Running the summer away...August Dingo thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo, I get to start the new thread! :

From Geofizz:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I got my 8 miles in. I was struggling a bit toward the middle/end, but "Livin' on a Prayer" came on my ipod, and I thought of Amy and what she's going through, and it was like my legs were being pulled forward all by themselves. I dropped a minute off my pace for the last two miles! Waiting for X to drop DS off for the afternoon (he's playing golf ) and then ice bath, lunch, and maybe some errands. Really really really MUST do homework this afternoon and evening!!!!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#3 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM
bec

Awesome sticking to it, Gaye! I'm going to try again to run tomorrow and back to the chiro on Monday. I have 41 miles on the schedule next week as I get into my peak mileage weeks, and I REALLY need to be running them! Not just for the training, but for my heart and soul. I don't like myself very much without running.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#4 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 PM

subbing...

I got my miles in this morning. That is the end of that story,

We have tons going on including a funeral out of town on Tuesday that my in-laws have managed to ask me to go and then un-invite me. They are not bad people but they do manage to hurt my feelings almost every interaction, including the cards they choose to send me for my birthday.

Gaye, my heart goes out to your friend.

Have a great run drjen. :

bec, I hope the chiro really helps.

Wendy, for self adjusting and massage with the foam roller. I hope it sticks.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 PM

RR: my run was not fun, but it definitely was a workout! Sounds a lot like some of the other posts. Ran 9 outside, well 8.7 due to stopping to talk to two neighbors seperatly, I just called it enough. I left 2 hours later than I should/could have and it was hot, ran into headwind the entire way (which probably helped me with the heat), and the second half felt like uphill the whole way. Gonna chill with dh while the kids are playing at the neighbors. I'll check the garmin later though as I am curious.

#6 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I'm so sad. In addition to my hellish week last week, my low back has been in agony! It's feeling a bit better after Monday's trip to the chiro. But I only managed about 2 miles of my 11 mile run today before quitting because of it. I'm so desperate for a run. I just feel defeated.
I suspect it's more an expression of all the stress you're under with your dd than anything to do with your own physical self, not that that helps when you hit the wall at 2 miles. But seriously, you'll be fine, you've got plenty of time.

DrJen - : : Have a great race!!! Say to Balancin1

Gaye - : and : for your friend, I cannot imagine te stress she must be feeling.

CFG - Great report! You make it sound like that race was really hilly!

Okay, I'm really just subbing, thanks Gaye for the new thread, I didn't know it was August today! :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#7 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 PM

CFG- nice race report! i didn't know you were staying in town that long...i would have had you guys over for a meal or something!

gaye - hope your friend's treatment goes as planned and as smoothly as possible

bec - hang in there

wendy -

mommajb - at the in-law situation...i can SO relate to that

----

my knee still hurts! bah!
anyway...I put a call into my PT who really can't see me again without a physician referral (stoopid california) so i am in wait-n-see mode.

i am getting ready to head out to my women's running group Fall kickoff BBQ. there will be a mizuno guy there doing shoe analysis, which I would normally like, but I don't like when it is brand-centric; too biased.

i am also getting ready to set a plan going forward...once i can, y'know...go forward again with no pain.

i am thinking of doing a couple of 10ks through the end of the year, then attempt another half maybe in the Spring. i really really just want ONE to go well! :

after that, IF it goes well, i will consider trying for my once-in-my-lifetime goal of running a full. we'll see....

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#8 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Poppy - you need a IRL friend that's a PT. It was invaluable when i was doing all the running and kept getting hurt. She could help me out but i didn't need to go to appointments. it will get better, just give it time. hasn't even been a week yet

Gaye - how brave your friend must be at this time, I wish her loads of heath and healing.

2+ hours on bike this morning, hill repeats on a notorious hill. last year i could hardly climb it on a geared bike, today i did it five times on my singlespeed. was a little shy of my total time today, but i had a late start due to GI distress and had to get K from the shop. Time to get back on the program, my traveling the other week through my schedule off a bit, on top of that we've had more rainy weather and i need to be careful not to keep missing workouts.
#9 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM

hey y'all, subbing! miss you guys, I have been on FB way too much. : but I'm still running.

if you can spare some PPT for my SIL...she is due with her first babe in a week and is, not surprisingly, getting all kinds of pressure to induce. but she lost her mucus plug and is spotting today, and is already 3 cm, so I told her that if she can wait it out it will probably happen soon. I'm really excited for her though....but wow you know how you have no idea until it happens to you???? that's totally them. anyway, thanks.

will have to back and read the RR's from the marathon, but congrats, everybody!
#10 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM

RR: got a decent 12m in, a 10:30 pace which sounds good except that the first 2 were a 9m pace, I was at a 10:00 average by about 8m, and then slowed way down. I ate well beforehand, have snarfed two bananas and I'm working on some pretzels in the hope that Bad Bad Bum won't be back.

And somebody stole my water bottle from a park bench.: I did get water from some guy's hose, and a really nice lady walking her dog said "Didn't I see you when I was biking? Wasn't that you? How far did you GO?" and was then so impressed with me I started to be impressed with myself.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#11 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 PM

12 miles IS impressive!

I'm almost serial posting but I just got to read through the RR's and stuff about the race, and I am so so so so grateful for you mamas and so proud of you for finishing that super tough course! and CFG, ROCK STAR!

So....if anybody was actually sending my SIL prayers and positive thoughts, they WORKED! She's in labor at the hospital right now, at 4 cm and totally effaced and handling contractions just fine. I am so proud of her and happy for her, and at the same time I cannot help being kinda sad because someone ELSE goes into labor on their own and can dilate, and I could not. Just venting a little here bc i don't want to rain on her day of COURSE, but can't help thinking about it.

AND....after reading all those marathon reports, I totally want to do one now. ooops!
#12 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM

HI! I don't know why I haven't joined the Dingos yet. After taking a long hiatus from running competitively, I started back up about a year ago. I run anything from a 5K to a half marathon. I don't do marathons... at least not yet. I haven't had the desire nor the time to train for one, but I won't say never.

My latest run was this morning. It was an 8.5 mile mountain trail run and definitely the hardest run I've ever done. It had about 2200 ft. of elevation gain so it had me barely moving at some points. I still did really well with it coming in 2nd overall female and first in my age group. I have a trail half marathon coming up August 30th that will be similar to this one with terrain, so I'm looking forward to it.

I don't really train for my races. I run about twice a week and do other stuff (Beachbody programs and a spin class) the rest of the week. As my son gets older and my husband is less busy with school, I might actually be able to start training for trail runs, but it's at least a year off. So for now, I just do what I can do.

Glad to be joining your group. Hope to keep up with the posts.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#13 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 PM

I have been lurking for the past few months. I just wanted to report that I did my first 5K this morning. It was my goal to finish in under 30 minutes. I did it in 29:58!!! I am so proud that I set a goal and accomplished it. On Jan. 1, I couldn't even run a half mile! So, this is huge for me!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#14 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM

Hiya Leslie and LMB! Great job on the runs!

I'm irritated to report... that I spent several hours with horrible stomach cramps, etc. etc. I'm starting to think the heat might be a factor - of my last five runs, the outdoor runs have been mid-day, although on coolish days, and have resulted in all this GI stuff. The two on the treadmill, at similar pace and slightly shorter distance, no problem.

I'm going to stick to the treadmill for at least a week and see how things go, then resume running in the mornings outside.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#15 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I suspect it's more an expression of all the stress you're under with your dd than anything to do with your own physical self, not that that helps when you hit the wall at 2 miles. But seriously, you'll be fine, you've got plenty of time.
It wasn't a wall hitting, so much as a back spasming that stopped me, today. But, I suspect you are right, that the pain is from all the stress of the past month.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It helps knowing that you are all here.

Mamabeth - how exciting for your SIL! I was so ready to be done by the last week with all of my babes! And, it is truly something that, if you haven't been through it (and even if you have), you can't know what it is like until it starts! Good luck to her. And about feeling sad about your birthing experiences. My first was a c-section, and I was totally envious (and a little angry ) of anyone whose births went differently.

Welcome Leslie and LMB!!! It sounds like you both had amazing races today!

Penelope - I've been having a bunch of grumbly stomach after long runs, too. I have been chalking it up to not having my fueling down perfectly, but it may be that it is just a long way to run!

#16 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Here's the race list for the September thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

ashcav - Run to the Rock Half Marathon - September 12
tjsmama - Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - September 12
bec - Crystal Lake Half Marathon - September 13
grnmtnmama - Single Speed World Championships - September 16
Mel38 - Neumarkter Stadtlauf Half Marathon - September 20
bec - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 4
CathToria - Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon - October 4
Penelope - Chicago Marathon - October 11
1hautemama - Martin County Halloween Half Marathon - October 26
mommajb - Monumental Half Marathon - November 7
Nickarolaberry - Women's Half Marathon - November 22
HomeBirthMommy - Atlanta Half Marathon - Novemeber 26
1hautemama - Marathon of the Palm Beaches - December 6
1hautemama - River Roots and Ruts Trail Half Marathon - January 3, 2010
Nickarolaberry - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 10, 2010
The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#17 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Welcome Leslie and LMB! Great job on your races today! Leslie, I am a huge fan of trail running too .

mb ~ glad to hear your SIL is progressing nicely. Soon you'll be an auntie!

Penelope ~ how weird about the stomach issues. I know I often feel kind of crappy if the humidity is high. Could that be an issue?

Well, I'm happy to report that I actually RAN today! Thirty minutes of walk/run intervals on the treadmill, followed by an nice 30 minute swim. My knee/calf felt okay. The pace was insanely slow and my longest interval was 3 minutes, but what can I expect considering the fact that I haven't run in 5+ weeks. Slow and steady and I'll get back to where I was, right?

Speaking of the race calendar, Jen, you can scratch all my races for the rest of the summer. There's no way I'll be running far enough to do either triathlon that I had on the schedule. There's always next year, right.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#18 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 PM

Leslie - welcome! WTG on your race - sounds like it was tough!

LMB - great job on your race, too!

The top of my foot was feeling so much better after doing nothing but sit in the car for two straight days. After spending half the day today unpacking from the trip (w/o shoes and on hard floors) it's really bothering me again. It's swollen back up and tender. Good thing I wasn't planning on running for awhile.
#19 of 676 Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Penelope - Good job on your 12 miles! Sorry about the aftermath but yeah, it is a long way to run so maybe your bod is just asking for a slower uptick?

Leslie - Welcome!

LMB - Congrats! You should be so proud of your accomplishment!

JG -

MB - : for continued labor and birth :

No RR for me today. I thought about it but I'm still sore and I haven't been foam rollling of icing or anything I should be doing (except continuing to eat waaaaaay too much ). But we did get 99.9% finished with the last little fiddly bit of deck that we hadn't finished last year and it was lovely to be able to sit on it in the shade and drink a beer and watch people go by and just feel the summer ahhhhhh.

So my friend who just started running after losing a ton of weight just did his first 5k today, in 21:17! I'm impressed, honestly, he's like a Biggest Loser kind of success so I'm very happy to hear I'm his inspiration to pick up running! :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#20 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Heading out to work transition at Tri for the Cure...:yawning:

#21 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM

Welcome Leslie and LMB.

JayGee - You aren't going to swim in the canal? I was tagging along to Gen Con so I could cheer you on. Now my entertainment will be looking at all the 'interesting' gamers. I hope you have a speedy recovery and return to full fitness.

The inlaws are . On top of all the hurt feelings I really do care about them but they make it so hard! I want to make nice but if any of you have any experience with Parkinson's med you might understand. They have totally affected fil's personality. I know it is a side effect of the drug but that does not change the inappropriateness of it all. After the funeral they will some here to visit which is fine. I will put on my big girl panties and make nice (and bare no skin at all no matter how hot it gets).

I am running on my scheduled off day in an effort to avoid the treadmill while dh is gone. Time to get out the door!

#22 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
JayGee - You aren't going to wim in the canal? I was tagging along to Gen Con so I could cheer you on. Now my entertaiment will be looking at all the 'interesting' gamers.
Sorry. I wish I could do it, but since I can only run about 5 minutes right now, a 10K (after swimming and biking) is out of the question. I will also admit that the thought of having a super slow time, after kicking a$$ last year, is too humbling for me to even consider doing it :. Bad attitude, I know.

I'm heading out for about 20 miles on my bike this morning before church. I'm not really very motivated to do it, but I know it will feel great once I'm out there.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#23 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Seriously JG, I hope you are feeling like your old self soon. I get not wanting a superslow time and I hope you take a careful road back so as not to reinjure yourself. It is the pits to not be where you want to be and onc ewere fitness wise. Enjoy the bike ride.

Why is it that I only get quoted when I have a bunch if tyoos?

ETA A super speedy five miles in and done. Once I can pull this sportsbra off (that might be my least favorite part of a run) I am going to shower.

#24 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 AM

so, I'm an aunt! she did have a c/s. not sure of the whole story, but maybe shoulder dystocia with absolutely no one who was going to help her change positions, etc. But she is happy and I'm glad all is well. Baby girl, which we knew, with a cool unusual name. welcome to the world baby J!

I am going to do a weight/core workout this morning (skipping church : ) bc it is raining pretty good around here. and I also have a dress to have non-jiggly arms in by September 12. Any tips?
#25 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Congrats, mamabeth! I have a hard time hearing c/s stories where I think the mama didn't get enough support - I hear you.

#26 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
bec

Congrats, Auntie!! I, too, understand how hard it is to hear C/S stories that proper birthing support could have avoided.

RR: I did 2.5 miles at the track this morning. The back is getting better (slowly), so I just took it very slowly. It loosened my back out for a while. I stopped when it started to feel like it was tightening up again. I'm going to go back to the chiro tomorrow, and hopefully will be better enough to resume normal mileage on Tuesday.

#27 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Congrats mamabeth. Sorry about the c/s. I send her quick healing vibes.

Have fun today, Gaye!!

Happy Sunday and Happy August!! :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#28 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

subbing

Congrats mamabeth! Sorry to hear about the c/s

rr: 5k at the track, 25:18 a new PR but I was shooting for around 24 but eh can't be disappointed. Followed it up with 4x100. Off for a shower then massage!
#29 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 PM

congrats MB!

welcome LMB and LB (we love monterey bay!):

congrats on the PR ashcav! wow that's speedy!

bec - sending your back some healing vibes :

---

so i talked at length to the mizuno guy last night...and he confirmed that my frankenstein shoes were toast and not a good set up at all.

he did NOT try to sell me mizunos or anything like that, which is why i enjoyed our conversation - ha! he did gait analysis and checked out our shoes. he basically took my shoes and crushed them in half with his hands - not lengthwise but widthwise! yikes. toast.

the other thing i have going on is that i fear i have a stress fracture brewing in my left toe. i have ignored it for a few weeks now and since the half last week it has been hurting consistently. i am looking for a podiatrist now. i have fractured my toe before (same spot, different foot) and so i recognize that dull ache. fingers crossed it is something else! :

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#30 of 676 Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Aaaarrrgh! Just a quick fly-by to sub! Trying to catch up to the garden in between visitors...

CFG I your RR and covet your ability.

poppy, it MUST be something else. Good luck!

mamabeth congratulations!

Welcome new Dingoes!

Happy August indeed! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page