Keep gaining weight despite dietary and exercise changes..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so frustrated. I've been working out 5x a week, eating better (between 1500 and 1800 calories a day when I actually calculate it), and still gaining weight! I had my thyroid checked a couple of months ago, levels were fine. I weighed myself this morning and want to cry. I'm 0.8 lbs away from being 200 lbs. I know I shouldn't trust the scale but even my pants are tighter. No matter what I do, I still gain weight!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not all calories are created equal. 1500 calories from carbs will affect your body differently than 1500 calories from fat and protein.

Can you give us an example of a daily meal plan?

And, are you actually weighing and measuring and tracking your food or are you estimating your calories?
#3 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I just looked at what I weighed after my surgery. May 28th I was 186.0. Now today I'm 199.2.

I actually track my calories using spark people. Not every day, but every 3 days or so to make sure I'm in my daily calorie range.

Ok, so yesterday:

Breakfast: baked oatmeal (made with oats, flax seeds, soy milk, apple sauce, baking powder, chopped fresh peaches on the bottom) with a sploosh of soy milk.

Lunch: leftover spinach and meat lasagna, caesar salad.

Snack: peach

Dinner: deer sausage, roasted vegetables (potato, onion, garlic, carrot, mushrooms), green salad.

Snack: tiny bowl of ice cream
#4 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM

It looks like you're eating a lot of carbs. I might start with trying to eliminate some of your carb and try to only have them early in the day. Have your oatmeal for breakfast (but, I would cut out the apple sauce and use coconut oil instead and I wouldn't put fruit in it at all).

Then for lunch, instead of the lasagna or other carb heavy food have a salad with some salmon or egg salad - just protein and fat with your salad.

Instead of a peach for a snack, have some full fat yogurt with berries or a cheese stick.

The dinner looks great but, I'd cut out the potatoes and just do roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms with the sausage. Dinner should always be low carb - meat and veggies only.

For your after dinner treat, how about a couple squares of dark chocolate?

You don't have to make huge dramatic changes but, you may find if you take out some of the carbs and replace it with fat and protein that it will be easier to loose.
#5 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I had my thyroid checked a couple of months ago, levels were fine.
Do you know what your levels are? Lab ranges are often woefully out of date.
fp
#6 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM

The major problem that I see is soy. It can definitely cause weight gain and suppress thyroid function. I suggest grass-fed non-homogenized whole milk, (raw if possible) instead, and this should facilitate with your weight loss.

I also would like to recommend this article called "CALORIES: A TOTAL MYTH AND UNPROVEN THEORY" written by Ron Kosloff. It is a PDF file. I think it has excellent information on how to lose weight. Highly recommended: http://www.vincegironda-nsp.com/articles/calories.pdf

I personally advocate internal cleansing too, which I think should help. Colon cleansing, parasite cleansing and liver/gallbladder flushing.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#7 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
The major problem that I see is soy. It can definitely cause weight gain and suppress thyroid function. I suggest grass-fed non-homogenized whole milk, (raw if possible) instead, and this should facilitate with your weight loss.
I don't do dairy milk. I get an instant stomach ache.
#8 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I don't do dairy milk. I get an instant stomach ache.
Ok, how about substituting with coconut milk? Native Forest brand is BPA-free.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#9 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM

I was so frustrated with my weight until a few months ago. Two things I've done differently.

1) I upped my exercise. Used to just walk 5-6x/week for 40-60 min depending on how much time I had. (2.5-4 miles). This summer it was over 100* most of the summer, and I had to get up at 5:30 just to have time to go before DH went to work and it go too hot. I started doing the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels of the Biggest Loser. Let me tell you, it's a 20 minute workout that is sooo efficient! No wasted time. I love it. At first I didn't lose anything at all -- I gained, but after 3 weeks I started dropping 2lbs(ish) a week. Now I've lost 15lbs since June.

2) The other major thing I did was cut carbs. I didn't think I would need to, but it really did help. I eat a lot more protein, tons of avocados, and lots of fresh veggies, cheese, salmon, salad, roasted veggies. I still eat white pasta and rice and potatoes, I just watch my portions and pile on a big salad with a small portion of whatever the carb is at a given meal. I have a small piece of dark chocolate after my girls are asleep every night as a treat. I occasionally still have a nice crusty buttered piece of bread with dinner, or a bowl of ice cream. I just don't do it as frequently. One other major change is I started eating a huge, protein and fat breakfast. Two scrambled eggs with cheese (the only way I can stomach them), served with avocado and salsa. I crunch up 3-4 tortilla chips for texture on top. That's breakfast. I get full and have tons of energy. Then I eat smallish lunch and reasonable dinner. But I'm not as snacky by midday as I used to be. Today I had yogurt for breakfast, a chicken pasta dish for lunch, and at 3pm I'm hungry. It really does make a difference.

Good luck. I'm so sorry you're frustrated. It is miserable. I've still got 20lbs I'd like to lose. It's slow going, but I'm hoping for success.
#10 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM

I was stuck in the same place that you are, talked to my doctor about it and everything. I don't know if you're on any medication, but I ended up decreasing my medication somewhat to see if that would help. My doctor also recommended I change my diet... not necessarily lower calories, but different calories. Just changing it up to get your body out of it's rut and into something else. In my case I was eating a ton of lean protein and veggies and I actually ate more carbs and found myself feeling a lot more satisfied. I also changed my workout routine to be totally different every day, shorter and more intense for my "workout" and then added more easy activity later in the day.

This was all helping, slowly, but it was working! Then I got pregnant and morning sickness has made the scale my very best friend.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#11 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM

What are you doing for exercise?
#12 of 21 Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Alternating between jogging and walking (about 90 second speed walk, 30 second jog) for 40-60 minutes.
#13 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 AM

If you can, I would ask for a re-run of thyroid tests. Considering the stress of your last few months, it is possible that it's a "sudden change" (thyroid problems, I mean)... And hypothyroidism is pretty notorious for hitting during or just after incredibly stressful periods... With the surgery and then your house...
The other thing I might consider is adrenal fatigue. Increase b vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A... I'm sure I'm missing one. Although the more "classic" symptom of adrenal fatigue is weight loss, the other extreme can be true of it as well.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM

It could be candida/yeast. I had a problem with weight gain, swollen/bloated. I could not lose weight no matter what I did. I tried a cleanse, raw food diet etc.

Found out I had a big candida problem. It cleard up fast after taking some herbs my naturopathic gave me and I stopped eating sugar. PM for more info.

xoxoxox

#15 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
It could be candida/yeast. I had a problem with weight gain, swollen/bloated. I could not lose weight no matter what I did. I tried a cleanse, raw food diet etc.

Found out I had a big candida problem. It cleard up fast after taking some herbs my naturopathic gave me and I stopped eating sugar. PM for more info.
If you have amalgam (aka "silver") fillings, please be very cautious of killing off candida.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#16 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
If you have amalgam (aka "silver") fillings, please be very cautious of killing off candida.
Why???
Man, is there anything that these blasted amalgams don't mess with?
#17 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Why???
Man, is there anything that these blasted amalgams don't mess with?
Candida traps and holds onto mercury... kill the candida and you have a sudden dump of mercury.

#18 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM

I would add strength training to your regime. I also second the Jillian Michaels DVD, it really has a good, varied work out in each slot.

Sounds like you might still have too many carbs in your diet as well. What do your portion sizes look like? Even if you're eating healthier foods, you can still overdo it with the portion sizes.

I try to have the ratio of veggies to meat at least 2:1, if not more. Make sure you're not using a lot of oil to cook things in, steamed veggies with a pat of butter or Mrs. Dash are much healthier than veggies baked with oil.
#19 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM

And remember that gaining weight can be the sign of a food intolerance where your body is trying to dilute the allergen. If you've already got a dairy intolerance, it's possible. Just trying to think outside the box since your calorie intake looks fine to me and your exercise level is better than mine.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#20 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Also, it might be time to kick up your intervals and try jogging longer and walking less.
#21 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Although taking to your doctor, checking on prescription meds, etc. are all good things to do, if you are otherwise healthy, your weight is about what you eat.

Right now you are only giving this a part effort. You don't track your calories everyday because it isn't important enough to you, and when you listed what you ate you didn't include portion sizes. I doubt that you are weighing or measuring anything. Some of the foods you listed could have very different calories based on exact what is them (such as lasagne, salad, ice cream, deer sausage) yet you added no details. I suspect that you are consuming far more calories than you realize -- which is why you keep gaining weight.

Not keeping track of what you eating and being unhappy at the scale is like not writing down when you write a check or use your ATM card and then being suprised when you are overdrawn. Saying "Lunch: leftover spinach and meat lasagna, caesar salad." like making an entry in your check book that says "Target" but not putting down an amount. It's not helpful to you and will not help you reach your goals.

I'm not following how you eat ice cream and lasanga but not milk.

I lost 70 pounds and I'm keeping it off. Soy milk is not a problem for me -- I usually consume FF milk but when my hayfever kick up I switch to light unflavored calcium-fortified soy.

BTW, when I got tired of being overweight and struggling, I joined Weight Watchers and lost the weight. I learned to keep a food journal every single day and be ruthlessly honest with myself about my eating.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page