Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I only put online material as a supplement -- no in-person lecture substitute.

Maybe the easiest transition would be video streaming of the lecture. I think that would be kind of tough since you don't get the feedback from students. Of course, you also don't have to watch them text, pop their gum, sleep, or pick their noses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I haven't run since Sun now. This was supposed to be a fall back week, but this is kind of ridiculous. My diabetics, pre-eclamptic mama finally had her baby yesterday morning, by cesarean. She did 38 hours of induced labor unmedicated and was an absolute rock star, and her family was wonderful. Her dh and sister helped her all those hours to walk, rock, stand and sway, squat and rest on hands and knees. They fed her and brought her drinks and wiped her face, and held her hands and rubbed her back, and talked her through every intense contraction. We ended up with every thing she didn't want - IVs (needed pitocin, and then magnesium sulfate to prevent seizures since her BP was so high) a foley bulb catheter in the cervix to start dilation, BP cuffs, continuous monitors, and eventually internal monitors, and then finally after 38 hours when she had been 5 cms for 12 hours already, we tried an epidural as a last ditch to see if relaxation would help her dilate further, and then 3 hours after that, finally, a cesarean, which she unfortunately wasn't quite numb enough not to feel (but she didn't want to be put to sleep and miss meeting her baby.) We managed to talk the anesthesiologist into letting both her dh and sister in the room for surgery (a big feat since he was being all "I'm the doctor and I can say no for no reason at all except that I can if I want to") and they held her handsd and soothed her through surgery. Baby was 7 lbs 14 oz (big for 36 weeks exactly!) and gorgeous - and when they brought him to mom and she burst into tears saying "That's my baby!!" I pretty much lost it. It's the first time I've cried in an operating room in years! 6 years of infertility (and the added stress of having started to try to get pregnant shortly after finally being deemed cancer free after 2 years of treatment for a very rare cancer), 2 miscarriages, failed fertility treatments, finally an unexpected spontaneous pregnancy, then all sorts of complications from truly difficult to control diabetes to severe pre-eclampsia, then every intervention we could think of - but finally, she was holding her baby. I was so exhausted by the time baby came (I'd pretty much been up all night, and it was the 4th night out of six that I'd been up at least most of the night.) Sometimes I love my little hospital, because we can be accomodating to client's wishes more easily than a big hospital. Baby went to nursery from the operating room just for a couple minutes to get vital signs and his oxygen level checked (he was breathing fast, but not in distress) and then I brought him to mom as she arrived in recovery, still unbathed and new, and he spent the next couple hours on her chest and trying to nurse. Then, my wonderful day shift nurse helped her pretty much keep him skin to skin all day as he was having some transient tachypnea (rapid breathing, not uncommon in babies born by cesarean and especially at 36 weeks) but he did so much better skin to skin than he did away from his mama with his breathing.

I was so wiped out after working all day (and having to go back to the hospital to admit my partner's patient after finishing in the office) I had a lovely spa treatment (in my house, that's taking a hot bath with my six year old who then pours water over me with her nesting cups), put clean jammies on, and promptly fell asleep in my recliner. Dh eventually carried me to bed since he couldn't get me awake enough to get me to stand, and I slept like a dead person all night. Now, it's Friday, but unfortunately I'm on call all weekend and don't really get a day off. Hopefully, I can at least get a couple runs in!

Geo - Good luck to dh for the interview!
#183 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jen, I got teary reaing that. I'm so happy that mama is holding her baby now! Hope you get a bit of a break soon.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#184 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM

I got teary reading that too, Jen, so happy the mama has her baby to hold now.

I'm dragging at working this morning, just keep reminding myself it's Friday.

rr: 3 miles yesterday, my fastest 3 in awhile, the last two miles were sub 9 since my boyfriend decided we should run faster than usual but we were still able to talk, so it was nice.
#185 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm sitting here all dressed for a run, but it's raining. Sigh. I don't want to run in the rain.

And if it's raining now, it will probably be raining tonight at the 5K. Double sigh.

Also, I drank a glass of water and feel like I am going to throw it up. Triple sigh.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#186 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM

drjen, that's so beautiful.

On the sitter...I dunno. $5 seems high to me. Maybe $4 seems more reasonable to me. I'm paying an adult $5 an hour this summer to watch both my kids, take them to swim lessons, and even feed them. (I plan on being as close to a dream parent as possible, tipping heavily and providing food too.)

I have childcare for overnight tonight. : So my plan is to run as long as I can first thing in the morning. A friend is taking ds, and sister is taking dd. I will run first thing and see how far I can go.

And I gave in and got a cell phone. Dh is sure to be shocked and dismayed, but I can't figure out what is wrong with the house phones, and I need to be reachable for my work from home arrangement. This will allow me to be in the barn and still be reached by the office. And I got a work discount. I just hope I got a plan with enough minutes.

OK. Gardens to water, lettuce to thin, trash to haul out.
#187 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM

Man...babysitters around here are expensive. $8/hr is cheap. I always try and get a family member to watch my kids.

Jaygee...you have got to get rid of the coon! ARghh..those things freak me out. Of course whenever I see them they are viciously fighting with my dogs!

Speaking of creatures...a man in my neighborhood was bitten by a copperhead walking down the street. He's been in ICU. We do have a lot of snakes around here, but I would never expect to be bitten on my street.

DrJen..sweet sweet story!

Geo..Good luck to you dh!!!

Swim team meet last night happened in the rain. I worked concessions for 3 hours and I feel wiped out. I will be rejuvenated by tomorrow!
#188 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM

drjen ~ I had tears here too.

jo ~ Enjoy your LR tomorrow!!

Sitters: I got paid $10/hr from high school through college. I think when I was younger, I got $2-3/hr.

Warm day here today. I am thinking after V's next feeding we are going to pack up the stroller and go for a run. : Then later we are surprising my nephew by picking him up from his last day of 1st grade and possibly going to the park.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#189 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM

DrJen - thanks for shareing your story. hope you get some sleep and some good runs soon.

I did 2 hours on the cross bike (with gears) yesterday. the weather was beautiful and the the ride was just lovely. though by the end my legs were totally exhausted. in a good way i guess.

warning, dh vent ahead: today is the Kindergarten Road Show. Where all the kiddos go to school for an hour to see their classroom for next year etc. DS is adamant that he is not going to kindergarten and would like to stay in preschool forever, or possibly skip ahead to first grade to be with his friends who are a little older. So anytime we talk about this, he disolves into a puddle of fit throwing. Finally last night, I offered to have DH go to the school with him for the road show. it's an hour.

DH wasn't home until late last night and we didn't talk about it until this morning. He flipped out and got really pissed at me for putting him in the position where he has to go to the school now, cause DS is expecting him to be there. I'm of the belief that he needs to just suck it up and deal. He's there because his work is 50 yards from the school, whereas I work 20 minutes drive from the school and have another appointment later in the day and really can't spend all day driving to and from. And basically i just don't get why the freakout. One day he's super involved with DS and school and telling me how much he enjoys dropping him off. Then today he doesn't want anything to do with it. I can't win. I know I should have prepped him more for this morning, and for that I'm sorry. But I also don't feel that an hour out of his morning is too much to ask for his only child. </vent>

today i'm supposed to do an hour recovery ride. I'm going to try to convince dh to do a family recovery ride with ds in the tagalong and ice cream at the end. wish me luck.
#190 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Wow DrJen, what a story!

I got in a short bike ride last night and did some strength training at the gym. Felt Great!
#191 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 PM

The teenage girls around here charge $2/hour/child but are willing to arrange day rates and event rates. This is important because we are at least 1+ hours from the nearest anything. So, if I was taking 1 child to the ENT to get a playmobil flower surgically removed from her nose and dh had to work I would take said child and the nursling along and arrange a flat rate in advance for the others. I made $4/hour in Glen Ellyn (Chicago) in 1984.

Dr Jen, I am a wreck today and your story is very touching. :

JayGee - : Shut the door!!

Goodluck to Mr Geo.

I saw the athletic trainer at library story hour and talked to him about my ankle bothering me. The long and the short of it is he suggested I roll my calves (to get at the muscle attached to the sore tendon). Sure enough I found the sore spot and am already feeling improvement. I am so grateful to him and the whole field I didn't understand at all until recently.

I went to the new gym today after too much coffee. I have the shakes, had to lower my weights on a day I wanted to increase them. Child care worked out fine but I get so nervous and trembly in a new situation. I think I'll have a bite to eat and some rescue remedy. Tomorrow I'll try to run after Ian does papers but before our town's bicentennial parade.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#192 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM

:rotflamo, I love your "hypothetical" playmobile example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Goodluck to Mr Geo.
We got a phone call the other night asking to talk to Dr. Philip P___ He doesn't have an MD or PhD, and his last name ain't P___. One of the funnier consequences of having different last names.
#193 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Around here ... $10/hr seems to be the min rate. I've never hired a sitter though (b/c it seems so expensive)

I have my tri tomorrow!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#194 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM

mommabelle~A copperhead on your street?!? Yikes!

drjen~I hope you're able to rest and run as needed for your own sense of well being.

jaygee~The next time he comes in he's officially a pet so you'll have to name him. I suggest you start brainstorming some choices.

mandy~ for your hubby.

babysitting~We pay $10-12/hour. We also have three wild little kids, so I like to pay enough to make sure sitters are willing to come back.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#195 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM

nick~So far, it seems like the online classes rely on the student reading the assigned text, but also post lecture notes, as would be used in an IRL class.

geo~I posted on FB, but I think because you're in a major metro area, you're looking at a bit more than some of those who live in rural areas. In my major metro area, I paid 11 year olds $5/hr last summer, 14 year olds $8/hr, and my college grad sitter gets $11/hr. The 14 year olds have taken the Safe Sitter class. I would tend to think $2/hr would be a bit low, but again that's for my major metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am so grateful to him and the whole field I didn't understand at all until recently.

Off to the zoo this morning, then I need to go pick up my race packet this afternoon. I am determined to get there early enough this time that I actually get a race shirt in my size. Last year I waited till the end of packet pick-up since DS was napping and ended up with a (unisex) size L tech shirt. That they claimed would shrink. Yeah, right. I've worn it precisely twice because I swim in it. I also need to get the seat on my borrowed bike adjusted since my feet barely reach the pedals at the moment!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#196 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Babysitters-The average around here is $10-12/hour. We are very lucky and have a 13 year old in our neighborhood whose mother insists $6/hour is enough at her age. I know this sounds horrible, but since my grandmother died, it's been nice knowing my mom will babysit again.

AM-Your 5k is tonight? Can't wait to hear about it!

DrJen-I always love your birth stories, but that one was especially gripping. Seriously had tears in my eyes. What a lucky mama!

Good, sweaty class today. Planning 6 miles in the morning, but it's tenative on dh's work. He has a migration that starts at midnight tonight and can take anywhere from 6-24 hours. Ugh.

Does anyone have an easy, yet impressive summer dessert recipe?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#197 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM

HBM..I found this recipe the other day, and can't wait to try it.

http://nikkicogg.blogspot.com/2009/0...kes-oh-my.html
#198 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 PM

HMB--melon salad with honey, cardamom and black pepper. :
#199 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Oh, MB those look awesome! I might do those for the grown-ups and plain ones for the kids. Yum!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#200 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM

I can't believe how much ya'll are paying your babysitters! I always got paid a little less than whatever min. wage was. Back in the day it was $4.75, I think, and I got $3-4/hr. And this was in a high COL area. Now I'm even more grateful for MIL - we'd never go anywhere if we had to pay $12/hr.
#201 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Back from about 20 minutes of running/walking. V slept the whole time in her stroller. Now... off to squeeze in a shower and get her in her sundress. We are going to the park with my nephew once he gets out of school today - his last day of first grade!

MB ~ Yum!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#202 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Good golly, so many of you get cheap sitters! We pay $12/hour for 2 kids, but I know some charge $15. We don't go out a lot. One thing we do is arrange sleepovers to avoid the babysitting $$.

DH and I were talking that we need to get back to our running. It has been like 2 weeks. And for the way that I am eating....
#203 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I've worn it precisely twice because I swim in it.
At first I took that literally :

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
jaygee~The next time he comes in he's officially a pet so you'll have to name him. I suggest you start brainstorming some choices.
Well, we call Ali G the Raccoon so she could call her raccoon Ali G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Does anyone have an easy, yet impressive summer dessert recipe?
Those margarita cupcakes look yummy! I was going to suggest pavlovas with ice cream and berries. Super easy to make and you can do it all ahead of time.

No RR for me today. I was invited to a pool with a bunch of moms I see frequently at public toddler events but who never really talk to me. It was nice because Alison had a ball but it was definitely a little awkward for me. I just couldn't find any way to really join the general conversation. the mom who invited me was certainly friendly but I don't know, we just don't click well, we kept running out of things to talk about so we'd end up just commenting on the kids. Oh well.
On the way home I stopped at a thrift store to look for a : crib. Instead I found a Little Tykes toddler bed in the shape of a little cottage. It's not something I would have thought to buy new but just sitting there for $20 it was a no brainer. Now I just have to see if I can get Alison to sleep in it. She was interested for sure, but the test will be at bedtime!

Yesterday I ran with my RP on a loop that she thought was 5 miles. At 55 minutes we were not even approaching being done though. It ended up being 6.44 which was fine and actually made us both laugh because we so clearly remember when that kind of mistake would have crippled us! I, like an idiot, went out at noon without sunblock though so later in the day I just felt totally wiped out. I ended up falling asleep last night before 9 and not waking up until after 7 this morning!

I'm getting this pain and swelling on the top of one foot. I think someone here had that problem in the past, anyone? I can't figure out what's causing it but it was really sore yesterday even after I iced it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#204 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Good golly, so many of you get cheap sitters! We pay $12/hour for 2 kids, but I know some charge $15. We don't go out a lot. One thing we do is arrange sleepovers to avoid the babysitting $$.
For regular, "lots of responsibility" babysitting, we also pay $10-12/hour. That is, get here on your own, care for two kids, feed them, put them to bed. This was a little different.

Anyways, it went well. DH spent a few hours after his interview chatting with the mom in their back yard, so he ended up spending $9 on 4.5 hours of kid entertainment.

It sounds like the interview went very well. To build a military vehicle. Recall two years ago that DH had to decide whether or not to take another job with military applications, and he turned that down. Is sounds promising, and they didn't blink at DH's salary request ("I guess I should have said 30% more."). The funding for the project, however, isn't in place. :eyeroll: so that means we just get to add another unconstrained variable to the whole discussion on what the #%#$% to do with ourselves.

Elliot's diagnosis came. No news. I could have written the report: "Moderate-to-severe articulation/phonological disorder, mild expressive language delay," with a Treatment Diagnosis of "1. Disorders of Speech/Lang - 784.5" I'm currently trying to translate that part.

The "gee, I feel like a great mom" part? Yeah, everything I read is that "when treated before 3 years of age, children achieve age targets by 5" or something along those lines. No one would talk to me before age 3.
#205 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Sorry Geo. don't know what the last part means, but I know you're doing the best you can do for him.

I am at a meeting that has FREE WIFI!!!! awesome.

Mommabelle, from a few pages back, I do weight watchers. no frills, I eat anything, just strict portion control. If I do a long run, I look up how many points i should add to the day. It's always worked for me before if i can make myself stick to it!

I've run three days this week, but I don't think I'll get another one in maybe til Sunday. but it's for a good cause; we have a very early strategy meeting to try to get a resolution passed that means our church moves closer to same-gender unions and ordination. take care mamas!
#206 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I did it!!!! I ran my first 5K, and I didn't die.

#207 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
I am at a meeting that has FREE WIFI!!!! awesome.
Woah, totally different world. If we had a meeting without Wifi, no one would show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
#208 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
:

I. Am. Exhausted. We were up and around fairly early this morning to meet friends at the zoo. DS got up on the wrong side of the bed, apparently, and spent the entire time I was getting ready and trying to get him ready sobbing. He wanted one of my calcium gummy bears (, which I usually give him, but he refused to say please ([sobbing]Nooooo...mommy say it[/sobbing]). I refused to give it to him if he wouldn't say please, so he just bawled his head off. I seriously thought we would get to the zoo and have to turn around and come home, but he finally calmed down when I got him in the stroller to walk in. It was a nice day, including my best friend's dad showing up (he lives in California) to surprise her for her birthday. The kids had a great time.

Then it was off to pick up the packet for tomorrow's race. I'm feeling kind of unprepared because I didn't stick around for the info meeting, but I'm hoping that having done the race last year is enough info. DS was starting to get out of control, so I really didn't want to push it any longer. As it is, I put him to bed as soon as we got home and had a quick dinner. STBX is going to come pick him up when his flight gets in, so at least DS will get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep this way. And I don't really care if STBX has trouble getting him back to sleep.

Off to pack my transition bag and make sure I have everything...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#209 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!!!! How'd you enjoy it?

Good luck to all tomorrow's racers! It's a big day for triathletes ~ GO tjsmama! GO CathToria! GO Mommabelle!!! I just finished packing my transition bag and pumping up my tires. I'm ready! I'm officially freaked out about a.) the water temperatures and b.) the HILLS ! Ah well, it's just a race, right?!

We had an awesome night tonight at the closing carnival for VBS. There were over 700 kids at our church for VBS this week, so the final show and fair were huge! My older two had a great time and I was really proud of both of them, singing up on stage, right at the front with big, happy smiles .

Time to get to bed, I'll getting up at 6:00 for the race. I love the fact that this race is just down the road and I don't need to get up super-early like I usually do.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#210 of 776 Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 PM

kerc, the master of google, found me the diagnosis:
http://www.icd9data.com/2009/Volume1.../784/784.5.htm
Ug, now I'm stressed the school won't get things started this summer -- it says nothing about phonological delays. The school will treat that immediately, not articulation. Gah.

Any SLPs in the dingo commune?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page