Running the summer away...August Dingo thread - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bec..not knowing is so frustrating.

hbm..I will be over your way every wed from 2:30 - 4pm...not great time I know, but if you ever have time for a run!!!

spin class is done and I'm icing as a precaution. It was a kickin class!
#662 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Dr Jen-I live in an extremely diverse area-that would never fly around here-I would definitely encourage you and her to call the person in charge of the buses and perhaps both of you talk to that person together on speakerphone or something? That way she can describe what happened and you can also talk to them.

bec-

grnmtnmama-do you have energy to bike and run w. out carbs? I am thinking that would be tough.

Geo-I would be furious-kids absolutely need outdoor time-the teachers are going to have a tough time with kids who aren't able to get outside!

It is gorgeous here today. We went for a long walk around the lake this morning-K had a ball biking.

The squirrel apparently did a bunch of damage-the power steering belt is hosed! Yikes-we needed a new timing belt as well-so now we are going to get everything done at once-lovely.
#663 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Oceans, when I run, I make a real effort to keep my hands lightly open, by just touching my thumb to my middle fingertip, instead of making fists or clenching my hands. By keeping my hands light, I reduce a lot of the tension through my shoulders and upper body.
: I was taught by my track coach in jr. high to run as though I was holding a potato chip in each hand that I was trying not to break. I have issues with the shoulder tension too and have to be conscious about it. I also find it's worse when I'm starting up running again (which is my perpetual state these days it seems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Our great school that gets kids an hour of outside time a day (2 15 minute recesses plus 30 minutes at lunch) has nixed half that time for the youngest kids in the school during the nicest part of the year.
I feel you. Every day I ask DD if they went outside to play, and most of the time she tells me that they didn't because it took too long to clean up. Not exactly sure what that is about, but I will be asking for more details at Back to School night. If it's really a pick your battles kind of thing, I guess the math boredom is the more important issue IMO, but there's no reason Karen shouldn't get to play outside and be challenged in math.

Bec - thanks for the Katie update... hang in there.

Gaye - I think you have it in you to do the stats! Although, I've already had one student contact me who has a lifelong fear of math and had a mild panic attack looking over the first chapter of the book. I'm not experienced enough to know quite what to think of this, but it looks like I'll be meeting with her in person quite frequently. Anyway, good luck and feel free to PM me or catch me on FB if you have questions that you can't find on Google. I know some pretty good stats websites out there - I use them often myself! Also, thanks for the Amy update... been thinking about her a lot. She's amazing!

Nick, good luck with the sewing and your DH!

JayGee, I don't envy you with your kissing DD. I'm afraid my DD is too busy being self-righteous about her behavior compared to everyone else's to be kissing boys right now :, but I'm sure it won't last for long!

Going to try to get a run or some type of exercise in tonight. Ever since my cycle came back post-DS, I've had PMS with a vengeance and it seems to start a whole 6-7 days out. It peaks the day before with me ready to throttle most or all members of my family. I'd be thrilled to go back to the weepy variety of PMS instead of the rageful one. So, Mama needs a run as we still have a few days to go.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#664 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post

grnmtnmama-do you have energy to bike and run w. out carbs? I am thinking that would be tough.
i think it's Plady going carb-less. not me. I carbs.

Eksmom - i'll sure my ravenous form of PMS with you, if you want. Though I did tear up last night watching Anthony Bourdain No Reservations.

Ladies mtn bike ride tonight, last one of the season. i enjoy these, but I'm also happy that they're ending. I like helping others get into the sport, but i'm looking forward to some non-beginner night riding. Not everyone has been a beginner, but there's enough that it's seemed that way.
#665 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Hi Sarah!
Yay for another new Dingo! I'm always trying to get my RP over here but so far no dice. Now we can get more juice on Bec! !
Yikes! She'll totally spill, too!

RR: Got 5 miles in. It was fast, but I am tired! Still recovering from the 20. The gym was closed, RP had to do crazy things like work (what's that about?), and I've been presuming on my neighbor a lot lately for running child care. I was resigned to the treadmill at home (the worst of all worlds), when my neighbor spontaneously called and asked if she could take my kids to the park! All she asked for was a cup of coffee to bring with her! I don't have many of them, but the friends I have are great ones!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#666 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Geo, that's a serious thumbs down on the recess thing. My dds' school last year was like that -- the teachers' assistants couldn't be bothered to bring the girls out for recess if it was a little cold or windy or not perfect outside. These girls who were in class from 8:30-4 did not get outdoor time. : It was infuriating and we had to call the school several times to deal with it.

Thank goodness, this year their school (public Montessori charter) really focuses on PE (twice a week) plus outdoor time -- they don't eat indoors unless it is raining or too hot (over 90); and they get at least 45 mins. of outdoor time every day.

Plady thanks for the heads' up on the pinning thing. Never would have occurred to me.

Off to Walmart to buy thread and stuff.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#667 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Geo, that recess thing wouldn't fly with us either. Luckily, both my kids have been getting an "extra recess" for the last few weeks. Basically, they get an additional 20 minutes at the end of the day. That, plus 30 minutes at lunch and 2x a week PE make for lots of activity. Which I know my two need!

Just back from another 7 mile walk with my friend. Kirsten's patience with the jogging stroller wears a bit thin after an hour or so, even with lots of snacks and distractions provided. Next week she starts preschool 2 mornings a week and I'm looking forward to walking stroller-free then.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#668 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Geo, that recess thing wouldn't fly with us either. Luckily, both my kids have been getting an "extra recess" for the last few weeks. Basically, they get an additional 20 minutes at the end of the day. That, plus 30 minutes at lunch and 2x a week PE make for lots of activity. Which I know my two need!
Yeah, I can generally tell when DD doesn't get outdoor recess by her behavior at home. When I got home yesterday, I watched her "jump rope" her hula hoop 200 times in a row. The kid needed to, as she would say, "get some of her energy out."

What's amazing about this is that I can't believe the teachers are ok with this. They pretty much lose 2 breaks a day, plus they get the added bonus of squirrly kids.

eksmom, I've found in the past at least, that innocently pointing out that young kids who are distracted, active, noisy, or otherwise off task are not helped by reducing their recess. I think it's an easy consequence for teachers to think up and enforce for when kids are not on task, but it is counter productive.
#669 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Eksmom - i'll sure my ravenous form of PMS with you, if you want. Though I did tear up last night watching Anthony Bourdain No Reservations.
We watched that last night too-I teared up too
#670 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM

What did Anthony Bourdain do that made y'all weepy? Isn't he usually a little smug and snarky (in a funny foodie way of course)?

P'seed - Yeah, I'm going carbless - well, you know, not TOTALLY but Atkins so almost nothing. So far so good I tend toward higher intensity but less endurance workouts when I'm low low carb. And after the first few days of withdrawal it isn't a problem at all.

Today I may have already blown my 20g allowance on blackberries after my run but it was worth it! Actually, I have to check I think berries might be "allowed".

Geo - I hope there can be some restoration of recess, yikes.

RR: I did run, I did intervals. I warmed up for 5 minutes then sprinted for a minute then just my regular pace for 2 minutes then sprinted. I did that about 6-7 times until the last sprint when I got such super jelly legs at the very end I had to walk it off. It was short timewise but I felt way more wiped than after a long slow jog.

Okay, tidying calls. Oh but, are any of you hearing scary things about the southern hemisphere's bout of flu this year? I got home and dh said he wants me to stock up the pantry "in case we have to hole up for a few months" : Then he went back to his office so I don't know what he just heard.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#671 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry, but any diet that limits my berry intake is for the birds.

Or not for the birds. They like berries, too.
#672 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Oh Geo I hear you, it's only for the first couple weeks. And I have about 25 pounds of berries frozen already. I'm going out again tomorrow to pick more! More! More!!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#673 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Yikes! She'll totally spill, too!

RR: Got 5 miles in. It was fast, but I am tired! Still recovering from the 20. The gym was closed, RP had to do crazy things like work (what's that about?), and I've been presuming on my neighbor a lot lately for running child care. I was resigned to the treadmill at home (the worst of all worlds), when my neighbor spontaneously called and asked if she could take my kids to the park! All she asked for was a cup of coffee to bring with her! I don't have many of them, but the friends I have are great ones!
LOL no spilling here, even if I never death march with you again, I still need you to help me lead the troop!! I was hoping that P would volunteer to take the kids on Thursday am so we could shove in a quick 5!

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I appreciate it!
#674 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Um, anyone wanna start a September thread? : Just sayin'...I would but I got nothin' when it comes to clever titles.

eks~Thanks so much for the offer of help. I think I'm probably freaking myself out over nothing, but I just don't know. I figure, at the worst, this pretest is 20 questions that I have an hour to do. So, I'm a fast test taker and a good googler...I should be able to figure it out, right? I think I can still handle basic algebra stuff (I mean, I know how to solve for x for the most part!), so maybe it'll be ok. Eek.

rr~Got 5 in with a friend and kiddos. It felt pretty good, but my knee is a little sore. I think it's just not entirely recovered from Sunday yet. And of course, I have track in the morning, and a bike ride planned, and then another run on Thursday. I can take Friday off, though.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#675 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 05:23 PM

I just got myself a new TV (in lieu of a new TV antenna for a 15+ year old TV). OMG it rocks! : Did I just say that?

Berry-free? not me. I just came home from the store with 2 containers of blackberries. One is gone already.

PSA: TJ Maxx has patagonia active wear right now. Like at an affordable price. Yes, I was supposed to be buying pants for work, but you know that place ... chinos style pants are not with pants, they are with activewear.

Anyone ever can pears? I'm looking for tips.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#676 of 676 Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page