Sept. Yoga Mamas - Saluting the Sun - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: The more I do yoga the more I am learning. I'm not saying everyday is great or that I can even concentrate some days. But, I had a breakthrough today with my breath that I think will be helpful.

I've also decided to make a 40 day commitment. I will be doing the same DVD for 40 consecutive days. I ordered Maya Fiennes and Gurmukh. I will do the Maya one first as it deals mainly with the first three chakras and that is where I want to focus for now.

In the meantime, I am doing Baron Baptiste and I love his teaching. Also, Yoga Today www.yogatoday.com has some great videos online. You can watch most of them for free on YouTube.

What's happening with your practice? What are your goals?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I haven't been on mdc for a while, but am looking for a place to chat with others about yoga, and remembered you guys being here.

Does anyone here practice Ashtanga yoga? I just started at a studio that's new to my small town, and I had never done yoga before, so I just jumped right in! So far I love it. I'm always the modified girl (most everyone else in the classes has more experience), but I'm learning a lot and feel so good afterward.

I have a question. Today, for the first time, I got really nauseous and started sweating A LOT within the first 30 min. I hadn't had anything to eat before, and I typically don't (it's a morning practice). My instructor said that the body can get very warm if you are deep in your breathing, and that might be why I did. She said it happens, and to do child's pose if I need to. Does this ever happen to you? If so, do you know why?
#3 of 51 Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

I mainly do Vinyasa because the one Baptiste video is all I have for Hatha yoga, and then Kundalini. However, I have done Ashtanga and I think most of the Hatha styles the experience can be similar.

Breath - I definitely think the teacher knows. Unless of course you weren't breathing enough, but I doubt that with how you felt. I have never gotten nauseous, but I don't in general, but I have gotten really warm, clamy and light-headed feeling eventhough I was breathing. I find it is at times when my concentration is good and my breathing is consistent and deep. I breathe more, try to see if I am holding tension anywhere. Strain less - Breathe more. It usually helps, then I feel so light and free.

HTH!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaley View Post
Does anyone here practice Ashtanga yoga?
I practice Ashtanga primary 1, among other things. I'm also a 200 hour teacher.

Quote:
Today, for the first time, I got really nauseous and started sweating A LOT within the first 30 min. I hadn't had anything to eat before, and I typically don't (it's a morning practice).
It's best not to eat for at least 2 hours before practice, so you are doing the right thing. Sweating during Ashtanga is normal and it helps detox the body. How much people sweat really depends on lots of things so I don't know if you were sweating more than would be ideal for YOUR body.

Getting nauseous, though, isn't a good thing. I agree to take child's pose. I've never gotten nauseous during yoga, but I have gotten dizzy. The more my practice advances, the more comfortable I am taking child's pose. At first people tend to think that they need to keep up, or they don't want to seem weak or something.

But that's not what yoga is about. Part of what yoga is about is getting in better touch with your body, listening to yourself by quieting your thoughts. So letting go of ego and just taking child's pose is more advanced yoga than "just getting through the series."

BTW, are you staying plenty hydrated? Drinking lots of water before, during and after practice?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

when we breathe properly in yoga, we are likely to sweat, because we naturally move towards ujjayi pranayama.

ujjayi pranayama, though, is a very powerful breath technique. it can, in the early days of practice, bring a feeling of nausea and light headedness. this, plus the sweat, is an indication that you were breathing properly.

but, as your teacher suggested, when you feel this way, it is a good idea to take a break in child's pose. as your energy body and physical body become more aligned through pranayama, these feelings will pass. and then you'll be able to go on normally.

i've decided to take on teaching more classes--3-5 more per week. i'm psyched to do so. luckily, i like the child care provider, and class will be 1 hr long, so i can take another .5- 1 hr for myself and either practice or do other fun fitness stuff.
#6 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 PM

I've never tried doing yoga before, what would you recommend for a beginner? I live in a small town and they offer Ashtanga or Fit Flow Yoga. I wasn't sure which would be better. I'm hoping to learn how to relax. Thanks!

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
#7 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoney View Post
I live in a small town and they offer Ashtanga or Fit Flow Yoga. I wasn't sure which would be better.
Try them both and see which you enjoy more.

A lot depends on the teacher, and two classes with the same name can be very different, or two classes with different names can be very similar. Plus, different people like different things.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#8 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoney View Post
I've never tried doing yoga before, what would you recommend for a beginner? I live in a small town and they offer Ashtanga or Fit Flow Yoga. I wasn't sure which would be better. I'm hoping to learn how to relax. Thanks!
I agree here. Places usually offer a reduced "try it" class. Or you could Netflix, rent, or buy a few DVDs to get an idea.

Oh, the yogatoday website I listed in my pp has various styles and you can watch for free. Also, yoga journal.

#9 of 51 Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 PM

What an apt title for the thread as my goal this month is do the Sun Salutations and some every morning. It just sets the tone for the day.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#10 of 51 Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for the responses.
I'm going to go do some yoga now that the kids are in bed.
#11 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 AM

Hi everyone... I'm still mostly doing Vinyasa...usually an intermediate heated class, three mornings a week, plus the odd 4th class. Tried a Kundalini class last week and really loved it...as I miss the amount of pranayama and meditation I was previously doing...and haven't been as disciplined as I like lately in doing that myself. My goal is to be going to class 4 days a week and home practicing (at least a short practice) on most other days. The studio I am at only offers the Kundalini during the day...but we homeschool, so it rarely works for me to go then (my morning classes are at 6 am, before dh leaves for work). Anyone recommend a good Kundalini video??

Managed to finally get into and hold Crow this week : Felt great ;-) which was a boon because a couple of days prior I had a session that had my wondering why I thought I liked yoga at all!!

Has anyone tried "Jivamukti'??

Chandra
#12 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

jivamukti is a strong vinyasa flow sequence (generally speaking). it's a fun practice.

i also like kundalini and miss it. we don't have a kundalini teacher in our collective, and so i don't get any kundalini classes in. LOL mostly, free-form vinyasa is our deal (and some yin). so, htat's mostly what i get.

last night was a disappointment for me. we went with my husband's coworker Seema to see the North American swamiji for their guruji Sri Nithyananda. it was a talk, a meditation, a healing, and a meal.

well, we were told we could bring hawk, and so we did. he's walking now, so when he's awake, he's BUSY. for the most part, he's a quiet, happy baby, so it's not like he's too much to deal with, but he's on the move!

i expected that things like the altar, etc, would be up where he couldn't reach (on a table). he's flame crazy (likes to blow out candles), and he kept heading right for guriji's image (where the candle was) and trying to blow it out. then, when i would remove him, he would squawk. did i mention it was on the floor? anyway, i took him outside.

because we all came together--dh, hawk, and i--i couldn't leave and take hawk home, so i spent 3 hrs following him as he walked around. TEDIUM, extreme TEDIUM.

and, it had been a long "day" for me. i do all of the night parenting, and i do all of the day parenting, and my husband does some parenting (30-45 minutes of play time plus pottying) at night when he gets home from work (he also parents when i'm working in the evenings/weekends--usually for no more than 2 hrs).

well, wednesday night, DH came home from work, then went to his men's meeting (1x per month). so, i had hawk from tuesday night at bed time through wednesday entirely, and then through the night into thursday. i had him thursday entirely (as in, hawk woke up and i bathed, dressed, and fed him, drove DH to work, then took hawk to the park, then lunch, then nap, then park again, then pick up DH, and dinner, and then this event.

so, then i went home and hawk was in bed, and we went to sleep to (it was about 10:30), and then this morning DH drives himself to work, and hawk didn't get up before he left, so i've been going without a break of any kind since tuesday!

i'm exhausted. yes. i have done my yoga and meditation in the am (with hawk there), and i've been keeping up with the household chores, and doing our paperwork for NZ. and, i also teach my classes. i seriously need some 'me' time.

so, i'm disappointed that i missed out on the bit (though i did get to eat), and i realized that i should have stayed home with hawk and let dh go to the event (because he was more interested in it than i am/was), and then just be able to rest more at home that evening.

upshot is that i was able to effectively communicate to DH that i need time for myself and he has to be willing to give some things up to do that--just as i gave up going to this event to watch hawk while he walked around and aroudn and around the library, while DH got to be at this event and meditate, etc.

so, i think i'm going to go to meditation and yoga on sunday morning (9:30-12). also, DH is not going to go and see lawrence of arabia (his fav movie playing at a local theater for their sunday classic), because i asked him not to, as i want to finish the NZ paperwork this weekend and get it off by friday of next week and i need his help to do it.

that's where i am. LOL
#13 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2honeysmamma View Post
Hi everyone... I'm still mostly doing Vinyasa...usually an intermediate heated class, three mornings a week, plus the odd 4th class. Tried a Kundalini class last week and really loved it...as I miss the amount of pranayama and meditation I was previously doing...and haven't been as disciplined as I like lately in doing that myself. My goal is to be going to class 4 days a week and home practicing (at least a short practice) on most other days. The studio I am at only offers the Kundalini during the day...but we homeschool, so it rarely works for me to go then (my morning classes are at 6 am, before dh leaves for work). Anyone recommend a good Kundalini video??

Managed to finally get into and hold Crow this week : Felt great ;-) which was a boon because a couple of days prior I had a session that had my wondering why I thought I liked yoga at all!!

Has anyone tried "Jivamukti'??

Chandra
Hi! We have a lot in common. I also homeschool and do Vinyasa with a Baron Baptiste VHS when I'm not doing Kundalini. I also got into crow this week!!! : I wanted to stay there for the rest of the class and got so giddy that I had to really try hard to refocus. hehe.

As far as Kundalini yoga I'd recommend Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa and her DVD as well as Maya Fiennes. April Bernardi (Nirankar Kaur) also has a double DVD with a 40 minute and a 20 minute class that is decent for those more experienced. www.yogatech.com has a great selection of Kundalini DVDs as well as a paid online webcast class with Guru Rattana. I'm getting ready to commit to 40 days of the Maya Fiennes DVD Detox and Destress. It is a beautiful set. Netflix carries a decent amount of Kundalini DVDs as well.
www.yogatoday.com has free classes with Sarah Kline in Kundalini, but they are not "by the book" in many ways. I still enjoy them though. There is one Karmic Kundalini that is a 30 minute class that is posted on YouTube that is a good one.

#14 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
upshot is that i was able to effectively communicate to DH that i need time for myself and he has to be willing to give some things up to do that--just as i gave up going to this event to watch hawk while he walked around and aroudn and around the library, while DH got to be at this event and meditate, etc.

so, i think i'm going to go to meditation and yoga on sunday morning (9:30-12). also, DH is not going to go and see lawrence of arabia (his fav movie playing at a local theater for their sunday classic), because i asked him not to, as i want to finish the NZ paperwork this weekend and get it off by friday of next week and i need his help to do it.

that's where i am. LOL
I have tried to ask for the 1 hour a day to do yoga. DH is busy much like yours and I do most of the parenting day and night. Though that's the job I chose, I do need some down time. I've been trying to practice with my girls around but find I get upset when interrupted and that is hard. Hopefully, I'll learn not to do that. I totally understand where you are coming from here.

#15 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look on that site to see the different styles. I'm going to try the Fit Flow class because it's closest to my house!!! Can't wait to learn! :

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
#16 of 51 Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

i do ok getting my practices in while hawk is alseep or just hanging out on/around me while i practice. i find, though, that i just don't get a lot of "down" time or 'break' time and he seems to get a lot of perks IMO.

he goes to the gym 2x wk; he goes to men's meeting 1x mo; he goes out and meditates and has a long walk alone for 1 hr day; and then there are other things. so, i don't feel like i 'get' what i want, because i'm always trying to arrange it so that he "gets' what he wants so that he isn't cranky pants. because i don't like cranky pants.

but i did reach the threshold last night. so, i told him. it was kind and no problem, but he needed to know.
#17 of 51 Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I practice Ashtanga primary 1, among other things. I'm also a 200 hour teacher.

It's best not to eat for at least 2 hours before practice, so you are doing the right thing. Sweating during Ashtanga is normal and it helps detox the body. How much people sweat really depends on lots of things so I don't know if you were sweating more than would be ideal for YOUR body.

Getting nauseous, though, isn't a good thing. I agree to take child's pose. I've never gotten nauseous during yoga, but I have gotten dizzy. The more my practice advances, the more comfortable I am taking child's pose. At first people tend to think that they need to keep up, or they don't want to seem weak or something.

But that's not what yoga is about. Part of what yoga is about is getting in better touch with your body, listening to yourself by quieting your thoughts. So letting go of ego and just taking child's pose is more advanced yoga than "just getting through the series."

BTW, are you staying plenty hydrated? Drinking lots of water before, during and after practice?
I am an Ashtanga teacher and agree with all this. The nausea may be part of your detox....I suggest slowing down a bit--are you working one on one with a teacher Mysore style or in a group class? Namaste
#18 of 51 Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi Luke's Mum, I think it was because I hadn't had enough water that morning, and also maybe because of where I was in my cycle. I have never had that experience (then again, I've only been doing this for a month) so it's not typical for me at all.

I'm in a studio. It's a very small class, and we're not doing the first Primary series yet, because my instructor wants us to work on the basics for a while longer...so I don't know if I'm correct in saying it's actually Ashtanga, but hopefully eventually I'll be there! I absolutely love it.

Great to hear from instructors here!
#19 of 51 Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow I was going to start a 40 day commitment to a certain set of Kundalini yoga. I was so looking forward to it, but AF came and I'm unsure of how to proceed. I had been doing a yogatoday practice for your cycle that is Ashtanga I think during AF. How do you all approach yoga during moon time?

#20 of 51 Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

for me, it's entirely intuitive. i got my first period since the pregnancy the week after hawk's birthday (first weekend of Sept). it was tough in a lot of ways--i don't remember feeling so 'hit by a truck' as i did on saturday (second day), but that was also in combination of having to be with my ILs.

anyway, i just do what my body wants to do. that particular day, i did a restorative practice when i got home, though other times (in the past) i've done vigorous stuff.

-----

i went to a nice class today. it was great to be in the energy of others and feel such a strong practice. my left hip/leg/knee/ankle is interesting since the birth. i've realigned the hip (it was out of place from the birth), and the pelvic floor is nice and strong. so, good on those fronts. but, the ankle compensated during the last year, and now i have a bit of knee ache and ankle ache after a time (usually while walking or running). so, i'm trying to figure that out, and i know there's a fascia/IT band situation involved too.

luckily, i get massage starting next week! woot!

and, i'm starting up two classes per week at the gym starting on tuesday. that's extra income AND i can go to the other three yoga classes per week there, since they have child care, if i want. or, i can work out. so, that's a benefit.

though, admittedly, i'm really just wanting to sauna. lol! i love to sauna. ha!
#21 of 51 Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Do any of you know of a good place to get affordable yoga clothes online?
#22 of 51 Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

i like american apparel. they are fair trade, have some organics, the fit is nice, and they last about 2-3 years of hard wear (and i mean *very* hard wear). they have lots of different cuts/styles too.

of course, the sizes tend to run a bit small. so you might have to buy a size up.
#23 of 51 Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
How do you all approach yoga during moon time?
I usually take the first day or two off. When I feel like practicing, I tend to do a lot of forward bends because my lower back hurts. And I skip the inversions.

#24 of 51 Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM

I know what you mean about being giddy over crow (or really any asana that you've worked toward!) Honestly, even though I don't really "need" the validation, yesterday, at my vinyasa class, the woman next to me, whispered "hey, great job!" while I was in crow and I was happy that someone noticed! Of course, I promptly lost my focus and fell on my face and I'm sure I need to work on my attachement to ego or some such thing!

Thanks for the DVD recommendations...I really appreciate it.

Chandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
Hi! We have a lot in common. I also homeschool and do Vinyasa with a Baron Baptiste VHS when I'm not doing Kundalini. I also got into crow this week!!! : I wanted to stay there for the rest of the class and got so giddy that I had to really try hard to refocus. hehe.

As far as Kundalini yoga I'd recommend Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa and her DVD as well as Maya Fiennes. April Bernardi (Nirankar Kaur) also has a double DVD with a 40 minute and a 20 minute class that is decent for those more experienced. www.yogatech.com has a great selection of Kundalini DVDs as well as a paid online webcast class with Guru Rattana. I'm getting ready to commit to 40 days of the Maya Fiennes DVD Detox and Destress. It is a beautiful set. Netflix carries a decent amount of Kundalini DVDs as well.
www.yogatoday.com has free classes with Sarah Kline in Kundalini, but they are not "by the book" in many ways. I still enjoy them though. There is one Karmic Kundalini that is a 30 minute class that is posted on YouTube that is a good one.
#25 of 51 Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Hey (( Zoebird))...I just wanted to say, that I get where you are at with the full-time parenting and need for time for yourself.

It is very hard to find balance. My dh tends toward the "well, this is what you wanted...what you chose" type of thinking (he's a very analytical, logical type) and I struggle with communicating to him that just because I want time to myself...or help with something does not mean that I want to choose differently. I love being home with my kids...love homeschooling them...but am also a person that NEEDS solo time to regenerate. One does not invalidate the other, ykwim? I think, it is especially hard to be where you are...in the no sleep zone! My kids are a bit older and though my youngest still comes to sleep with us most nights...he is quiet about it and no longer requires my direct attention...just slips in and goes back to sleep. He's 5...but needed intensive night time parenting for a very long time.

When you wrote about the "tedium" of following around your son for 3 hours...it reminded me that meditation comes in all forms and it isn't always easy or restful!!! Have you read "Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting" by Jon and Myla Kabat-Zinn?? It's one of my favorite books on parenting and mindfulness and I refer to it often...especially when I'm exhausted and can't seem to get around it.

anyway... "I hear ya', sister" It sounds like you are on the right track, asking for what you need. Keep up the yoga and meditation...

I'm going to have to try the jivamukti...

Chandra
#26 of 51 Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
for me, it's entirely intuitive. i got my first period since the pregnancy the week after hawk's birthday (first weekend of Sept). it was tough in a lot of ways--i don't remember feeling so 'hit by a truck' as i did on saturday (second day), but that was also in combination of having to be with my ILs.
i had that same 'hit by a truck' feeling my first time after pregnancy. it felt so shocking. and i do hope you get some time for yourself, more cooperation and a deeper spirit of giving from your spouse.

i have been practicing too much on my own and thus craving time with a teacher. like others, i have the childcare problem if i want to go take a class. asking dp for an hour makes him sigh and moan, and when i say "an hour plus travel = two hours" dp looks even more annoyed.

for now, i'm thinking of buying a book to re-inspire my home practice. usually i am free form vinyasa, a la shiva rea, but i am drawn to ashtanga.
i'd like to get David Swenson's practice book and/or Yoga Mala, which i have read but do not own.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#27 of 51 Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

i have read everyday blessings. but i do think that the tedium of that was partly the fact that i'd been doing the same work all day. at home, or taking him to audubon park where he has a lot of open lawn to 'free range' around--it's not at all exhausting. that's no problem at all. but when i'm keeping his hands off of windows, from pulling books off of shelves, from grabbing people's bags, squealing loudly in delight or shagrin--that's when it's a LOT of tedious work.

it was raining, and i was sans gear, or i would have just taken him outside (the library has a lovely big lawn that leads down to a beautiful play-equipment area--i'm sure we would have had a much better time if i'd not been trapped inside keeping him at bay).

as for getting more time to myself, it is working. once i start back teaching at the gym, i'll be able to use their child care for when i work out. also, i'm probably going to take 1-2 classes per week at the studio as well. i had such a HUGE buzz after last week's class that i can't wait to go back.

and a studio asked me to teach for them, but the pay is *ridiculously* low. it was lower than i get in a gym! i didn't realize that most studios are paying $25 LOWER now than they were in 2002! i'm so glad i work in the collective now.
#28 of 51 Old 09-17-2009, 11:12 PM

I just agreed to sub next Friday. This will be my first time teaching in 6 years. I'm going to need tons of yoga this week to calm my nerves.

#29 of 51 Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

funkymamajoy - Shanti, shanti, shanti...

I had originally committed to 40 straight days of the same kriyas of Kundalini. I've realized this is impossible with our schedule. 5 days a week of yoga is all I can manage to get in, so I'm going with a meditation instead. 40 straight days. I'm not sure which one yet, hopefully something working with the 1st chakra.

#30 of 51 Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM

I just found the family and parenting section of yogajournal.com. How did I not know it was there?

AF arrived this morning, so I'm taking the day off from the mat and thinking about what I want for the upcoming month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page