September Dingos, Run This Way! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Oh, right, I have no idea how to start the thread.

Eta: cribbing from Geo!

From Geofizz:

"Come one, come all, come join the Dingoes!

We are a group of women who are united in the desire for forward motion, and we support each other in our quest to find balance and reason in our lives.

There are no requirements for joining the thread besides a desire to move forward. So, if you're just starting the couch to 5k or training for an ultramarathon, you belong here!

We post fast (figure ~1000 posts per month), and it's great when you follow along and encourage others. If you fall behind, it's just like your training schedule: Hop right back in and continue on.

Below, I'll post a list of pregnant dingoes, our race list, and the links to the question: Why are we called the dingoes?

So, post your intro and your goals, and we'll welcome you and cheer you on!

Edit: Spelling in title changed to reflect group consensus, though not necessarily English-language norms.

Edit II: We are the dingo pack: a bunch of badass women jet-setting around the country, b!tch-slapping, giving props, and holding babies."

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM

subbing

RR: 6 miles at 8:34 on the TM, felt good.

DrJen~I leave for Kenya on the 26th of this month. Wow, it's really come up now!!
#3 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM

::::

Subbing

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#4 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM

subbing...

Geo, I'd address the recess issue. They won't know that the parents care if you don't tell them. JMO

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Here's the race list for the September thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

bec - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 4
CathToria - Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon - October 4
Penelope - Chicago Marathon - October 11
ashcav - Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women - October 12
1hautemama - Martin County Halloween Half Marathon - October 26
doctorjen - Canal Connection 10K - November 1
mommajb - Monumental Half Marathon - November 7
Ocean's Eve - 5K - November 21
Nickarolaberry - Women's Half Marathon - November 22
HomeBirthMommy - Atlanta Half Marathon - Novemeber 26
1hautemama - Marathon of the Palm Beaches - December 6
1hautemama - River Roots and Ruts Trail Half Marathon - January 3, 2010
Nickarolaberry - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 10, 2010
Love My Babies - Five Points of Life Half Marathon - February 14, 2010
The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - March 2010
VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#6 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

RR: 5 good miles on the treadmill this morning. Decided to sign up for my local half that's about 2 weeks prior to my marathon in October - I'd run 12 that week anyway, so 13.1 seems fine.

Super angry mama bear report: My ds wet his pants in kindergarten today; the school's response? To call me to fetch fresh pants. There are apparently no other options. A half hour away minutes before my afternoon class started, I made some frantic calls, found a friend to run some pants over, and sighed with relief. (My backup plan? To equip my awesome colleage with my garage door opener and have him run the 30 minutes to my house, have him root around for pants, and take them to the school.)

Tomorrow? Gonna send ds with pants, and hand-deliver a selection of gender-neutral clothes to the office, in case some other kid with a mama who can't leave her job wets his or her pants. : Nicely, of course, with my Ph.D. words, I'll explain that the policy might stand for some review.

Semi-RR: an essay I wrote about running and feminism for a friend's blog got picked up for reprint (with editing for length) by a small feminist magazine. I'm super happy. (If you want to read the longer blog version, send me a PM for the link.)

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#7 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey DrJen, update the pregnant dingos to get Lisa in there!

I've deployed other moms to deal with the recess issue. I'm using various methods learned from devious faculty.

Karen had a 100% clean bill of health from the dentist today. And a referral for orthodontia. Yuck. I think we'll be requesting way more than the minimum for healthcare FSA next year.
#8 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Super angry mama bear report: My ds wet his pants in kindergarten today; the school's response? To call me to fetch fresh pants. There are apparently no other options. A half hour away minutes before my afternoon class started, I made some frantic calls, found a friend to run some pants over, and sighed with relief. (My backup plan? To equip my awesome colleage with my garage door opener and have him run the 30 minutes to my house, have him root around for pants, and take them to the school.)

Tomorrow? Gonna send ds with pants, and hand-deliver a selection of gender-neutral clothes to the office, in case some other kid with a mama who can't leave her job wets his or her pants. : Nicely, of course, with my Ph.D. words, I'll explain that the policy might stand for some review.
Totally been there. Our nurse's office has a limited number of things on hand, and when they run out, they call mom to run over clean clothes (NEVER dad, though). I've also taken a similar approach to things with the school I don't like. "This doesn't work for me, what can I do to help?" Write the name of the school in sharpie in the tag so stuff gets returned.

And yes, DD always travels with pants and underwear in her backpack.

I took the same approach very successfully last year in response to candy rewards handed out in the classroom. I bought 10000 junky things from Oriental Trading Co, and the teacher is still working through them -- pencils, stickers, temp tattoos, erasers, etc.

RR: I logged the most miles for August so far this year. I don't think I can top it for Sept given my two week trip to Germany. I'm going to try to get at least close!
#9 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM

plady - the flu is going around pretty good here in OK , speaking of which I got home from my trek to the girls' dance class to find I had a 101 temp, I've been coughing and had a sore throat but looks like its more than allergies, wishing I hadn't taken them to class now, there's a few babes we came in contact with, I sure hope I didn't pass them anything

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#10 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM

:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#11 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
bec

Jen - Could you please put This race for me? I am running it as part of my 2nd 20 miler! And, it will be Sarah's 1st half marathon, so you could put that up for her, too!!!!

Penelope - I would be very interested in reading the running and feminism article!

Katie report - We went for a myofascial release session today. I think we have found the solution. I haven't seen any tics since leaving her house. I don't know if they are totally gone, but it seems to have really worked! I can't begin to express how relieved I am!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#12 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Katie report - We went for a myofascial release session today. I think we have found the solution. I haven't seen any tics since leaving her house. I don't know if they are totally gone, but it seems to have really worked! I can't begin to express how relieved I am!
:

: that the tics stay away

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#13 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Penelope - I enjoyed your blog post. The last thing I read about running and feminism was "Am I Thin Enough Yet" and it was discouraging (so I didn't finish it. . So much of what you said about teaching my daughters (and sons) to enjoy their strong bodies rather than exercise to control their image resonated with me.

On a mildly related note... I enjoyed running faster and faster this summer and even impressed myself with some of my times. On my one group run I slowed down somewhat and was astonished at how easy it was to keep going. I really, really enjoyed the long slow run.

#14 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
bec

Well, we have gone through dinner, and while she did have some tics, they have been much less frequent, and much milder. So, my hopes are up.

Penelope - I loved that article.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#15 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone on the dry pants front. That's what the outside pocket (aka "The secret pocket") on the LLBean backpack is for.

Geofizz + Penelope way to put those graduate degrees/work experience to work on the school front. I star dad's cell phone number on the emergency call slip (and highlight and even mention repeated times that DAD WORKS FROM HOME (even if he's not). It appears to work thus far.

Classes start tomorrow, I haven't copied my syllabi yet. I guess I should get on printing them out huh?

No exercise to speak of today -- stubbed one toe yesterday and have a killer sandal related blister on my other foot.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#16 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM

I am going to start a Dingo advice file. Y'all are such smart women.

DD's teacher did tell us at orientation that she didn't want clothes left there (i.e. it's January, kid needs a change of clothes and what's there is still the shorts and t-shirt sent in August), so DD has a ziploc bag with a complete change of clothes that stays permanently in her backpack. And, it's not just for wetting pants... you could need a change for many other reasons including vomiting or just spilling something all over yourself. But since DD tends to delay going to the bathroom until the last nanosecond, she has a change of clothes anywhere she spends any time.

Bec, that's great news about Katie!

Must. put. down. computer. and. go. to. bed. NOW.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#17 of 793 Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 PM

penelope - I'd love to read it!

bec - that sounds very promising! :

I'm glad to hear that there's not a physical reason that kids need a ped. dentist. We love ours and all, but he charges about 25-30% more for most things than our family dentist does. Unfortunately, the dinglets seem to have inherited my teeth -cavity prone and refusing to fall out on their own.
#18 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 AM

Okay, so, hey.

I popped in a month or so ago to ask about MBT shoes. I bought them; they're awesome; it's possible it's a total placebo effect, but I'll take it. They make me taller.

In my quest for self-improvement, I've decided that THIS is the month where I'm going to start identifying myself as a runner. Not just a mom who sometimes runs, not just a chick trying to lose a few pounds, or someone who escapes to the streets to get some peace, but a runner. Therefore, I thought I'd try my best to be a.... dingo? Really?

Anyway. Hey, I'm Abbey. I live in Massachusetts with my husband and our two kids. Heather is 5. Eric is 3 1/2. Heather starts kindergarten next Thursday. Last Tuesday she had major plastic surgery on her face. Eek. It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine..... right? Man, it's hard to send your kids out into the world.

Okay, that's my story for now. No races yet; I've only been back to running for a couple of months. I've considered entering a local 5K or something, but most of them only guarantee a tee shirt to the first whatever number of people who sign up. I'm not running a race unless someone gives me a tee shirt. Maybe next summer.
#19 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Penelope, I added your race.

bec, you were already on for that race - but I added pilotchick

LaLaLaLa - I hear you on wanting the t-shirt, but getting your name on the dingo race list is a nice consolation prize! Welcome!

On schools and clean clothes. It also makes me nuts that even though everyone in town knows what I do for a living, the school always calls my home number in the middle of the day. I mean, I'm probably one of the most reachable people in town and they still can't figure it out. It's much better with my older kids, cause they can call me themselves. Catherine used to carry clean clothes with her everywhere, but I hadn't even though to do so for Caroline because I can't remember the last time she needed a change of clothes. Maybe I need to do something? But, I am right in town, and also her daycare provider is always available.

I ran 3 days in a row! I'm on a mission to run when I have the chance, instead of not feeling like it and skipping a day, and then the next day someone's in labor and I really don't have the chance!

My crazy younger ds makes me a little nuts sometimes. I'd been thinking he's seemed so grown up lately, and so mature, and he's been doing so well this school year so far. That tonight he took a bath and sprayed out almost my whole can of shaving cream in my bath tub, and left it all over the place. I went in the bathroom for something and there's shaving cream all over my bathtub. The kid is 12 for pete's sake! :
#20 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Welcome back, lalala! I *totally* hear you on the t-shirt. I pretty much refuse to race unless I get a shirt or something else good. What's worse is that I've become a snob, and now I only want to do races that give you tech t's. :

So, um, yeah. I pretty much got nothing productive accomplished school-wise today. Sigh. I was really tired this afternoon, so I took a nap. Then I realized that I really needed to do something with the peaches I bought last week before they go bad, so I made jam. And now it's 11 pm and I have to be up in 6 hours for track. Blech. The good thing is that the first unit for my A&P class is a review of the first chapter of the book, which we covered in A&P I. So that should be pretty easy, at least. I'm just dreading that stupid pretest for stats. Must get done tomorrow.

Anybody got a good idea for a quick/easy/somewhat healthy/cheap side to go with manicotti? I'm taking dinner to Amy and her family on Thursday and she requested manicotti. I usually take some frozen garlic bread to go with it, but I don't have an inch of spare room in my freezer right now and I don't think I'll have time to pick some up at the last minute on Thursday. Then I wanted to make a loaf of bread. And then I thought, "are you out of your flipping mind? you don't have time for that!" I hate to resort to a bag of salad...

Ok, really need to go to bed now. Track is going to be here entirely too quickly in the morning!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#21 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 AM

Penelope: I'd love to read the article, too.

Geo: For a 15 minute recess, it's even worth it if it takes them 5 min. to get to the play area. I believe the main thing is getting them out of their classroom and outdoors. But I hear you on choosing the more crucial battle to fight - man, where's another concerned mom/dad when you need one?

bec: : for Katie!

Sarah!

Gaye: How about a small salad prepared in advance - like a cucumber salad? Takes up only a little fridge space and pretty easy to make.

RR: 3 quick miles yesterday. Trying to figure out what to do here for my next run, which is supposed to be 5. I could skip it (make today a rest day) and do my next LR tomorrow. We will be visiting family from Thurs - Sunday, and if I don't squeeze that LR in before we leave, it won't get done. I think I could manage to make up that shorter run, though, so that really speaks for switching them around this week. I think I'll do it.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#22 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 06:26 AM

Welcome back LaLaLaLa.

tjsmama, I say bagged salad or a chocolate dessert.

drjen, I am glad other people's mature 12 yo ds do odd things too. We haven't had shaving cream all over the place yet but that may be because we shave with hair conditioner. Great job on the runs.

Mel, it sounds like you have a plan for the long run. They are hard to fit in on a weekday aren't they?

#23 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Wow, that one arm pit hair really needed some shaving cream to make it smooth.

I outright don't give a cellphone number to the schools, and I also mark dad as "call first." It's never worked. I will often sit there on the phone with the person and say, oh, my husband's not at home? To which they admit they hadn't yet called. "But your son is sick" is somehow the excuse. Like dad can't hold a 101 fever all afternoon?

This evidently isn't a new problem. I came down with a 102 F fever in 7th grade (and ended up the sickest I've ever been -- I was out more than a week). The school couldn't reach my mom at work, so they called our emergency contact people so as not to "disrupt dad at work." The emergency contact person said I didn't sound that sick, and I should walk home. It took me an hour to walk the mile. My mom was so pissed.
#24 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM

Geo~:::: That is soooooo funny about the armpit hair!!!

Jaygee~thank you for mailing the socks, I'll let you know when they arrive. You are a huge help! Also, I know you've heard me say this before, but 4GRAMS of fish oil really helped my rage during my cycle.

RR: 6 miles on the TM, 4 at 7:12 pace. After running that, the cool down felt slow and easy.

I"ve been up since 4:30am thinking about my to do list and other things. I was able to get up at 5ish to make muffins when I found that I had left croisants in the oven from dinner, then check email, run my m ileage, and now off to shower.

to everyone!
#25 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM

subbing

Lalala I hope you can find a race with a shirt b/c it really is such a great motivator and will REALLY make you feel like a runner!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#26 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to motivate ds to use the bathroom at school. He's currently obsessed with those Lego toys called Bionicles - maybe I can pay him $3 a week to use the toilet at school? :

Gaye, bread is not hard. You just need to be at home while it's rising and baking. Here's my recipe:

1 c. warm water
1/2 T yeast (or one package)
1 T sugar
2.5-3 c. flour (I like 1 c ww, 1.5 c white)
2 T oil
1 tsp salt.

Mix yeast, sugar, and water, and watch for yeast growth (one minute or so.) Add flour, oil, and salt; mix well/knead until dough is smooth, not sticky. Let rise until doubled (usually 30 minutes in a warm kitchen.) Knead into a loaf shape, place on greased cookie sheet, let rise 30 more minutes. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350. (Bottom of the bread should be baked and bread should sound hollow when tapped gently.)

We do bread several times a week, and then make croutons or French toast with the inevitable leftovers.

#27 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Wow, that one arm pit hair really needed some shaving cream to make it smooth.

I outright don't give a cellphone number to the schools, and I also mark dad as "call first." It's never worked. I will often sit there on the phone with the person and say, oh, my husband's not at home? To which they admit they hadn't yet called. "But your son is sick" is somehow the excuse. Like dad can't hold a 101 fever all afternoon?
Yeah, my kid is sick. WHich is why you should call his DAD, who is closer to the school physically and will actually be home with the kid. URGH. It is sometimes disgusting how little respect dads get when it comes to taking care of children.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#28 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Gaye, I was going to suggest salad too, and dessert :. Please pass on all the Dingo well-wishes to Amy when you see her.

about the shaving cream and the armpit hair! Although that sounds like a real mess, DrJen.

RM, I didn't make it to the post office yesterday, but your package of socks is in my bag, ready to go this morning. The socks are big, but I just roll the top over once so they don't cover my knees. So what if the heel on my ankle instead .

Lalala ~ hope you can find a race. Check your local YMCA. Most have 5Ks in the fall, with shirts .

Our van is still at the body shop, so DD and I will walk with the jogger to pick up DH's truck on campus (4 miles or so) and then go to the YMCA so I can lift weights and register for my intro to yoga class . Would you believe that I've walked 20 miles since last Thursday . I'm actually sore from all that walking, and pushing DD up all the Bloomington hills.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#29 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM

our school and (daycare before that) has gotten good about calling dad if someone needs to get K. they seem to have grokked that he works one block away and doesn't travel all the time like i do. however, if something just needs a discussion they'll track me down. it works. having DH do the majority of the dropoffs has helped i think.

planning an afternoon 1.5 hour ride today, time to get cranking if i'm going to be productive.
#30 of 793 Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 AM

DH does dropoffs for us too, I do think that has also helped us.

I haven't run in a week, I am feeling so cranky!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page