September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Penelope, about your DH and your run this morning. I hope things work out with his job somehow. Sending healing vibes for your hip.

Bec, yep probably a marathon next. I've been thinking about it. Training will be tough because I have class two nights a week until 9 and work full time but I should be able to run MWFSat. I know I'll do the Marine Corps Marathon next October because my brother is a Marine and I'm thinking about the Breast Cancer Marathon in February in memory of my grandmother and because my boyfriend's parent's have friends in Jacksonville so I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel. Good luck with your 20 and half tomorrow! :

Geo, glad to hear you're having a good trip! Enjoy!

Gaye, good job I still can't imagine running after biking and swimming! Stinks about the rain though. Things with the boy sound promising, it was nice of him to wait for you Hope things continue to go well there.

rr: checked my official time and it was 1:56:23 which is weird because in the pictures it says 1:57 and we didn't have timing chips, so the timing system must have been off somehow. I'll take it of course! Soaking my huge blister in epsom salts now. I posted some pics my mom took on fb if anyone wants to see: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=e3efc1da50
#302 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 PM

It's so inspiring, reading about all of the fun everyone is having in their races. And exciting to read about a budding romance. Man, I remember the days when it was SUCH a big deal to catch sight of that perfect possibility.

No running to report here. I woke up to cold and rainy weather, and with a terrible headache. I haven't had a headache in a very long time, and I haven't been able to shake this one all day, even dosed up with ibuprofen and caffeine. Ugh.

Tomorrow, though, I'll wake up early and go, maybe on the bike path again. I'm hoping the weather will be nicer; we have a party thing to go to at the zoo in Boston and I'm going to be grouchy about it if it's cold. Why do I live in New England? :

About the hot male yoga--what could possibly be more motivational than that? Isn't half the exercise battle turning on the DVD and deciding to watch it in the first place? And if it's a little like yoga-plus, well, isn't exercise designed to get your heart pumping and blood flowing? I think the DVD will be fantastic!
#303 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 09:43 PM

I don't like yoga, but I could be persuaded to try Hot Male Yoga. Shh... :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#304 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Congratulations Gaye, Ash!!!!!!!
#305 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Congratulations on a great time Ashley! Cute photos too.

Gaye, it's a good sign that he waited for you after the race. How exciting! : Well, that and you did it! Great race.

Penelope, it is so hard when those we love aren't happy and well, especially when they are making crazy decisions that affect us for time yet to come. Hang in there.

Hmmm, Hot Male Yoga...

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#306 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 PM

nic~Do NOT feel silly...remember, I've been training for this for MONTHS! Two years ago, I couldn't have even fathomed doing what I just did today. I remember my first 7 mile run, and I'm pretty sure I napped that day. Oh, and as far as water...I have a camelbak and I like it a lot. My race belt is about all I can stand to have around my waist, and even that annoys me sometimes, and all it is is the elastic and my bib number! I really wasn't sure I'd be ok with the camelbak, but it's fine. It's a women's specific one, and it's nice being able to have water, bloks/other energy stuff, and my phone and ID all right there.

eta: Hot Male Yoga? I'm sooooo in!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#307 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM
bec

Mmmm, hot male yoga.:

Gaye - Sounds like an awesome race!!! Congratulations, and enjoy your rest!

Nic - I think that 2 naps sounds divine! lol

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#308 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Mmmm, hot male yoga.:
laughup

Gaye! You, my friend, are a ROCKSTAR! A Half-Ironwoman! I'm so excited and happy for you and just the teeniest bit jealous too :. And totally a good sign that boy waited for you .

ash ~ that is a great time for a half, and it's your first! WOW!

mommajb ~ I love the story of your DD being born on the corner in Germany !

I've been consistently doing my stretching as prescribed by the PT and dare I say, my leg feels much better . I go back again on Tuesday for more torture with the Graston tools.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#309 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM

nice job gaye!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#310 of 793 Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 PM

7:02:06! My swim time was faster than my swim at the Boulder Peak olympic! :

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#311 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 AM

ash - that's a great time! And your pics are cute - I always look like I'm throwing up a little in my mouth in mine.

gaye - OMG, you seriously are a rockstar! Wow. Just wow!

nic - I just carry a bottle in my hand. I'm so used to it now that I feel naked w/o it.

rr: just under 12 miles. Tried to pick up the last 5 miles to 8:30 pace and did better than I thought I would. Didn't come anywhere near that pace on the hilly mile, though.
#312 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM

which camelback?

so now that i did my long run yesterday to avoid the rain and it rained during the long run....

today is bright and sunny.

but it's very hot today so all in all i'm glad i did it early.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#313 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM

18 miles in the book. I am so proud to have done it. We averaged 9:30 pace so it could be faster but it is done. I ate breakfast before, stopped for a potty break at 8 miles, had 3 bloks, and ran on. Luckily, it was not hot as I could not stomach fluid this am. ?? Last week I got light headed about 13/14 miles in and today was great.

Nic, I am not the voice of experience but I cannot imagine wearing a camelback pack in FL heat. If the belt turns you off have you considered the handheld contraptions?

Gaye is a rock star!!

JG - I hope all that Graston work does the job.

Next is the early matinee to see Julie and Julia with dd1 and my 88 yo neighbor. I hope there isn't too much sexual innuendo but at least it will be dark.

I am currently collecting peanut butter cookies so I can determine my favorite. Feel free to pm or post any winners you have.

#314 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM

I think this is the one I have, although mine is a year and a half old.

Dude. My friends are kind of pissing me off on FB. I commented on a post that I couldn't run with a friend on Tuesday because we have a date to go to the zoo, and they're jumping all over it. "We? Who's we?" And "Excuse me? I think you need to call me?" UM, it's not a DATE date, people, it's a date with a friend and her son. BACK OFF!

And for some reason, I just have a gut feeling that I'm never going to hear from him again, anyway. If so, oh well, it was fun for a week.

#315 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Dude. My friends are kind of pissing me off on FB. I commented on a post that I couldn't run with a friend on Tuesday because we have a date to go to the zoo, and they're jumping all over it. "We? Who's we?" And "Excuse me? I think you need to call me?" UM, it's not a DATE date, people, it's a date with a friend and her son. BACK OFF!
LOL. I was reading that and wondering ... so is dude going to the zoo with you? But now I understand it's a playdate not a "date" date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
18 miles in the book. I am so proud to have done it. We averaged 9:30 pace so it could be faster but it is done. I ate breakfast before, stopped for a potty break at 8 miles, had 3 bloks, and ran on. Luckily, it was not hot as I could not stomach fluid this am. ?? Last week I got light headed about 13/14 miles in and today was great.

Nic, I am not the voice of experience but I cannot imagine wearing a camelback pack in FL heat. If the belt turns you off have you considered the handheld contraptions?

Gaye is a rock star!!

JG - I hope all that Graston work does the job.

Next is the early matinee to see Julie and Julia with dd1 and my 88 yo neighbor. I hope there isn't too much sexual innuendo but at least it will be dark.

I am currently collecting peanut butter cookies so I can determine my favorite. Feel free to pm or post any winners you have.
WOOT Mammajb. I saw Julie and Julia last weekend. There is some sex stuff in there, but IIRC no naked boys and it's all in context not just "hey baby let's get it on" kinda sex. Fun movie.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#316 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Penelope -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
What do others use and like/not like?
I have a camelbak fanny pack that I actually really like. It holds 45oz I think and there is space for other stuff, keys, phone, gels. There's a lot of space really so you don't have to be too picky about what you bring. Anyway, it doesn't slosh like I imagine bottle would since it's kept kind of vacuumed in. This is like it, though mine is about 5 years old.

Gaye!! Great time!! You are a super rockstar half ironwoman!! I'm sooo impressed! And maybe your gut is right but still, nothing says "I'm interested" better than blue lips.

As a church topic aside, I'm taking my girls this morning, not so much because I want to go, it's beautiful out and probably one of the last gorgeous days of the season, but after not seeing the family for most of the summer someone called last night and another woman sent me a message on FB! and a little : I guess today is their big kick off service for the fall or something but they did go right up to the line of making me not want to participate. Let me come in on my own dudes, don't push it!

CFG - I have a picture of you and I know that's not true!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#317 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I am going to try to keep up with this crazy paced thread. I have attempted a time or two in the past and just couldn't do it. But, I am finding the more I run, the more I need such a community.

Intro:

My name is Heather. I have a wonderful dp (who is a BIG time runner) and a 6 year old ds. Additionally, I am a first grade teacher in Oakland, CA, so basically my life revolves, 24/7, around 6 year olds right now.

I have been running off and on for the past 4-5 years. I am currently getting ready to run my first race on Oct. 4 at the San Jose Rock n' Roll 1/2 Marathon. Dp will also be running the race, but will he FAR, FAR in front of me (Mr. 6-7:00 Miler), as I am significantly slower than him (Ms. 13-14:00 Miler). Is there a turtle smiley??

My last long run on Saturday was 10 1/2 miles at about a 13:36 pace with 2:00 run/2:00 walk intervals. Our running coach for this race strongly recommends run/walk intervals for long runs.

I felt amazing afterwards though and could have probably gone futher, but my running partner wasn't feeling as great. I figured it would be better to stop while I was feeling good, as one of my biggest faults is that I overtrain and overdo it (I am overly ambitious and often want instant results ), which results in my burning out. I have a hard time finding the balance... any suggestions?

I REALLY, REALLY want to be faster. I hate being slow. This is probably my biggest hang up with my running. I often feel very embarassed about being so slow... it irritates me.

But, I am thinking I need to first get through this 1/2 marathon and then focus more on building up my speed, because at least, I will already have a strong base. Does that sound right? Any thoughts or suggestions?
#318 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
bec

Welcome, Heather! Sounds about right on! My RP and I just finished her first half marathon! We trained our long runs at about 13:00-13:30 pace. You might be surprised how much you are able to pick it up on race day. We crossed the finish line at around 2:44 today! A fantastic time and around 12:30 pace (give or take). We were actually running a bit faster than that, but there were some potty breaks, shoe adjusting breaks, etc. Ladies, I have to tell you, that Sarah just rocked this half!!! We are planning on working on speed during the fall and winter, and train for the Indy mini for next spring (any Dingos want to do a repeat?).

Oh, and the decision to get up early and run 7 miles before the race was the very best decision I could have made! I was out the door and running at 5:09am! Instead of coffee, I had an Espresso Gu (it was the best I could do!). Anyway, it was dark, and super foggy. And it was cool. It was 57 degrees when I started, and no sun. It was awesome running. I averaged 11:41, and I was really holding back my pace, knowing that I had this half coming on! I felt so good throughout this run. I am so glad there are two 20 milers in this schedule! I really feel like I could have run another 6.1 after finishing the race. And, on that note, I am OFFICIALLY tapering!!!

Ok, there is a nap, and a lot of couch time in my future for today. Oh, and beer.

#319 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Go, Bec!

#320 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Awesome job Bec! I'm so impressed than you ran a half as part of your 20 miler! Enjoy your nap and beer.

Hi Heather, welcome!

Nice 18 miler mommajb!
#321 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Wow, Mommajb, can I share that story? It's the best baby-comes-unexpectedly story, and my MIL get such a kick out of it!

Whew, and good job on the 18!!

Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I don't like yoga, but I could be persuaded to try Hot Male Yoga. Shh... :
up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
And maybe your gut is right but still, nothing says "I'm interested" better than blue lips.
Good one! :

Way to go Gaye, Bec, ashcav!!! : :

Heather! I'm slow, too, but I'm finding that my times are improving over time even without much (any) speedwork. Adding some speedwork into my workout is definitely a goal of mine, too.

10 miles this morning - my last long run before next weekend's HM. It went fine - nice cool weather, some good podcasts, lots of fast runners out there getting ready for the upcoming race weekend.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#322 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Gaye - great job on your race!

I'm back from my mtn bike weekend with friends and had a lot of fun. Rode two hours yesterday and a good three hour ride today. Yesterday's ride I still had some swelling issues from the darned bee sting, but by today it had cleared up. Nothing too exciting to report, but excited for a beer and a nap before getting ready to get ready for our CO trip.
#323 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Penelope, I hope your running is better on your next run.

Plady, thanks for the link on the camel back. I like the looks of that one.

Good racing and running bec
Woot! on the first half marathon!
I haven't signed up for Indy in the spring but it is never too early to make plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Gaye!! Great time!! You are a super rockstar half ironwoman!! I'm sooo impressed! And maybe your gut is right but still, nothing says "I'm interested" better than blue lips.
Not quite blue lips but close.

Hi Heather and welcome. Speed comes with time IME. Just more fitness leading to better times. Speed drills might help but they wear me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Wow, Mommajb, can I share that story? It's the best baby-comes-unexpectedly story, and my MIL get such a kick out of it!
Share away; it is already quite public as we made several papers and the advert/poster on the machines the next day for das Bild. Stupid American gives birth on a street corner during morning rush hour. All 5 have been precipitous but this one was ridiculous. Oddly enough another woman gave birth a couple blocks from "my corner" a couple of weeks later.

#324 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Blah. I think I have the post-race blues already. I just have this huge feeling of "now what?" in a lot of different areas. Sigh.

#325 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
bec

Gaye

official results are in. Sarah was kind enough to let me go through the gate first, so my time is 2:43:09, and Sarah's time was 2:44:06! Our average pace was 12:32 (which is faster than her 5k race pace that she ran in July!).

#326 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Wooo Hooo bec and Sarah!!!!! Great job on your race today (especially with that 7 mile warmup!)

Gaye

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#327 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Gaye

official results are in. Sarah was kind enough to let me go through the gate first, so my time is 2:43:09, and Sarah's time was 2:44:06! Our average pace was 12:32 (which is faster than her 5k race pace that she ran in July!).
Great job! That is quite the improvement to run a half at a faster pace than a 5K. :

Gaye. There will be more new things on the horizon soon. You have just accomplished something great, savor it and treat yourself well.

#328 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Gaye and welcome Heather and thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I think the mystery source of dampness on my dining room floor is *not* the cat, *not* the mis-placed gutter leaking into the house, but.... the upstairs toilet leaking. I think I'll try shutting it off/not using it for a few days and see if the dampness recedes. 'Cause I needed this, yk?

Off to do Never Ending Class Prep, whooha!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#329 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 PM

bec, very impressive!!! I'm pretty sure there weren't many others at the start line who had just run 7!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#330 of 793 Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Woohoo to all of the racers-I enjoyed reading all of the race reports:

I use a fuel belt-i tried a Camelbak-ugh-it felt like someone was on my back-I couldn't stand it. I like the idea of Plady's though-my fuel belt is ancient-I really should get somethig else. I hold one of them in my hand on my shorter runs. I need water continuously when I run-just little sips. Plady-are those easy to refill if you are out for a long run? Do you need to refill it -say for a 15 miler or something?

I ran about 4 this morning and it felt horrible. I feel like I am getting slower. Its frustrating. I know my inconsistancy is part of it-I am still not into a regular routine yet-so I never know how many times I am going to be able to run in a week. I also live in an area with tons of hills-there is no such thing as a flat run around here. Its a choice between long and gradual and oh my goodness I am going to fall over the hills are so steep. Throw a running stroller and I am toast on some days.

Welcome, Heather Jump right in. I haven't been on here all wknd and it took a bit to catch up -while trying to get ideas for a 5yr old dd's bd party...any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page