September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh darn, Geo. Rest and ice, rest and ice. And Motrin.

All this walking has tweaked my hip, somehow. It feels like it's being pinched at the top of my pelvis, toward the back. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm going to swim this morning, and then park myself in the hot tub with one of the jets aimed at the sore point. At least it will feel good. Good news is that my knee is totally pain free .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#62 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Geo, I hope your shoulder is feeling better quickly - be careful lifting giant kiddos while it is sore.

bec, I hope this is just a little blip for your dd and that extra attention isn't drawn to any tics at school.

JG, you are supposed to be recovering not discovering new sore spots! I hope it is just muscles being used in a good, but different, way. :

Linus fell asleep before dinner last night and slept through to morning. I guess that means his birthday was a good one. Ian is gone for a few days with a friend's family. I am sure I will miss him but I also need the space.

I had a horrible run this morning and cut it short. I didn't feel any better once I was home. (I expected to be kicking myself for giving in, thinking that I should have done more.) It was just hard, my stomach got upset, and I didn't have the energy. At least this means I am due a good run and I wasn't behind on my to-do list this morning. I am now but at 7 am it all looked good.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#63 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
bec

Oh, no, Geo! I'm sorry. I hope the soreness goes away soon, and it isn't a real injury (just some bumps).

Jen - Thank you so much for your perspective! While they really don't seem to correlate to any emotional state, I think they are a bit worse when she is aware of them. This is one of the reasons we've been trying to down play it as much as possible (while still trying to figure them out). School hasn't started yet, but talking to the teacher is a good idea. I guess I was hoping it would be resolved, one way or the other before this and I wouldn't have had to say anything. There has been no teasing over the summer (thankfully), but will alert the teacher, and keep a close eye on her (she's been pretty good about telling me if she's having a problem with another kid).

Gaye - Yeah for passing your test! I have NO idea about the math question though.

Off to run 6 with Sarah!

Edited to add: Katie's tic seems to be improving. The head movement has seemed to lessen in frequency, and the head movement itself is closer to one small jerk to the side (as opposed to 5-10 jerks). I will be sending my friend that worked on her a very nice bottle of wine if this continues to improve!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#64 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My shoulder is worse this morning. I tore the rotator cuff when I was in college, and I fear I re-injured it. At least I can still ride a bike. Putting clothes on over my head is out, though.
#65 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks, math people (geo)! I knew I recognized it but could not for the life of me remember what it was, and nothing I googled was turning it up. I think I knew how to do about half of the questions without looking anything up at all, so that's not *too* horrible, right? : Some of them I kind of knew, but just needed to double check. And about 4 or 5, I had no clue at all on. I actually got the absolute number question right by making a semi-educated guess.

Geo~Ugh. I'm sorry. Ice, rest, and I hope it gets better fast for you.

jaygee~I've had problems with walking, too. I haven't tried it in a long time, but I used to go on strollerwalks with my hiking group when DS was little, and trying to walk fast for longer than a mile or so just killed my hips. I could run with no pain, but walking was horrible. I haven't tried it recently to see if the PT stuff that cleared up my ITB might have cleared that up as well, but it's entirely possible that it's related to your ITB.

I'm tired. And there has been jackhammering going on outside my building for the past hour. : But, off to run with friends, then ditch DS on his father, make a meal for Amy's family, deliver it, and go to preschool orientation tonight. Oh, and probably shower somewhere in there too... :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#66 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Older dd's dean of students called back today and I told him about the bus driver. He sounded appropriately horrified, and will be taking it up with the bus company (who is an independent contractor) and will keep Catherine's name out of it. Phew.

I'm on call for my partner today and already have 2 admissions. Blech, not boding well for my 3 day call weekend coming up.
#67 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
bec

Glad the school is going to do something about the bus situation! Keep on it, though, or it could easily be swept under the rug as an uncomfortable thing to have to deal with.

A successful 6 miles! : Hot and sunnier than we planned, but that is what we get for running on an untested trail.

#68 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM

RR: quick post to report 5miles in 41 minutes this morning. be back for personals.
#69 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
RR: quick post to report 5miles in 41 minutes this morning. be back for personals.
You are one speedy dingo!

I have a reason to work on speed. I could get my morning workout done faster and sleep in a few more minutes.

#70 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
You are one speedy dingo!

I have a reason to work on speed. I could get my morning workout done faster and sleep in a few more minutes.
:
That and the faster you go, the sooner it's over, right?

I had a nice 5 miles with a friend this morning. And it was pretty quick, too! I like running with her, she always pushes me to go just the tiniest bit faster than I want to...not enough that I can't keep up, but harder than I would go by myself!

Manicotti is made, just a quick check in online, and then I need to shower and get my food delivery service on the road!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#71 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
:
That and the faster you go, the sooner it's over, right?
See? That's what I was thinking about the other day. Sure, the elites finish a marathon in just over 2 hours, but I'm going to be hauling my tail around for the better part of 5 hours! Which is the bigger accomplishment, I ask you?!

#72 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

DrJen - As always I'm so inspired by your ability to make time with your kiddos even when you have a serious personal time deficit happening.

I ran 3 this morning with the local Running Mamas. It was good and FAST! Whew, way faster than I normally go. I ended up having to walk run the last mile and was the last one home but they were nice and waited for me (only about 30 seconds really but still). Then my RP and I went for coffee and chitchat, then I hit the thrift store where I got a foam roller for $3!! Okay so I don't need a second one but still, for $3 I couldn't resist and this way I have one to share if anyone else needs it.
Last night's TKD class was very intense too, we started with 50 pushups! Oy yoi yoi, and it went on for an hour and a half from there. So now I'm feeling really wobbly and sore and I'm looking forward to nothing more than housework tomorrow!
Day 3 of Atkins, so far so good. I can't really tell if my energy is a little low because of that or because I've hit the new workout schedule so hard but I think by the time my next round of intense workouts comes up I'll be acclimated to the new fuel. ANyway, we'll see.

Ow Geo! Is ice and Vit I the way to go or do you need to have it checked out?

Okay, I'd better shower while I've got a sleeping preschooler or it won't happen until tomorrow!

ETA Bec - Totally! You're savoring the experience, they just rush right through it!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#73 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Bec~I totally agree. Running that many hours is HUGE in my book. Of course so is running that distance at 5 minutes a piece. Both are WOW!
#74 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Situation FUBAR. As in, the job we moved 1000 miles away for? Now in jeopardy due to budget cuts. :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#75 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Nic - NO EFFING WAY! :

#76 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Oh no, Nic! That really, really blows. : Here's hoping that the job stays! :

#77 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
bec

Oh no, Nic! All positive thoughts heading your way!

#78 of 793 Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Nic. That's so stressful.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#79 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Jen - Could you please put This race for me? I am running it as part of my 2nd 20 miler! And, it will be Sarah's 1st half marathon, so you could put that up for her, too!!!!

Penelope - I would be very interested in reading the running and feminism article!

Katie report - We went for a myofascial release session today. I think we have found the solution. I haven't seen any tics since leaving her house. I don't know if they are totally gone, but it seems to have really worked! I can't begin to express how relieved I am!
Thanks for including my race! I'm excited, but as you know, after last week's tough 12, I now have a voice of doubt sitting on my shoulder. This Sunday's 12 will give me much more confidence.

I am very surprised about the change in Katie's face. She's no longer scrunched up, like she's deep in conversation. Her entire face is relaxed. I need to get my child in for a release to try and tame her ADHD.
#80 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM

Oh no, Nic!
#81 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 AM

: Nic, this is a terrible thing to have to worry about!

bec, : for katie

plady, your will power and workout without carbs is amazing. :

I think I have a tendonitis issue in my elbow. I am in denial so I haven't had it checked out. I know what I do wrong in regards to carrying the boy while he sits on my forearm. This has aggravated it in the past as he spends quite a bit of time on my arm/hip and always on the right. Running is okay but a couple of lifts, including the one that lands Linus on the change table, really tweak it.

#82 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Good Morning!

Nic, oh no . Please keep us updated. I'm so sorry.

Bec, that is wonderful news about Katie's tic! Sounds like the release was really helpful. May it continue to dissipate until it's totally gone. You've been a patient and kind Mama .

mommajb ~ have you tried icing it? Maybe look up some "tennis elbow" stretches? Just thinking of the things I do when something is tweaked.

I've been eating really well all week and it shows, both in my mood and on the scale :. I had DH massage the heck out of my iliac crest area last night and then lay on a bag of ice for 30 minutes. Dare I say it feels pretty good this morning. I'm not going to risk a big walk today, so it's back to the YMCA pool for some more swimming. How many more days until I can run and bike again.......

Oh, and I'm wondering which Dingoes have added the Indy Mini to their 2010 race calendar already . As soon as I'm cleared to run again, I'll sign up.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#83 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM

morning.

Nic - sorry to hear about the job being up in the air!

Bec - is the release something that only gets done once, or does she go in for a series or something?

I couldn't find the time for my regularly scheduled workout yesterday, but I did go into Burlington and play bike polo. I've wanted to do it for a while now, but it's a 40 minute drive into the city, our summers are so busy, and it's intimidating to be the newbie that i haven't found time. But last night they did a ladies only night so I dragged DS with me and gave it a try. So glad i did. It was hard, but fun. I didn't suck quite as bad as I thought that I'd suck and it was great to meet some new people. I'm keen to go back and to also get up a group to play a little closer to home.

However, my body is a bit wrecked from all the bike riding. My poor arm that was traumatized last spring is hurting in three different places, so I scored an appt with my sports chiro guy this afternoon to help me work out the issues before our trip. Hoping to do my workout after my appt this afternoon, we'll see how it goes.
#84 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I still have another four months before I am cleared to run and walking is fine but getting a little boring. dh helped me pick out and buy my first new bike since I was six years old : I can't believe how good it feels to ride a bike that actually fits properly! I am working my way up to longer rides and hope to be going for a longish ride every day soon. The grocery store is about a 15km ride round trip so I might try that and just get a little at a time every day (as not much fits in my bike bags) instead of driving and doing one big shopping. As long as I stick with the list it shouldn't cost any more and I will feel a million times better.

My internet connection has been lousy all summer so I have some serious catching up to do on personals :
#85 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks mamas. This is truly the theater of the absurd, but I'm trying to just go with it. He is looking around again, and in the meantime trying to make other connections locally so we can at least stay for the school year. Meanwhile, it did give me the 'freedom' to switch ds into the Chabad preschool, because they participate in a state program in which the half day option is totally free. I am MUCH MUCH happier with this decision, don't know why I didn't do it in the first place. He visited today and they were making challah and he felt right at home. He'll start there Tuesday and I'll be doing a lot of volunteer work for the school because they're not charging us for an extra month (there's only a set number of paid state hours and if he starts now rather than October, he exceeds it). I'm also going to be teaching at their Hebrew school, which my dds will do as an after school thing, in exchange for tuition. So that's okay.

I don't know how I feel yet about things working out or not here. It's not 'home' yet, so although I'd really like the job security -- I also wouldn't mind going back toward 'home'. I guess it's just a wait-and-see at this point, and y'all will forgive me for the occasional and and : and

Anyway, did a fairly easy 3 miles this morning. Went out for 4 a couple days ago and got totally lost, so I ended up walking the last 1/2 mile or so home. It was still REALLY hot at 6:30PM, like in the high eighties, and I didn't really plan for it. Silly.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#86 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Nic, I'm so sorry. Did they give him any idea of when he would know for sure? The uncertainty is almost worse than whatever actually happens, sometimes.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#87 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
plady, your will power and workout without carbs is amazing. :

I think I have a tendonitis issue in my elbow. I am in denial so I haven't had it checked out. I know what I do wrong in regards to carrying the boy while he sits on my forearm. This has aggravated it in the past as he spends quite a bit of time on my arm/hip and always on the right. Running is okay but a couple of lifts, including the one that lands Linus on the change table, really tweak it.
Garsh thanks!
Could you somehow switch your holds for a while? I was having insane wrist pain from the way I was sleeping with Alison, and carrying her too I imagine and just getting her out of our bed for a few hours a night has made a big difference. Or maybe you could start using a sling to help support his weight? But I hear you on the denial, when I finally mentioned it to the doctor (who I'd gone to for something else) and he asked how long I'd had the pain I was really embarrassed to admit that it had been at least a year. : You know how we mamas are, everyone else first.

Nic - You are so calm! I'm glad you feel good about the school thing and that you managed to get a run in. I guess there's only so much you can do? But really, kudos for you for not having your head pop right off your neck!

JG - Yay for your eating! It is real motivation when you can feel the difference the right diet makes isn't it?

Mandy - That sounds so cool and as usual with you, totally hardcore. I hope you can start your own group closer to home.

Bec - That release thing sounds fascinating, was it a regular massage therapist?

Sarah - I bet your next 12 will be a lot easier than the last one. IME I found that bad runs were almost always followed by significantly better ones.

Geo - Any improvement on your shoulder?

DrJen - : for a call free weekend!

Shanti! : Good to see you back!

Last night I went to a "book club" meeting which was a nice dinner out and then to see Julie and Julia. It was really fun thought not much book clubiness but it was the first time I didn't still feel like the new girl in the group which was totally refreshing. I've been so impressed by how inclusive the women on the island have been to me but that sense of just being me and not 'that new person' was very welcome.

#88 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Okay, so, hey.

In my quest for self-improvement, I've decided that THIS is the month where I'm going to start identifying myself as a runner. Not just a mom who sometimes runs, not just a chick trying to lose a few pounds, or someone who escapes to the streets to get some peace, but a runner. Therefore, I thought I'd try my best to be a.... dingo? Really?

Anyway. Hey, I'm Abbey. I live in Massachusetts with my husband and our two kids. Heather is 5. Eric is 3 1/2. Heather starts kindergarten next Thursday. Last Tuesday she had major plastic surgery on her face. Eek. It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine..... right? Man, it's hard to send your kids out into the world.

Okay, that's my story for now. No races yet; I've only been back to running for a couple of months. I've considered entering a local 5K or something, but most of them only guarantee a tee shirt to the first whatever number of people who sign up. I'm not running a race unless someone gives me a tee shirt. Maybe next summer.
Hi Abbey,

I'm new here, too. I'm still struggling to identify myself as a runner. I feel like a big faker, and it's all going to come to an end soon. I don't feel like a runner, I feel like someone who's pretending to be a runner.

You should enter a 5k. I've only done two but I'm hooked, they are alot of fun and there is so much energy there.

Major plastic surgery? WOW! What a brave girl!

Nice to meet you.

Sarah
#89 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Welcome, Nemesis. I love love LOVE North Dakota. It's one of my most favorite states, third only to South Dakota and Arizona.
#90 of 793 Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Hey, pilotchick! Where are you from?

I'm pretty excited to start C25K on Monday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page