July Dingoes ~ Running into the Sun - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 722 Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Plady do you still have room for a roomie?
I do, I just have the room for that Saturday and Sunday nights but it's only a few blocks from the start/finish. And I'd be happy to split the space with you, my valley girl roomie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
...so, no takers on my dh?
Ya know, no offense Jo, but I kind of expected a better salespitch considering you're a pro and all .

I feel like I've been offline forever! I'm just having no luck getting typing done. Anyway, it's fun reading race reports, congrats to all who ran!
We were on the fence about doing a 5k this morning as a family but ended up sleeping in a bit and skipping it. That's okay though, tomorrow is my 20 miler and I'm a wee bit intimidated. I think I can do it, I just hope it doesn't kill me. I'm starting at 5:30 to try to get it done before it's too hot and I think RP is going to run with me and maybe one other mother that I know a bit. I'm a little worried that they will influence my pace and start me off too fast because they are both strong runners and will only be going out for 10 miles of it. I tried to convince RP to do the second 10 miles but no dice. But I'll try to be firm in my plodding pace! But at the end of the run I'm meeting up with dh and the girls at the Firehouse for pancakes, so that should provide sufficient incentive to keep me going right?

Alrighty, enjoy the rest of your 4ths! :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#122 of 722 Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
bec, are you in CL? And are you running the Chicago Marathon? I should check the race list.
I'm about 20-30 minutes east of Crystal Lake! I'm doing the Milwaukee Marathon (much, much smaller, and supposed to be much nicer) on October 4.

Plady - Good luck on your 20! I'm more than a little nervous about my twenties coming up. They're still far enough away that I can sort of ignore them for now, though!

12 on the schedule for tomorrow.

Congrats on the PR CFG!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#123 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 AM

I'm back home, showered, and EXHAUSTED!

Congrats to all the racers today, sounds like a good day was had by all! Plady, go get 'em tomorrow, you're gonna do great!

As for me, holy cow. What a day. I eclipsed my distance PR by a LONG margin. I ended up doing 50 miles on the bike, followed by a 10 mile run. It was pretty slow, but I felt good, and I really felt like I could keep going. But, I didn't, because 20 would have just been crazy. :

I'll post back tomorrow with details, my brain is too foggy to think much now. The rest of the crew did phenomenal, and yes, they did all 17 hours.

Time for some

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#124 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Whoa, Gaye! That sounds like an epic day of training! Congratulations to you (and to your friends who did the 17 hours of craziness thing ). Hope you got lots of good sleep last night.

Great job, Penelope! You may think you were slow, but a 2:17 half-marathon is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.

Congratulations cornflake girl on that PR!!!!

Bec and DrJen, glad you both had good 5Ks too. Bec, your DD is running great!

Everything here was totally rained out yesterday, except for the parade in the morning. We ended up driving to the outlet mall and getting new Crocs for all three kids and some clothes for them for our trip. As always, Mama bought herself nothing :. Someday I'll go shopping all by myself and maybe actually spend some money on ME! Last night my friend and her two kids came over for pizza. Her DH works with mine and is currently in Alabama for 6 weeks with some cadets, so we're both solo this summer.

This morning it's still raining, but will hopefully clear for my bike ride this afternoon and the fireworks tonight . Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#125 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM

JayGee. It's hard to buy clothes for yourself when a. you have to try them on in front of a child or children and b. at least one of them keeps trying to open the dressing room door. YMMV!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#126 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
bec

Gaye - You are making me feel like such a wimp for not wanting to do my 12 today!

JayGee - I have been there, done that, don't have the t-shirt. This is one of the reasons I like Costco. I can often get to the grocery by myself, and they have a bunch of cute stuff, too. Of course, no dressing rooms. I hope you get out soon for some retail therapy!

I have a headache this morning. I'm still trying to force myself out the door. I know once I get out, everything will be fine, but somehow, getting out is getting tough! I just want to laze about and do nothing!

#127 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM

AACK! I lost the thread when the month changed. Where did June go?

I ran for the second time with my new running buddy this morning. I am so psyched to have someone to run with. I forgot how much it helps. I really like to run solo, but this is good for me. My new shoes were GREAT. Can't wait to pack them up with my camping stuff later this week!
#128 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Gaye - 50 on the bike and a run afterward?? You are almost as crazy as the 17 hour people!

plady - how was the 20? Getting out the door at 5:30 is insane! I stuggled to get out by 8 today. Of course I paid for it in the heat toward the end.

rr: 21.26 miles! It's all downhill from here, but I really don't feel ready for 26.2 at all. That's far! The 5k yesterday was a bad bad idea. All of you with ultra sensitive ears and/or young kids or animals who were agitated by a mystery high pitched noise all morning ending about noon PST, I'm sorry, that was my quads screaming in agony for the entire duration of my run. Good thing I have a stubborn streak, or I don't think I would have pushed through that.
#129 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
All of you with ultra sensitive ears and/or young kids or animals who were agitated by a mystery high pitched noise all morning ending about noon PST, I'm sorry, that was my quads screaming in agony for the entire duration of my run. Good thing I have a stubborn streak, or I don't think I would have pushed through that.
#130 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM
bec

I chose sleep over comfort today. Rather than get up at the butt crack of dawn to do my long run and have cooler weather, I slept till 8:30, lounged over my coffee and got my behind out the door around 11:00. Just in time for the heat of the day! The middle 6 weren't too bad, because they were through a forest preserve that was mostly shady, but it was hot and hard. Only the fact that we were out with the kids past ten for fireworks kept me from getting up early, so this will, hopefully not happen too often.

Oh, and I am seriously chafed on some of my girly bits, so that's a bit uncomfortable. whistle Apparently, I need to Body Glide my ass now.

Anyway, it's done, and I'm glad I finished, even if it was slow and I was dying near the end!

#131 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:26 PM
bec

Serial posting to ask what happened to the signatures?

#132 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Those runs are getting long!!

I'm home now. Duh. I think others have said

My parents live in such a posh area. Instead of loose, random pit bulls and rottweilers all I saw when I was running were golden retrievers. Not only that but they were on leashes of all things AND the owners made them sit while I passed. Add that to the portapotties everywhere and the paved bike trails that run alongside all the roads and I thoroughly enjoyed my run this morning. At one point I could see three possible bathrooms even though I was a mile from their house. Too bad I only ever have to go when there is no bathroom around. My dad cooked for me, my mom ran around town with me, my dh watch the big kids at the book store so I could run around town, and we watched the fireworks at their shop in out of the rain with a clean, private bathroom. Remembering I didn't want to go shames me.

I am still hoping for quick, good news from the pediatrician regarding Linus and the peanuts. :

bec, when do you hear back about Katie?

Gaye, that is a crazy amount of calories expended, I hope you got to make up for it.

Kristina, you'll be out west soon enough with even better stores and a dh to watch the kiddos.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#133 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I chose sleep over comfort today. Rather than get up at the butt crack of dawn to do my long run and have cooler weather, I slept till 8:30, lounged over my coffee and got my behind out the door around 11:00. Just in time for the heat of the day! The middle 6 weren't too bad, because they were through a forest preserve that was mostly shady, but it was hot and hard. Only the fact that we were out with the kids past ten for fireworks kept me from getting up early, so this will, hopefully not happen too often.

Oh, and I am seriously chafed on some of my girly bits, so that's a bit uncomfortable. whistle Apparently, I need to Body Glide my ass now.

Anyway, it's done, and I'm glad I finished, even if it was slow and I was dying near the end!
When I did the breast cancer 3 day in 95+ temps, we Body Glided our asses and everything else!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#134 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Gaye - 50 on the bike and a run afterward?? You are almost as crazy as the 17 hour people!
<snip>
that was my quads screaming in agony
a) Not even close to their level of insanity, I barely did a third of what they did! and b):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
This is one of the reasons I like Costco. I can often get to the grocery by myself, and they have a bunch of cute stuff, too. Of course, no dressing rooms.
Here's my solution to the Costco conundrum: pick out cute stuff to try on (in multiple sizes, if necessary). Buy it. Go to the restroom and try it on. Return as necessary. A little bit of a hassle, but saves a return trip by cutting out the step of getting it home to try on!

I am SO tired today. I can't possibly imagine why. I did not sleep well at all last night. I think it was one of those too tired to sleep deals. It was 1am by the time I wound down enough (I thought) to go to bed, at 3 I gave up and took some Tylenol pm, the dog had to go out at 6 b/c he wouldn't pee when I took him before bed. : I stayed in bed until around 9:30 when I finally got up just because I wasn't really sleeping, even though I was still exhausted!

So here's the wrap-up of yesterday's activities:
I headed out to the state park around 10:30 since we were supposed to be ready to go for the second bike loop at 11:30. The group rolled in from the first loop right on schedule, and we got ready to head out. There were about 12 of us, I think, on the second ride. I expected to be in the back of the group, and I was. I had been told that they were taking a very easy pace, but my definition of easy and most of theirs is something quite different! Most of the group took off when we hit the big climb, but there were three of us (including one of the 17 hr training day people, Andrea) still together in the back. We did a pretty decent climb and hit the top right around 16 miles, then we got to turn around and fly back down! SO much fun. I think I averaged right around 30 mph for about 8 miles before it levelled out a bit. At this point, we were done with the planned route, but still had over 2 hours to go before it was time to transition to the run. We headed back to base camp so Andrea could refill her water, and then went out for two loops around the state park. I was getting pretty tired, but there was no way I was going to give up when Andrea had been going for so long! Around 40 miles, my knee started to hurt a bit, but I knew we were really close to being done. Unfortunately, the last 10 miles or so had some pretty big rollers that hurt, but I toughed through it, and then we were back at camp for the transition to the run.

I changed into my running gear, grabbed my camelbak, and downed some bloks. There were about 8 or so heading out for the first loop of the run, but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with the main group. Luckily, Andrea and I matched up really, really well and so I ran with her for the whole loop. Which was good, as she was starting to fade, and really needed the support. It was a really good run, if slow. My legs felt GREAT coming off of 50 miles on the bike, I couldn't believe it. I think part of it was that the bloks I ate had caffeine and they kicked in perfectly. We started out at about an 11 minute pace, but slowed down as the miles went on. There was a bit of walking, and a few potty stops. Miles 2-4 were on a very narrow dirt trail through some high grass, and I felt like we were bushwhacking! Right around mile 5, we hit the one big uphill, running up the dam, and this was right when it started to rain. It had been spitting a bit all day, but nothing significant. It rained pretty good, and it started getting cold. I didn't plan very well and had only brought a tank and shorts to run in, nothing warmer. Luckily Andrea had both a jacket and arm warmers, and she loaned me her jacket. The top of the dam was never ending (probably about 2.5-3 miles) and flat, and straight, and boring, and it was raining, and my quads were starting to speak to me not-so-nicely. That was probably the low point of the run, but Andrea and I were doing all right, just chatting and trying to keep spirits up. When we came down off the dam, we were on a really pretty trail through the woods. At about 8.5, Andrea had a blister pop and we didn't have any supplies to fix it up. We were right at a picnic site with a bathroom, so we stopped for a potty break and to try to fix it up, but all we could come up with was jamming some toilet paper in to try and pad it. She was in a lot of pain, but we kept going! I got my second wind around mile 9 and then for the rest of the way in, I just tried my best to keep Andrea going. I was really worried about sending her back out for another loop, but luckily there was someone else there to take over and go out with her. We did our best to patch up her blister, and off she went.

I got changed into some dry clothes and got my burger on the grill (we were slow, so everybody else had already eaten) and settled in by the fire to wait. It was a GREAT spot to watch the fireworks from, I think we could see at least four or five different "official" displays, in addition to the (illegal ) neighborhood fireworks in the area. At just a few minutes before 10, the crew (except Andrea) jogged into camp, totally exhausted but really proud of themselves. They swam for 2.5 hours, biked for 8 (probably over 100 miles) and ran 3 loops of the park (30 miles). Andrea made it into camp about 10 minutes later, having done the same thing except less one running loop. Amazing. I still think they're nuts, but they're going to be in GREAT shape for Ironman!

It was a really great experience for me, and I'm so glad I did it. I was really nervous about going since I know I'm slower than most of the group and didn't want to hold anybody back, but Andrea and I matched up really well, and it was great riding and running with her. I'm amazed at how well I did and how good I felt (for the most part) doing it. I really could have kept going at the end of the run. Mind you, I was exhausted and still am today, but my legs had some more miles in them.

So...I think I'm going to go ahead and register for that long course tri I've been thinking about for the past year. I know I didn't swim yesterday, but if I can ride 50 and run 10 and still have some steam left in my legs, I really think I can do it! Holy crap...

I'm pretty sore today, but not awful. Mostly just stiff and sore quads. I took the dog out for a wog (mostly walk) and feel a little better now. I really should do some homework, but I think I'm going to take a nap and just work my butt off tonight after DS is in bed.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#135 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM

bec~see the announcement at the top of the page...they removed all of them. I wonder when we can start putting them back?

#136 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I haven't been around here in forever but I think I am back for good now!

I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago and it went well. I already feel so much better, even knowing that I have a long healing time ahead of me before I am better than new

At this point I am only allowed to walk. I am supposed to keep it to two 5-10 minute walks a day but I have been going a little longer than that and I feel fine. I am not supposed to raise my heartrate at all until September so I guess I will stick with walking! I have to wait until six months post surgery to begin running which puts me at Christmas - it is a good thing I like winter running. I already have my couch to 5K plan printed out and tucked into my calendar for that last week of December. By then I expect to be walking close to an hour a couple of times a day so it should be a good transition. I think I can start lower body yoga by the end of the summer and I might try a couple of day passes to the gym to try a stationary bike a few times once I am allowed to do some cardio activity again.

I can't believe the difference already. The first time I stood up in the hospital I noticed that the neck and back pain were gone for the first time in 30 years - I had no idea the results would be felt so immediately! I still have a lot of swelling but I think I will be a B cup after the healing process is complete - so much nicer than a G cup!!!

I will read and catch up with everyone later
#137 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Awesome, Shanti! And ! Good to "see" you back again!

#138 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Gaye - You have me making a list of what I want to do before the big 4-0! I feel fitter than ever and really want to keep it going. Your day sounds amazing and inspiring.

Shanti, that is a huge difference is cup size. I didn't realize they would do so much at once but I guess multiple surgeries would be multiple risks and recoveries. I can't wait to hear how changed everything is for you - pain-wise, running-wise, and rest of life-wise.

#139 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
bec, when do you hear back about Katie?
The tech led me to believe sometime late this week. I'm thinking around Thursday or Friday, but hope to hear sooner. I'm feeling a little more relaxed about it. It's obvious that she is healthy other than the head movement. And my research seems to indicate that a worst case scenario for her symptoms is not all that bad and controllable with medication. I figure if I tell myself this enough, I'll even start to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
When I did the breast cancer 3 day in 95+ temps, we Body Glided our asses and everything else!
I'm thinking I need to get a separate stick of the stuff and label it with a big A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
bec~see the announcement at the top of the page...they removed all of them. I wonder when we can start putting them back?
Yeah, now I see it! It took me forever to get that thing sorted out with my little running guy!:

#140 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 PM

I lost my driver's license during my run today
I have this sweet little amphipod that geo gave me two secret sprinters ago - I love it. Sometimes I love it so much I try to cram my whole life in there before I head out on a solo run. Then, when I reach in to grab my phone to change music...sometimes things fall out and I don't notice.

Sigh.

So after my 8 miles (out and back) I drove to a parking lot near the halfway point and walked the last half where it likely happened and didn't see it. Since it's dh's birthday and I already felt kind of guilty taking off AGAIN in the morning (see: Father's Day) instead of letting him sleep in while i make breakfast, I bailed on walking the whole ^#% route.

Later, after a big brunch, we grabbed the kids' bikes and our skateboards - I bought DH a longboard for his bday - and skated 5 miles in the beginning to look for it. No luck.

I really don't want to head down to our crazy psychotic DMV with two kids in tow. I am not sure if I should wait a few days to see if someone mails it back? What would you guys do?

Plady - you rocked it today!:

Gaye - awesome! I knew you could do it...but to have some extra left in the tank? Great!

CFG - ouch! way to push through. You're ready for this mary!

Shanti - you had the surgery!! Awesome! I know how long you've waited and I'm glad it finally happened. Good to see you back

Mommajb - how's Linus feeling? hope you get good news

I gotta run... I owe dh a nice dinner and some lemon meringue pie for basically stealing his birthday to look for my id (he didn't complain one bit today, I just feel bad)

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#141 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Poppy, CA DMV's take appointments, and you don't have to go to the local one.

Bec, I met a family down the block at yesterday's block party. The 7 year old has a form of epilepsy that causes her to blank out for 10 seconds at a time 2-3 times an hour. Both she and the mom said that life is so much happier and better with a diagnosis and medication. Whatever your experience, I hope you have a similar positive outcome.

Today I paid up on fathers day -- we took the bikes to the nearest rails to trails, rode 5 miles, had a fancy picnic lunch, got ice cream, and came home. Ran 4 with my RP tonight. M and W are scheduled as well for this week, then we head to NY!
#142 of 722 Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 PM

urgh. I don't do well when my kids are maniacs because they aren't sleeping.

my forward motion to report: 1.5 BRISK walk with dd2 in the jogger due to her failure to sleep this evening. It was seriously child abuse prevention. Only I had my nice clothes on still from a family dinner (we're at ILs house and they invited four extended family members over for dinner).

One more day here then rally the troops for 9+ hours in the car to go visit their other grandmother. The one who hasn't even met my 3.5 yr old and my 6.5 yr old met her once (at 6.5 yr old's Baptism 6 years ago). My own mother. I have serious guilt issues and want (sort of) to visit her but she's made some seriously bad decisions with her adult life, it had major influence on my adult life and frankly I hate that I feel such guilt over not taking her grandkids to see her. H*ll I haven't even seen her in 6 years. Urgh. Hold me in your thoughts and prayers, please, this will be a trying week.

Shanti it's so nice to see you again! Hope your recovery is going ok.

Gaye you really must chill. You're doing the workouts I *wanted* to do pre-kids, when my only thing blocking me was work.

Poppy I would just go and get the new id. And then check for identity theft for a while. Sorry to hear about the loss. I hate the dmv, for any reason.

Everyone one else, .

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#143 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Dingos!

Bec - Sending good thoughts for Katie, glad to hear you're beginning to stand down from red alert.

Gaye - Oy what a day! I got tired just reading about it!

Shanti - Welcome back mama! Do you have before and after pix? I hope we'll get more Shanti time here soon!

CFG - on ignoring that high pitched squeal and running anyway! And after a 5k too!

My 20 turned into 21.33 because I had to detour for a bathroom stop and I'd already had to extend the route a little so I could meet up with the family in town for pancakes at the end of it all. I am very pleased to report that it wasn't that hard. By the last mile or so I felt like I was getting a blister on one foot and I was tired but I am sure I could have gone for the last 5 miles if I'd had more water and some cowbell. It was beautiful too, I saw a bunch of deer, One in particular looked posed for a tourist shot. She was all golden in the sunrise and standing in this mown hayfield with mist around her feet and in the distance was the Haro Strait and the Olympic mountains.
The only real bummer was that the pancakes just didn't do it for me! I really thought buttery syrupy pancakes would taste like heaven by the time I had them but they were just kind of blah. Definitely the best thing to be bummed about after that kind of run! Oh, and I came in at exactly 12:00/mile which was right at what I thought I should shoot for!

Gar, so I thought that today had gone better than usual for post-long run day but we're having a late day meltdown and I don't mean the kids.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#144 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 AM

muppet--yay for the PR and age division win! :

drjen--yay, great time!

bec--that's great about Katie's 5k!

Penelope--That sounds like fun, and yay for the PR.

cornflake--congrats on your PR as well!

tjsmama--awesome pics! And about the 50 biking and 10 running and still feeling great. I'm jealous! :

poppy--that stinks about your license.

kerc--sending good thoughts your way :

plady--yay for your 20 not being too hard.

Our 5-miler run went well. DH ended up moving more quickly than expected, especially after I explained that leaning forward on downhill slopes helps. I finished in 50:21 (10:04 pace) and he finished just 20 seconds later in 50:42 (10:08 pace). We ran together until the last 1/4 mile or so, when he said I could go faster if I wanted to and um, yeah, I did. Our first two miles were really fast--something like 9:00 each and mile 3 was about 9:30. Then his hip muscle tensed up some so we slowed down to 10:30 or so for mile 4 and most of 5. I expected to leave him in the dust for the last bit (my Garmin says I ran the last 1/4 mile at a 7:38 pace), so I was really surprised at how close our times were. He explained that after I took off, he ran as fast as he could trying to keep up. He said I was his motivation to finish fast. He has really long legs (he's 6'3" and I'm 4'11"), so that probably works to his advantage. Anyhow, he was pleased to see that his few weeks of training made a huge difference and that he didn't come in last in his age category. (ETA: this was an easy downhill race, hence the faster times. Usually DH runs a 12 min mile.)

I decided not to run back because I was feeling a bit stiff after the sprint. Given how my legs feel today (sore) I think that was a good idea, but given how long we had to wait for a shuttle bus back, I could have run back and been back to pick up DH before the bus came. At any rate, we had a nice time, and DD enjoyed the morning with her grandparents.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#145 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Gaye ~ you are seriously awesome ::. I'm just a little envious of your training day. I think you should definitely register for a long course race. Next summer is my summer for it .

Real ~ wonderful job on the 5-miler. And a big to your DH too!

Great to see you back, Shanti! Good luck with the healing from surgery.

Plady ~ you're awesome too! 21+ miles : Great job!

kerc ~ I'll be thinking of you this week. I hope the trip to your Mom's is enjoyable .

poppy ~ well, crud. I'm sorry about the license. The less time at the DMV, the better IMO.

mommajb ~ DH has already promised me an afternoon of shopping in Ft. Collins, all by myself ! Mama needs a new pair of shoes (or two)....

Well, I biked 20 miles yesterday with my friend and her husband and my left knee hurt the whole time. It's swollen on the lateral side and the numbness and tingling is continuing down the outside of my calf, crossing over my foot and into my big toe. I'm glad I've got an appointment with my PCP today, but since we're leaving on Wednesday, I doubt I'll be able to see the orthopedic specialist before then. I've really been banking on being able to bike without pain, since I can't run at all at the moment. But it looks like that's out for now too .

On the positive side, I took the kids to the carnival at church last night. At after two hours of playing there, we went inside for the most rockin' 80's music concert! My kids were dancing like crazy right up at the front with all their friends for 1.5 more hours. Then outside for some fantastic fireworks. The girls were out cold before we even got out of the parking lot. We just had so much fun!

Today, it's time to get cleaning and packing to get ready for our big western adventure :!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#146 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM

My car is all packed except for needing to throw the food in a cooler. Kids' backpacks are packed with plenty of activities to amuse them. Now all I have to do is get motivated to get dressed and take off! I'll "see" most of you in a week, but I'll see some of you in person before that! Have a great week everybody who is not on vacation!
#147 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 AM

A lot of these needed and deserved I think!

Shanti! Awesome! You have waited so long for this, I hope your healing goes off without a hitch.

Plady and CFG, awesome runs! And Plady, I get the meltdowns too. Hope all is OK.

kerc, safe travels and good luck with the rest. You're doing more than you have to. You're being a great person.

OMG I can't believe I just hit the reply button barely into this post. You guys, I am so. Friggin. Tired. I didn't get my LR in, instead we processed 100 chickens. After work today we have bales to unload. I am doing another 20-miler (hopefully a little plus, I had wanted to run a 22) this weekend with Reb and then it's taper time, but I don't feel even remotely prepared. My "training" has been lonely and sporadic and the rest of life has made it hard to enjoy.

That said, the last few weeks have cleared up the decisions for me, and now it is just a matter of getting the financials in order to transition to sahm. You ladies have known this longer than I have. I just needed to get to the point of accepting it. I am getting it now. I could list the reasons, but I only needed to do that to compel myself. It's coming soon. I am just going to concentrate hard over the next 2 mos on paying down debt so we can swing it.

Dh is home this week. He's planting two more trees and taking care of some weeds. We'll also be getting a couple loads of hay (and we'll be set for winter! Yes!) and I don't know what else we'll be doing, but I am going to run longish tomorrow (Tues is my stay-home day, but I am going to go in, just later than usual), get another decent run in, and pick up a fresh pair of shoes for my last 20-miler and the big run.

Enjoy the vacations and be safe, Dingos!
#148 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Have a great trip drjen and all the other campers!

kerc - I hope the visit with your mother has no lasting fall out and is tolerable while you are there.

poppy - I hope your license is on your winshield when you get up this morning and you no longer have to worry about dmv

bec - I wish I had saved my siggie too.

geo - your father's da payu doesn't sound so bad. I mean you got some ice cream too, right?

plady - way to go on the long run : Sorry about the late day melt down.

real - sounds like a fun race with your dh. I bet you look a bit like Mutt and Jeff to gether.

I can believe all the PR's for the dingos this weekend. : to all muppet, penelope, CFG, I hope I didn;t leave anyone out. Say so if I did. Some great times all around for the mommas and the dinglets. Then there is Gaye's crazy ride and run...

#149 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Bec, I met a family down the block at yesterday's block party. The 7 year old has a form of epilepsy that causes her to blank out for 10 seconds at a time 2-3 times an hour. Both she and the mom said that life is so much happier and better with a diagnosis and medication. Whatever your experience, I hope you have a similar positive outcome.
This is starting to be my larger fear. That we won't get a diagnosis this week. The unknown is soooo much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Bec - Sending good thoughts for Katie, glad to hear you're beginning to stand down from red alert.

The only real bummer was that the pancakes just didn't do it for me! I really thought buttery syrupy pancakes would taste like heaven by the time I had them but they were just kind of blah.
After my 12 in the sun, I ran straight to the parade (misjudged my timing a bit) and ran into my neighbor, who had watermelon juice with bits of watermelon and cantalope. It was about the best thing I had ever tasted. Pancakes wouldn't have done it, either! But, AWESOME run!

Jo - Sometimes coming to the decision is the hardest part! I know you have been heading this way for some time. I'm glad you are at peace with it, and hope that the financial stuff comes together quickly!

Rest day for me, today. But, it's going to turn into housecleaning!

#150 of 722 Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM

kerc, Hope your visit goes smoothly.

poppy, I'd probably just get it replaced, but the DMV really sucks. (I hung on to my MT driver's licence for the whole 10 years I lived in IL - it was still good - because of DMV phobias! Don't be me. )

rr: had a decent 4m recovery run this morning, but I started having migrane symptoms near the end - this happened to me a few months ago on a 10m and I just toughed it out, but I was close to the end today so I came home and took something for it. Hoping this is just a coincidence, and that I caught it early enough to miss the actual headach.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page