Running the summer away...August Dingo thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
it's either that or pour myself a drink! ha, maybe both.
I'm doing more pouring than running myself this week. Oy. The other day I was at this new swimming hole with Chiara and there were a bunch of super rowdy teenagers there acting like they'd been directed to be as fascinatingly obscene yet rambunctious and attractive as possible. C couldn't take her eyes off of them of course but she explained "I'm keeping my ears under water just in case" (of hearing rude words) FWIW I couldn't stop watching either and wondering if I was ever so unselfconsciously sexy and also watching because they were doing th=ese insane dives with their arms at their sides and I was just waiting for that horrible moment when one of them didn't resurface right. Happily they all survived the afternoon.

So our phone has been out since I got home from SF. We don't make a lot of calls so it only started to bug me yesterday but my mom got so freaked out that she had the sheriff drive by and check on us. She managed to convince herself that we'd been taken hostage by the previous owner : Wha????? I've been trying to put myself in her place and imagine what it would be like to be so alone that that kind of scenario could seem in any way rational. I just don't know, I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic but maybe I just don't want to sympathize because then I'd need to do something to help? Just I guess.

Geo - I wish I had a good idea for you but I'm always a fan of talking to someone. But at least you got hit on, that's fun.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Hey Lalalala, where do you live in New England? I'm headed to Portsmouth, NH on the 20th for my Mom's 70th birthday !
Hooray for birthday parties! We're in Littleton, MA, which is a bit more than an hour from Portsmouth. I went to college at UNH in Durham, though, which is very close. Whenever we got to feeling like Durham was too much of a hick town, we'd take the bus over to Portsmouth and wander in the little shops downtown and feel sophisticated.

I keep meaning to get my kids up to Durham this summer to buy UNH tee shirts and let them pat the horses and buy them ice cream and begin the brainwashing process as my mom did with me. My brother and I both went there; it was my mom's alma mater.

Didn't buy the MBT shoes today; also didn't remember in time that in a decent shoe store a clerk actually measures your feet and helps you put the shoes on and it would be nice if your legs were kind of shaved for that interaction. I liked the feel, though, and have a cheaper pair of the shoes ($130 vs. $250) sitting in my Amazon.com shopping cart, waiting for a moment of weakness. Maybe this weekend....
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Plady- Congrats on the SF Marathon: I'm itching for another race! I read your race reports yesterday and was so inspired

HBM & Bec- My hospital birth was awefull as well, and led to my last two UBAC at home. Very healing experiences.

Beth- Does your SIL have a breastfeeding friendly pedi? She's lucky indeed to have you.

Geo- Here's a chant to distract yourself while in the dentist chair, just think to yourself over and over "I am soo MILF". Seriously, I wish I thought of the twilight. That's a great idea. The downside is that you will be incapacitated for the rest of the day, and need someone to look after your kids.

rr- I did the eight miles on a tm. It.Sucked. I am so glad I made myself do it and it's over with, but running on a hangover is for the birds. Going to bed now. I'm running 10 miles tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM

One last post, I swear.

Can someone please explain to me what those leg compression things are for? I saw several people wearing them at the Seattle marathon and of course I've seen the ads for them in Runners World magazine. What do they do for your legs? Sorry if I sound like an ignoramus:
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 AM

just back from my race and i'm happy to report that i got 2nd in my age group and 23/30 overall (and that includes the men) and that is REALLY good for me. Also keep in mind that i only have one gear. Anyway, legs and lungs felt happy to do the work tonight and i'm just happy that it went so well.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hautemama View Post
HBM & Bec- My hospital birth was awefull as well, and led to my last two UBAC at home. Very healing experiences.
Sounds like a lot of us have similar experiences. My hospital c-section birth sucked. My hospital VBAC was okay. My HBAC was, by far, the most amazing experience of my life. Seriously, when I think about having Kirsten in my bedroom, I want to get pregnant so I can do it just one more time !

I ran a whole mile with DH on the indoor track at the Y and then ran the straights/walked the curves for 2 more miles. It felt pretty good too . But, I've been getting wicked bad iliopsoas pain after I run though, so I need to sort that out. If it's not one thing, it's another, I swear.

ETA: Great race, Mandy!!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hautemama View Post
The downside is that you will be incapacitated for the rest of the day, and need someone to look after your kids.
You say that like its a bad thing .

Great race Mandy! You must be flying!:

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 AM

geo - sounds like you need a big

mandy - great race!

rr: 30 minutes of pool running. Still obsessing over my foot. It's like I'm hitting the refresh button constantly. How does it feel now? Now? How about now? It might be feeling a little better, but I'm not entirely sure. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see how it feels after sleep. I clearly have no patience.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 AM

Finally caught up and subbing! :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Seriously, when I think about having Kirsten in my bedroom, I want to get pregnant so I can do it just one more time !

Yes! I do not want any more children, but I would love to experience one more birth. I half-heartedly looked into being a surrogate, but apparently, I'm too old.

Mandy-Way to go!!!

We're heading out to walk up to school and meet the teachers. I am totally counting this as my forward motion today.

Y'all have a great day!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Last night was the Wednesday night kids' race in Duluth. My kids both ran, then we came home and I made up some peach crisp/cobbler/betty (aka Deb Special). While it was baking I sent the kids up to clean up their room and put on their pjs. I heard a lot of giggling and peeked up to see this.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Go, Mandy!

I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze a run in to the conference I'm going to next week - it starts at 5 on Wednesday with dinner, and goes through Friday lunch, so in theory I could run Wednesday morning, take the kids to the first day of school, drive the six hours, and then run again Friday evening when I get home. But I'd rather use a treadmill while I'm there. It's a college campus, but I don't know if the gym will be open to conference people. And I don't want to run outdoors because a. it's hilly and not in a town, and I'm afraid I'd get killed on the highway, and b. my recent bad GI stuff won't mix with being in a dorm without my own bathroom. Way to mindf*** in advance!

No FM scheduled today, but tomorrow is a step-back day on my long runs, so it's 10 instead of last week's 12 or next week's (gah!) 15.

eta, Kerc, holy smokin' cuteness there! Both kids and pj's.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Go Mandy!! Have a great race!

CFG I hope your foot is better today.

Geo, : for all

kerc that is too cute!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM

hey ladies - headed to the podiatrist in a few :

wanted to share - racevine is having a summer giveaway if you post race review and they choose it (don't think it is at random, more if they like your review creativity or something)

http://www.racevine.com/giveaway

hello writers! jo, etc. get your race review on!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Good luck at the podiatrist Poppy!

Headed out in a little bit for 2 hours with one 20 minute interval. I'm sore today, in both my legs and upper body which means that I put in a good effort last night. If you'd like to read the blog and see the photos, click here.

I'm trying to get work done today, especially after most of yesterday was spent dealing with our travel to Colorado next month. Gaye - I'll email you if we'll be hanging in Denver at all. I had forgotten about my good friends from college that live out there now, I'd love to see them too.

Sorry to pass along the news, but Fat Cyclist's wife passed away from cancer last night. sigh.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM

The foam roller arrived and I have rolled! :
Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

I am trying to write two sermons at once and they both seem to SUCK. I have no other time to do it so this is going to have to be it. I may try a change of scenery but argh, I hate it when it won't come together.

Anyway. Geo, that really really stinks, and is so weird that there's such a wait.

RM? still waiting to hear about the coconut M n Ms????

lalala, I have looked into the compression socks and they seem like they might help. I usually just do cold water after a run and it seems to do the trick.

I did weights this morning again. I don't love it but am already seeing some good differences. going to try for a run tomorrow, but I have to go late-ish so it's going to be HOT. no land speed records here for sure.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM

subbing

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
WHAT???? coconut mnms?????? where? all other personals just went out of my head.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I walked into them in a gas station here. If you can't find them, I'll mail you some. One bag is around 210 calories. mmmmmm...... It was buy one get one free too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
geo - sounds like you need a big

mandy - great race!

rr: 30 minutes of pool running. Still obsessing over my foot. It's like I'm hitting the refresh button constantly. How does it feel now? Now? How about now? It might be feeling a little better, but I'm not entirely sure. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see how it feels after sleep. I clearly have no patience.

I totally get you on the obsession over the pain and checking it every few minutes. I totally do t hat! I hurt my finger on Monday carrying mattresses (dh was flapping it around crazy like, and I had to wrangle it under control). My finger was swollen, kind of numb, and black/blue immediatly. Over the next day I checked it constantly, not that I was worried, but kept thinking"is this different? what's different? is it moving? broken? bruised? what's causing this?" etc, etc.

RR ran 4 miles on the tread mill at 8:34 pace and outside like inclines, felt amazingly easy after the speed work yesterday ( I was expecting the opposite), then I hacked up a root with a large ax, ran the rototiller, shoveled and moved dirt, raked dirt, took shower, took kids to t he park and just recently got home.

I totally enjoyed watching my boys play at the park and wish life could always be that simple.

Got to find dinner.

OH YEAH!! Just heard from my step son that my first grandbaby will be a GIRL!!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM

so i am back from the podiatrist

some good news, some not good news...but overall pretty good. i basically have 'mushy' feet (my term, obviously). my feet are very flexible and therefore collapse easily, causing all sorts of issues. the good news is that i don't have a stress fracture! she thinks that there may be a hairline fracture and that i should not run for a few weeks until this area of pain calms down.

i showed her my frankenstein set up (asics with superfeet and an extra heel wedge under the superfeet) and she said that if that wasn't helping, the only other road was custom orthotic$.....which...

:

it turns out my insurance actually covers!

i just assumed, since it is a small company insurance plan, that it would not. we have to pay 10% but i can deal with that!

the actual dx is: hallux limitus, pes planus acquired, tendonitis (this is my ankle problem cause by overpronation)

xposted with RM - congrats on the girl!!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 PM

mandy - that is so sad i have been reading his blog only in the last few months because i keep seeing people refer to it on dailymile. cancer sucks.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM
bec

Mandy - Awesome race!!

Kerc - That picture is way too cute! I just want to gobble them up!

Poppy - Seriously, Footlevelers. They are amazing! Truly awesome custom orthodics. Pricey, but if you have insurance covering it...

RR: I got in 4 on the treadmill at the gym today.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dentist informed me I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in twilight sleep only. Two full blown panic attacks in the office. I must inform the next person that even while I'm panicking and irrational, I still know when you're lying to me. :

My 92934875th clue my kid is unique: Given the choice to do *anything* she wanted on her first evening as a 7 year old, she chose a bike ride around the neighborhood followed by a game of chess.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 PM

Geo- I didn't realize this was for wisdon teeth extraction. That totally sucks. Can you consult with an oral surgeon?

Kerc- Your blondies are adorable! I need to get me one of those rollers.

Dh and DD1 (9 yrs old) have been in the Bahamas all week lobstering, fishing and snorkeling along with the in laws. They get back tomorrow night. I need an evening away from my three and one year old and remember what it's like to wear shoes that don't have laces and clothes NOT meant to be sweat in.

rr- Got up early this morning and ran my 10 miles at 5k pace, and it felt great. Tomorrow easy 4-6 miles and Saturday as well. I'm aiming for 15-16 miles on Sunday. Crikey.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM

Geo--they put me out to take out my wisdom teeth and it was awesome. I don't remember what they used, but it's totally the route I'd take for wisdom teeth. If the twilight sleep does it, then I'd give it a thumbs up. That's not a procedure I wanted to be aware of or remembering.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM

I had nothing but shots for my wisdoms. I'm a toughie at the dentist, though. I had oral surgery as a 6yo with nitrous and shots, stitches pulled out a week later with nothing, and I guess from there I went.

RR: Need a run. Need a run so bad. Bright side, my week is over, just one week left in the office. OMG. Can't believe it. Got a touching note from the agency owner yesterday. I can't believe the combination of support and recognition of my ability and contribution I have received.

Congrats RM on the granddaughter!

poppy, I wish we had taken off our shoes and had a look. I have really smooshy feet too. All my joints are smooshy, really, except the knuckles that are starting to harden with arthritis. I have the flattest feet known to man and have to make up for a lot with my calf muscles. Not the best feet for running, but I don't have the best anything for running, and distance is mind over matter anyway. See above comment about the dentist. Rest up, get the orthotics (changed my dad's life and I will probably get a pair soon too if insurance covers) and feel better.

hating the cancer news. Feeling a little freaked. Going to have some organic broccoli tomorrow, I think. And drink my kombucha.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM

I didn't know they'd remove wisdom teeth w/o putting you completely out. I'm so glad I was knocked out when I had mine out.

poppy - well, I guess that isn't too bad of a diagnosis. Sure is a long name, though. I hope my appt. goes as well as yours!

haute - 10 miles at 5k pace?? I think you're ready to smash your 5k PR!

rr: 60 min. of pool running. So grateful to at least be able to pool run.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

kerc~That picture is too stinking cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
the actual dx is: hallux limitus, pes planus acquired, tendonitis (this is my ankle problem cause by overpronation
So, basically your big toe doesn't move, and you have flat feet. The tendonitis we already knew about. That's so awesome that your insurance covers your orthotics! : Mine didn't cover diddly squat, and of course my new insurance covers less than diddly squat, so my orthotics will have to last until I have "real" insurance or a sugar daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
I didn't know they'd remove wisdom teeth w/o putting you completely out. I'm so glad I was knocked out when I had mine out.
Yep, I had mine pulled without being knocked out when I was in high school. My dentist said they weren't impacted, and the oral surgeon was going to cost a lot more $$$, so my mom chose the dentist. (Those squeamish about dental work stop reading here...) It turned out a couple of them actually *were* impacted a little, and not only could I hear the crunching as they got pulled out (eww) but I did NOT have enough anesthetic. And there's not a darn thing you can do about it when you have the dentist's arms in your mouth up to his elbows! Luckily, I am clearly NOT squeamish about dental work, as the experience doesn't seem to have scarred me for life. I actually ended up going to work that night at the pizza place I worked at, although I didn't really do much besides supervise. I had three or four hours of horrible pain, and then it was pretty much fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl
haute - 10 miles at 5k pace?? I think you're ready to smash your 5k PR!
:

Another busy day here...I thought I was going to be all organized and ready to go this morning, since DS spent the night at X's. Well, X dropped him off with a full diaper, dirty clothes (those were expected), no breakfast, and no toothbrushing or face washing. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since X doesn't do any of those things for himself until about 3 in the afternoon most of the time. But anyway, we ended up having to rush around and were late meeting up with friends for a bike ride. Luckily, everyone else was late, too!

We had a nice ride and a picnic afterward. We happened to be picnicking at the playground at the children's museum and they were having a guy demonstrate a jet pack, which was really cool! Not what I expected at all. He took off flew around in circles for about 30 seconds and then landed. I don't know, I guess I thought he would go straight up and straight back down. And it was LOUD. DS thought it was pretty darn cool, though, and the noise didn't seem to bother him a bit.

I'm hitting the home stretch of my classes. They end on Sunday, but there's a TON of work this week. I've got it down to some reading, two quizzes, an exam, a homework assignment, and my last stupid A&P lab. Which requires a partner. Which I don't have convenient, cuz a three year old is NOT going to do the trick. Sigh. I've got a call into my best friend, hoping she can spare me an hour or two either tomorrow or Saturday. I wish the stupid lab company had taken into account the fact that not everybody lives with friends or family members or has easy access to people to help them.

I think I'm going to sign up for a 65 mile women's only bike ride at the end of the month. I hate to spend the money, but the opportunity to get that kind of distance in an organized and supported ride before my half-ironman is just too good to pass up. I have several friends doing the 35 mile ride, but I really can't justify that, especially as the registration is the same amount regardless of which course you do.

rr~11ish easy miles on the bike today.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM

kerc ~ your girls are adorable! My kids love to sit on the roller too .

Gaye ~ that ride sounds like fun and a great training ride to prep for the 1/2 too.

poppy ~ goodness, well, I'm glad you got some kind of diagnosis, and the orthotics sound like they'll really help too.

Geo ~ I had my wisdom teeth out years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was under general anesthesia. I'll be thinking of you . And FWIW, my DS would probably celebrate his birthday doing the same as your DD.

I woke up this morning with the most evil ovulation pain. I swear, the older I get the more painful it is for those eggies to make their way out. Off to pop some Motrin.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Could somebody please come put a lock on my kitchen?

Geo, do not feel bad about the twilight. The thought of the sounds of a cleaning make me nauseous. I was totally out as a teen to have some molars removed as I apparently grew extra teeth. My wisdom teeth are still needing to come out. The dentist has finally stopped suggesting that my kids come watch how easy "it" is during my cleanings. They behave better than I do except for the one that likes to kick and spit for no reason other than the fact that she can. I really wish you could come see a day in the life here. Karen sounds like she would fit right in this household. I would like to say some very supportive things but my words garble my emotions. When I worry about various issues dh likes to ask me what I expected from our children (the apple not falling far from the tree type idea). Seeking help and trying all you can think of is smart, ignoring problems isn't. You do your best, she does hers, and we all try again tomorrow.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

User Tag List