half if i don't get my mileage to go up soon

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
bec

I walked through every water station at both of my half marathons, and I think it is the reason I did as well as I did! I fully intend to do the same with the full!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
somebody posted this over on daily mile

better running through walking

and i can't remember who told me about this galloway method when i was training for the country music half...jaygee? callie? someone mentioned it.

i may be in for this kind of thing with the SF half if i don't get my mileage to go up soon

I've been thinking about this method lately too, thanks for posting the article. I almost bought Galloway's book a few weeks ago but passed it up. I may consider adding some walk breaks to my longer runs when they start. It seems to work for a lot of runners.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 PM

How come a google search for "torture device" doesn't immediately hit on "foam roller"?

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 AM

I my foam roller, although I will freely admit that when I was in PT for my seriously flared up IT band last spring, I cursed the thing every time I saw it. You just have to work through the agony until it gets calmed down enough that it's not so awful.

I also walk through aid stations during half-marys. Up to 10k, I don't bother with the aid station, but obviously, you need something for racing 13.1. And I can't figure out how to drink and run at the same time, so I walk.

I forgot to mention that there was a cute new guy at track this morning. He wasn't wearing a ring, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He was very nice, too. And he drives a BMW, so he must be doing ok for himself.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
bec

Maybe that's how the Galloway method was born! Maybe he is as uncoordinated in drinking water as I am.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 AM

just got back from the track...i worked out as hard as i could but this lingering cold had me very snotty the whole time

and i had some GI distress towards the end of the workout

not my best outing.

gaye - alright! things are looking up at the track!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 AM

Happy birthday Plady!

JenLove--yeah, a blanket will keep her warm. Sometimes I draped a blanket over the top too, or just put the rain cover on if it was really windy. She stayed nice and warm.

Sadly, no running here. I wanted to bike to Jo-Ann's today to pick up some yarn for a hat DD wants but that didn't happen either. First she wanted me to run, not bike (anytime I say "let's run, she'll say "no, let's bike" and vice versa). Then she made about 1,832 demands for food, about something she wanted to see, she needed her behind wiped, more food, etc and suddenly it was 3 pm and very dark to the north and we ended up driving. :

I ended up getting out on my bike just before dark, in light rain, but it was worth it. I've decided we have to structure our days better because I'm going to go insane if our summer stays like this.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Mamas, can I brag about my Katie? She ran with me for National Running Day! 30 minutes straight (well, 29, but so close), and 2.26 miles, straight!!!!! She did so well! I'm so proud of her!:
That's awesome! You must feel like such an awesome role model! You are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
How come a google search for "torture device" doesn't immediately hit on "foam roller"?
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Maybe that's how the Galloway method was born! Maybe he is as uncoordinated in drinking water as I am.
At last year's SJI marathon apparently some of the aid stations were giving out some sort of clear energy drink. The volunteers were telling the runners what was in the cups but I guess not everyone listened because they got lots of complaints from the runners who poured the stuff over their heads

So I ended up going to class and running home and then, best of all, I got a swim in in our pond right after my run (I just kicked off my socks and shoes and dove on in). ahhhhhhhhhh! ::: Then we had a nice dinner - cesar salad with grilled halibut and good presents, including a pair of alpaca socks that are super comfy and an okay cheesecake. Good day

JenLove - I hope you got that run in mama!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 AM

AM - congratulations!

plady - happy birthday!

Gaye - track just got a lot more exciting!

Drinking water at aid stations is all about how you fold the cup, although I tend to walk through them towards the end of halfs when I'm getting tired.

rr: 11 miles w/ the last 7 @ HMP. Since I'm STILL not running outside, I was actually able to sustain HMP on the TM, which I can never do outdoors. I was really intimidated by this run since I realized yesterday that I'd have to go 7.1 mph for HMP. I really didn't think I'd be able to do it, heck, I didn't even know if my TM went that high!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Listening to the speech in Cairo...very emotional for me. Wow. Issue after issue...:

TM run this AM, and that's that.

I still have no phone; just internet. Poor dh is probably worried. I hate the phone and can certainly do without it, but when dh travels...and then when fire trucks and ambulances blow through right before bed...I think maybe a working phone would not be bad.

I was leaving the office yesterday when the staff reduction was happening. Among them are a single mom, a new mom and an expectant mom. I am very thankful that my weekend starts today. This is also dd's last day of daycare. They are having an all-day party for her. I didn't think I would be sad, but I am.

bec, how awesome that you and dd ran that far together!

and MB, well done! I swear, this will be my year too!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Bec, how great for you and dd!

Jooj, I feel so bad for those moms/people getting laid off. I'm so glad it wasn't you, but I can empathize with them -- it just sucks.

Gaye, did you talk to him?

Okay now i forgot the rest of my personals.

Anyway I have a nasty headcold and haven't run since last Friday. Which is not good; I feel like I am losing fitness and mileage. I used to run with headcolds, but after the pneumonia last fall I admit I am nervous about it (esp. since headcolds aggravate my athsma). And the weather has been freaky....humid and cool, but it smells, I don't know, moldy outside. Yech. It is pouring rain today anyway so I'm off the hook...maybe some Tae Bo later if I can stop honking for a few minutes.

I the Galloway method. When I first started longer distances (over 6 miles) it was invaluable for me, and I literally set my watch by it (8 mins. run/1 min walk). Actually it wasn't Galloway who turned me on to it but John The Penguin Bingham (in Runner's World...The Penguin Chronicles)--he used to have a virtual 'team' called The Penguin Brigade and we all had neon pink hats so when we went to races, we knew who each other were! It was nifty. Esp. b/c we were all mid-to-back-of-the-pack runners, so it was good company.

Anyway by the time I did the marathon, I was only walking through water stops. But it helped immensely. For the longest time I believed that if I stopped to walk at all, I'd never start running again during a race/run. But now, sometimes I stop and walk for a minute (or to the next driveway, or whatever) if my rhythm goes off or I'm not feeling right, and it almost always rejuvenates me.

Also sometimes I can't figure out my iPod so I have to stop and walk a minute. It's a good excuse anyway...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Bec - Yay for running with your daughter. I hope mine will want to run with me some day... you know, after she learns to walk....
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM

AM Congrats!!! I ran in my last pregnancy until about 28 weeks. I had pretty bad PSD and it made running too painful. I did run a 5k at 24 (? I think) weeks. My time was awful, but I had fun and felt really good about it.

I just "ran" two miles with dd1 (9yo). Poor kiddo, she's working to get stronger/in better shape, but it just doesn't come naturally to her. Pushing herself and working hard doesn't seem to come naturally to her either. She had to stop and walk SO often. Now she's limping around the house because her legs are so sore. She's very dramatic and thinks it's "cute" when she's tired or sore. She actually failed the swim test at the Y yesterday b/c of her dramatic "Oh poor me" crap. The lifeguard told her to come back when she has built up some endurance.

Sorry-that turned into more of a vent than I meant it to be.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
AM
I just "ran" two miles with dd1 (9yo). Poor kiddo, she's working to get stronger/in better shape, but it just doesn't come naturally to her. Pushing herself and working hard doesn't seem to come naturally to her either. She had to stop and walk SO often. Now she's limping around the house because her legs are so sore. She's very dramatic and thinks it's "cute" when she's tired or sore. She actually failed the swim test at the Y yesterday b/c of her dramatic "Oh poor me" crap. The lifeguard told her to come back when she has built up some endurance.

Sorry-that turned into more of a vent than I meant it to be.
Oh, wow, can I ever relate. My oldest dd is like this also. We're working on it, but it's not easy. Unfortunately I also had this as a younger kid, and being that I was not naturally athletic, I just gave up on it (esp. because our school system was very sports-oriented and I wasn't one of the talented ones). It took me until university to get over it and start running. I so don't want my dd to go through this!

I just got a book from paperbackswap by Mark Bloom on kids' running. It's really good and has some nice ideas.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Anyway by the time I did the marathon, I was only walking through water stops. But it helped immensely. For the longest time I believed that if I stopped to walk at all, I'd never start running again during a race/run. But now, sometimes I stop and walk for a minute (or to the next driveway, or whatever) if my rhythm goes off or I'm not feeling right, and it almost always rejuvenates me.

Also sometimes I can't figure out my iPod so I have to stop and walk a minute. It's a good excuse anyway...
I'm so glad you shared that - because I had the same fear about adding any walking to my run. I just thought, if I stop now, the run is over. Now that I am working up to 7 miles and more, I really think that this method could help me out. At least it seems less intimidating if I know I can have a tiny break every now and then.

This reminds me of a short article that is in the current Runners World - that training runs should be 3 min/mile slower than race pace. Isn't that crazy? It sounds soooo slow, and I had no idea! I did that pace calculator that was posted here a few months ago, and even those training paces just seemed way too slow. What I just figured out after reading the RW article is that you don't have to run that slow, you just add in a minute of walking every 10 minutes or so!

So I did my 4.25 miles on a treadmill at the gym yesterday to avoid the heat. Saturday is a planned 7 miler.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
I'm so glad you shared that - because I had the same fear about adding any walking to my run. I just thought, if I stop now, the run is over. Now that I am working up to 7 miles and more, I really think that this method could help me out. At least it seems less intimidating if I know I can have a tiny break every now and then.
I'm the same way! Sometimes when I'm running on the roads around here, I'll pray for a light to change and make me take a break!
Thankfully, it doesn't seem to bother me to start back running again after a short walk break.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Bec ~ that's so great about running with your DD. DS and I went for a 1 miler two nights ago. His endurance needs a little work, but he loves to run! In fact, he's signed up for Kids Tri Camp at the YMCA starting next week and is so excited! They'll go MWF 9-12 for four weeks, culminating in a mini-triathlon. I'm really proud of him .

Mel ~ I train about 2m/m slower than my race pace. I never think I can hit my race pace when I think about my long run pace, but it always comes together in a race. Somehow. I walk waterstops too, but don't take all of them.

Plady ~ I am so envious of you, with a lake to dive into!

I'm starting to worry a little about the water temperatures for my race this weekend. They were around 80, but a week of rain has cooled the water to 71, and it's going to be in the 40s for the next 2 nights ! I don't have a wetsuit. I'm worried about how cold it's going to be in that lake!

Off to take DD2 to her 3 yr. well-child visit .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

User Tag List