Mothering Forum banner

July Dingoes ~ Running into the Sun

17K views 721 replies 36 participants last post by  tjsmama 
#1 ·
From Geofizz:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

See less See more
#2 ·
In light of the discussion on calling people on mis-labeling... I wrote the intro.

Running tonight with the running partner. It should be lovely if its not raining.

I got an email from colleague at 12:30 am this morning, saying he could meet me tomorrow. So is that today? Or tomorrow?

#3 ·
Good morning Dingoes! Since I was up crazy early again, I figured I'd start our July thread

DrJen, that just makes me angry. I was angry last night when I read it and angry this morning when I read it again. For pete's sake, you went to medical school and have been practicing medicine the same as your colleagues. No reason you should be Jennifer while they are Dr. X and Dr. Y. Wrong. Sexist. Demeaning, even if they're doing it subconsciously. Make sure the hospital corporation is going to pay you the same as them
:. Next time it happens I would just look the suit-guy straight in the eye and say, very evenly, "Dr. T".

What's the word from your DH, Nic???

Gaye ~ I hope it was a once-and-done thing for your DS

Today is DS's triathlon
:! He'll be swimming 100m, biking 3 miles, and running .6 mile. They'll do body marking and everything! He's so excited. I just wish DH hadn't taken the digital camera AND the video camera with him to Wyoming to take train pics

My FM plan ~ spin class and some hip flexor work this morning and open water swimming tonight
:!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
In light of the discussion on calling people on mis-labeling... I wrote the intro.

Oops! I just copied from June's intro. All fixed
. And I'd say your meeting is today (as in July 1st).

#6 ·
DrJen, I am with the other Dr. mamas on this. I have found that in those situations (and they are many, unfortunately) I try and find a way to introduce myself, like..."Hi, I'm Dr. B, and this is my partern Dr. Man" or something. In a conference like that I'm not sure how I would finesse it, but I definitely would. Mainly because it also sets the tone for later interactions with them...especially since this is a 'suits-take-over-doctors' situation you will likely have to set very strong boundaries of respect.

you'd think we would have moved beyond this at this point but I guess not.

No solid news yet. Meeting went well, but nothing firm...gah.

#7 ·
Morning and happy July, Dingos!

Looks like I'll get mine this afternoon. It's perfect running weather, cool and overcast, but no time this morning before work. Hope to get out before the weather turns again.

On the title discussion, I think the note is a good follow-up, and I'd also cite the importance of equal respect and the example it sets for all the staff.
: Suits.

Speaking of...y'all remember when I was working out details of my current work arrangement...well, the wisdom of the Dingos has been following me since I began. It won't be very long, I think. I have a goodly amount of vacay and intend to use it over the next two months, but come school time, I just don't see pulling it off any longer. Dh's travel schedule is not going to be any less, and by being home, I could maybe make it so we could accompany him on the really good trips from time to time. If we can make a go of it financially, it's decided. It's just a matter of working out the details. A lot of details, but still. So...
:

Speaking of
: Nick, any news?

#9 ·
drjen, I posted on last month's thread but it would make me angry and I would say something about it, even now. You were not the only one that noticed, it stood out.

Quick before they delete the siggies, check it out - I have over 500 miles halfway through the year!

JayGee - Good luck to your ds. I hope he has a blast, buy a disposable camera if you must.

Nick, I hope everything firms up quickly.

Jo,
: for you, I hope it all works out just the way you have it planned ini your head.

I feel all yucky and out of sorts. My body is used to working harder than I have been this week. At least I know how to fix that.

#10 ·
Hi ladies, I'm sitting here
trying to decide to run or not. I think I might do a short one. I got a bad earache yesterday afternoon out of no where (enough that I took some ibuprofen), that woke me up early when the med wore off. It's still hurting, but not as bad. I can touch my ear now. Dunno what to do there, hoping it just goes away? What would you do about the ear?

Did my weights yesterday, felt good and strong afterwards.

#12 ·
Hmm, multi-quote doesn't bridge threads.
: Anyway, just quoting the doctors here to tell you that they're right. That would have really rubbed me the wrong ways!

I was out past midnight last night (something I NEVER do) to go to an ABBA concert at Ravinia (think big open park that I could make a picnic, etc. at with my friend. It was a ton of fun. ABBA is not exactly my favorite music, but there were a couple of rockin songs, and it was a nice, and spontaneous (totally last minute) girls' night out!

Anyway, it is going to make today's activities a little tougher to deal with. I am going to Zumba this morning. I have a neighbor teen coming to deal with the kids at swim lessons (I'm going to drop them off at swim, then drive to the gym (it's in the same complex). After lessons, I'm dropping the babysitter off, then I'm taking the kids BACk to the gym, so I can run my 6 miles!

#13 ·
Here's the race list for the July thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

tjsmama - Boulder Peak Olympic Triathlon - July 12
bec - Run from the Cops 5K - July 19
Plady, poppywise, 1jooj, crebrun, cornflakegirl - San Francisco Marathon - July 26
JenLove- Copperman Triathlon - August 1
Materfamilias - Hot Summer's Night 5K - August 1
doctorjen - Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon - August 2
tjsmama - Rattlesnake Olympic Triathlon - August 15
JayGee - Try Indy Olympic Distance Triathlon - August 16
Realrellim - Slacker Half Marathon - August 27
JayGee - Go Girl Triathlon - August 29
ashcav - Run to the Rock Half Marathon - September 12
tjsmama - Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - September 12
bec - Crystal Lake Half Marathon - September 13
grnmtnmama - Single Speed World Championships - September 16
Mel38 - Neumarkter Stadtlauf Half Marathon - September 20
bec - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 4
1hautemama - Martin County Halloween Half Marathon - October 26
mommajb - Monumental Half Marathon - November 7
Nickarolaberry - Women's Half Marathon - November 22
HomeBirthMommy - Atlanta Half Marathon - Novemeber 26
1hautemama - Marathon of the Palm Beaches - December 6
1hautemama - River Roots and Ruts Trail Half Marathon - January 3, 2010
Nickarolaberry - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 10, 2010
The Preggo Dingo List

annettemarie -
- February 2010
VeganCupcake - It's a
, welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.

#14 ·
Yay! I managed to get the race list on the first page this time!

Geo - that's what I've been trying to say for months! (on the intro)

Thanks, guys, for all the good advice. I tend to be too self-effacing I think sometimes, and worry too much about sounding b!tchy. I'm hoping this is a random moron - the organization is Catholic, but it's run by nuns and has lots of strong women in positions of power. I will be paid more than my partner who doesn't do OB, and the same as my partner who does do OB (even though he's been practicing 18 years longer than I have, poor guy.) This year there is a salary guarantee, next year I move to an incentivized contract which if we based off of this last years numbers would mean I make even more money. I think I'll go ahead and send an email and see if anything comes of it.

No run last night - had lovely tummyache after supper. I have a terribly busy day today, but should be able to run tonight!

#15 ·
I'll try to join you guys but I know this thread goes fast.

I am currently training for the Lewis and Clark 1/2 Marathon on September 13th in St Louis. I have done one 1/2 before but that was in 2006 and I have since lost 70lbs and had two more kids

So here's to having some support from you guys to help me get my butt out there and run!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
DrJen, I am with the other Dr. mamas on this. I have found that in those situations (and they are many, unfortunately) I try and find a way to introduce myself, like..."Hi, I'm Dr. B, and this is my partern Dr. Man" or something.
Are you a dr too (or just dh). Sorry I forget.

drjen: woot! on the salary increase for you!

bec: you went to an ABBA concert?

#17 ·
bec~I
: ABBA. Seriously.

kerc~Do you still think you might be passing through NW Ohio way? Let me know if/when and I'll try to see what I could possibly work out...

rr~Track workout done, hooray! Today was 4 x (200 hard, 200 easy, 800 strong) with about 30 seconds rest in between sets. Phew. It's humid here this morning (for Colorado anyway!) and I am SWEATY. I need to get around and get things together, as we're meeting a couple of friends in about an hour for a bike ride.

I got to bed before 1 AM last night, so that's an improvement, right? Oh, except that I had to be up at 5.
I'm SO sensing a nap in the not-too-distant future. Like this afternoon.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
DrJen, that just makes me angry. I was angry last night when I read it and angry this morning when I read it again. For pete's sake, you went to medical school and have been practicing medicine the same as your colleagues. No reason you should be Jennifer while they are Dr. X and Dr. Y. Wrong. Sexist. Demeaning, even if they're doing it subconsciously. Make sure the hospital corporation is going to pay you the same as them
:. Next time it happens I would just look the suit-guy straight in the eye and say, very evenly, "Dr. T".
This kind of thing is *really* common. Note that every MD/PhD on this thread has dealt with it. It falls under the category of "micro-inequity." Unfortunately, speaking up for yourself in the face of every micro-inequity gets very, very tiring. The best way to deal with it, unfortunately, is to have those in charge well educated and aware.
:

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
This kind of thing is *really* common. Note that every MD/PhD on this thread has dealt with it. It falls under the category of "micro-inequity." Unfortunately, speaking up for yourself in the face of every micro-inequity gets very, very tiring. The best way to deal with it, unfortunately, is to have those in charge well educated and aware.
:
Yes. I was just talking to my dh about this last night. My dh who *never* likes to be called Dr. R-C and prefers hey, you. But then again he'd never encountered it before (observationally that is).

Nick, I forget, what's your phd in?

Geez this thread is way over educated. Thank goodness ya'll know some stuff about running and mothering. Phew.

Speaking of mothering.....

I'm seeking input here. My dd Leah (4 in Sept). Is driving.me.insane. INSANE! She's always been a mama's girl, always been a thumb sucker and a snuggler. If she could crawl back into the womb, I think she would, daily. When she wants to snuggle she wants to put her face and maybe even her whole body beneath my shirt and SNUGGLE!

When I was working and she was in daycare she would crawl in my lap when I got home and in the very last stages of the working bit, come to bed around 6 am. That's been done since about mid-may and for the last month the snuggling has ramped up to the point where I don't want anyone (dd and dh especially) to touch me and I can hardly stomach the idea of having her in my lap. I can literally not sit down without her trying to climb on my lap. I've tried embracing it and figuring this too will pass. But frankly a month of embracing it has led to me not wanting to be around her. I had a frank conversation with her a few days ago that my body is my body and I get to pick who touches what parts. But she's still trying to get under my shirt at any point she can. Ideas? BTDT?

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Yes. I was just talking to my dh about this last night. My dh who *never* likes to be called Dr. R-C and prefers hey, you. But then again he'd never encountered it before (observationally that is).

Nick, I forget, what's your phd in?

Geez this thread is way over educated. Thank goodness ya'll know some stuff about running and mothering. Phew.

Speaking of mothering.....

I'm seeking input here. My dd Leah (4 in Sept). Is driving.me.insane. INSANE! She's always been a mama's girl, always been a thumb sucker and a snuggler. If she could crawl back into the womb, I think she would, daily. When she wants to snuggle she wants to put her face and maybe even her whole body beneath my shirt and SNUGGLE!

When I was working and she was in daycare she would crawl in my lap when I got home and in the very last stages of the working bit, come to bed around 6 am. That's been done since about mid-may and for the last month the snuggling has ramped up to the point where I don't want anyone (dd and dh especially) to touch me and I can hardly stomach the idea of having her in my lap. I can literally not sit down without her trying to climb on my lap. I've tried embracing it and figuring this too will pass. But frankly a month of embracing it has led to me not wanting to be around her. I had a frank conversation with her a few days ago that my body is my body and I get to pick who touches what parts. But she's still trying to get under my shirt at any point she can. Ideas? BTDT?

My Ph.D. is in political science. Interestingly, dh also sometimes finds he has to 'enforce' being called "Dr." because he looks young (although at 40, he's been out of residency for 7 years) and young-looking surgeons tend to be dissed a lot. On the other hand, he does also have that surgeon 'personality' (i.e. self-contained, not particularly verbally communicative, and occasionally ... ahem ... somewhat self-confident
).

Lately all my kids (always very physically affectionate) seem to be wanting to crawl back in the womb. On the one hand, I love that their personalities have gotten so much ... lighter, nicer ... since school let out but on the other, GIVE ME SOME PERSONAL SPACE HERE!!

#23 ·
hey kerc. my almost 4 yo is like that, not quite to that degree, but when I'm holding him (which he would prefer to be all the time lately) he wants to have a hand on my boobs or down my shirt. sort of uncomfortable in professional situations.
not sure what advice to give....er, this too shall pass?
: what I repeat to myself all the time...

DrJen and Geo, I get that title stuff ALL. THE. TIME. people ask me what I prefer to be called, which is Pastor Lastname just like the OTHER pastor. Then they go right ahead and call me Beth. And this church is even better than most! I don't usually have to correct people here because someone else does, but I have NEVER asked to be called Beth and even when people say something like, "I'll just call you Beth, okay?" I say, well actually I prefer Pastor Lastname because you might want me to BE your pastor one of these days, right? I say it with a smile and usually it gets the point across. Can't be too direct here in the South. I just reinforce it every chance I get, too, with always introducing myself "Hi I'm Pastor Lastname" and such. And I justify it, Drjen, by saying that I would never call my doctor by her first name unless I was friends with her or she expressly asked me to.

Whew. Can you tell I deal with this on a nearly daily basis???????

On to fun things...I ran 4.4 this morning in celebration of my 34th bday today.
AND we got movie news....I get to go to a film festival in September, up near Shantimama!
I am NOT getting much work done but oh well, that's what b'days are for, right? doing communion visits later to make up for it though.
take care mamas.

#25 ·
Since you all seem so knowledgeable about such things (this is a running thread though, right?
) when I'm addressing an envelope to my brother and his wife, which name comes first? She has a PhD and he is a Lt Commander in the Navy.... military or education? I'm not sure and I think each time I address it, it comes out differently.

Also, does anyone else have a Forerunner 305? How accurate do you think the calorie count is? Sometimes it says I've burned a lot and I'm just curious if someone else has had something to compare it to.

#26 ·
muppet: It's your brother right? I loose no sleep over it, whatsoever!

mamabeth: every Lutheran pastor I've ever met, except the very very very oldest one who had retired 20 years ago at Wittenberg U, was ok with Pastor Beth. Like my next door neighbor is Pastor Carlson or to the more informal crowd, Pastor Dave. The pastor who married us is Pastor Bob to everyone. I know you're talking about the differences between men and women, but maybe you're ok with Beth as long as you get Pastor in front? Or maybe you would be ok with Pastor B (vs. your full last name?). Why does no one talk about this kind of stuff when we talk about gender inequality? I mean this is the stuff that most people deal with every darn day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.