Late June/July Yoga Mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-27-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope no one minds my starting a thread for yoga mamas for the next month. I haven't been a part of you ladies before, but I am starting to practice yoga as my primary form of exercise. I am cutting out formal cardio for now.

There is no yoga studio anywhere close to me as I am living in a very rural area, so my practice is with DVDs. I've practiced on and off never really seriously (except during pregnancy) for 10 years. I had never paid attention to the style of yoga I did. I started with a Jane Fonda DVD of Sun Salutations. I've more recently done Vinyasa with Baron Baptiste, and the podcasts with Jason Crandall.

Anyway, in pregnancy I found Shiva Rhea and Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa. I like them both, but really connected with what Gurmukh taught. Now, I have found that it is Kundalini Yoga. I recently got a Maya Fiennes DVD of restorative yoga from Netflix and I love it! Kundalini is where I'm going to stay right now. It cracks me up to read the Wikipedia explanation of Kundalini yoga - I'm sure to get Kundalini Syndrome and be the nuttiest person around.

So, I've noticed great differences right away especially in my mood. I'm hoping I can maintain my 100 pound weight lost, keep up my endurance (I can run 3 miles now), help repair my body from illness and thyroid issues, and help me to create a mental peace.

Now, your turn...
What kind of yoga do you practice? Why?
How often?
Do you practice formally or at home?
Do you feel like it is worthwhile even if you can't practice with an instructor?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 28 Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

kundalini yoga is a great practice, and even though you are in a rural area, still look around for teachers. some of the greatest schools in the country (US) are in rural areas! if you need help, you can PM me.

i practice in the krishnamacharya lineage. krishnamacharya was the teacher of iyengar, pattabi jois (astanga; recently passed), and desikachar (viniyoga). i currently practice with dharma mittra (sivananda) when i can. i enjoy his humor and practice, but i still 'stick' with the krishnamacharya lineage.

i just find yoga to be profoundly effective.

i'm really excited because my husband FINALLY agreed to care for our son while i get a class! my student-teachers are self teaching (practice teaching) once a week together, and they invited me to 'take' their class. it's at a time perfect for our family, and they want to give it to me for free (they pay each other 'by donation' which usually involves baked goods!).

my home practice is about 30 minutes a day without the baby, which is great for me. i feel awesome when/after i practice. it just feels so good!

anyway, that's me.
#3 of 28 Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

oh, and yes, i feel it is worthwhile to practice without a teacher if one isn't available. having a teacher is a GREAT benefit, but if there isn't one available, then no big deal. it's better to practice than not practice!
#4 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM

Oh, a yoga thread! I was just looking for something like this last night and here it is! :

What kind of yoga do you practice? Why? I think it's Vinyasa. I'm honestly not too sure about all the different styles. What ever Bryan Kest and the Yoga Zone workouts are.

How often? I haven't done yoga in a looong time but plan on going back to doing it every day!

Do you practice formally or at home? At home. Never have practiced anywhere else.

Do you feel like it is worthwhile even if you can't practice with an instructor? Absolutely! I feel so much better about myself/my body when I do yoga!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#5 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 AM

eastkygal, I'm so glad for you that you have found yoga to be good for your healing process!
Kundalini yoga is wonderful!

I believe yoga has been a major factor in my body's ability to repair damage done by MS and though it hasn't cured it, it has helped me be able to redirect and strengthen!

My main practice for asana is astanga, but I also practice a yogic lifestyle, the eight limbs of yoga. It has really changed my life.
I found that when I added cardio and weightlifting back into my exercise routine after establishing a regular yoga practice, I was able to perform those more effectively and without as much strain, see better results!

I practice every day. Even when I'm unable to physically practice asana, I practice it in my mind and find that I have not lost ground when the physical ability comes back.

My absolute favorite is to practice at a yoga studio and it's been great for me to be exposed to different styles of teaching and yoga.
I definitely think it is worthwhile to practice at home!

Right now I'm 22 weeks pregnant so I have modified my practice a bit but still love the power and strength I feel when practicing during pregnancy.

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM

recently i took my first class. up until now i have been totally self taught. i have fibro and had PPD and stopped practicing for several years. i recently realized that the only way i would be able to do yoga is to stick my kids in childwatch at the Y and take a class. i took a class that is very popular with an anusara teacher. even though i have not practiced in a long time, the teacher said my form was excellent and she was happy to have me in her class (which is not for beginners). so obviously, even though i am not nearly as strong or flexible then i used to be, my home practice has been worthwhile.

this made me feel really good, since i have had a lot of sadness about the loss of my practice.

of course my children hated childwatch and i haven't figured out how to get back there for another class. :

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not really sure how I'm going to work yoga into my daily schedule. I so need the focus of not having the girls around, so I will have to wait until after they are sleeping, which is what I have been doing. Around 9pm. I hope that works out. I'm used to exercising during the daylight hours before noon usually.

Meditation - What is it to you? I know it isn't absence of all thought. What exactly does it mean to quiet the mind? To think and not respond? To be aware, but simply be present in that awareness? My mind flits and flutters all over the place, especially during svasana(sp?). But, I do feel like I'm making improvements and feel great afterward.

I am enjoying practicing at home. There are some things that will be hard to know if I am doing exactly right - like breath of fire and cannon breath without at teacher. It's hard to mimic something unseen.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#8 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post

Meditation - What is it to you? I know it isn't absence of all thought. What exactly does it mean to quiet the mind? To think and not respond? To be aware, but simply be present in that awareness? My mind flits and flutters all over the place, especially during svasana(sp?). But, I do feel like I'm making improvements and feel great afterward.
Here's what Sadie Nardini has to say about that. I just came across her on Youtube yesterday and am thinking about getting one of her yoga DVDs and possibly her book. She's got tons of videos on Youtube as well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCvvOsC3Ac

#9 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

meditation practices are diverse, but at the most basic level, the meditative mind is a focused mind. it is empty of all other thoughts than the single focus. it is difficult to maintain this level of focus, which is why we *practice* meditation.

there are many methods that one can utilize to practice meditation from mantras to walking to whatever. lots and lots of different kinds. just look around and see what works for you. my husband and i both utilize zen sessin meditation practice. it is what makes sense to us.
#10 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to ractice during nap time today... no good. DD1 whined at me the entire time, and DD2 woke 30 minutes into the practice in the middle of cannon breath. The Maya Fiennes DVD I've been doing is 1 hour long. It is so hard for me to get to a point of stillness with others in the room and such. DH will have to watch me at night when he is home. I'm not going to be able to get it in any earlier. I had to stop abruptly and now I feel all weird. I'll do it again tonight... hopefully without interruption.

#11 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM

I didn't know there was a new thread. I'm glad I checked today.

What kind of yoga do you practice? Why? I practice a variety of forms, but mostly Indra Devi, which is what my 200 hour certification is in.

How often? not often enough, I'm trying to re-establish a daily practice.

Do you practice formally or at home? at home, finances currently prevent me from working at a studio

Do you feel like it is worthwhile even if you can't practice with an instructor? yes, a teacher is worth his/her weight in gold but I enjoy a solitary practice as well

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#12 of 28 Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I attempted my practice twice yesterday having to end abruptly both times. With a cranky little one who didn't want to sleep away from me yesterday, I couldn't get it in. It left me headachy having to stop things in the middle twice.

Given the scenario of no consistent babysitting options for me and no formal classes, I'm interested in hearing how mothers with small children practice yoga. DD2 has never liked the Mom and Baby DVDs, so that's out. I kind of need some encouragement that I can have a worthwhile practice and be a mama.

Today I opted for a hike outdoors instead of a practice because DD2 is still out of sorts.

#13 of 28 Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I attempted my practice twice yesterday having to end abruptly both times. With a cranky little one who didn't want to sleep away from me yesterday, I couldn't get it in. It left me headachy having to stop things in the middle twice.

Given the scenario of no consistent babysitting options for me and no formal classes, I'm interested in hearing how mothers with small children practice yoga. DD2 has never liked the Mom and Baby DVDs, so that's out. I kind of need some encouragement that I can have a worthwhile practice and be a mama.

Today I opted for a hike outdoors instead of a practice because DD2 is still out of sorts.
I feel for you! I've been there myself 2x (we never had any babysitters for our kids when they were little and no family around..) Honestly, the only time I could work out (do yoga, do cardio on the stat. bike, lift weights etc.) was either a) very early in the morning (I often woke up at 5 am and worked out for 1 hr when I knew that the kids would sleep until 7-8 am) or b) in the evening once the kids were in bed and dinner was digested. Obviously, working out in the evening is sometimes the less diserable choice as one might be tired/exhausted from the day etc., however in regards to yoga I actually preferred doing it in the evening as it calmed me down and prepared me for sleeping.
I hope you'll find a solution that works for you! (Can you maybe intentionally split the yoga routine up to where it might work out with your DD #2's nap time?)

#14 of 28 Old 07-01-2009, 05:03 PM

I've just gotten into Vinyasa yoga, and so far it's my favorite! :
#15 of 28 Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM

I have recently started practicing yoga again. I have started out with my prenatal DVD's to ease back into it. I wish there was a place to practice where I live. The community center has offered some classes but they are very basic and I am past that, I need a little more of a chalenge. I am going for Yoga in the morning and a nice walk in the evening. Dh and I are ttc baby #3 and I would like to shape up a little before I am pg again. I would love to practice outside of home but as I said before no such luck in this area. Glad I found this thread.

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#16 of 28 Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

I had to send the Maya Fiennes Kundalini DVD back to Netflix today. It was a great one, and I'll be looking for a copy on Ebay. So, now there is no Kundalini DVD for me. I did get in an hour of a rather peaceful practice today. Vinyasa with Baron Baptiste which is a VHS I got for $1 at Dollar General. I was surprised at how much easier it was after a week of the Kundalini yoga last week. Today was a good practice.

I also weighed myself and I haven't gained any weight! I'm going on 2 weeks with no formal cardio other than the hike I took yesterday. Just yoga. :

I'm wondering... When I took prenatal classes at a studio, the teacher had us doing different things every class. It was a once a week class. When doing a home practice, should I stick to one DVD/teacher for awhile, or switch it up different every practice for the week and then start again in the next week to repeat? I noticed some comments on another forum talking about concentrating on a particular practice for weeks at a time. That seems like it might be beneficial, or switching between just two practices.

Also, is there a good book that would help me with my home practice? Like a Yoga for Dumbies, but "true" yoga instruction? I'd like to get a little philosophy along with poses and combos with explanations of the whys and hows. I'm most interested in Kundalini right now, but a general yoga book would be fine too.

#17 of 28 Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Gumukh herself has written some books. I haven't read it but The Eight Human Talents looks like a good one.
http://store.goldenbridgeyoga.com/in...roducts_id=146

I kinda look at the classes as a lecture and your home practice like homework.

Speaking of which, I found a teacher who runs her classes on a donation basis. I can afford a donation of $5-15/week and the class is at the beach. :

#18 of 28 Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

with practice, it's up to you how you want to do it. for example, some people practice astanga or bikram for years. it's the same every time--the exact same sequence, etc.

on the other hand, some people (like me) just like things to vary. i tend to teach certain postures, but in different sequences, and i also tend to practice that way. it's creative and fun and natural for me. when practicing at home, i just do what i feel my body wants me to do!

with kundalini yoga, typically once you start the practice, you have to finish it or it can cause discomforts and imbalances. kundalini practices are designed to heighten the energy to a certain point, and then lower that energy, and then rest to recalibrate, and then you can return to normal life. in fact, most yoga classes/practices are built this way, but with kundalini in particular, that is an aspect of the modality.

so, if you think you're going to be interrupted, another form is probably better.

to avoid interruption, i told my husband i needed time. i am happy to practice with hawk climbing on me for about 20 mintues, but i get at least 30 minutes a day to myself. that's when i practice.
#19 of 28 Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Sometimes the kids practice with me and sometimes I need to practice alone. DH and my mom are very understanding and will distract the kids if needed.

#20 of 28 Old 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

i went to class on thursday night and it was great. all of my teachers in training have been teaching each other for months, and they invited me to come. it was really great to see the work they had done, what they had accomplished. they're very cool.

class was tough, and my b utt hurt for days. so, it was good! LOL

and, i'm down to a 28 inch waist! only two inches left to go to be back to pre-pregnancy!
#21 of 28 Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I just finished an hour long Baron Baptiste Vinyasa VHS. DD2 napped the whole time. I had to contend with DD1 playing around me, and the phone ringing once (have to remember to turn off that ringer), but other than that it was nice.
I have been sore (a good sore) the last week... from yoga!! Weightlifting, and all that jazz rarely made me sore even when I worked myself beyond beyond.
I approached yoga before as just an exercise. Now, I'm looking at all 8 principles of yoga. Real yoga... The challenge for me will be meditation. I have never been able to quiet my mind or set me eyes for very long at all. I can't tune out my surroundings, or at least not be jerked around by them. Savasana will be my biggest challenge. I'm wondering if I should look into guided meditation first... maybe do a meditation practice along with my asana practice but also separate.???
I have though experienced the breath changing the way my body feels for the first time. Ohhh, that was nice.

#22 of 28 Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

ecknath eswaran has a great book on the various types of meditation that you might like to try. it's called Meditation.
#23 of 28 Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM

Yay...a yoga mama thread :

I have practiced on and off for years...hatha, ashtanga, vinyasa...The past two years I was living in India (for my dh's job) and it was so inexpensive and accessible and I had childcare and household help...that for the first time I felt really able to focus on consistent practice. My practice was with the Bihar school (one of the largest schools of yoga in India...kind of it's own mix of traditional styles) and it was the first time that I consistently integrated not only asana, but pranayama and meditation and lifestyle on a regular basis. It made a huge difference physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually and I can't imagine focusing only on asana, now. Yoga is so much more than the physical form. A few months before we moved home I essentially stopped practicing...became very stressed...gained 20 pounds etc etc etc We're back in the states and I was so happy to find a new studio, a 3 minute drive from my home...with a 6 am class that meets three days a week...it's a heated Vinayas flow and the heat element is new to me. I add in the pranayama at the end of the class on my own and I'm working on the meditation piece. I'd like to be practicing at home at least another couple of days and with my kids a couple days a week but we haven't got that kind of rhythm quite yet. And I'd love to lose the extra 20 pounds but that hasn't happened either!!

I do think that home practice is very worth it but I also believe that a good teacher can help you take your practice alot further...so when or if you can afford or find that...it is really worth the money. It helps to have a dh that really sees how much of a difference yoga makes in my health and relationships and is able to support that financially (I am a hs'ing SAHM).

anyway, glad to be amongst other yogis!

Chandra F.
mom to G(8) and O (5)
#24 of 28 Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

you're so blessed to hvae had that opporunity in india. i look forward to going to india myself for a time!

my students are setting up their week of classes with each other--tonight, tomorrow night, and thursday night. and now we're setting up more teacher training and a long practice (3 hrs). it's pretty sweet!
#25 of 28 Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome new yoga Mamas! :
Though my focus has been lacking the last few practices, I'm loving my practice. I have added Pranayama the last two days. That is interesting. It is so difficult for me to control my breath. I started this morning with the breathing and six sun salutations on the back patio of the cabin. DD2 was climbing on and around me, but I pushed through trying not to let it make me angry. It worked well.
This afternoon I did a vinyasa session with Jason Crandall doing shoulder openers. I have thyroid issues, and I believe it is a bit swollen right now, so the opening there felt good.
Savasana went well too. Though I can't manage actually quieting my mind, I am working on personal mantras. Today's was "Delight in Abundance through Me." I could feel the warmth of the sun through the window pour over me, and I got the sensation of melting into the floor, but somehow lifting out of my body at the same time. So, relaxing.

#26 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 PM

july is almost over and i found this just in time!

been doing ashtanga on and off for a few years...done nothing more than sun salutations since my son was born, over 3 years ago! but now, found kundalini again and this is it! i feel great. headache issues, bad ones. nothing takes them away...hoping this does! anyone else do kundalini? any free vids online you can recomend? i´m in mexico now and the distances in mexico city are huge, so i´ve been practicing at home. also a massage therapist, so this is really helping.

sat nam!
#27 of 28 Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post
july is almost over and i found this just in time!

been doing ashtanga on and off for a few years...done nothing more than sun salutations since my son was born, over 3 years ago! but now, found kundalini again and this is it! i feel great. headache issues, bad ones. nothing takes them away...hoping this does! anyone else do kundalini? any free vids online you can recomend? i´m in mexico now and the distances in mexico city are huge, so i´ve been practicing at home. also a massage therapist, so this is really helping.

sat nam!
I am a Kundalini lover!!! I suggest checking out www.3HO.org and www.yogatech.com. I believe Guru Rattana has some online classes. Gurmukh Khalsa has some online meditations www.goldenbridgeyoga.com

There is a whole 50 minute beginner class on YouTube here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbzxMsjbIk
I don't think it is completely authentic, but decent enough in a pinch.

I am practicing on my own as well. No teachers anywhere near. Hope these help.

#28 of 28 Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 PM

subbing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page