5'4 & 140lbs. What size should I be? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 1/4 inch under 5ft 4 in, and I weigh 125 give or take a few either way.

I'm very out of shape and I wear a size 4/6. I have an inner tube of chub around my waist, not huge, but it doesn't look great.

I feel my best when I'm 110-120, but if I were muscular I know I could put on 10 or more lbs and look my best.

When you don't have muscle mass you have to drop lots of weight to look thin, but if you have good muscle mass you will weigh more but look smaller. It's the fluffy effect. It takes more room to carry a lb of fluff than a lb of muscle.

I just am not a big exerciser.
#32 of 56 Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphine View Post

I wanted to comment, though, on people saying you don't need to lose any more. Back in 2006, I lost almost 70 pounds (from a little over 200 to 140). I noticed an interesting phenomenon with my peers and family. After I'd lost about 20 pounds, people started noticing I had lost weight and would comment on it ALL THE TIME. It seemed like every time I would see someone I hadn't seen in a while, they would say, "Wow, you've lost so much weight".

Then, when I started to get closer to my goal, there was a switch. People started saying, "Oh, you don't need to lose anymore. You're starting to look too thin. Are you sure this is healthy?" Etc. It drove me insane. Believe me, at a size 8, I was NOT too thin. Not even close. And, on the charts, I was on the high end of a healthy range. I think part of it was that people were just not used to seeing me that size, and it skewed thier vision of me. Though in most cases, I think people were trying to be supportive, sometimes I just wished they would find something better to talk to me about than my weight. It was like that was the only thing that people saw.

16).
Same thing happened to me when i did eat to live, i went from 178 to 149 and everyone, especially my dh said i was too slim, but i wanted to lose another 14 lbs, but dh said that and so i went off the diet and really let myself go. I am now 175, 155-165 was my norm before ds was born and now we are ttc and i want to try to lose 20lbs and i am exersising some, but just not motiviated.

I am 5 8' and 175 and wear a 14 but that is a bit baggy on me and my 12's are too small...But when i was 149 i was a 10, i tend to carry my weight in hips/butt/thighs and since ds, in my stomach. Even if i got to 140 i think i would be **** a 10 maybe an 8, as my frame is larger and losing 10lbs may not necesarily put me in a smaller size...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#33 of 56 Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM

At 140 and 5'4", I wear between a 6-8, depending. I carry some weight still in my belly. If I were to lose that, say 4-5lbs, I would be a solid 6.

I think it is a great weight for me. I am not too skinny and I can maintain this weight. My goal is about 135, which will be more work to stay at. Good luck.

I have really tried to let other peoples' crap go in this department. My sister (who called me fat after dd was born) now tells me not to lose any more weight. Of course, now she is 195 lbs, as opposed to the 135 she weighed after I gave birth. People's own issues really come out when you talk about weight.
#34 of 56 Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 AM

If you're losing the weight through exercise, especially weight lifting, you're going to be smaller than someone who's that weight because of dieting.

I'm just under 5' 5" and was 140 for a long time. I mostly wore size 12.
#35 of 56 Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

as others have said, it's about body type. some bodies would be "overweight" at that height/weight, and other bodies are exactly right at that height/weight.

so, it really all depends.

if you're using BMI to determine "overweight" then you're using something that is a faulty measure. my husband lifts weights. his body fat percentage is low (i think 8-10% tops), and he is considered "obese" using BMI. he is obviously *not* obese.

it's worth nothing this can be the case, ok?

i'm 5 ft 7 and 130-5. i could loose 10 lbs or not, i do well between these two weights. my sister, the same height, is very healthy between 145 and 155. so, we're different. same height, different body types, so different 'healthy' weights. when my sister is in a complete fitness mode, she's a buff 155-160 (muscle in her legs gets big, increases her weight although she's smaller inches-wise). when i'm doing my hard core athletic thing, i'm 120. right now, i'm in a not hard core working out phase. just a little yoga (30 mins a day) and hiking/walking.

everyone is different.
#36 of 56 Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I'm 5'4"

140 is my ideal "skinniest" weight, and I wear a size 6-8 there. I've lost 30-40 lbs, but I still have 20-40 to go. I look and feel good at 160, but I look great (but still with some "meat on my bones") at 140

So, for me 140 is my ultimate goal, but in my heart of hearts, I know 160 is the perfect weight for me.

HTH
you are me
#37 of 56 Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM

At 5'4" and 125 lbs I wear size 4 jeans and size small shirts. 34A bra. I know sizes vary-- almost all my jeans are American Eagle.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#38 of 56 Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Size will vary depending on where you shop too. "Vanity sizing" seems to be more common in more expensive clothes. I have clothes that fit me (5'6 & 130 pounds) in sizes 4, 6, 8, & 10. It is crazy making. In Ann Taylor, I am a 4 or 6. In Lands End, I am an 8 or 10. I also have a short torso and actually fit better in petite dresses than regular dresses. It took me a long time to figure that one out, since I don't think of myself as being "petite" in the usual sense.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#39 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 AM

I can't speak for you, but I'm 5'0 and 125-130lbs is the best weight for me. That puts me as either just barely overweight or just barely normal weight for BMI. I would *not* be healthy at any lower a weight.

Right now I'm at 130-135lbs and wear mostly size 8 pants and medium shirts (I'm nursing though, so I'm a 36F at the moment )
#40 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
as others have said, it's about body type. some bodies would be "overweight" at that height/weight, and other bodies are exactly right at that height/weight.

so, it really all depends.

if you're using BMI to determine "overweight" then you're using something that is a faulty measure. my husband lifts weights. his body fat percentage is low (i think 8-10% tops), and he is considered "obese" using BMI. he is obviously *not* obese.

it's worth nothing this can be the case, ok?

i'm 5 ft 7 and 130-5. i could loose 10 lbs or not, i do well between these two weights. my sister, the same height, is very healthy between 145 and 155. so, we're different. same height, different body types, so different 'healthy' weights. when my sister is in a complete fitness mode, she's a buff 155-160 (muscle in her legs gets big, increases her weight although she's smaller inches-wise). when i'm doing my hard core athletic thing, i'm 120. right now, i'm in a not hard core working out phase. just a little yoga (30 mins a day) and hiking/walking.

everyone is different.
This is so me and my sister. She is an inch taller (I'm 5'10 - she's 5'11") and she has ALWAYS weighed 20 lbs more than I have. It's just her body type - she has denser bones and more muscle, I have like no muscle even when I work out and look like a potato on toothpicks bc I inherited my great gmas bird legs. She looks smaller than I do though, go figure. I weigh 138-140 right now while bfing (trying to keep my weight up to keep my supply up) but my non BFing weight was around 130.

It really really really depends on body type!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#41 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 AM

Sizes are very tricky. I am 5'5 and 127, and usually wear a size 8, and a medium in shirts. I lost 20 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off--but when I was heavier (148) I wore a size 12 and L in shirts.

I don't have a clue why someone who is the same size and weight as me would wear a much smaller size. I don't like tight clothes, so maybe that is part of it. I like to be comfortable.
#42 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 AM

I'm 5'4" and 140 is my "normal" weight. (I'm about 25 lbs above that right now! ).

When I'm 140, I'm in a size 10, M for tops.

It's definitely a frame and body type issue. I have pretty wide shoulders, wide hips, am busty with a-- let's just call it-- *generous* butt. Lower than 140 is almost impossible for me to maintain.

Once this baby is born I'm kicking into high-gear to get back in shape. I'm looking forward to wearing my size 10 pants again!
#43 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
at 136 and 5'2" i'm a size 8-10 and am perfectly happy at a consistent size 8 (which with losing a few more pounds i can achieve, i think). HTH!
It's always interesting to me how 2 different people can be the same size but wear different sized clothes. I'm 5'2" and about 135 and size 6's fit well. Anything over that I'm swimming in.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#44 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM

I am 5'5" and weight about 145- I am wearing a 10 for pants and usually get a L for tops (I wear tops a bit loose as I can't stand when the back feels even a tad tight). Two years ago I was about 175 and wore a 14.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#45 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Sizes are very tricky. I am 5'5 and 127, and usually wear a size 8, and a medium in shirts. I lost 20 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off--but when I was heavier (148) I wore a size 12 and L in shirts.

I don't have a clue why someone who is the same size and weight as me would wear a much smaller size. I don't like tight clothes, so maybe that is part of it. I like to be comfortable.
Sizes are really weird. I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs, and I wear between a 2 and a 4. I don't like tight clothes, either. I have some size 8 jeans from after my pregnancy that fall off me - literally. I think a lot depends on how you are built and the stores you shop at.

I used to be very thin as a teenager - about 105 lbs at 5'6" - and I remember having to size up a pair of shorts to a size 9 because none of the smaller ones would button.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#46 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
It also has to do with the size of your frame overall. There are plenty of women my height who wear size 0's and 2's. I once held a pair of size zero pants against my body, and the edges of the pants were inside the edges of my hipbones. My *skeleton* would not be able to wear a size zero. But for some other women, that's a perfectly reasonable and healthy size.
#47 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that BMI isn't really the gold standard of health any more. The current recommendation is that women have a waist size of lower than 1/2 their height so for you - you are 64 inches tall so your waist should not be larger than 32 inches since really, it's belly fat that matters most in health. If you have a small waist (less belly fat) but store your weight in your legs and butt, you're going to be healthier than someone who may weigh less and therefore have a lower BMI but who stores their weight in their belly.

Honestly, I think so much depends upon your waist size but, strictly going by the numbers, your current height and weight do sound on the heavy side.

One thing I have noticed is that when you start loosing weight, you'll find people for some reason - whether it be jealousy/envy or being unable to adjust to the "new you" - will encourage you to stop. They'll say you're getting too skinny, you're just fine the way you are etc.... Don't listen to them. Listen to yourself, measure yourself and honestly assess where you are.
#48 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

I didn't read all the replies, but thought I'd add that 140 muscular pounds is a different size than 140 flabby pounds I have been a size 6/8 at 120 lbs and a size 6/8 at a 140 lbs...the 140 looks much better Since you are actively working at losing weight, I would assumer you will also be in pretty good "shape" by the time you are done - I would guess about a size 6/8 depending on what brand of clothing.

Also wanted to mention that it can be difficult for family & friends when you are losing such a large amt. of weight. They may feel like you are losing "too much" because they are used to seeing you heavy...you need to do what is right for you.
#49 of 56 Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM

I'm about 5'3" and 140-ish. I wear an 8-10 petite pant and large shirts to fit the bust. Doesn't help that I'm nursing, so my already generous "girls" are even larger now.

DH says it's a wonder I can walk upright and not topple over all the time
#50 of 56 Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM

i'm a size 4 and 5"4' and 143 lbs i can sometimes squezz into a size 2 if the sizez run a bit big or a 6 if the run small. Good work! Congrat! if you dont feel comfy losing the weight then dont im sure you look beautiful as it is.

#51 of 56 Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Everyone has already said it, but congrats!  Enjoy the new you, and don't let anyone's comments get you down.  You should be where YOU are happy and healthy.  I've been told I should lose more, I've been told I was too skinny.  bah.

I am 5'2'' and 130-135 lbs at any given time.  I still have this mental "120" in my head but I haven't been there since 21 and I'm very happy with my size and shape right now. I am typically a size 4, xs tops, s bottoms.  I am a real pear with big hips for my frame. Like I almost need a little girls size Large top but I'm all mama in the hips.

I wouldn't mind toning up even more in my thighs and belly, but that has much more to do with composition than weight.  I work out 1000-1400 minutes a month (I only know the amount because of the thread here on Mothering. lol) I would imagine that if you work on muscle gains you could weigh more at your goal body than if you are at a higher fat percentage. If you don't build muscle, I would think 140 is a good weight.  With more muscle you could probably be 150-160, but like everyone has said, it is such a personal thing!

Congrats again, enjoy vegas, and love your body. <3

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#52 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that BMI isn't really the gold standard of health any more. The current recommendation is that women have a waist size of lower than 1/2 their height so for you - you are 64 inches tall so your waist should not be larger than 32 inches since really, it's belly fat that matters most in health. If you have a small waist (less belly fat) but store your weight in your legs and butt, you're going to be healthier than someone who may weigh less and therefore have a lower BMI but who stores their weight in their belly.

Thanks for posting this.  I had never heard this before, but it makes sense.  Also makes me feel a lot better.  smile.gif My BMI puts me just past the limit of "normal" into "overweight" but my waist size is about an inch smaller than half my height.  I do think I am a bit bigger boned and somewhat muscular.  I do work out 6 days a week and  I think I am fairly "fit".

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#53 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 AM

My bmi is the very top end of normal, barely under the overweight limit.  At my leanest and meanest I was still in the upper half of the bmi normal range.  I have a jiggly set of thighs still, and loose skin in my tummy, but other than that, I am pretty well defined with good muscle mass. I'm comfortable in a proper fitting bikini.

My waist measurement is at least 4 inches, sometimes 5 inches less than half my height.  So pfffbhththt on bmi.  I can't really even think of a time where it is the most useful diagnostic tool for healthy weight. bah

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#54 of 56 Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Over the past year or so I have went down from 230 to 140.  My original goal was to be 132 (at 5'5" that would give me a BMI of 22.0).  Right now I fluctuate between 138 and 140 depending on my calories, exercise, etc.  I buy my pants at New York and Co. and I am a size 4 in pants and an XS/S in the tops.  

I am wondering the same thing as you - do I just stop here or go down to my goal weight?  I think if I get down to my goal I will be a size 2 (because I can almost fit in some of them).  I am also having the same reaction from family members telling me that I am at a good weight where I am now.  

I agree with what someone else responded back though - keep eating right and exercising and eventually your weight will plateau.  At least that's what I'm hoping will happen for me.  Let me know how everything is going!

#55 of 56 Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Another example of pant size meaning nothing:  My mom and I are the same height of 5'6", however she is comfortable at 120 lbs and she wears around a size 8-10, but I am most comfortable around 135 lbs and I wear a size 4-6.  She's never been athletic and I've been fairly athletic my whole life, so I have a lot more muscle mass and I can be a heavier weight and a smaller size. 

According to BMI scales, when I was a college swimmer and my heaviest weight (145-150) from weight lifting, I was borderline overweight, but in the best shape of my life.  It's definitely not a good scale for health.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#56 of 56 Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My sizes and weight change so much. I was just talking to my sister about this. We have the same issue. We gain weight in the summer and lose it in the winter. I think we're both just more active in the winter. Either way I'm 5 6 and right now I'm 145 usually 135 but still losing the weight from my last mc. I wear anything from a size 4 to a size 8. It's annoying and I always wear medium shirts. I have a super long torso and broad shoulders. My shoulders used to be super muscular and mediums would be tight on my shoulders and baggy everywhere else. I also have a booty so pants are always an issue for me.

Also I wanted to say good job on the weight loss, it's not always easy!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page