Why am I gaining weight after starting a weight loss program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's only been two weeks so I'm not looking for miracles, but I certainly didn't expect to gain weight! I've been doing a variety of cardio (intensive step class, stairmaster, zumba, walking), averaging about 5-6 hours per week. I've also done two, 1 hour pilates classes each week. I was doing absolutely no working out prior to this. I have also cut my daily calorie intake by 200-300 calories. Why the heck have I gained 5lbs since starting this new program? I am so disappointed and feeloing very hopeless about losing weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do not weigh yourself. There are so many factors that come into play when you start a new work out and diet regimine. Water retention and adding muscle are two things that can cause temporary weight gain. But, you may be loosing inches.

Stay off the scale, keep doing what you're doing and most importantly, try to track your progress by inches lost, not the number on the scale.
#3 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why most of us believe that exercise makes us thinner—and why we're wrong.

It's a kind of long article but worth the read. In a nutshell: The 'calories in, calories out' theory of weight loss is all wrong.
#4 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

what's your diet like?
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
what's your diet like?
Generally, I don't eat breakfast. I know this is a huge no-no, but I'm just not hungry until about 10am when I'll have some kind of bar (i.e. KIND or a Boomi Bar). Lunch is usually a salad, with veggies and nuts, and a low-cal dressing or a sandwich on whole grain bread made with seeds. Dinner is a protien, veggie and sometimes a starch. I'm really watching my carbs (trying to limit to about 60grams a day) and have cut my portion sizes down a lot. Starting tomorrow I will be counting calories so I can really track how much I'm eating. Oh, and I don't eat after 7pm.

I feel very discouraged, as I really thought I'd see some loss by now.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!
#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 AM

sounds like you may not be eating enough food so your body is holding onto every calorie.

Cardio is good for burning fat, but you're not gaining muscle which will give your a higher metabolism. I'd cut back on the cardio & add in more muscle building activities.

I'd also be patient, it's only been 2 weeks.
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
What we weigh is about what we eat -- not about how much we exercise.

I do WW points, not calories. The principle is the same though -- you need to eat enough to fuel your body, but just a little less than you are burning. For me, it's really a narrow range. Eating more than that amount and I don't lose, and eating less than that amount and I still don't lose. Also, if you are close to or already in your healthy weight range, it is much more difficult to lose weight.

BTW, I struggled with my weight and making up my own program for YEARS before just biting the bullet, joining WW, and then losing the extra weight. I lost about 1/3 of my body weight and now easily maintain.

Exercise is great and will reshape your body, make you healthier, and help with emotional balance, but it isn't the key to weight lose. (sorry!)

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page