Eat to Live in the Summer! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else doing this here? I know there is an old (and long) thread somewhere in here, but I thought starting a new one might breathe new life into it.

For those of you interested, info on etl can be found here http://www.fatfreevegan.com/etl/index.shtml and here. http://www.drfuhrman.com/

This is my second time doing etl. First time was 4 years ago, ds1 was 1 1/2 and I was having a really hard time losing weight. In total I lost 25 lbs and kept it off until I got pg with ds2. I actually did very well throughout my pg and the first year after, but these last 6 months have seen me gaining again. So I need to get back on the wagon.
I started almost 2 weeks ago and have lost 3 lbs at the one week mark.
I'm going to use this thread a place to record my eating and success. For me, it really has the been the best and only way I have been able to put a handle on my eating long term.

Mama to 3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM

I'll definitely join this thread! I'm not doing ETL right now because I just had a baby, and my amazing friends are feeding me (have been since dd was born and will be for a few more days!). I'm cutting myself a break for that!!! Starting mid-June though, we'll be getting a weekly CSA box which should be great for ETL!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

i'm here, i'm doing a modified version as per my ND. so far i have lost about 10 pounds in 3 weeks. (maybe more, i am only weighing every two weeks now)

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats on the new babe!
I did well yesterday, ate too much at dinner, oh well.
Breakfast was a green smoothie and a banana.
Lunch was a green salad with cauliflower, hazelnuts, and avocado. Also a bowl of pintos with avo and salsa.
Dinner was veg tacos.

Mama to 3:
Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

traveling and e2l....

we are leaving for florida on monday. we are going to see my terminally ill aunt. we will only be there until thursday, but my cousins are both obese food addicts and my mom is a terrible eater too. my cousins are into taking people to all the "all you can eat" places in orlando when they visit.

how do i cope without being a party pooper. as it is, i hate asking my mom to shop for me on monday. we are going to see my aunt, not spend time shopping and preparing foods.

ideas?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I would just do the best that you can. Pack yourself some trail mix for your purse, drink plenty of water and make the best choices at whatever restaurant you go to. For me one year, on vacation with the extended family that was salad bar and plain baked potato.
It is amazing to me when I "go off etl" how I'm still eating way better than most anyhow. Good luck and sorry to hear of your aunt.

Mama to 3:
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I have really fallen off the wagon. I need to get back to it because I just don't feel good in my body, not to mention that I want to lose more weight. I seem to have something blocking my way towards prepping/cooking (and therefore eating) all the veggies. It wasn't that long ago that I was doing great. Ugh!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 PM

subbing

re: vacation... salad bars are usually pretty good. even those places like moes and chipolte offer a naked burrito in a bowl... essentially a salad with beans... very ETL! I still eat eggs, and eggs and fruit can be had for breakfast at most places (I get egg/spinach/tomato/mushroom omlette, hashbrown and fruit at IHOP when traveling)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing.

Been feeling for the last few days that I wanted to try a meatless, low-dairy diet again and stumbled across Eat To Live at the library.

Love the simple rules of thumb. Need that. Counting servings and calories doesn't mix with enjoyment of food for me.

So I've been testing the waters for the past couple of days, going to do some shopping to make recipes from the book.

Any suggestions for what to start with?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly didn't really like any of the recipes from his book. But fatfreevegan.com and her blog have some wonderful, etl recipes. Also, I found that eating more simply was key for me in doing this. So things you don't really need a recipe for, like a giant smoothie with anything that looks good, same goes for salad. Just something with lots of green veg and all the amazing produce we've got going on now. hth

Mama to 3:
Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks!

In the fall I will want and need to start cooking again, but I get your point, it is definitely the right time for fresh, raw and simple.

I bought some fat free bean soups, dips and hummus yesterday, so I'm set for the next few days.

I have a real block about cooking beans. I eat and enjoy them, but when I cook them myself, I don't want to eat them. Except for a recipe I like for baked black bean dip with garlic...maybe I could experiment with making it without the cheese...There, see, I'm starting to get excited about cooking with beans even, now!

I love green smoothies, so that is the place to start. Here is what I've set aside for eating today:

chopped apple in oatmeal for breakfast

Bowl of napa cabbage tossed in salsa verde for lunch

10 oz box of washed spinach (which I will mostly use up in smoothies)

2 cups cooked broccoli, (tossed with a little fat free italian dressing, working on this one)

2 bananas, a can of pineapple, and some chopped frozen plums (for smoothies)

a bowl of peas, leftover from my kids' lunch.

3/4 cup storebought hummus. Or I'll make my canned pea soup and blend the peas in, and add some fresh herbs for flavor.

Lots of water...

And a couple of cups of coffee and some sweet cherries for a treat. I also carry around raw nuts in my purse to nibble if I get hungry away from home, but I have had that habit for a while. I certainly don't enjoy plain nuts enough to binge on them.

Such a lot of food!

My bane is nachos with cheese or dark chocolate before bed. I'm telling myself that if I actually eat everything, and I'm still hungry, I can eat whatever I want at bedtime. Couldn't get through it all yesterday, and certainly wasn't hungry for anything else :
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like you're doing great. Not so much here. I keep justifying to myself not eating well. I just need to do it! You've inspired me.

Mama to 3:
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM

Thanks so much for the link to fatfreevegan.com, isomom. Omigosh, now THERE are some recipes I can get excited about cooking (and eating

I am not worrying about salt -- I have low blood pressure.

I also don't own a scale so I won't be weighing myself. I have some clothes I loved that I wore before I got pg with my youngest, and I want to wear them again. 3 sizes to go....
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM

I''m on day two and so far so good. I usually struggle for a long time with even starting, so I'm glad I've done that! I just went to Whole Foods and bought tons of E2L friendly fruits and vegetables, and some beans. I am turning 40 in exactly one month, so I am determined to last at least the month (but hopefully all summer), and then continue on a slightly modified version. I feel pretty good about starting this. I had a HORRIBLE wake up call a few days ago, well horrible in the realm of unimportant things, not horrible horrible. I was going through photos and I found some my dh had downloaded from a hike last month. My 8 year old was behind me with a camera and shot about 8 pictures. It wasn't pretty to say the least. I can't believe I actually look like that. It's pretty good motivation though, I just think of those photos and I know I want and need to lose weight, not because I hate my body, but because I love it and don't want to be unhealthy. For the next 30 days I am committed financially and otherwise to make this work! I need to lose about 40 pounds, but I'm hoping for half of that this summer, maybe more!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
It wasn't pretty to say the least. I can't believe I actually look like that. It's pretty good motivation though, I just think of those photos and I know I want and need to lose weight, not because I hate my body, but because I love it and don't want to be unhealthy. For the next 30 days I am committed financially and otherwise to make this work! I need to lose about 40 pounds, but I'm hoping for half of that this summer, maybe more!

Wow, I could have written your post, except that I turn 41 in 2 months, I shopped at Costco (we don't have whole foods), it was my 3 yr old with the camera, and I am fully committed for 27 days before I go on vac... but at the rate things are going, I think I will just take my blender with me

Ok, going to do a food diary....

Today I ate:

oatmeal and a chopped apple for breakfast (with 2 tbsp of my homemade granola to flavor it)

A blender of spinach/pineapple/banana smoothie I couldn't finish from yesterday.

6 cashews and 2 pecans to stave off a need-food- headache energy while at the playground with kids.

Leftover cooked broccoli and carrots tossed with a cup of italian tomato sauce, sprinkled with chili peppers and the merest dash of parmesan cheese.

And I'm currently working on a bowl of cooked green peas and carrots tossed with roasted red pepper hummus and a blender of green smoothie made with butter lettuce, pineapple and blueberries.

Naughties: I had a couple of sips of yogurt-fruit smoothies and a couple of bites of the pizza I just made for the kids, 2 half cups of coffee with milk and sugar. Was surprised I didn't finish the coffee, as I usually do want it for energy...maybe I'll crave it less?

I bought a lot of unsweetened canned pineapple and fresh bananas at the grocery store tonight. For those who have done this for a while, do you find your tastes adjust and you can cut down on these "sweetnener" fruits in the smoothies eventually?

I am a fan of eating local and am half-plotting something like the purchase of an aerogarden or something for winter salad greens already....An ongoing dependence on tropical fruit is not something I could ever compensate for hydroponically in my basement, though
Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

So funny, last time I did etl it was vacation photography that did it for me as well! lol
Anyhow, re-started yesterday, did pretty well.

Brekkie was a banana and coffee.
Lunch was a ww pita with hummus and lettuce, and more hummus wrapped in more lettuce.
Snack was a smoothie with strawberry and banana and some pistachios.
Dinner was shredded cooked beets and a zucchini, potato, pesto bake thing.

Mama to 3:
Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM

my trip to florida was a bust! (i posted about it on the other thread) i tried to eat e2l, but i kept ending up in places with no food or horrible food. a bunch of times my blood sugar just plummeted and i was miserable.

i didn't give up and just eat junk, but it was impossible for me to get enough calories of veggies and so ate more than i wanted to. the interesting thing was i felt (physically) very achy and stiff by the time we got home (5 days). and yesterday i had a big blow up with my DS. (i have PMDD issues)

last night i shopped and this morning i went to the public market to get hydroponic greens and other organic veggies and tomorrow is another organic farmer's market that has local organic STRAWBERRIES!! YAY!! (i wait all year for these. we don't eat out of season or non local berries usually)

i am happy to start eating e2l again!!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Today so far I've had a banana, a handful (large handful) of almonds, 2 coffees, and a package of strawberries. The almonds were because I was working my son's swim meet and stuck at a timer for three hours. i'm glad I had a bag of them with me, but I probably ate too many. I usually only have one cup of coffee, but I'm tired, maybe from the change in food? For dinner and a snack I'm going to go with beans, and greens, and maybe a little more fruit!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM

that's all you've eaten by 5 PM??? no wonder you are tired! the bare minimum of calories you should be eating is 1200 a day. that's bare minimum. are you tracking what you eat?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

I am rediscovering that hummus does the same thing for me as cheese (my usual main protein/fat source I usually so look forward to eating cheese...now I am using a bit of cheese as a condiment and instead I look forward to eating hummus.

I have three kinds in my fridge right now, and two recipes I have got to try.

I've been eating hummus with pea pods, or steamed peas and veggies tossed with a little hummus.....mmmmm

I should buy some chickpeas. Don't like canned, never cooked them before. There is probably a whole lot I could be doing with them that I'd love.

Today I have eaten:

bowl of oatmeal cooked with a chopped apple.

4 baby zuchs chopped and steamed mixed with one half cup of my fave tomato sauce, sprinkled with a tbsp of feta cheese and some chili peppers
This would be nice baked :

about 10-15 pea pods with hummus dip

And I just made a blender of smoothie with half-a-head of butter lettuce, some banana and cherries, which I am working on.

Later tonight, I am going to have a portobello mushroom or two for dinner....

I also made a very rich homemade ice cream for a party tonight and did not eat any. Yay me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
last night i shopped and this morning i went to the public market to get hydroponic greens and other organic veggies and tomorrow is another organic farmer's market that has local organic STRAWBERRIES!! YAY!! (i wait all year for these. we don't eat out of season or non local berries usually)

i am happy to start eating e2l again!!
Mmmmm...strawberries aren't out locally until July, but there are a lot of nicer ones available now from slighty warmer climes.

I have bowls of strawberries, cherries, peapods and blueberries on the kitchen table for me and my kids to snack on.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
that's all you've eaten by 5 PM??? no wonder you are tired! the bare minimum of calories you should be eating is 1200 a day. that's bare minimum. are you tracking what you eat?

No, it was only about 1:00pm!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Today by 9:30 AM, BOWL OF OATMEAL WITH ONE VERY LARGE BANANA AND A SMALL HANDFUL OF NUTs mixed in, it was yummy! I'm off to the farmers market now so I'm going to get lots of good things!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 PM

From what I can tell I'm getting about 1,800 calories a day, but I'm nursing my toddler, so hopefully that isn't too high. What are you guys eating calorie wise?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:20 PM

I'm not counting calories but I can tell if I'm in a "weight loss" mode by a little empty feeling (not exactly hunger) when I fall asleep at night? I think I'm a little higher in the nut/seed supplements than the book suggests for the 6 week plan, but I'm pretty active, always outdoors with my kids and home daycare so I think I need a little more than average.

Last night for dinner, we did a firepit with roasted sausages for everyone but me. I wrapped a couple of portobello mushrooms, seasoned with lemon juice and sea salt, in tinfoil and put it on the fire till tender and steaming. Mmmmm. That and a bowl of blueberries was my dinner and I didn't crave anything else at all!

Today, I made my apples/oatmeal/cinnamon/dash of granola breakfast, and added a tsp of almond butter, too. This did well for me. Didn't need my mid-morning emergency cashews. Also a cup of coffee with soymilk ( I usually use cow's milk).

Midmorning snack was a glass of leftover green smoothie from yesterday.

For lunch, filled 1.5 quart casserole dish with chopped cabbage, red peppers, and mushrooms , steamed till cooked, and tossed it with a tbsp of my favorite jarred Thai Green Coconut Curry Sauce, some cilantro and lime juice, and a little extra sprinkle of chilis. About 35 calorie per tbsp dressing, but oh, it was divine. A revelation to me that I can make a curry dish without the meat and rice and with barely any sauce and it taste better than ever!

For dinner, low fat white bean and grilled red pepper dip with pea pods, and a blender of spinach/banana/fresh cherry smoothie, which I'll be working on all evening.

My naughty thing is that I had a diet cola with ice and some gum with aspartame this afternoon. I don't believe artificial sweeteners are healthy for me, but they go along with hot summer weather for me, somehow, and we had a scorcher. Have to work on some herbal iced teas that will hit the spot without sugar.

Dd smelled and tasted my breakfast and made some of her own, with a sprinkle of brown sugar and milk on top of hers. She picked up my Eat To Live library copy and started browsing through it and by the end of the morning was indoctrinating her younger brothers on the benefits of a high-veg/fruit, low fat/sugar diet. So by lunchtime everyone was busy making sure they got plenty of the good stuff ::

And : for my first totally dairy-free day, no cows milk in my coffee, today!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Ok, I said earlier that I don't own a scale, but I did get weighed at my dr's office 9 days ago, 2 days before I started ETL. I've been feeling so good that today stopped into the office and asked to weigh myself today. I'm 3 kg, or a little under 7 pounds, less today!

Very motivating....I know that there is always a little extra weight loss the first few days of a diet, but I'm still feeling proud of myself. And it has been pretty easy -- only had one strong craving for a greasy plate of cheesy nachos last night, but managed to convince myself to go to bed early instead. I think I crave junk when I'm tired. And I think dairy-free is good for me. I'm practically eating a vegan diet, wow!

Treated myself to a bean burrito in a bowl this evening (and watched how they made it because I want to stock my fridge with the ingredients .)
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
From what I can tell I'm getting about 1,800 calories a day, but I'm nursing my toddler, so hopefully that isn't too high. What are you guys eating calorie wise?

if you go to fitday.com and put in your current weight, hight, weight loss goal and time frame it will tell you how much to eat. and then track it on fit day!

i have a friend who started restricting calories while running 5 days a week and nursing a toddler and now she got some issues. she's lost weight, but her period went away and hasn't come back. she's gained back weight, weaned her toddler, stopped restricting calories, cut back on running and still no period. she's seen 3 docs and no answers. now she's going to try acupuncture. you have to be careful how much your restrict.

i am aiming for 1800 calories a day, and sometimes it's less, but it gives me a good goal to making sure i am getting enough good stuff to eat.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
i am aiming for 1800 calories a day, and sometimes it's less, but it gives me a good goal to making sure i am getting enough good stuff to eat.
I am not a calorie counter and don't intend to do this regularly, but I did plug my first couple of days' menu into an online counter and came up with around 1600. I've had to add in an extra handful of nuts in the morning to get my energy going, so around 1800, now, I think.

I am not nursing (wish I still were, but that's another post) and am moderately active. When I wear a pedometer, it is 15 000 steps, easy and I have done a lot of digging in the garden so far this spring, and I am often sore from it.

I want to get into some more formal weight training again and a fun exercise routine for the summer -- maybe this is the year I really get good at hula-hooping! Or yoga outside in the early morning... What is everyone else doing?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM

went to a yoga class yesterday FINALLY. it was great, but my kids HATED childwatch. so i am not sure what to do.

we are off to a different Y this morning, since it is still raining here. at least i will get a chance to soak in the hot tub for a few, (i am SORE) since another mama is meeting us.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Not posting much, but trying to keep on track despite the curveballs life can through. For exercise I am running. I did 2.5 miles today. I also want to be better about taking the dog on a long walk, for her and me.

BTW, you can stream very good yoga classes on yogatoday.com.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm here! I'm so glad someone started a new thread! Thanks for that!

I was doing so amazingly well in May and early June. I completed a perfect 6 weeks and dropped 2 pant sizes (I, too, don't weigh myself).

And then, it happened. I got sick. I got this viral illness that most adults are immune to (5th disease), and it pretty much knocked my on my ass for the past 3 weeks. I just didn't have the strength to stick to any kind of a plan, and didn't have much of an appetite, either, so I just ate pretty much anything, meaning a lot of yogurt and honey and nuts, and a lot of brown rice, and some fruit but not a whole damn lot by way of greens.

I don't feel like I've gained much weight back yet, but if I continue in this vein it is sure to happen.

I want to start back tomorrow. I tried today, but I had some yogurt and what-not to finish up. Plus I'm a little stressed out because we're invited to SIL's house and we're not really getting along of late.

Anyhow, tomorrow will be the start of a brand new 6 week cycle for me. It's such a good time for E2L, with all the amazing summer fruits coming in waves. And when the weather's warmer, I'm more enthusiastic about salads and green smoothies.

Yippee!

User Tag List