Run For the Junebugs...Dingo Thread June 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's June...gateway to summer! : Time to RUN OUTSIDE!!!!

From DrJen:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Subbing...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#3 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Yay! A new thread! And can you add the Hoosierman Sprint Triathlon to the race list for me for 6/6? Thanks!

Off to drop two big kids at church and then to the Y for 30 minutes of elliptical and a swim.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#4 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Hi! Can I join?? I'm almost 6 weeks post partum and itching to get back to running. Before the pregnancy I was really getting into road races and especially triathlons. But, due to some problems during my pregnancy I wasn't allowed to do anything more than walking, so I am way out of shape! I hope I'll be able to do at least one triahtlon this fall, but I'm going to take things slowly getting back into shape. Plus, it's so hard to find time to exercise with my little one. She and I take several walks throughout the day, but she will only tolerate the stroller for a few minutes. So, no runnning since I have to wear her for our walks. I did try running a bit the other day while DP was hanging out with DD. But none of my old sports bras fit anymore and certainly didn't give me enough support! I tried doubling up on bras to get some extra support, but no dice. Any suggestions on a good, supportive sports bra for a nursing mom??
#5 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM

subbing, just trying to get some this morning to get some motivation. Had a great weekend, riding motorcycle with dh (see facebook) all day Saturday, then our sitting backed out for the Sunday right so I stayed with the kids and dh went. I was but whatcha gonna do?

Jaygee~London Dog in Bloomington? That's funny/cute!

Okay, got to shower and make myself presentable. check in with you later!
#6 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm doing this half next Sunday: http://www.councilbluffshalfmarathon.com/

I'm trying to pursuade dh that we could still do the annual church picnic afterwards. He nixed the idea of asking some church friends if I could shower at their house as "wierd" (they're closer to church than we are) so I'd have to run, go home, shower, and head back to church. But we love picnics, so maybe I'll prevail.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#7 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM

hi everyone

had a great weekend on the cape. Good mountain biking on both weekend days followed by relaxing by the beach. i rode hard and my legs are sore. luckily it's a rest day today.

time to get back into the swing of the work week.
#8 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Subbing

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#9 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Val just fell asleep so I can update.

I fell off the working out wagon. I have used up the little bit of milk I had frozen (I have a horrible time pumping and actually getting anything more than 1/2 oz.), and I don't feel okay leaving her without a spare bottle. Plus, most days I can't get the energy to get my tail out the door. One day at a time.. one step at a time. Hopefully the weather warms up just a tad more then I can put her in the jogger no problem.

heart-n-bones My dd is 3 months, and I am struggling to get out there too. I was training for a tri for August, but now I'm just not so sure. We'll see... Anyway, I can attest to the fact that it's difficult to get back to working out and it's mostly finding the time and energy.

Gaye ~ You got any leftover cake left? I'd love some.. even if it's old and I'm late responding.

Okay off to my tea and then running errands with my mom, sister, and sister-in-law and all the kiddos. Girls Day Monday! :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm off to the y this morning. Just dumped one vehicle at the dealer for service.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#11 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM

: I'm here. Just a major grumpa$$ while my foot is healing. I'm pissed that I can't run and extra grumpy because I'm basically starving myself so I don't blow up with the lack of exercise. Nice, huh? My poor dh!

Geesh, look at me--I'll scare off the new dingos!

heart-n-bones! There are a few tri gals on here. You're in good company!! Congrats on your new little one.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#12 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM

:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#13 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm here! Determined to be more active in posting this month.

I'm training for this now http://www.runreg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=1857

Happy June :
#14 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Me,l here is a stick, travel size. I was sore.

JG, you are a racing machine!

heart-n-bones

Penelope, While I get that they are closer to the picnic I think it is much easier to shower at home rather than pack and be naked away from home. I must have some hang-ups or bad experiences. :

Jen, I thought your goals were quite lofty when you registered for the tri. I am awed that you are making efforts to get out there already and you will get back to working out on a regular basis soon but babies are little for just a short time. It has always taken me quite some time to get back to it. Things like this have a way of working out.

towson, do you swim? can you do something low or non-impact? I have an injury (pain that almost goes away about 40 hours after a run) I am trying not to let happen to my ankle but resting it so hard.

basically just subbing in for the new month.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#15 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM

mommajb, I have a stick too. I love it. I find it easier than the foam roller for some spots although I use my foam roller a ton too.
#16 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Good idea on the gym. I hope that the dynamic shifts when it's just one parent, so that things turn out better than you think.

I am on my way to the gym for a TM run of 4.5 miles. I missed my morning run with RP because as I left the house, I was almost run down by a truck from the county spraying for mosquitoes!! I had no idea that they sprayed in our neighborhood! I was glad that they didn't catch us out on our run - we would have been doused in the stuff!
Mommajb - : I find that it is often easier when dh is gone just because it means there is no appellate court on site and I don't get grumpy about doing everything all the time because there isn't anyone else who *should* be helping. I hope you have the same experience! :

Mel - ewwww! That would have been nasty!! One day I was passed by a street cleaner as I was running but thankfully they saw me coming and turned off the brushes as I went past.

Jo - : to you that the new schedule is a good fit for the rest of your life and that you get those long runs in. I don't want you to be too fast in SF but I do want you to have fun!

Okay, gotta fly, I realized this morning that it's now June and our baby chicks might arrive as soon as tomorrow and I'm so not ready! Gotta get their spot all done!!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#17 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
bec

Oooh, getting in on page 1 this month!

Welcome heart-n-bones! I'm sure easing back into the exercise part of things is pretty straight forward. Getting away from the babe to have that time is always the hard part. Do you have a treadmill? Or, you could run a short circuit close to your house with a cell phone, so your dh could call if babe needs you while you are out? Good luck! I think that is the hardest part of new parenthood!

I have a stick too! I bought it at the expo for the Mini. I LOVE it!

RR: I'm officially marathon training!!! : I got 3 miles in today! 5 on the schedule tomorrow, and 3 the following!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#18 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Subbing before I get too far behind.
#19 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Penelope, While I get that they are closer to the picnic I think it is much easier to shower at home rather than pack and be naked away from home. I must have some hang-ups or bad experiences. :

This is probably true.

At the moment, it looks like we'll be in Minnesota instead, because dh's family has decided to stop all treatment for FIL (very sick for several weeks after heart surgery.) So we're sad and stressed, and I'm not sure what kind of stress-relieving running I should actually do, and I feel generally pretty useless.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#20 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
At the moment, it looks like we'll be in Minnesota instead, because dh's family has decided to stop all treatment for FIL (very sick for several weeks after heart surgery.) So we're sad and stressed, and I'm not sure what kind of stress-relieving running I should actually do, and I feel generally pretty useless.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Mommajb: OK, so that is what a travel stick is! Those were being demonstrated at the expo for the 10k I ran back in April. Nifty!

RR: 4.5 on the treadmill today. It felt pretty easy : so that was nice for a change.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#21 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Saw the best bumper sticker today...

Real Men Wear Their Kids

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#22 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Yay, bec! Marathon training is FUN! Crazy, but fun!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#23 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Here's the race list for the July thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

HomeBirthMommy, renep6 - Peachtree Road Race - July 4
bec - Freedom Classic 5k - July 4
doctorjen - Streator Run for Glory - July 4
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Olympic Triathlon - July 12
Plady, poppywise, 1jooj, crebrun, cornflakegirl - San Francisco Marathon - July 26
JenLove- Copperman Triathlon - August 1
Materfamilias - Hot Summer's Night 5K - August 1
doctorjen - Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon - August 2
tjsmama - Rattlesnake Olympic Triathlon - August 15
ashcav - Cape Cod Canal 14 Mile Run - August 15
JayGee - Try Indy Olympic Distance Triathlon - August 16
Realrellim - Slacker Half Marathon - August 27
JayGee - Go Girl Triathlon - August 29
grnmtnmama - Single Speed World Championships - September 16
Mel38 - Neumarkter Stadtlauf Half Marathon - September 20
bec - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 4
Nickarolaberry - Marine Corps Marathon - October 25
mommajb - Monumental Half Marathon - November 7
HomeBirthMommy - Atlanta Half Marathon - Novemeber 26
The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#24 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 05:11 PM

drjen~ what does it mean to have "crackling in lower lung"?

RR: I need a run, kids are making me very
#25 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Newbie here! I had three babies in three years, and I started getting serious about losing the weight early January. I have dropped 20 lbs doing P90X and running, but I have 20 left to lose. In the process, I have actually started to enjoy running!?! I have decided to run in a race the first weekend of August, which is just a couple weeks before my baby turns one!

My question is what race I should sign up for. I can run 2 miles now. Should I sign up for the 5K, or do you think I can seriously up my training and do the 10K? TIA for your advice!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#26 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
Newbie here! I had three babies in three years, and I started getting serious about losing the weight early January. I have dropped 20 lbs doing P90X and running, but I have 20 left to lose. In the process, I have actually started to enjoy running!?! I have decided to run in a race the first weekend of August, which is just a couple weeks before my baby turns one!

My question is what race I should sign up for. I can run 2 miles now. Should I sign up for the 5K, or do you think I can seriously up my training and do the 10K? TIA for your advice!
You could probably get up to 10k distance by then. But do a 5k. Why not? It would be fun, boost your confidence and be a definitely attainable goal. I always have the best luck maintaining my focus and motivation if I set easily attainable goals and take it one step at a time.
#27 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I'm here! Determined to be more active in posting this month.
:

I'm 1) finally recovering from being sick. 2)taking the summer off from classes so I can 3) whip myself into shape this summer and 4) enjoy the dingo camping trip. I've decided we will take the train and rent a car in Buffalo so we can effectively pick up a few days on the other end by sleeping instead of driving.

The silver lining to being sick so long is that I think I've healed up my feet by being laid up for three weeks...
#28 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Subbing...managed to just meet the bus this afternoon and got some weird news at work today, so I am trying to take it all in and be positive and not let my inner freak turn all news into armageddon. It's all fine.

But getting the kids to be disciplined and do their stuff and not be all on my case while I try to pick up where I left off at the office...is gonna be hard to learn. Of course I expect a perfect performance from day one, which is just dumb. Leave it to the goats to make sure I'm just a little late getting in, and from there it cascades...

Tomorrow includes a RUN. Outside if the t-storms don't beat me to it.
#29 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM

still here.
#30 of 776 Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM

mommajb~ Let's remember that I only have one kid, and a pretty mellow one at that. You have FIVE. : You'll get through it, because that's what you have to do, ya know? Let the unimportant stuff (cleaning, cooking if necessary) go, and just worry about surviving. You can do it!

and welcome to the newbies!

h-n-b~I like the Moving Comfort Fiona bra a lot. I still use it now, but started wearing it when DS was probably around a year or so and still nursing. It's not really a nursing bra but because of the way the straps adjust, you can easily make it work as one.

l_m_b_~I'd probably go for a 5k first, just to comfortably get that distance under your belt and have the experience before jumping up to a 10k. I think you have enough time to train for a 10k, but if you're worried at all about having time for training or anything else, the 5k will be a much easier goal to reach. If you really want to do the 10k though, you definitely could, and we'll be here to support you!

jenlove~Lots of cake left! Come on over! And don't beat yourself up about the training stuff. It will come. You've still got two months. That's a long time. Just try to let go of any thoughts you had about competing and turn those thoughts to completing. You can do it. You can. You can walk 3 miles, right? So you can walk the run portion if you need to. The bike might be slow, but you can do that, too. And heck, you can doggy paddle the swim if you need to! You CAN do it. Hang in there!

towson~ Hang in there, sister. This, too, shall pass. And seconding the idea bout trying to swim or bike if you can. Maybe check with your doctor and see if the elliptical might be ok sometime soon?

penelope~ I'm sorry about your bad news.

So..............INSURANCE IS COVERING THE BIKE!!!!! : : : :

I'm so relieved! I had to fax the receipt for the bike (thank goodness I *just* found it the other day), and the adjuster said they'd cut a check minus the deductible and get it out to me! Woohoo!

Now if only the bike shop would call me with some information. I would seriously call them and raise some hell, but apparently my friend's coach is the one handling it, so it's turned into this kind-of-delicate situation whereby I don't want to piss anybody off or anything because she's a friend of a friend. My friend says she's way overworked and that she would relay the info that I would like some urgency applied toward this. I understand she's overworked. I get that. But if you knew the person whose bike it was (we've met a few times), knew that she's a triathlete who's got a race coming up this weekend and can't really afford to be without a bike, wouldn't you think you'd try a little harder? I mean, my friend who works in a bike shop in Telluride was able to talk to her rep about it and get me all the information I currently have on FRIDAY. BEFORE 10 AM! : Gah.

Anyways, I AM relieved that insurance is going to pay for it. I can make do for this week, since it's a race week and I probably wasn't going to ride far anyway, and I'll have my friend's bike for the race itself, but I really kind of need something next week, or I'm stuck going to spin class only. Which is fine for the winter, but not during race season!

We went to get DS's three year pictures taken this morning. He was pretty cooperative at first, and then just decided he was done. Totally clinging to me, done. Oh well. We got some cute ones before he quit, at least!

Now I'm just trying to get caught up on a few things before going and checking in with my classes that start today. They should be up online so I can see exactly what I've gotten myself into. I'm a bit scared.

rr~We got done with pictures in time to get to the Y for noon spin class. So at least I got some sort of exercise in today!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page