which form of yoga should I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on day 2 of practicing hot yoga. I bought the 2 week trial package. I love it. A quick search on this forum did point out some of its drawbacks that I may have overlooked. I do feel a bit out of place in class. Partially b/c I'm new and also I feel hairy and unfashionable. I don't feel I know the poses well enough and sometimes I hope I am in correct position. I cannot afford to practice both hot yoga and take another class. I do see that I would get bored just doing these 26 poses.

What type of yoga would be best suited for me? I would like to finish my two weeks here, try a few other studios (not hot) and maybe pilates before committing to one.

I am not the athletic type. I am looking to get into yoga to strengthen my core. I have a history of issues with my back. Nothing major - one slip and fall injury and numerous sprains. I carried twins to 39.5 weeks and my abs are totally out of whack. I would like to tone my abs. . . heck, see if it is even possible! I would like to maintain my body weight. I would like to be more patient and better able to handle stress.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#2 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 AM

i've done lots of different yogas, but the BEST one is kundalini yoga. it is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

so invigorating and healing. i highly recommend it be a part of everyone's yoga repertoire!

also, have you heard of callanetics? not calisthenics - which can be very damaging to your body - this is different. it's all about protecting your back and building lean muscle. i actually have a whole new body after doing these exercises. i highly recommend it. the lady who developed it has a really amazing life story. (here is a super short summary of her life, but her book about callanetics is even better) very inspiring!

callanetics would whip your abs back into place.........seriously!
#3 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
I don't feel I know the poses well enough and sometimes I hope I am in correct position. I do see that I would get bored just doing these 26 poses.
This struck me as funny. You haven't even learned the poses but are concerned that you will get bored with them!

Yoga is called "practice" for a reason. We get better at it as we continue to do it, and there is always something more to experience in a posture.

Bikram yoga isn't my thing. I did it for awhile, and then moved on. BUT it may be your thing for a while. If you are concerned about being in a class and not knowing the postures, sticking with a class with a specific sequence for awhile might be nice. You will really learn those postures.

Base your choice on how the class feels to your body (not whether or not you fit in). How do you physically feel during class? How does your back feel later? Does it seem to be helping? Hurting? Not doing anything? Use this as an experience to connect more with yourself. No one can really tell you what would be best for your back --- you need to listen to your back.

Any form of yogo will help tone your abs. Pilates is very strengthing too, but I love doing yoga. After your two weeks is up, try different classes and just keep checking in with yourself. You are very fortunate to live where you have several to chose from!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
This struck me as funny. You haven't even learned the poses but are concerned that you will get bored with them!
I meant there are some poses that are new to me. Most I know. I would like a teacher to be flexible, and concentrate on certain poses if a student or students would like to. I also feel my body is different from when I was last taking classes. Prenatal, and two classes before pregnancy. Some poses I feel the need for a teacher to come and push my hip out a bit, or align me in some way. I can look in the mirror to check, but may lose my balance when I do. So . . . not so much will get bored, but just want flexibility to do other poses in class and also making sure I am doing them correctly. I guess I want feedback from the instructors, so far, we have only said hello.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#5 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Are you doing Bikram? In Bikram, the teacher stands at the front, gives general tips on what they seeing people doing right/wrong, and there are no hands on adjustments.

I prefer a class with hands on adjustments.

As far as "making sure you do them correctly," you will keep learning new things about the same pose the longer you do yoga. Letting go of the notion that you will get the pose *right* and have it mastered is very freeing. Just experience the pose in the moment.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM

I second the vote for Kundalini. I am : with Kundalini. It is the oldest form of yoga. If you like the vigor of hot yoga, Kundalini is a good fit, and it is a little more lose about poses as most aren't exactly poses - called kriyas.

As a second choice I enjoy Vinyasa. It gets the heart pumping, but you definitely will get instruction on alignment.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#7 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

if you want the teacher to assist you, then you have to find a teacher who does that. not all teachers do, regardless of style.

in bikram, there is very little training in assisting and it is discouraged overall. and, the system is designed to only be these postures and only these postures every time. so, you'll never do any other postures than those.

you might want to just look around and see what is available to you. here, there is only one kundalini studio near by, so it's difficult to get instruction on kundalini yoga. and, there are a lot of other yoga studios near by of a variety of kinds, and some do and some do not do assists.
#8 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 AM

Kundalini has been good for me and I recommend it. It is a non-competitive form of yoga that you practice with your eyes closed. So, you can wear whichever comfy clothes and do not have to wear the latest yoga fashion.
You won't have anyone physically correcting your poses, but after practicing for a while, you learn to correct your own poses and exercises as the directions of the teachers (finally) sink in, your body gets more aligned, and you learn to listen to your body and mind. It is strenuous, for sure. There are often a lot of difficult (and frustrating) abdominal exercises which are off-set by rest/meditation. My yoga teachers always say that feeling that you are getting bored with your yoga practice is your mind trying to sabotage you! So, you learn to focus on your breath while exercising and you learn to break the barriers that you have set for yourself.
#9 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 AM

I would try going to different classes, giving each class a few tries and see what you like. This was the advice that was given to me, and I happened to find one I liked a lot on the first try (I don't have many choices where I live, so I'm thankful it worked out that way).
#10 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Banned

*it's an old post*.
#11 of 12 Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
im jumping in if the convo is still going!

so im wondering the same as the OP. what type of yoga am i? here's what i like about classes i've taken before:

-when the instructor tells us how a certain pose or breath work is helping us healthwise
-breath work
-meditation
-spiritual experience (mantras and such)
-good flow and able to sweat(usually through sun salutatations)

now that im starting to learn about all types, im more confused than ever what type i am! haha, i used to just take classes without even looking at what type of class it was.
#12 of 12 Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 PM

i think that more important than "style" of yoga is to find a teacher that you click with. that's just going to take some trial and error. i mean i've taken vinyasa classes i loved and vinyasa classes i've considered walking out in the middle of... and the main difference was the teacher, not the sequence or the poses themselves, kwim? there are also lots of teachers (like myself) who don't align themselves with a specific style of yoga. i've studied Iyengar, Asthanga, Anusara, Vinyasa, Power, Therapeutic... i take what i like from the traditions i've studied and put it together in a way that makes sense to me. and it seems to be enjoyable for my students. but it's not for everyone, and i do sometimes have a person who comes a few times and doesn't come back. i don't take it personally, we just didn't "click" - and i've liked different teachers for different reasons and my preferences for teachers and yoga styles change over time (like i used to love ashtanga, but lately i just don't enjoy it. maybe i will again at some point).

as for the hands-on adjustment, i personally think it's really important and i do it a lot. i know i have had students who ended up not coming to my classes because they didn't like to be touched. other students who love it and beg me to adjust them over and over again again, that's often a matter of individual teachers vs. styles of yoga.

just have fun trying out the various classes, i'm sure you'll find one that resonates!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page