Sept. Yoga Mamas - Saluting the Sun - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 51 Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

I've been MIA since a few months; basically ever since the summer break as with 2 kids at home I was very busy and didn't have as much time for myself as I'd liked. LOL
My youngest just now started pre-school, so I finally have some real 'free time' for myself which I love using for yoga as well as for my walks with Leslie Sansone (my other 'passion' besides yoga ;-) ).

So far I've mainly done 20-30 min yoga daily for relaxation after my in-home-walks. I love the podcasts from yogadownload.com as well as the DVDs from Yogajournal with Jason Crandell ('Yoga for Morning, Noon & Night' & 'Yoga for well-being; restful sleep, greater energy, mental clarity'). Other than those I also use some of the Yoga Zone DVDs/VHS and for more of a workout Bryan Kest's 'power yoga' DVDs.

I'm currently looking to buy a new yoga mat as my old one is.., well, old *lol* and after my 2 cats attacked it quite a few times (they seem to think it's a wonderful scratch mat *grrr*) it just looks a bit ratty...
Does anyone have a good recommendation where I could get a great sticky mat for not too much $$$? I've looked at Amazon and Gaiam but the prices as well as the reviews vary... I'd like to stay in the price range of 20-25$ for a mat and hope there's something out there that is still of a good quality???
I'd be very thankful for any hints!!!

Thank you and namaste!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymamajoy View Post
I just found the family and parenting section of yogajournal.com. How did I not know it was there?

AF arrived this morning, so I'm taking the day off from the mat and thinking about what I want for the upcoming month.

I didn't know they had a section for family & parenting! I'll have to look for it! Thank you for letting us know!

#33 of 51 Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 PM

hey everyone - it's been ages and ages since i posted on this thread. probably since i was was pg with E, who is now 16 months. i'm finally feeling like i'm coming out of the fog of adjusting to a new member of the family and getting into a better groove that allows for more yoga time. so i thought this thread might help inspire me there.

i totally know what you all mean about having a hard time finding that 'me' time that you need. it's particularly hard for me because where i live i'm really the only yoga teacher for lke 45 minutes in every direction, so it is really hard for me to take a class with another teacher. thus i've mostly been on my own, and have had periods where my practice has stagnated a bit. but i had a massive infusion of inspiration this year as i completed a therapeutic yoga training which has really changed a lot about the way i teach and the way i approach my own practice. it has truly been life-changing. and i'm doing a lot more private, one-on-one teaching now, which i am really loving, in addition to my 3 classes a week at the wellness center. i had a 4th class over the summer, actually 5, as i taught two kids yoga classes while the kids were out on break for the summer. soooo much fun, kids are such natural yogis, and my older two got to take one of the classes, which was neat.

October i'm starting to teach a yoga for core strength and stability class, which i'm really excited about. after baby #3 my rectus abdominus is giving me some trouble coming back together right at my belly button where i had an umbilical hernia at birth, so i'm hoping that bringing lots of breath and energy and awareness to my core will assist my healing process. and my students really all need core strength, so i think it's going to be good all around.

zoebird, like you, i've been having ankle/knee issues too. i've mostly been able to keep on top of it, and a friend of mine who does energy work and massage and other body work has helped a lot but she's hard to pin down between her busy schedule and mine. so i'm just trying to be mindful of it, today i went for a hike/walking meditation in our woods and it was the first hike i've had that didn't result in a painful ankle, so definite progress being made.
#34 of 51 Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

so, the first day of work went well.

my class had two students who will be returning and hawk *loved* the child care. the only problem was--as it always has been--that the child care workers were about 5 mintues late. they are supposed to be there by 9 and my clas starts at 9, so i asked them to please come at about 5 til so that i can walk over and get set up for my class. they agreed, but we'll see how it goes.

it's really nice to teach.
#35 of 51 Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation where I could get a great sticky mat for not too much $$$? I've looked at Amazon and Gaiam but the prices as well as the reviews vary... I'd like to stay in the price range of 20-25$ for a mat and hope there's something out there that is still of a good quality???
My yoga mat is from Target and I like it very much. I have a mat bag that encases it completely to protect if from my pets!

When I order props for my students, I use yogadirect.com. I've never ordered mats from them (too personal) but I like all the other props I've gotten there.

The big difference in yoga mats is thickness. The thicker the mat, the more expensive. However, thicker doesn't mean better. It depends on what kind of surface you practice on and what is going on with your body.

For people who are prone to wrist problems and do lots of poses that put pressure on the wrist (down dog, chataranga, etc) too much cushion causes the wrist to hyperextend and can make problems worse. When you put pressure on on wrist on a flat surface, the hand and forearm make a 90 degree angle. If you do it on a cushioned surface the wrist can sink in and the fingers come up slightly, and for some people the extra bend is enough to cause problems. The short version is -- if you have wrist problems OR practice on a carpet, a thin mat is better.

but everything has pros and consĀ  shrug.gif

#36 of 51 Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM

squishy sticky mats can also make it harder to do standing balance poses. but the exception to the problem of thick mats is a black mat (like a manduca). while they are *very* thick compared to the average mat, they are not squishy at all - quite firm. they are much more comfortable for knees and heads. i have abused the heck out of mine for going on 5 years now, and when i wipe it down it looks brand new. and that was after shredding a regular sticky mat about once a year prior to that. on the rare occasion when i forget my black mat at home and have to use a regular sticky mat someplace, my knees always hurt if we do a lot on hands and knees. i totally <3 my black mat. it is heavy, though, so if you walk a long distance to get to class or ride a bike, it might be cumbersome. and it doesn't fit in regular sized mat bags, i had to make myself one to fit it.
#37 of 51 Old 09-25-2009, 04:17 PM

My class this morning was wonderful. I love watching students change and relax during a class. Teaching yoga is definitely what I want to do.

The teacher that I subbed for is running a retreat in 2 weeks that I'm going to try to attend. Its only 5 hours (with driving I'll probably be gone for 6) so it shouldn't be too hard on my nursling. (He does take a bottle, but he doesn't like it).

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#38 of 51 Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

if you're not looking for eco-friendly, my favorite mat is. . .

the german sticky mat from yogapro.com. i believe it costs under $30 and it keeps up under heavy use for years. it also works great in hot vinyasa yoga classes where one sweats profusely.

if eco-friendly is important to you, then the jade harmony mat is a great option. it is more expenseive (around $50 or so), but it also holds up well. one of my clients bought his back in 2005, i think, and it still looks brand new. another firend gave me his 'old' one (he didn't like the thickness and so he ordered the thicker jade harmony mat), it was a year old, and that was 3 or so years ago. it still looks brand new.

so, it works very well, too. good luck finding a mat.

funky: teaching is great. i love it. my new friday class went great too. had two students for that first day. not bad! the only issue is that the child care workers were late, so my class started 10 mintues late! i spoke to them kindly about it, and then followed up with management. need to CYA at the gym, yk?
#39 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
My yoga mat is from Target and I like it very much. I have a mat bag that encases it completely to protect if from my pets!

When I order props for my students, I use yogadirect.com. I've never ordered mats from them (too personal) but I like all the other props I've gotten there.

The big difference in yoga mats is thickness. The thicker the mat, the more expensive. However, thicker doesn't mean better. It depends on what kind of surface you practice on and what is going on with your body.

For people who are prone to wrist problems and do lots of poses that put pressure on the wrist (down dog, chataranga, etc) too much cushion causes the wrist to hyperextend and can make problems worse. When you put pressure on on wrist on a flat surface, the hand and forearm make a 90 degree angle. If you do it on a cushioned surface the wrist can sink in and the fingers come up slightly, and for some people the extra bend is enough to cause problems. The short version is -- if you have wrist problems OR practice on a carpet, a thin mat is better.
Thank you so much for that explanation!!! I wouldn't have known that at all and thought the exact opposite! Since I do have weak wrists and quickly prone to probs, this info is very helpful!

#40 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
squishy sticky mats can also make it harder to do standing balance poses. but the exception to the problem of thick mats is a black mat (like a manduca). while they are *very* thick compared to the average mat, they are not squishy at all - quite firm. they are much more comfortable for knees and heads. i have abused the heck out of mine for going on 5 years now, and when i wipe it down it looks brand new. and that was after shredding a regular sticky mat about once a year prior to that. on the rare occasion when i forget my black mat at home and have to use a regular sticky mat someplace, my knees always hurt if we do a lot on hands and knees. i totally <3 my black mat. it is heavy, though, so if you walk a long distance to get to class or ride a bike, it might be cumbersome. and it doesn't fit in regular sized mat bags, i had to make myself one to fit it.
Good to know! Though that brand is probably already a bit more than I'm able/willing to pay?

#41 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
if you're not looking for eco-friendly, my favorite mat is. . .

the german sticky mat from yogapro.com. i believe it costs under $30 and it keeps up under heavy use for years.
it also works great in hot vinyasa yoga classes where one sweats profusely.

if eco-friendly is important to you, then the jade harmony mat is a great option. it is more expenseive (around $50 or so), but it also holds up well. one of my clients bought his back in 2005, i think, and it still looks brand new. another firend gave me his 'old' one (he didn't like the thickness and so he ordered the thicker jade harmony mat), it was a year old, and that was 3 or so years ago. it still looks brand new.

so, it works very well, too. good luck finding a mat.
Thank you! I'll have to check it out!
I'd love to go eco friendly but unfortunately I'm also a tad limited on the price; especially since my old mat does 'technically' still work well and nobody but me sees it really since I'm only practicing at home.. so getting a new one right now is more of a 'luxury' where I can't afford big $$$
Maybe since I am German I should get a German mat?

#42 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

it's a good mat. i also recycle mine into things like "padding under the flowerpots" and non-skid mats for outside the shower, etc.
#43 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM

some animal shelters will take old yoga mats to use in cages, a studio i used to work for did big donation with their used yoga mats every year to a shelter. and i use my old ones as camping pads for under the kids sleeping bags. i also have a couple of old ones that are in decent shape that i let the kids have, so they have their own mats when we practice at home. and i don't care if they drag them outside or spill stuff on them or whatever, since they're old. a good spray off with the hose and they're fine and when i used to teach classes in random places where students had to bring their own mats (like an art gallery, and a back room of a restaurant on the day they were closed) i always brought along a couple of extras with me in case someone new showed up and didn't have one. old yoga mats have lots of uses

i've been listening to the audio book version of Autobiography of a Yogi. Anyone else read it? His is a kriya yoga practice. but i am really enjoying it. so inspiring! and Ben Kingsley is the narrated, so it's an excellent listen. it has inspired me to meditate more.

i've also been exploring more yoga nidra, as i met a really inspiring practitioner in my therapeutic training, and got to do an amazing yoga nidra with her. i bought one of her CD's and have been doing that. i would love to learn enough to feel confident teaching it, it is totally my k3inda thi3ng.33 (baby helping me type >) anyone have a regular yoga nidra practice and want to discuss?
#44 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I've read autobiography of a yogi! It's interesting. I really like the Heart of Yoga.

I practice yoga nidra, but not regularly. I find it difficult to make a regular part of my personal practice. When I teach, I do yoga nidra every few weeks with my students, but not at every practice. My classes are 1 hour 15 minutes, and the first part is always vigerous vinyassa, but I rotate the last 20-30 minutes to either yin, restorative, or yoga nidra.

What I find easier to include in my personal practice is mudras with visualizations.

but everything has pros and consĀ  shrug.gif

#45 of 51 Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM

oh, yes, Heart of Yoga. I haven't read that since my TT which was like 6 years ago, I should pull it down and re-explore. I also semi-recently read Light On Life by BKS Iyengar, which i very much enjoyed. Some people are not that fond of his writing style, but the couple of his books which i have read i quite liked, including Light on the Yoga Sutras, which helped me tremendously to ingest the Sutras.

But i've already got some books by Pema Chodron in the cue, so i'll have to get through those before i re-visit anything else
#46 of 51 Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 AM

I got about 1/2 way through Autobiography of a Yogi and had to return it to the library. I really need to get it back out and finish it. I live about 30 minutes from the Self Realization Center in California so its a part of local history.

I'm currently reading The Yoga of Breath by Richard Rosen, which is making me want to read Light on Pranayama.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#47 of 51 Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

i haven't read Autobiography of a Yogi in a long time, but i have reread Kriyananda's Kriya Yoga book. the intro pages (before the asana part) are really great.

i really am not reading any yoga books right now. most of mine are packed for the move, saving out only a few that i use regularly as reference texts. though i think another spin through Eat Pray Love might be a good plan.

as for yoga nidra, i'm not sure how it differs from my regular "savasana" practice. that is, back when i first started studying with a teacher and teaching, we would do these long, guided meditations at the end of class while the students were in savasana. typically, they would be 10-20 minutes, and then when we did our "long class" (4 hrs), they would be 30-40 minutes. I do a yoga nidra for my students at the end of every "sweet and slow" class that i lead each saturday. it's only 1.25 hrs long, but i do the nidra/guided meditation in the last 10 mintues, and the rest is yin. prior to savasana, we always do nadishodhana (alternate nostirl breathing for energetic cleansing).

i do about 4 different pranayamas other than ujjayi pretty much every practice--kapalabhati, agnipranayama, nadishodhana, and the one withthe arms that bikram does. i don't know the name of it, but i love it early in the practice to open up the rib cage. then breath of fire, then towards the end, kapalabhati, then nadis shodhana. and of course, doing ujjayi (partial) throughout. i do full ukkayi in the shower each morning, and i would say i do different rentensions about once a month or so.

pranayama is really powerful work.
#48 of 51 Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM

re: yoga nidra. i have always done a guided meditation at the end of my classes. but this teacher i met, and whom i got a chance to practice with, did an hour long yoga nidra, which was very different experientially than any guided meditation i'd experienced during savasana. really powerful and amazing stuff. i'd read Richard Freeman's book, but his CD that came with it was so uninspiring to me. i really disliked his languaging (you can only hear "radiant orb" so many times before it loses its panache ). This woman was coming from a different place, though the heart of it was the same IYKWIM.

my teaching is heading in a more therapeutic direction, and i think this would be a wonderful technique to cultivate more skill in.

love nadi shodhana, i teach it often. i don't honestly feel comfortable enough with the rest of my pranayama practice to teach it to anyone else yet.

its interesting how all my children respond to ujjayi breath - hearing it instantly calms them down. it's my 'ace in the hole' when they get really upset.
#49 of 51 Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

for me, most guided meditations are just weird and in a completely different direction than i would go. for example, i remember one where they asked me to invision a 'temple or sacred space' and so i envisioned that, and then they said "there is a big TV in that space, turn it on." and i was like "there ain't no TV i n my sacred space!" and then i just got completely off track and ticked that there had to be a TV because the whole meditation was about what you were watching on that damn TV. in my mind, you might say "imagine the most perfect and comfortable room with a BIG TV." then, i might be game. but this one was not good.

another time, it was "imagine a perfect and sacred space" and then it was something about flowers, except that i was literally floating on the ocean. and then i was suppoed to let my inner child plant flowers there and watch them grow. and i was like "what? how am i supposed to grow flowers on the ocean." perhaps i'm a literalist or ssomething, but it just took me entirely out of the meditation.

i also remember one where we were "going to a place of peace" and then the thing went on to describe "the joys roller coaster" which, btw, i happen to HATE roller coasters. LOL ok, not hate, i just don't like them and don't ride them. ha!

so, most of the guided meditations that i've done, whether called a yoga nidra or not, have been more about chakras, or energy, or light radiating, or radient orbs, or what have you. one of my favorites was about checking in with each cell of the body, and the teacher would name different cells and you would bless each cell with "you are happy and well!" and the cell would say "i am happy and well!" so it was like "liver cells" and "finger bone cells" and so on. it was fun.

it's interesting, though, how that goes. most of my meditations are just 'on the spot.' i don't spend any time writing or creating them. i just sort of "channel" them. i thinkt he longest i've done is 35 mintues, followed by silence, and going as long as the person wanted to go. some people got up quickly, others were there for a long while longer. i think the longest stayed an extra hour. it was cool. that was at the retreat that i did two years ago.
#50 of 51 Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM

that is really funny, because it has been the case for me with a lot of guided meditations as well, having that voice in my head going "that doesn't belong there" or "that's not where i want to go/what i want to do now that i'm here." though it rarely blows the meditation completely for me, probably because my dad is a psychologist who has been doing guided meditation and hypnosis with me since i was a teeny kid, so i find it quite easy to slip into that state at the slightest invitation so while part of my mind starts getting analytical, another part goes "shut up and enjoy it!" and i usually listen to that voice

perhaps it's just that this woman's brand of yoga nidra resonated with me and maybe it's annoying the person next to me, but we did discuss the practice afterwards and she did talk about how she tries to not do a lot of the things you've described. also, the part where she does anything descriptive like that is pretty brief in the overall picture, and you're pretty deeply in before any of that occurs. dunno, but it made me feel like this afterwards

one of my most favorite guided meditations ever was at another one of my therapeutic TT weekends, google Adam Gainsburg Breath of the Soul. i'm pretty sure you can even download an Mp3. it was really nice. no visualization at all (or at least not the one he did with us... dunno about the mp3)

speaking of which, i really want to get the kids asleep early tonight so i can do a yoga nidra before i go to bed. i've been super stressed out lately, my dad is dealing with leukemia and my DH has been unemployed for almost 6 months, so whatever i can do to relax and let some of it go is helpful. lots of anxiety lately that i need to shake, and that usually helps. so off to coax little people into an early bedtime
#51 of 51 Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

i'll def check it out, see if i can get a few pointers anyway. it's always good to learn different techniques.

sorry about your dad and dh. i hope everything comes together for both of them soon! and of course, i hope you had a restful nidra.

we have colds here. i neti'd, but i don't think hawk will go for it. LOL we're also drinking a hot lemon beverage (lemon, ginger, ceyanne, honey). it's pretty good. feels good on the sore throat.

i need to make soup though. i can't decide what kind to make. i might make vegetarian 'chicken' noodle with some seitan. i love chicken noodle when i'm not feeling well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page