September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 793 Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

First, I need to finish knitting this hat as an excuse to buy more yarn.
Wait, we need excuses to buy more yarn? Isn't "that's pretty, I need it" enough of a reason?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#482 of 793 Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Gaye..I don't know how private you are, so if you don't mind him seeing everything in your blog it's fine, if you're more private then no I wouldn't send it. What do you want out of possibly dating this guy? Maybe he's just a slow mover..could be a good thing. Or, maybe he's just busy, or wrapped up in his own life. I don't know, but it could just be a fun thing for awhile? I know it must be difficult to jump into the dating scene again. The main thing is to take care of yourself emotionally and otherwise right now!
#483 of 793 Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM

OK still not sure if I'm doing this right....there is only one way to find out.

Since you don't know me yet, I will go ahead and tell you that I do not know how to say "no". Bec has coached me, even given me script to follow, but I can't do it. So, when my neighbor, who we've been semi-spatting with, invited me to go running with her Sunday morning, I had to say yes. I didn't want to tell her I was injured. Yeah, I know. I'm a loser. So we'll go out Sunday am for a few miles and let's hope I return intact. Besides, I feel much better. Right?

~Bec - I think having E write a letter to Miss G is a fine idea, I'm wondering why you're toying with the idea? You have nothing to lose, IMHO. I still think you should send enrichment work with E to school and have her work on it there. Reinforce the idea to Miss G that Em has brains and they need to be used. On the other hand, Miss G might take the "well, since her parents are sending her extra work, I can step out". Internalize and embrace "home schooling Mom".

~tjsmama - Cool that you got an email from your tri-boy. Have you responded? I think you should wait on the link to the race report, but that's just my opinion. Guys are weird.

~Rats I don't remember who succumbed to peer pressure and signed up for marathon? Mommyjb might be the name? Ack I'm bad. Anyways, I hear ya. I started RUNNING because of peer pressure. (Bec, I'm talkin' to YOU).

~imsubrosa - congrats on signing up for the Chicago, I'm excited to watch it on TV...never occured to go watch it in person. Bec, you up for a trip?

Oh yeah one more thing.....what the heck does "subbing" mean on these posts? Too lazy to go look for a FAQ thread.
#484 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Gaye - I'd be inclined to not link him. But that's probably just because I'm old and out of touch with the kids these days.

pilotchick - don't do it!!!! This is serious. You are injured and the dr. has you in a boot! Running on a minor injury is what causes major injuries. I know it's hard to say no, but you really have to. Maybe Bec can tell her for you.

rr: 6 easy miles. Going to have to do my LR tomorrow instead of Sun. because now DD1 is sick, too, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm sick as well. It's really hot, too, so that means waking up at . I hate waking up that early.
#485 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotchick2005 View Post
So, when my neighbor, who we've been semi-spatting with, invited me to go running with her Sunday morning, I had to say yes.

I started RUNNING because of peer pressure. (Bec, I'm talkin' to YOU).
You tell her you can go for a walk! A bike ride, a swim, but NO RUNNING!!! I'll call your doctor on you!

I'll get you running a marathon yet! For everyone else, I have quietly bid my time, nudging, and hinting, and out right asking her to run. I suggested the c25k, and waited until we were at the gym together, and the all the ellipticals were in use. I chuckled, and said, "Look! There's a couple of treadmills side by side!"

Sending the multiplication workbook to school might be a good idea, too. We were over at friends' this evening, and one of them asked her what 6x7 was. She had to work it out, but she came back after a few minutes with the right answer.

Gaye - See? I told you! He's just agonizing on how to connect with the super awesome, super hot babe that is also a triathlete!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#486 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Pilotchick~JUST SAY NO! Seriously, what cornflake girl said! And here's the crash course on how I keep up and keep who said what straight...I go back to the last post I remember reading...when I see something I want to respond to, I click the multi-quote button on that post (the middle of the three). Then when I'm caught up, I hit the post reply button. This puts all the posts that you wanted to respond to right there in your reply box, and then you can either respond and then delete the original quote (or parts of it), or leave the quote. That's just how I do it, anyway. Well, that, and I have no life so I'm online ALL THE TIME. Makes it much easier to keep up.

Finally finished the stoopid lab. I think this was pretty much it for slides, thank goodness. I flipping hate slides.

Guess I'll start working on that email now. It may or may not get finished tonight...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#487 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 AM

Pilotchick - I'll be an echo. Don't do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Going to have to do my LR tomorrow instead of Sun. because now DD1 is sick, too, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm sick as well. It's really hot, too, so that means waking up at . I hate waking up that early.
Well, it is going to rain here so we are going to run this morning at that same time. I am getting nerves before long runs now too. What is up?!

Gaye - Have you followed the Louisville case where the coach (Stinson might be the name) was charged with homicide I believe after his football player died from heatstroke complications after a practice? He was not convicted but now they are talking about putting ATs in each high school.

Off to dress for the LR.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#488 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 AM

Kerc: Oh, sure, there are days when I'd like to put the kids to bed at 2 p.m.

Geo: That place sounds nice! And weather is supposed to be great. Let us know how it was. I hope you got that paper done. Enjoy Bamberg!

And I love how the link takes you to a website of the "Bavarian Palace Department".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
So, um, yeah. Got an email from the boy this morning. Again, lots of chit chat and not much substance, but it's something, anyway. I'm waiting until at least this evening or tomorrow to reply.
Oh yeah, two can play that game. My take on it: he was purposely not contacting you so that you would have the impression that he's so casual, and he doesn't really want to scare you off by coming on too strong.

Quote:
All of this school stuff sounds incredibly frustrating. If there are that many kids who truly don't even look at a pencil for 3 straight months, maybe there is something to be said for year round school?
I love that idea! We have friends in NC who are doing a year-round school, and they really like the periodic breaks in all different seasons rather than just one big long break in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Wait, we need excuses to buy more yarn? Isn't "that's pretty, I need it" enough of a reason?
Works for me.

CFG: I hope you get your LR in today & that you don't get sick either!

MommaJB: did you get your LR done?

OK, we are off to pick up our race packets! Yay! My dd2 is running in a 1,000 meter race in the afternoon, so she gets a number and everything. I'm excited. So far, I have found no info at all on what kind of sports drink they will be serving on the route. I guess I'll drink whatever they have.

For nutrition, I guess I will bring a gel along with me, though I wish I had something different. Sometimes the gels (when I eat a whole one) hit my stomach really hard. I might just try to do it without anything and only use the gel if I'm feeling really tired.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#489 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Good luck, mel! Go get 'em! : I hear you on the gels, btw...both halfs that I had GI issues during, I can contribute at least partly to gels. I've found that they're just too much for me. Can you nurse it along and not take the whole thing at once? Of course, then you're carrying a sticky mess with you...

I'm off to volunteer. Man, it's early. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah, cuz I'm a triathlon addict!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#490 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Gaye ~ have fun volunteering. I wanted to volunteer at our last tri of the season today too, but the contact info for the race director didn't work . I agree that boy is biding his time. DH did that when we first started dating. Mighty annoying!

Mel ~ yay! It's race weekend! How fun that your DD is racing too . Make sure your gels don't have added caffeine. I also always take mine with water at a water stop to prevent gastric stuff.

mommajb ~ you've got rain coming today? Not here. Hopefully. Have a great long run and congrats on the marathon registration! Color me insanely jealous.

pilotchik ~ do not do it! IMO, the boot is a perfect excuse TO say no. As in "I'd love to, but my doctor says I can do real damage by running with this injury. How about a walk instead?" Take it from someone who ran on an injury for 2 months before stopping and now has been not running for 3 months. Not a good idea.

Geo ~ glad you're having a good time in Germany .

DH talked with Kay's principal yesterday and he told him that he was actually present when the whole hand taping thing occurred and stopped it quickly (not quickly enough, IMO, but whatever...) The guy actually knew one of the kids and that's how it got started, joking around, and of course other kids including my DD wanted "in" on the taping action.

And DH also talked to Kay about quitting soccer. She WANTS to play . I think she loves the social aspect of it. But if she wants to continue playing, then she shall .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#491 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Catching up on personals, getting ready for 20. My outlier gel experience: I love the ones with extra supah caffeine. They go down kind of sticky and nasty, but three minutes later you're awake! and good to go again.

Have a good Saturday, dingos!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#492 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You *totally* could. Trust me. Bike distances are deceiving! My very first time out, not having biked in years AND pulling a trailer, I did 12 miles. And believe me, I was NOT in great shape back then.
agreed. Remember in bike riding there is a "uber slow" option ... for us in runnign we call that walking. There is a also a gliding option (as there is for roller blading and skiing)

Quote:
Ok, advice please...when I email the boy back, do I send him the link to my race report, thereby linking him to my blog (and tons of info about my life)? I'm kind of torn...
No. At least go on a real date with him before you send him that kind of stuff. *but* you could copy and paste the text of the race report into the email and say, here"s my race report from my blog. But maybe you should just recount it in person on a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
This is Geofizz we're talking about. She's a minimalist and doesn't think like that if on the other hand she wants to buy ME some more yarn, she has my address.

Bec: I wouldn't send the letter because, well, I think in some ways it's being passive aggressive and in some ways it is undermining the teacher's authority. If it were your kid's idea, then it's a different story. But if it is your idea of a way to get the teacher to listen to you, then no. FWIW I learned to multiply and divide in first grade in Amherst, Mass. with a class full of people who could do the same and then moved to Charlotte NC in 2nd and we learned it again (basic facts we're talking) in 4th grade. I was bored stiff.

I really do think we're all talking about the same problem here (me, Geofizz, you, there are more.....): our children are in the top few % in their class. Children who are the bottom 5% of the class receive special services no problem. Why the heck does no one give MY kid special services? It's because she can pass the standardized test. What to do? I mean seriously you don't want to teach your kid to act out...that could backfire, it's also disrespectful, it goes against lots of what we've been working on behavior-wise. But then again if you don't your kid sits there, is bored and doesn't learn what they could.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll be doing if this year goes like last year (remember we've only had 7 days of school):
  • meet with the teachers (Erin has 2 for first grade).
  • if that gets me no place, meet with them again.
  • ask to meet with the guidance counselor/psychologist
  • and finally if I get no place ask to meet iwth the superintendent.
I think the key thing is to make sure you approach the people who are higher up as you want to be able to support the teacher so s/he can do her job. You're probably stuck with that teacher for the year.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#493 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 12:11 PM
bec

kerc - Thank you for your perspective. I'm not sure what to do at this point. But, I am thinking about it, and everyone's words of advice are helping me to sort my thoughts out. We are planning on escalating. The principal has been unreceptive, so we're going to have to move up to the superintendent. While I see your point about a letter seeming passive aggressive, I don't know that I agree. We have been telling her that if she has a problem in school, she should talk to her teacher, as well as us. This is just a written follow up to the oral requests she has already made to her teacher. Frankly, if the teacher views it as passive aggressive, I think I'm ok with that. If it serves as a springboard to let the teacher know where she's really at, then so much the better. We have been very careful with Emily to only be supportive and positive in regards to her teacher and school, while still listening to her concerns. It is clear to Emily that we are a team trying to get the best education for Emily. All of us working together. And, we have also made that point to the teacher. Our interactions with the teacher have all been very positive. She's in a tough position, and I get that. We are asking her to go way outside the kindergarten standards. In our minds, that is something the teacher should be taking up with the principal.

RR: I'm fighting a cold, and feel blechy. I may very well scrap the 4 mile run I have on the schedule today, in favor of resting up for the 12 that I am supposed to run tomorrow.

#494 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Gah. I had to call dh for a ride home 4m into my 20 because my IT band was really, really hurting - the knee this time more than the hip.

I've had a really good 18, so while I don't want to write off my 20 I'm still going to run the marathon even if I can't finish it, on the theory that undertrained is better than injured. But man, am I frustrated. If I'm really feeling strong next Sat. I think I'll try again with my dad along to bike with me. And then hopefully the tapering will give me a bit of a break.

I think half marathons are better suited to my abilities. Sigh.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#495 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Penelope I know you can do it!

My feet are killing me. I did 5 miles to a palace and back, with some wandering of the grounds and peeking in the windows while there. One of the decorative gardens was herbs and cabbage.

Then I came back and wandered the town shopping (or at least looking -- kerc has me pegged right). I just mapped the walking route I took. Add the run in, and I've traveled more than 10 miles by foot today. Much of it standing or walking on cobblestones.

None of the yarn was really all that good. The LYS here carried the very same stuff as was in the drugstore. It was either acrylic or scratchy wool. So I saved myself from trying to figure out where to store new yarn.

All the stores here are selling purple clothes only. That also kept me from buy anything... The $1.47 per euro exchange rate pretty much fixed every other temptation. I did get small gifts for the kids and chocolate for DH.
#496 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 01:35 PM

pain in the arch of my foot = plantas fasciitis? Anyone? I'm having some pain in the arch but not my heel and it had a sudden onset not a gradual.

rr: 4.75 miles with some hill repeats

be back for personals, sorry!
#497 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All the stores here are selling purple clothes only. That also kept me from buy anything... The $1.47 per euro exchange rate pretty much fixed every other temptation. I did get small gifts for the kids and chocolate for DH.
Thank you. And this made me laugh so hard. Purple! Clothes! Only! was the whole theme of dd's 2-3 year. Luckily "purple" included soft plum (ie, pinkish) all the way to maroon, with a heavy dose of grape. Purple shoes, socks, underpants, pants, shirts, sweaters, coats, hats mittens. From sandals to boots and back again.

Non-RR, in fact religion-related: I'm speaking at a church tomorrow on feminist theology, and the congregation is Not With Me on that, it seems. I'm hoping the general midwestern practice of politeness, esp. to women, overcomes the apparently deep-seated assumption that feminist= whatever caricature Rush is spouting these days. $150 is not feeling like enough right now for this gig.

#498 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Penelope, what about never uttering the word "feminism" or defining what you've been talking about through your sermon at the very end as feminism. I generally ascribe to the definition of "feminism is the radical notion that women are people."

Your DD and my SIL would get along great. My SIL will only wear deep purple. It's weird, I didn't even notice it until the 4th or 5th shop I went through where I kept thinking something along the lines of "that's a cute top. If only it weren't grape color."

Gah. Must work. I keep hitting my head against this data set. There's something really important in it, but I just don't know what it is. My other paper is just waiting on responses from two coauthors. One number from each of them and the paper is done.
#499 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

ashcav - could be PF, but I've also had that sudden pain thing that passes in a few days that I think is just a slight muscle strain. I tend to get it if I run too much on one side of the road (so listing to the right too much) or if I run a lot of speed work after not doing much for a while. Usually a couple days of stretching and avoiding speed does it for me.

Geo - How cool - an herb and cabbage garden!

bec - A couple things my littlest dd's school does that maybe would be suggestions for your dd. Better readers in kindy can do reading with the 1st graders (probably still not far enough for your dd, but they group the better kindy readers with the better 1st grade readers and there is a wide enough range that they get more out of it.) Also, my little dd is in 1st, and the teacher has the better readers do some tasks with the less able ones. For ex, they have this "Accelerated Reader" program where they read individual books at their level and then take a brief comprehension test on the computer for each one. For emerging readers like my dd, the questions are read to them (usually it's part of the computer program, and they put on headphones and listen) and she will have a more advanced reader read the questions to the emerging readers instead. Of course I think this has to be presented right to not foster competition and make the child who is being "helped" feel bad, but speaking as the mother of a child who gets to have a classmate read for her, she enjoys having her friend read with her and doesn't seem to have any negative association with it, so I think it can be mutually beneficial. Another thought I would have would be to only send her half a day if that's an option, and do a little bit of homeschooling for enrichment for her. That's pretty much what we did for kindy for Cath as we couldn't get anywhere with the school. I think there is such a wide variety of skill levels in kindy that it's much harder for the teachers than it is in the higher grades where its more common to have skill level groups for reading and math.

tjsmama - I agree with not sending the blog info yet. That would be too personal for me.

RR - I ran a local town's 5K this morning. My RP hasn't been running much, but as predicted, she smoked me at the end! I wasn't too unhappy, though, as I stayed under 9 min pace - 27:12 I think (haven't seen the official results yet.) It was a beautiful day to run at least.

NRR - getting in the shower now and then taking dd homecoming dress shopping! Hope we find something fun.
#500 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
All the stores here are selling purple clothes only. .
Oh, I so hear you. I am going to be ill from all this purple! Seriously! And paired with mustard yellow... :Puke

OK, thanks for the idea of just nursing a gel during the second half - I think I'm going to do that. I'm pretty sure that they provide sponges at the aid stations, and I could always wipe my hands off then if things get to sticky.

And Penelope, that's a bummer with your 20 miler, but 18 is still quite a distance, training-wise. I think you are taking the right approach - better a tad under-trained than to get all the training miles in and end up with an injury.

DrJen: Great result!! WTG!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#501 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OMG, this thread doesn't run... it bloody well flies!

To those of you with children who are far more accelerated than their grade level... that is so wonderful! But, I completely understand your frustration with the school system inability to deal with such wonderfully accelerated children.

As a 1st grade teacher, who has only worked in classrooms of primarily ELL (english language learners), my current class is 100% non-native English speakers, I must say I have never experienced the challenge (and excitement) of working with such a learner. Although working with students on the opposite side of that spectrum is a similar kind of challenge and I do have many students on that end.

Differentiation is the key in EVERY classroom, but it is also one the hardest tools to learn and most time-consuming with such large class sizes. Plus, many teacher training programs do not properly train teachers on differentiation and how to work with students on all sides of the learning spectrum.

Your children are very lucky to have their families be such advocates for them. And, perhaps, the pressure you put on the teachers and adminstrators will spark some much need professional development for ALL teacher to help these amazing little learners.

So, yesterday I was planning on running, but instead, I dropped $735 for a bicycle and car rack. Ds desperately wanted to go on a bicycle ride with me, so I forgoed my run. He just learned how to ride a 2-wheeler, which made my needing to buy a bicycle (and car rack) a necessity. But... I am feeling the guilt about spending the $$$.

RR: I haven't run since Monday! I am getting ready to go the gym now and will be doing my long run (12 miles) tomorrow. I don't plan on pushing it too much today with the long run looming tomorrow, but really feel like I should have at least 2 easy runs in for the week, kwim?

Anyway, I am going to a Stanford football game tonight with dp (a Stanford alumni), ds and one of my former 1st graders. It is a big family game night, in memory of Bill Walsh, with a great kid-friendly, pre-grame fan fest. Should be lots of fun!
#502 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Oh, I so hear you. I am going to be ill from all this purple! Seriously! And paired with mustard yellow...
There, too, eh? So what is that? I was starting to wonder if it was the official town color.

I wonder is proper Bavarian stock doesn't look ill when wearing purple and yellow? I certainly do. My skin takes on a greenish hue.

Making no progress on this paper...
#503 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 03:42 PM

oooooh yum, European chocolate!

penelope - I'm sorry to hear about your IT band problem, but I like your approach/attitude. FWIW, when I had ITBS, I couldn't get it to go away until I started setting the timer to stretch/foam roll every single 60-90 min. all day long if I was home.

drjen - great job on your 5k!

rr: 16 glorious miles. I thought many times of my dingo sisters and I think that's why it was such an awesome run. I thought of all the other dingos doing LRs this weekend. I was passed by a HUGE herd of cyclists (seriously, there were at least 75 of them) as I was running up a long, steady hill and thought of the dingos who would have no trouble keeping up with them - and none of them were toting kids, BTW. And I thought of my girl Plady who runs faster than cyclists up hills who probably would have been running out in front of them showing them the way.
#504 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
bec

Awesome run, CFG!!! I love it when a long run comes together!

Penelope - Definitely rest that IT band. I think the main difference between the 18 miler and the 20 miler is psychological. If you did the 18, you will be fine. No sense risking injury (or further injury)!

DrJen - I am thinking that having her go into the 1st for reading (and math, if I can swing it, but, then I question why she isn't just going into 1st for the full day at that point) is a good and reasonable option. Whether school agrees with me is another question. At our district, they only have one half day kindy class, and it is really for kids that aren't mature enough or ready for kindy. Emily would be furious with me if I changed her to half day at this point, especially to a half day program that was MORE relaxed. I, too, have thought it would be a good option for her, but not as it is currently set up.

#505 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM

drjen~Great race! That's an awesome pace!

mommajb~Yep, I've been following that case. Both because our national association has been sending out updates on it, and also because it's been covered closely by the Cincinnati newspaper, which I read online. I was a bit disappointed in the verdict, to be honest. While the optimist in me really thinks that the coach wasn't purposely trying to cause injury, he clearly was reckless about it. And I hate to say it, but this particular coach being made an example would have gone a LONG way toward easing up this whole stupid "no pain, no gain" mentality when it comes to football. Just one reason why DS is going to be strongly encouraged to pursue anything BUT football. And one reason I'm glad I'm not working and have to deal with that crap on a regular basis anymore, either. Sad to say that, as much as I wish a tragedy like this WOULD help bring ATCs into all the high schools, the reality is that it probably won't. I've seen it out here. A JV football player died here a couple of years ago from second impact syndrome, no ATC on site, and yet we still had major opposition from the department of education when trying to bring forth a licensure bill last year because they thought it was a step toward requiring an ATC in every school (it wasn't, although there really should be). Anyway...enough ramblings of a disenfranchised ATC.

penelope~ That stinks. I agree with the others. Undertrained is always better than injured. At least if you're undertrained, you'll still probably finish the race, even if it's not in the time you would like.

ashcav~Doesn't sound like PF to me. PF is typically very pinpoint right at the base of the heel (where it starts becoming the arch). I agree with drjen, it very well could be just some random arch pain/minor muscle strain type of thing. Take a day off if you can, ice it, etc. You can also try rolling a can or a tennis ball under your foot and see if that helps. Heck, you can even freeze a water bottle and roll that for double duty!

You guys should be proud of me...I haven't emailed the boy back yet. I was going to do it after my lab last night, but I was so burned out by that point that I decided to wait. I think I'll hold off on the blog linkage for now, although I might mention that I wrote a race report if he'd like to read it.

Volunteering was fun, as usual. And seriously, you cannot beat $50 off a race fee for next year!

And in related news, apparently 2 hours of squats while body marking plus 2 hours of standing and directing traffic on the bike course is not conducive to a nice long run. I set out for 8. Um, yeah. Not even close. I didn't even make it to 2 before I had decided that 8 wasn't happening. I pretty much walked all of mile 2 and then some, before managing to get a second wind to get myself home. Ugh. I ended up with 4.4 miles. I guess I'll have to try for 8 on Monday, with the stroller...

#506 of 793 Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Penelope - ugh, somehow I missed your run report. As disappointing as it is, I think you have the right idea that it's better to be a little undertrained than injured, but oy, that must be so frustrating.

bec - that's a bummer about the half day option. Around here most of the kids who choose half day are the higher acheiving ones. I'm still back and forth on whether I think grade skipping is a great idea - even though my dd did it. It helped the academics stuff, but I'll always wonder if some of her later school issues had to do with immaturity? I think being either in a completely self-paced system or being homeschooled might have been best for her - although finally, as a sophomore, she seems to be hitting her stride in school. I have to say it's much easier to have my little dd who is at or just a bit ahead of grade level! She fits well right into the standard curriculum, and thrives with this teacher who helps her focus to her strengths, but she sure doesn't need all the effort my oldest dd did. And oddly, even though my younger ds is really just as far ahead as my older dd was, his personality is so much less intense that he's had no major school issues, except for kindy, and he thrives at school.

Speaking of school issues - so yesterday Justin got a detention because he jumped up to try to touch the basketball net during gym class. Apparently trying to touch the net or hoop is an automatic 12 demerits, which is an automatic detention. I hate stupid rules.

RR - I know I already reported a race today, but wanted to report new shoes, too! My current Brooks Trance are at 285 miles, so I decided to get a new pair to have ready waiting in the wings so to speak. The newer Trance model is a little more cushiony and a little lighter, and they feel so lovely. I'm hoping to run on the long side tomorrow, and probably that's not the time to break out brand new shoes, but oh, I am dying to run in them!

NRR - we spent the afternoon shopping, and managed to come up with the whole homecoming outfit. Dress is black, a kind of filmy material, with a white under skirt that shows a couple inches at the bottom. The skirt has tiny white beading in a flower pattern, and the top has a v-neck with spaghetti straps. She looks stunning in it. She picked out reddish/burgundy-ish shoes, and dark red/silver necklace and earrings. Everything was on sale, too - didn't end up being the less than $40 we somehow managed to spend last year, but not terrible either.
I also hit VS and bought some new bras and undies. Between somehow losing, and wearing out, I was down to just 2 bras that fit, and one was almost falling apart. I love new underclothes for some reason! Dh and younger ds are playing video games and I'm waiting for them to finish up so I can show my purchases to dh . . .
#507 of 793 Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 AM

Mommajb - on the marathon decision! You'll do great!

Quote:
And I thought of my girl Plady who runs faster than cyclists up hills who probably would have been running out in front of them showing them the way.

Yeah. snort : That would not have been the Plady that was huffing and puffing and wishing she could just walk up this little rise yesterday but was too embarrassed to ask her RP with the double stroller to slow down.

So I'm going to add my $.02 of teacher complaints. Yesterday I took our kitten, Captain Huggyface, in to dd's class for show and tell. While dd was passing around the cat the teacher asked her, "Is Captain Huggypants a boy or a girl?... Oh, he must be a boy, I hope? With a name like Captain he must be a boy right?" SO I kind of choked out "Well, that isn't necessarily true..." But I really don't want to get into a confrontation right off the bat with this teacher (who I kind of felt like I already had after the form letter thing) so I didn't pursue the point any. But : Was she really saying that girls don't become Captains??? When she gave her schpiel on curriculum night about how she loves to make leprechaun traps at St. Patrick's Day and she has the kids write letters to Santa and : is all about imagination I was thinking, "Okay, if it helps get some lessons learned." But dude. If she's planning to teach dd that Santa is real but female Captains aren't. Whoa.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#508 of 793 Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
With a name like Captain he must be a boy right?" SO I kind of choked out "Well, that isn't necessarily true..."
Yeah, seriously! My SIL is a colonel! Tell her to stick that in her pipe and smoke it. Oh, wait, women can't smoke pipes, can they?

Well, I did my HM and survived! I'll write a nice RR later, when I have a moment alone.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#509 of 793 Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 AM

The race was awesome! I'll work on my report but in short it was really difficult terrain, extremely crowded and challenging. You had to do the first half in 2:30 to be allowed to continue and I just made the cut-off. I finished in 4:30 which is really slow, but at least I finished. DH did not make the cut-off, I totally kicked his butt!
#510 of 793 Old 09-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
The race was awesome! I'll work on my report but in short it was really difficult terrain, extremely crowded and challenging. You had to do the first half in 2:30 to be allowed to continue and I just made the cut-off. I finished in 4:30 which is really slow, but at least I finished. DH did not make the cut-off, I totally kicked his butt!
:

Mel - I wish I could bring her for show and tell! Looking forward to the RR later

Geo and Mel - So why the purple and yellow anyway? Just today's fashion or a special event?

Holland - Sorry, I hope my post didn't sound like teacher bashing, I really respect teachers because I can only imagine the kind of stamina one must have to keep a classroom full of children busy all day long.

Gaye - Yeah, I think he was following that 5 day rule about not calling right away. I honestly don't understand that whole thing, either you're interested or you're not right? And I'd want to get right on figuring out if I want to spend more time with someone I'm interested in, but then, I've never been that cool either

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page