September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bec, that's awesome.

Thanks for the hugs. I can't wait until I have fantabulous news to report.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#422 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Yay, bec! :

penelope~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Gaye ~ I love your pictures. I think "pensive" is the best word for those pre-swim pics. Maybe if we end up moving to Colorado (pleasepleaseplease), I'll join you for that halfIM next summer !
: Pensive, huh? I think "scared $&!*less" is more like it! Is Colorado on the radar for you guys? That would be AWESOME!!! I would love for you to come smoke me in next year's Harvest Moon!

What a freaking long day today. And it's not done yet. I've done track practice, bike ride with friends, and meeting with financial planner. Still have childcare committee meeting to go. And all I want to do is take a nap. :

Still no word from the boy. I like your theory, bec, but I'm skeptical. I'm writing it off, and if he does ever reappear, it'll be a nice surprise, I guess. Boys are weird.

So we went for a bike ride this morning. Holy moly. Legs are TIRED. We only did 16.5ish (pulling the trailer, but still) and I was just done. Totally done. Actually I was done by 10, but still had to get back to the car. Somehow, what should have been a downhill ride totally felt uphill. With a headwind.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#423 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Duuuude. It's been a long hump day. But I can say I at least began it well: 2+ mile run even though I really didn't want to. Since I admitted that 2 x a week is better than zero times a week I actually am doing 2 x a week and I'm down almost 6 lbs since my annual exam. : Now on to moving back into my real pants size (vs. pretending that I'm that size).

My kid likes first grade but doesn't want to admit it.
My little kid likes preschool and wishes it could be every day.
Knock on wood, is this really happening? I've been fighting Erin to go to school for a whole year now.

Geofizz: I owe you an email re math stuff you asked me. It's coming, I promise.

Drjen: I'm glad your son's doing ok in science. I hope the rest of th eyear is smoother. Also fun to see that Carrie has a journal!

Gaye: Did your boy know you had a son pre-race? Maybe you're just too wicked awesome for him.

Shanti: glad ot see you again, I'm so pleased it sounds like healing is going well.

Bec: yay about the tick.

I've got a bunch'a b.s. crap going on at work. I'm in a really crummy place about it all, but something will transpire, of this I'm sure.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#424 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 PM

So I haven't run any sort of race since, like, college. That was a long time ago. But I've been running every day and toying with the idea of running something official before it gets too cold and I begin my winter whining/hibernation stage. My neighbor saw me running and encouraged me to enter a local 5K. The first annual, as a matter of fact, to get in on the ground floor and start a nice tradition.

I was all set to enter.

Then my printer refused to print the entry form.

And my neighbor who was putting on the pressure showed up at the bus stop this morning on crutches.

Is the universe sending me a message?

Ran my usual this morning before the getting-up chaos began. I used to be so tolerant of DH and his morning difficulties, waking him up multiple times, being all understanding.... no more. Now I have to drag him PLUS two kids up and out of bed at the same time, and I'm not nearly as pleasant. Poor DH.

My ankles hurt and I'm not sure what to do about it. Right beside my Achilles' tendons on both sides, both feet hurt. While I'm running it's okay, then gets worse when I stop, then feels okay over the course of the day while I'm up and walking around, but stiffens up again if I'm sitting for awhile. Seems like a muscle thing, maybe? I'll probably stay off the roads and ride the exercise bike the next couple of days. Hate that thing.

This afternoon the kids and I went to Whole Foods to exchange our old Sigg bottles with BPA for new BPA-free ones. I was talking to DH about it at dinner tonight, saying it's sad that I'm so cynical about the world that I always expect everything to be a fight. I totally thought we'd walk in and they'd be all insulting about needing a receipt and refuse to take the bottles, but in reality they couldn't have been more helpful and cheerful, even going so far as to unload a new shipments of the bottles while we were there so the kids could have the largest selection. I should write a nice letter to someone about it. Put some positive vibes out there into the universe.
#425 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM

How to extract the seeds from a pomegranate

It's in Hebrew, but you can see what he's doing. It really works and limits the red splotches on your shirt.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#426 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM

Had a peaceful day off today. (Except for getting my teeth cleaned.) I finally mailed my mom's birthday gift - her birthday was Sept 4. I finished some more stupid paperwork and charting at the office, I read a bit, and I ran 5 miles. I could do this everyday, minus the stupid busywork at the office.

RR - I ran 2 miles, then ran with the empty jogger to Caroline's school to pick her up, and back with her in it. 5 miles total. The weather is so nice here - high 70s, but dry and breezy and it feels so nice to be outside.
#427 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Gaye, nice pics. Definitely looking a little nervous before the swim but that's totally understandable knowing what you had in front of you! What you accomplished is great

Penelope, I hope things start to look up soon.

pilotchick2005, why the boot? Great job on the half

bec, I'm so glad Katie's tic have gotten better. I hope they continue to disappear.

rr: went to the track after work, warmup, 1x200, 1x300, 2x400, 1x300, 1x200, 2x100, cooldown - about 4+ miles total. Felt pretty good, which was a nice surprise.

DrJen, if you see this, could you add these two races for me:

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k September 27: http://komenmassrace.kintera.org/faf...?ievent=305839

Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women October 12: http://www.tuftshealthplan.com/tufts10k/

Thanks! :
#428 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM

ashcav - I added your races. Any chance you want to try to hook up for a run somewhere Oct 13-17? I'll be Boston for a conference that week, but have my evenings free, or can skip out on some sessions during the day if I want.
#429 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post

Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women October 12: http://www.tuftshealthplan.com/tufts10k/

Aw, the Tufts 10K! I used to run that with my high school cross-country team every year. What a nice memory. Maybe next year I'll be ready to run it again. We all used to look forward to the massages afterward, and stealing the balloon garlands to bring to the hospital and distribute the balloons to kids there. Back when latex balloons were allowed in hospitals. Man, thinking about that makes me feel old.
#430 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post

pilotchick2005, why the boot? Great job on the half
I have tendonitis in my left foot, pretty severe, and it wasn't healed by race day. Stubborn me decide to run against most people's advice....and I'm glad I did! Except now I have to rest my foot, so it's in a big ol' boot. I hate it! I want to RUN or at least exercise. Tri-athlon class started on Monday and I just had to sit back and watch. Rats!
#431 of 793 Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 PM

kerc~Yeah, he knew I had a son. I dropped it into conversation at least a couple of times, since I'm just not the type of girl to wait till, like the 3rd date to bring it up. : Whatever...

I'm doing the Race for the Cure, too, but I'm not gonna bother putting it on the race list, since we're doing the 1 m family walk with Amy as a team.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#432 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 AM

I am reading along, keeping busy, and I hope for personals soon

FMR: 6.3 miles on the TM this morning. I actually got up with the alarm, went to the gym, did my whole workout, and made it home by the prescribed time. Kinda, sorta unbelieveable.

Time to walk Alice to school.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#433 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Gaye: Did your boy know you had a son pre-race? Maybe you're just too wicked awesome for him.
If he knew you had a son, then I come back to maybe you're just too wicked awesome for him!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#434 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ugh - too soon to start any work with weights, I guess. By bedtime last night one breast was hard and swollen and extremely painful. I didn't think a 2 lb weight could affect me that much, so I will wait a few more weeks before trying again.

I have a ton of reading to get done today so that should help everything heal a little faster. Great excuse not to wash any floors!

So far so good for my kids with school this year - I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.
#435 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
How to extract the seeds from a pomegranate

It's in Hebrew, but you can see what he's doing. It really works and limits the red splotches on your shirt.
THANK YOU!!!! My previous best method involved involved a bowl of water a lot of time and not so many seeds being extracted!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#436 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM

I posted for a few weeks ago a while back when I was running a bit. I went back to lurking (you guys are awesome in a totally intimidating, I want to be you when I grow up and run with the big girls kind of way) and have continued to run. Regularly. Like I mean it.

So now I'm going to come back out of the closet and join you if you will have me. I'm currently doing about 3 miles, 3x a week, cross training on the spinning bike, and yesterday I actually dug out a swimsuit and swam laps for 15 long minutes without touching the bottom (YIKES that was hard. Who knew?)

I've recently lost 40 lbs and have maintained for 2 months so far. I've been working out for the last 10 years minus a year taken off for a knee injury (which is amazingly ok with my running as long as I'm not carrying the extra weight) but this is the first time in my life I've ever felt like an athlete.

Now that I'm at my goal weight I feel like I need something to work towards. I know I will be doing a 5k at our local Y for Halloween, but I'm already running that distance regularly, so other than doing it faster I feel like it's not really much of a stretch. I have the idea of a sprint tri in my head but would need a new bike.......

Other than that I am a birth doula who just might be starting midwifery school a year earlier than planned as there is an apprenticeship opening with an amazing midwife, one that other students would sell a kidney for. I feel like I need to leave myself open to the possibility that sometimes these things happen when they are supposed to rather than when they are planned and that we can make it work. My dinglets are 18 (graduated! starting college next week! eek!), 5th grade and K (both at a co-op elementary that rocks my world) and dh is a computer geek for the company that builds things that fly.

Can I stay and play?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#437 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Memiles, welcome!

RR: nada. I slept in. But I'm doing 20 on Saturday, and I want to baby my IT band a bit, so I'm cutting my shorter runs, keeping my long runs, and hoping my marathon training can be imperfect but effective enough.

Dh report: he called to describe what he's doing to fix various $ shortages - an online transfer, a bill paid, etc. He did the math last night and figured out we're losing quite a bit per month with his new job vs. his last job, and was apologetic, which is at least taking some responsibility. We're working on a plan to pay some debt.

I'm trying to pursuade him that he needs to do the tough work of figuring out what he wants and pursuing it, rather than whining and being miserable and waiting for things to fix themselves. We'll see. I am feeling better.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#438 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Welcome, Memiles! Come play with the Dingos anytime (cross over to the dark side, tadadum tadaum.... )

You are definitely an ATHLETE and also congratulations on the weight loss! I may run a lot but I'm still hanging on to 20 extra lbs. so I am going to : to you!

I just got back from talking to both dds' classes about Rosh Hashanah. Can I just mention, I miss teaching? I left a fantastic teaching job when we moved, and I miss it. I was in a private school before, so I didn't need certification (my subject area Ph.D. was enough) but I am considering pursuing certification now, to broaden my possibilities. I love teaching at the university level, but there is something so fresh and fun about teaching younger kids. They're just so ... wide open ... and engaging. And not afraid to ask questions. I find it very rewarding.

One of the kids in my younger dd's class (she's in a K/1 montessori room) stopped me when I introduced myself and said, "don't you want to go around in the circle and learn our names?" . Heh, clearly I am not up on the protocol! I am so impressed with the Montessori system, and the way my girls are totally blossoming in it. I love their attention to all the learning styles and the emphasis on social skills and mutual respect. Seriously, I"m quite infatuated with this school.

I feel energized in a way I haven't since we've moved. I am really going to look into this. With what money I haven't a clue, but you never know...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#439 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I just got back from talking to both dds' classes about Rosh Hashanah. Can I just mention, I miss teaching? I left a fantastic teaching job when we moved, and I miss it. I was in a private school before, so I didn't need certification (my subject area Ph.D. was enough) but I am considering pursuing certification now, to broaden my possibilities. I love teaching at the university level, but there is something so fresh and fun about teaching younger kids. They're just so ... wide open ... and engaging. And not afraid to ask questions. I find it very rewarding.
Nic, this is something I'm seriously considering too! I talked with two of my neighbors yesterday, both are teachers, and they told me that there are 1.5-2 year programs that end with state certification and often a Master's degree in education as well. They also said that there are tons of grants available to non-traditional (read OLD MOM) students and I'd probably not have to pay a dime for it ! Finally, they said that schools are very eager to employ teachers who are a little more "mature" (read OLD MOM again...)! I'm waiting until we move next summer, but will hopefully be starting next fall toward a teaching cert . I also adore working with younger kids, especially kindergarten age. They are just so open at that age.

Memiles, Welcome! You are for sure an athlete. And come, join the dark side of triathlon ! I started with a sprint tri in 2007 and am planning a 1/2 iron distance for next summer. Beware, triathlon is addictive ! And congrats on the weight loss. That is a serious accomplishment.

bec, I'm so happy to hear that your DD's tic is disappearing. You must be so relieved and happy.

I went for a short walk with friends this morning and then to PT. The physical therapist says I'm doing great and wants to start me with some easy jogging on the treadmill next week ! I am beside myself with excitement!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#440 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM

week 4 of couch to 5k is TOAST! On to week 5 next time. I am taking it slow but I'm getting there! My first 5k is on 11/22.

Welcome, memiles!

Gaye, I think maybe your guy was threatened by how totally awesome you were in the tri.
#441 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM

RR:
I live on the top of a hill that's 1/2 mile up with 270 feet of elevation gain. Unless otherwise noted, you can assume that my runs start by walking down it, and end with hiking up it. It sucks, and I'll probably bitch about it often.

DH took my car along with my armband that perfectly fits my BlackBerry. So I rigged an old iPod arm band. It broke 1/4 miles in, so the remaining 3 miles involved clutching it in my hand and praying I didn't drop it. I took a new route that looked fairly flat when I drove it, but was actually basically 1.5 gently down and 1.5 gently back up. My legs felt like lead the second half, which probably had more to do with the wine last night than the incline, but I am blaming the hill and sticking to that story.

And then I hiked the mountain, fantasizing the entire time about moving somewhere in the midwest where it's flatflatflat.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#442 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM

nic - I'll have to try that pomegranate trick, thanks! The rest of the page was interesting reading, too.

bec - that is such fantastic news about Katie! I just love when the solution to what seems like a colossal problem turns out to be so simple.

penelope - That is great that your DH is acknowledging the problem. At least he's taken the first step toward fixing it, now let's hope he continues.

memiles - welcome back! Feel free to complain all you want about hills, that way I won't be the only one. I loathe them, too, and also fantasize about moving somewhere pancake flat. My 1/2 next month is pancake flat and I'm SO incredibly excited about that fact.

jaygee - I'm so excited for you that you'll be able to run again next week. Awesome!

So far none of us have gotten DH's illness yet. Yay!

rr: 7 miles inc. 4 @ 8:15. Had to use the TM because by the time I was done procrastinating, it was too hot out. I really need to try harder to get my butt in gear in the a.m.
#443 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM

, memiles! Seriously, watch out for tris...jaygee wasn't kidding about them being addictive. I did my first sprint two years ago, my first olympic last summer, and my first half-ironman last Saturday! (no, I don't expect to do a full IM next summer, although I really would like to ) As for the bike, I guess it depends what kind of bike you have, but I did my first two sprints on my mountain bike. I shelled out for some slick tires, which helped a bit. And I was far from the only person on a mountain bike! Congrats on your weight loss!

jaygee and nic~My best friend is a brand new teacher aka OLD MOM (although she just turned 30, but still...) She went back for a master's/teacher cert program that took a year to complete. She hasn't finished her thesis yet, so doesn't technically have her master's, but that actually helped her with the job search, since budget-strapped schools are much more likely to hire a candidate without a master's right now since they don't have to pay them as much.

You guys are cracking me up with the thoughts on my awesomeness. Yeah, cuz a guy who finished an hour and a half faster than me with no training is threatened by the awesomeness of how far back I finished.

Like I said, whatever. I will confess to being a bit confused, at the very least just by the complete lack of any kind of communication, even to say "see ya around". Maybe he'll reappear at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

DS has just been a joy today. Whiny, whiny, whiny. The lack of nap all week is rearing its ugly head. Hopefully he's not too bad at school. I'm covering a softball game in a few hours, but I think I'm going to take advantage of having at least a little bit of time to take a nap. I am utterly exhausted!

#444 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

She went back for a master's/teacher cert program that took a year to complete.
That was my program also. A MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching), which was a masters/teaching certification all wrapped up in a full-time, very busy and intensive 12 months of student teaching and studying.

It was very worth it, though, as I was significantly further up the salary scale with all of my graduate level credits. My district does not provide an extra stipend for having a masters, but it is Oakland, CA and that often says it all right there.

rr: Nothing since Tuesday and can't do anything tonight either. It has been crazy!

So, I'll run on Friday, cross-train on Saturday and do a 12-mile long run on Sunday. Then, I will start to taper for the Oct. 4 race, although I was told to start tapering now... but, I really want to achieve those 12 miles before the race.
#445 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

RE: masters in teaching-
My sister is currently doing a program through City U in Seattle. She graduated from U of Wa a few years ago and got sucked into the money of waiting tables in a swanky Italian restaurant. She's loving the program, although it's kicking her butt to be doing her student teaching, in class all day Saturday, then working 5 shifts a week on her feet at night. She is far from old (28) and not-yet-a-mom, but I think she's going to be a far better teacher for her life experience than she would have been had she gone straight out of college.

#446 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Memiles, does your user name refer to the divine alone time of running?

I didn't run today but I did do my lower body weight workout with a cooldown in the pool and a really nice dip in the hot tub. I could have taken a nap in there, it wasn't too hot but it felt delicious.
My legs were so sore today after last night's INTENSE tkd class that after every set I could only flop down on a bench and pant. They still feel all weak and wobbly, but in that good way . And I've decided that this time around I just can't do Atkins level carb reductions. I just feel like a zombie and I wasn't losing weight much either. But I will keep the refined stuff to the bare minimum, I certainly don't need to bring ice cream back!

Penelope - That is great that your husband acknowledged some responsibility, I'm sure it wasn't easy.

Bec - : for Katie, and you you must be so relieved.

Shanti - I'm sure it won't be long before you've forgotten all about the post-op inconvenience and are off on new adventures!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#447 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Memiles, does your user name refer to the divine alone time of running?
It didn't when I chose it years ago, but it's certainly appropriate now. I once got into a discussion on another board about how people pronounced my user name.

#448 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
bec

Plady - Check out South Beach Diet.

Well, two steps forward, one step back, I guess. I got a call from Katie's principal today. They are splitting her class up. They are taking away the multi-age classroom, and are giving her a new teacher. Yes, the school year started two weeks ago. This is going into effect on Monday. On the plus side, I was able to suss out who her teacher will be, and she happens to be a friend of mine, and I know her pretty well. The plus side here is that I think she'll be a great fit for Katie, and I know she will keep the lines of communication open. I have already talked to her about it.

DH is at Emily's school for their curriculum night. I have putting children to bed duty. Emily has brought home exactly two examples of the work that she has done in the last two weeks. They have her tracing her name, and tracing color words. We met with the teacher last week to talk about where she's at, but, apparently, they believe that this is appropriate work for her. Never mind she's teaching herself multiplication, reading at about the same level as Katie, etc. I think I'm going to ask Emily to write her teacher a letter, in her own words and ask her for more challenging work!

RR: Got 5 in, at a 10:54 pace!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#449 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Hi, just found your group and am subbing.

It appears to be quite fast moving so I'll try to keep up.

I'm a slow mama runner who is doing Chicago in a couple weeks. I have digestive issues so if anyone has any tricks I'd be happy to hear them.
#450 of 793 Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Okay, the fates realigned today. I went to the library with my kids this afternoon and there, in screaming-bright yellow, were stacks of pamphlets for the local 5K. And the place to mail the entry form to is within walking distance, so I wouldn't even have to mail it; I could just march over and stick it in this guy's mailbox.

I guess I'm running this thing. Eek!

DH said he's bring the kids and cheer for me. I suggested "go, turtle, go!" as an appropriate catchphrase. He's too nice to agree, though.

Ankles feel better today, since I didn't get up and run. While DD was in kindergarten, I decided today's workout could be to spend two and a half hours with DS raking debris from my yard and pulling it in a wagon to a spot where we used to have a pit. Now it's a huge mound that I'm hoping will decompose down a bit this winter, and I'm feeling better and better about my yard. I'm sorry to say I'm clearcutting the forest that is my side yard, in an effort to get more sunlight and fewer mosquitoes into my life. Nature's revenge will most certainly be my sixth case of poison ivy this summer, even though I'm SURE I avoided those nasty plants today. This weekend I'll haz-mat-suit it up and see what I can do about that situation.

Oh, and I guess I'll also run, since this race thing is a week from Sunday. Eek. (I wonder if I'll get a tee shirt. Maybe I should knock on the guy's door when I bring over my entry form, stalker-style, and ask.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page