September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaking of coffee, I mentioned to my mom that I really wanted a coffeemaker and she sent me a ... percolator!

Actually though, it makes really good coffee. And no waste (well, the grounds, but no filters). And it's fairly quick. It's a little bit of a pain to clean up, but no worse than a regular coffeepot I guess.

The only problem is there seems to be muddy coffee at the bottom. Is that normal? Or is that because the grounds are meant for a filter-type maker and are too small, going through the metal basket?

I can't afford a decent cappuccino type machine or even a Keurig one-cup style. But I do love a good cup of coffee. Where can I get Kona? Not that I can afford it, but if I get a job (and dh's goes through) I might splurge a little...

No FM yet today. Since it's not hot as blazes yet (only in the mid 70's and dry) I may do one midday before getting ds from preschool. Otherwise, no dice since dh won't be around today.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Nic, sometimes you can find cafeterias (stovetop coffee makers, where you put water in the bottom, grounds in the middle, heat it up, and then pour coffee out the top) pretty cheap. I love mine.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
But I do love a good cup of coffee. Where can I get Kona?
We usually get ours from here-the Kona peaberry is so smooth. My dh actually has a rule that I cannot open the package when it arrives at our door-he gets to do it with me when he gets home-it smells heavenly Yes we are neurotic
Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Wow, that really would be a splurge. But I bet it is absolutely worth it! I love the smell of fresh ground coffee...I'm sure that kind is even better!

Tried to get out for a run, but didn't make it before it was time to pick up ds.

When I am stressed, I tend to obsess about minutiae. Do y'all think it's insane to want to re-organize all my photo albums and make them look nice? They are all a mishmash, some falling apart. It's not like I"m doing that much right now...(although somehow I am always busy and never have time. )

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Yea its pricey- we don't get it too often-a few times a year we buy a few pounds at a time. It goes quickly

I am just so exhausted today. It took G 1.5 hours to fall asleep last night-then she slept for 2.5 hrs-then she was up from 11:20-2:30-then got up for the day at 6:15! Not screaming or anything-she just wouldn't settle back to sleep-I would nurse her she would doze off at times-I would go to lay her down and she would immediately pop up and sit up with her arms out to me-what is going on? She has been like this all week. Last night was the longest time she was up. All week whenever she wakes up during the night it has taken me around an hour to get her back down What is going on????? I never experienced her sleep issues with K. K had trouble getting down-but once down was down for the night. I don't know what else to try. The hard thing is that she is not nursing to sleep very much anymore-but she doesn't want to be held and walked and rocked after-she just screams and pushes me away-but if I try and put her down-she just plays and rolls around and won't settle-we go through this round and round until she is finally tired enough that she falls asleep nursing after the 10th attempt or so...it has been taking anywhere from 1- 2.5 hours to get her down lately and then she is unsettled all night long Help! Any experience with this? She doesn't cosleep anymore-we did it for the first 10 months and then she definitely wanted her own space. We try to bring her in bed with us when she doesn't fall back to sleep in her own bed but she usually screams or plays in our bed-she doesn't sleep...so that doesn't help.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM

p'seed ~ I feel your pain. My DD2 was always up for 1-2 hours in the middle of the night. She'd fall asleep, sleep for 4 or 5 hours, be awake for 1-2 hours, and then finally fall asleep for another 4 or so. It was nice that it was only 1x a night, but not nice because it lasted so long. And, to be honest, it didn't end until she weaned just after her 2nd birthday. And she still wakes most nights 1x and has a hard time getting back to sleep :. Wish I had more to offer than my commiseration though . You deserve fancy coffee for being up in the middle of the night .

I'm all cleared by the doctor now, ready to get my running mojo on (and my chowing down mojo OFF!)

I think DD2 is fighting off the flu ~ she's been alternating between feverish and fine since yesterday, with a slight cough, and some body aches. And she's not eating. Our town is an H1N1 hotspot right now, so I wouldn't be surprised.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

I have run twice so far this week! And I am signing up for my first race in at least a hundred years
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Hollysmom - Go you!

P'seed - Is she in a crib or something contained when she's not in bed with you? Would she be happy enough to just be in there and awake while you snooze or is she adamant that she has your full attention while she's not sleeping in the middle of the night? I pretty much chalk any weird behavior up to teething and generally it turns out to be right so maybe that's happening too? Not that it helps really when there's no obvious how-to-make-her-sleep plan to go with it. I wonder of BBM is lurking, she might have some ideas. But I agree with JayGee - more fancy coffee allowance for you!

Nic - Ahh, that mention of muddy coffee just brought back so many happy memories of awfully strong thick coffee dh and I had when we spent a few months touring around in our VW camper way back when. It makes me want to dig our percolator out of the camping gear and make a pot too!

Real - I hope the rest of this pregnancy is easier than the last one and even if it is, get yourself whatever toy you want when it's over!

I did my lower body weights today. Whew. So hard. I believe that one of these days it will get easier despite having no evidence to suggest it. But man. I feel winded just thinking about lunges and squats now.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
P'seed - Is she in a crib or something contained when she's not in bed with you? Would she be happy enough to just be in there and awake while you snooze or is she adamant that she has your full attention while she's not sleeping in the middle of the night? I pretty much chalk any weird behavior up to teething and generally it turns out to be right so maybe that's happening too? Not that it helps really when there's no obvious how-to-make-her-sleep plan to go with it. I wonder of BBM is lurking, she might have some ideas. But I agree with JayGee - more fancy coffee allowance for you!
She unfortunately needs my full attention. I can put her down in her crib but she just plays-she is picky though-I have been trying to let her do that but lay down on the floor next to her-she starts screaming-even if I talk to her and remind her that I am there. She wants me standing right there...I have even tried to sit in the rocking chair...she screams when I sit also...if dh goes in in the middle of the night -well, he will go in if he is still awake-he will just repeatedly keep laying her down if she is standing up and playing and rub her back. After the fourth time or so-she will lay down and whimper to him-but he will rub her back and she will fall asleep shortly after that. If I try that-she won't do it. I have only successfully gotten her to sleep by rubbing her back maybe twice in her life-but all indication is that she wants me to do this-she just doesn't let me...I keep thinking its teething-because when she wakes up -she is quite upset-not her usual-get in here with the boob cry-but I see no teeth and she is fine during the day and for her nap...sorry to be writing a book on this-I am just so tired. The fact that I can't transfer her to her crib is so rough-the second she hits the mattress she immediately wakes up screams and sits up with her arms out "mommy"...dd1 was so verbal already by this age that I could just ask her what is wrong and she would tell me. I tried that with G last night-she can say "teeth" sort of-but I think she was so tired and not completely with it that she wasn't understanding-or she was understanding but not willing to communicate?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM

real!!! You've been missed. Here's hoping things get better soon! Hey, if you're bored and have nothing better to do this afternoon, I'm going to be working a softball game at Standley Lake HS if you'd like to stop by and say hi!

bec~WOOHOO! You've trained for a marathon!!! WOOT!

hollysmom~ Hooray!

I got a brisk run in with a friend this morning, dropped DS off at school and need to get showered before I head off to the above-mentioned softball game, but I'm trying to get some loose ends tied up. The mediator call was not very productive. He pretty much agreed that the tax situation is screwed up but wasn't overly helpful with how to fix it. At least he didn't charge us for it (he initially was going to). We did, at least, find out that X is supposed to be paying for DS's preschool tuition, so !

rr~4 miles, with friend and strollers. My hip feels decent, but my hamstrings are shockingly sore. They usually are sore after track, but come on...I really didn't run hard enough yesterday for this!

eta: I my new iphone. Seriously. It rules.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
.if dh goes in in the middle of the night -well, he will go in if he is still awake-he will just repeatedly keep laying her down if she is standing up and playing and rub her back. After the fourth time or so-she will lay down and whimper to him-but he will rub her back and she will fall asleep shortly after that.
Maybe since that has worked he would be willing to wake up and do it too for a few nights in the hopes that she'll snap out of it? I know that having a dh wake up and do anything in the night can be fantasy parenting (I've certainly had limited luck) but it sounds like he's got something that works and she's amenable to it too. He doesn't do anything that would put him in physical danger if he was a little more tired than usual for a few days right?

Okay, I'm now going to go fold the laundry that has been sitting in the dryer since last Thursday. I can do it!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 PM

p'seed - that is so exhausting. I like plady's suggestion about having DH take over some, if he's willing, since he seems to have a magic touch.

Just in case anyone wants to come and do San Diego RnR next June , I have a $25 discount code that's good for the next 2 weeks. Makes it $70.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM

User Tag List