September Dingos, Run This Way! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is DS's first day of preschool! :

Luckily, I'm the parent helper, so I don't have to bawl like a baby when I drop him off.

And then tonight, X is supposed to come over to allegedly FINALLY do the talk about the finances. Sigh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Gaye that sounds like an incredibly full and emotionally rough day.

New runnign schedule established: it involves dd2 eating bfast in the jogger, think that's ok?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 PM

kerc, if meals in the stroller/trailer aren't ok, then sign me up as the world's worst parent. DS regularly eats breakfast in the Chariot (or the car, for that matter).

First day of preschool is in the books, and I am exhausted. Phew! And it was only half the class, I can't imagine what it's like when the full class is there! DS did great, although he got a little clingy a couple of times. I'm relatively certain that if I *hadn't* been there, he would have been totally fine. My favorite part of the day (and the only time I cried): During circle time, the teacher went around and asked each kid what makes them happy. DS said "mommy".

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM

Gaye, that sounds like a good first day of preschool. I hope this evening goes even better for you.

kerc, as long as his breakfast isn't your mid-run fuel I think it's fine.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Aw, man, I didn't mean to be THAT guy who comes barging in all like "hey, folks, let's fight about RELIGION!" Eek. Sorry; I just mentioned it as an incidental part of my day and not to spark a discussion or offend anyone. Sometimes I think before I speak. Or, in this case, blather on through typing.

Anyway, today was DD's first day of kindergarten. Yesterday I spent the day in a ridiculously angsty state, all like "OMG, what do we need to do for the first day of school? Out to dinner the night before? (yes) Special breakfast the morning of? (no) Should I plan some sort of special after-school treat? (no; we met my mom for our weekly lunch date, then had to rush to ballet) Is the camera charged? How much time do we need to get up and organized? Can I run in the morning? (yes) How many pictures should I take?" Argh, it was ridiculous. DD didn't care; she hopped out of bed, got dressed, posed for pictures, skipped to the bus stop and merrily embarked on independence without a backward glance.

Now it's 6:40 in the evening and the kids are grouchy, grouchy, grouchy. DD likes to sleep until 10:00 or so in the mornings; today I woke her up at 7:40. Perhaps she will actually go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight. DH can only hope.

One of my neighbors from the bus stop cornered me and asked if it was me she'd seen running. When I confirmed, she said she's been running, too, although much earlier than me. She put on the pressure for me to run the local 5K, as the proceeds are being used to build a new track here in town. I didn't explain to her my tee-shirt policy. If she talks to me more about it, I bet I'd let myself be peer-pressured into running. Eek.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM

LaLaLaLa, you did not start controversy. You are perfect. Religion or church or faith are often discussed here and it is not a problem. I like it. I did not want to say something sarcastic off the top of my head and offend people so I started controversy by stating that I wasn't going to do that. At least that is my own self-centered POV.

I say do the local races or volunteer at them. You will become a part of the local running community and have a running partner or a group to run with which is wonderful.

Good first days make the second day easier. She'll be tired but willing to return.

Lastly, your use rname is very hard for me to type one-handed.

RR: my garmin should be here tomorrow. :

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Half a run this morning (ran short on time before teaching). I really like running on the track, though--it's so cushy.

It is a little demoralizing getting passed by the same people over and over because I am so slow...but it's okay. They wave and smile and I feel supported by them even though I am the turtle. ha ha.

Gaye, I hope the finances conversation went well.

Lalala, I am dreading my little girl going off to school...and she just turned 3. I have two years yet! Anyway, I think it sounds like she had a great time, which means school is going to be great for her.

Kerc, my kids have eaten breakfast everywhere. I can't wait the 1.5 hours it takes them to decide to eat a banana before starting our day!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Very true; I didn't consider that when I chose it. Feel free to call me Abbey, if you'd like, since that's my real name and all. Or Ab, like my parents, or A, like my brother. All is good.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 AM

penelope - I'm so sorry you have to deal with your DH being like this. I hope he gets some much needed help soon.

lala - ya know, if you're anything like many of us, you'll become addicted to races and before you know it you'll have more t-shirts than you know what to do with. I think you should run the race anyway.

Why is it not ok to wear casual clothes to a wedding? Ugh. It's impossible to find a "little black dress" that fits me. Several parts of my body are just all out of proportion to other parts and therefore, I just cannot wear dresses. Yeah, I know I can wear a nice skirt/blouse or something, but I wanna wear a cute little dress. Or else jeans and a t-shirt.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
LaLaLaLa, you did not start controversy. You are perfect. Religion or church or faith are often discussed here and it is not a problem. I like it.
:

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb

academama~I typically get lapped many, many times during an average track workout, so don't feel bad! It's nice not being alone out there, at least!

And...commence freakout....NOW! Omgomgomgomgomgomg you guys. Um, the guy from this weekend found me on athlinks and sent me a message. And he signed up to do the race this weekend!!! And said maybe he would see me at packet pick-up tomorrow. Holy crap! I was hoping he would find me, and he did. I was thinking maybe he *might* show up for the race if he was interested, since he knew I was doing it. I never thought he would sign up for it! I just spent about 45 minutes agonizing over my return message, trying to find the right balance between interested but not crazy/desperate/etc. Packet pick-up is from 4-7 and I told him I'd probably be there around 6. Maybe we could go carb-load together afterwards.

Oh, and the financial discussion was kind of anti-climactic. We agreed that X needs to call the mediator on Monday because we paid him way too much money to be left with this much confusion on the money stuff. And X wants the surround sound system. Whatever. The thing that sucks is that it's almost 10 years old, so the replacement value is WAY higher than the actual value. Oh well. I'll still have the 55" tv. Oh, and : b/c this IS MDC after all, and half of you probably don't even OWN tvs.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

W00t, Gaye! That's super exciting!

Glad your X will call the mediator - it struck me as funny that you at least agree on one financial decision - dang mediator charged too much.

Grading practice essays, gonna run in half an hour...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Gaye!!!!

Upper body workout for me today.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Go Gaye!!!!! And about your TV comment (as DD is watching Backyardigans while I visit MDC !

Mamas, I'm very sad about something going on with DS. He's been best friends with a girl in our neighborhood since Kindergarten (now in 2nd grade). She practically lived at our house all summer. Well, last weekend she had a sleepover with another girl from the neighborhood and ever since then, the two of them have been inseparable (wearing BFF necklaces, holding hands, etc.) and DS's friend won't even give him the time of day. He's confused. Why do girls do this crap? I think it hurts me so much to see it because I was often the odd girl out growing up. I really need to separate my own angst over this from my DS's experience, but it's so hard. I just wish I could spare him .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm freaking out about my half tomorrow especially since rain is in the forecast, I hope it doesn't rain. I hope my calf is fine and my foot doesn't go numb. I'm going to be all over the place at work today I can tell.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I'm freaking out about my half tomorrow especially since rain is in the forecast, I hope it doesn't rain. I hope my calf is fine and my foot doesn't go numb. I'm going to be all over the place at work today I can tell.
Good luck tomorrow!! It's going to be fine - even if it rains, you'll manage. I also hope that you stay pain free and have a great hm!!

JG: oh, man, that is so rough. Poor guy. Girls can be soooo fickle, and I guess there's no telling how/why friendships develop. Are you friends with the girl's mom? I wonder if it might work to get them together for a playtime, just the 2 of them?

Wow, Gaye - that is so exciting!! hee hee! I can't wait to hear how things go!

Penelope: to your dh. Hang in there, and I hope he works this out soon.

cfg: time for a little retail therapy? I love some of the Title 9 stuff for a great mix of casual + pretty.

Quote:
RR: my garmin should be here tomorrow. :
Yay! And you are right - I am kind of single parenting for a few weeks at a stretch here. Chocolate helps a lot! And DH is arriving tomorrow! :

Lalalala: Cool! Do the 5k, t-shirt or no - that's my advice. It's so fun and nothing makes you feel like a 'real runner' more than hanging out with a bunch of runners at a race.

Mandy: Ouch! I hope that the canker sores subside really quickly. I wonder if the lysine will help if it's from a virus? I have no idea.

bec: You might be on to something there with the mileage and weight gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
New runnign schedule established: it involves dd2 eating bfast in the jogger, think that's ok?
Totally ok.

RR: 5 fast miles today! Only 1 long run and 3 or so medium/short runs left before the HM on the 20th. I just know that I'm not going to sleep the night before.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
And...commence freakout....NOW! Omgomgomgomgomgomg you guys. Um, the guy from this weekend found me on athlinks and sent me a message. And he signed up to do the race this weekend!!!
: and ! That'll spice up your ride! And hey! Maybe you guys will totally click and you'll mention to him that your friend wants you to shave your head in solidarity and he'll tell you he's always thought bald triathletes were the sexiest milfs around and suddenly it'll all fall into place.
Or else not. Obviously you'll keep us posted!

Ashcav - You'll be fine! You'll do great and have fun. Have you tried relacing your shoes for the numb foot thing?

Penelope - for you :fryingpan for your dh okay so :fryingpan's not an official smilie but you know what I mean

Abbey - Thanks, I'm making the switch because I couldn't get the right number of lalas in there before my fingers tripped.

CFG - There's got to be something that would work. Also, remember that however self-conscious you may be about being thin you appear to be the weight that most women are striving to be so pretty much anything you wear is going to look completely modelicious by anybody else's standards.

Okay aside from my TKD class in which I could barely do a single pushup let alone the 2 minutes worth I was supposed to do, I haven't done anything this week. I was supposed to swim on Wed and Thursday and both days forgot my suit/towel/etc. Then yesterday I was supposed to run but wore the wrong shoes and so I bailed when my RP forgot her stroller and we went for coffee instead. Today we are going to do 5 miles together, luckily she'll have the double stroller so I'll be able to keep up.
Anyway, I hear kids but please send me some Dingo Mojo because I seem to have misplaced my own. Thanks!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Maybe you guys will totally click and you'll mention to him that your friend wants you to shave your head in solidarity and he'll tell you he's always thought bald triathletes were the sexiest milfs around and suddenly it'll all fall into place.
Or else not. Obviously you'll keep us posted!
:

So, I woke up this morning before 8 am. On my own. COMPLETELY unheard of for me. My stomach is a big mess...the sad thing is that I don't know if it's race nerves or potential dating nerves or both. Probably both! I'm downright queasy!

It doesn't help that a cold front went through last night, and now the high temperature for tomorrow is 64 with storms possible. Because dealing with crappy weather for my olympic race last year wasn't bad enough. As long as the rain holds out, I'm ok with it, I think, but I'm probably going to freeze on the bike. :

Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM

Plady - you are too funny with that bald triathlete stuff! sending you some mojo...

Gaye - sending you some of this and : for the boy and a bit of for the tri. how exciting!

so, I feel so whiny - but yesterday was miserable. the pain in my mouth and throat was unbearable. I couldn't eat or drink anything and was just completely out of sorts. but it was my birthday and i had to go out and spend some time in the woods.

Even though i was starving (not having been able to eat much all day) I was actually having a pretty good ride. It was a beautiful evening, clear skies, awesome temperature, dry trails. I missed my racing singlespeed bike, but had fun with gears too.

At the end of the ride I felt a sharp pinch on my ankle, like i got a thorn caught or something. But it was a bee (probably a yellow jacket) stinging me. OUCH! And now my ankle and foot are completely swollen.

This morning I had my appointment with my sports chiro guy who worked on the shoulder neck injury from last weekend, the ongoing arm trauma, and iced the darn bee sting while I was getting my stim. They are so good to me there and I feel so much better now.

Headed up to the northeast kingdom with friends for our mountain bike weekend. I am going to take it super easy - 5 days until I leave for Colorado!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me whine this week. I promise not to be such a mess next week.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Why is it not ok to wear casual clothes to a wedding? Ugh. It's impossible to find a "little black dress" that fits me. Several parts of my body are just all out of proportion to other parts and therefore, I just cannot wear dresses. Yeah, I know I can wear a nice skirt/blouse or something, but I wanna wear a cute little dress. Or else jeans and a t-shirt.
Check out J. Jill. I have found super cute, very forgiving little dresses there. And they are usually having a clearance sale around this time of year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Mamas, I'm very sad about something going on with DS. He's been best friends with a girl in our neighborhood since Kindergarten (now in 2nd grade). She practically lived at our house all summer. Well, last weekend she had a sleepover with another girl from the neighborhood and ever since then, the two of them have been inseparable (wearing BFF necklaces, holding hands, etc.) and DS's friend won't even give him the time of day. He's confused. Why do girls do this crap? I think it hurts me so much to see it because I was often the odd girl out growing up. I really need to separate my own angst over this from my DS's experience, but it's so hard. I just wish I could spare him .
There's something about that age. We have a little girl across the street that has been best friends with my kids since toddlerhood. She went to a different school last year, but is going to Katie's school this year. After seeing someone she knew from her old school on the bus, she is suddenly not sitting with Katie at all. Katie has been sad about it. This friend is totally friendly with Katie when there aren't other kids around, but tends to ignore Katie when there are other kids.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
bec

Ugh, serial posting, because I got distracted.

I am thinking that I am going to try to get my extra Sunday mileage in before the half starts. I don't want to have to cross the finish line, only to have to head back out again. But this is going to put me getting up wicked early in the morning!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Skirt sports if having a 5 day give away to celebrate their 5th year!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Yes! I forgot to mention that here...there's some great stuff on there. Of course, if you all enter, that lowers my chances to win. : Sign up here.

The guy emailed...he's going to try to be at packet pick-up about the same time I told him I was probably going to go...

Nerves are NOT getting better!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ran 5. Still behind in marathon training, but keeping up with the long runs and doing as well as I can.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Ran 5 w/ RP. It sucked pretty bad, I just felt totally bonky. I guess it's probably Atkins related? I'm on day 11 and so far the scale hasn't budged though I feel a little trimmer. But I'm definitely : about the scale thing. I know I shouldn't even bother and just go by how my clothes fit but still, I'd like to trim down that BMI. And now it occurs to me that although in the past I had great results, I didn't do any cardio while I was on the diet, just weight training. Could it be that you can't do decent cardio without higher levels of carbs? I should probably go back to the book and reread the science of it all, that might help motivate me. But I do have an LBD that I'm aiming for for C"s birthday in a month (since one of the last occasions I wore it was her 1st birthday )

Mandy - When you're all better you have to have a do-over for your birthday. No fair to be too sick to eat and then get stung by a yellow jacket?? Sheesh!

Gaye - :

Bec - Jaygee - That sucks. That happened to me a lot as a kid (or at least that's how it felt) and it sucked. How to explain it as a parent? I don't know either.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the commiseration, Mamas . I'm probably projecting more onto DS than is really there.

cfg ~ would a padded bra help things fit better? I know that when I'm really thin, my boobs all but disappear and I can't wear anything that has fitting or darts or anything that expects me to have a bust without my good ol' padded bra :.

tjsmama ~ : Best of luck to you this weekend, on all fronts. I'm excited for your first 1/2 iron distance race and excited about the guy too! Do you have arm warmers for the bike if it gets chilly?

Plady ~ here's some running mojo

grnmtnmama ~ whine away, sister. I hope your mouth feels better in time for your weekend away.

DD2 is having an extensive conversation in the playroom right now between her Schleich horses, "I'm a boy horse, because boy horses have penises!"

Oh, and I have to add that DH's soccer team is now called "The IT Band" . He's such a goofball!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM
bec

Quote:
DD2 is having an extensive conversation in the playroom right now between her Schleich horses, "I'm a boy horse, because boy horses have penises!"

Oh, and I have to add that DH's soccer team is now called "The IT Band" . He's such a goofball!
Abby has recently had that conversation between her horses! It's hilarious.

Oh, and whenever I complain that my IT Band is hurting, DH will nod and say, "Oh, your nerd singers?"

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
And X wants the surround sound system. Whatever. The thing that sucks is that it's almost 10 years old, so the replacement value is WAY higher than the actual value. Oh well. I'll still have the 55" tv. Oh, and : b/c this IS MDC after all, and half of you probably don't even OWN tvs.
LOL.

and woot! About the potential dating scene.

Quote:
Can you call his friends' mom/dad? Just ask them to gently remind friend that ds is hurting as well? Have a playdate and invite her over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Anyway, I hear kids but please send me some Dingo Mojo because I seem to have misplaced my own. Thanks!
yeah, send some this way. please.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Aw, Mandy. I'm sorry you've had such a sucky week. Here's hoping things get better fast!!!

Jaygee, that's got to be tough. I can see that happening in a few years and it just makes me sad to think about. I almost cried yesterday when my best friend told me that her DD came out of preschool yesterday and wanted to change her dress, and when the nanny asked her why, it was because the girls at school didn't like it. I wish we could shield them from these hurts, especially when they're still so little!

As for me, I think I might throw up. Holy crap. I can't tell if it's the race or the boy situation or both. Probably both. Trying to remember to breathe...

Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Gaye - holy moly, what an exciting weekend! :

plady - thank you, you are so sweet. :

jaygee - I never leave the house w/o a padded bra. But maybe I can find one with even more padding so that the top part of an LBD isn't just empty and flopping open in the breeze like all the ones I tried on were.

: Here's some dingo mojo for all who need it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Cornflakegirl, have you tried a wrap dress? I find that they're really flattering and can be snug or loose as needed. I've got a black wrap dress from Target that I got for about $10 on clearance and I wear it a lot. Might not be exactly dressy enough to be a LBD but the style is very forgiving.

User Tag List